NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

finicky temp guage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: finicky temp guage
    Posted: April-14-2014 at 12:24pm
My temp gauge has started to peg out recently. It will work fine for a bit, then peg out. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes it does not. The sender is brand new.

When I pop the dash and move the purple signal wire, I can get the gauge to work normally. I've replaced the terminal end and notice that if i hold the wire a certain way the gauge works as it should, if I move a little more it pegs out.

I have a feeling there is something wrong inside the gauge. I've seen the Faria replacement and it is pretty different than what I have. Any suggestions on where to get a closer to stock replacement or any ideas how to fix the OEM?
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 12:28pm
Call Rod Velde (Velde 99) and see if he has any gauges left.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 12:39pm
If not, Check out Summitracing.com - Cockpit White.

2 replacement issues:
Temp range is different therefore sender change would be smart.
Pointer is different color

But they are a "match".....
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 1:05pm
I saw the Summit one from another thread. It seems to be pretty close. I also saw a NOS on ebay, but it ended two weeks ago.

Zach: I have no way to call Rod. Can you PM me his info?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 1:23pm
Rod is the EBay one...... Velde99 on this site. PM him........
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 1:41pm
Thanks guys. PM sent.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 1:49pm
When you say peg out, do you mean it behaves like they key is switched off or the opposite?

I noticed one little oddity with one of my faria gauges one time. It was actually just with the dash lighting part, it worked for the temp, it just wasn't going on with the dash lights.

Basically, the post itself wasn't connected, their was a brass trace strip on the rear that the post went through, and my ring terminal had to be pressed against that brass trace strip directly.

Long story short, make sure your ring terminal is basically solid on the post, maybe pinch it between two nuts instead of just using one nut to press it against the back of the gauge, and if the Ignition Post goes through one of those brass trace strips, make sure your ring terminal is hitting that directly.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 2:31pm
Great Lakes Skipper.com They sell all kinds of over stocked marine parts.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 2:44pm
Hey John!

I have the same issue with my 92! It has been good with a "tap" to the glass, and then got worse, took a few taps. I took the dash off, cleaned and tightened all wires, put it back together, and worked fine for about a week or two, and now requires the "tap" again. I am starting to think it not the wires at all, but the gauge itself?

Jerry
Js
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 2:50pm
I misread the original post, I was thinking you already had the Faria.

The main difference between the faria and OEM is the faria uses Post and Ring, and the OEM is a male spade.

Probably the easiest way to install the Farias are to make adapters with about 2-3 inches of wire, that have a ring terminal on one end and a male spade terminal on the other.

Then you can connect all your ring sides to the Faria and your Male Spades should plug right into the factory wiring.

But yeah, if you can find OEM replacement, all the better.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Smithfamily Smithfamily wrote:

Hey John!

I have the same issue with my 92! It has been good with a "tap" to the glass, and then got worse, took a few taps. I took the dash off, cleaned and tightened all wires, put it back together, and worked fine for about a week or two, and now requires the "tap" again. I am starting to think it not the wires at all, but the gauge itself?

Jerry

The tap would get it to work on occasion. I've checked all the connections and actually cleaned them all when the dash off during the re-gel. When she's running and the dash is loose I can add a slight touch to the signal wire and she works like normal. Once I let go and the wire moves again, she pegs out. I also notice some movement in the gauge face when moving the wires. If I can get the wire in the right spot, she'll work fine. Once there's a vibration or bump, the gauge will peg out.

Sometimes the gauge will come back, sometimes she won't. I'm pretty sure it's the gauge. I just want it fixed in case I ever have a real temp issue or for when I'm not the one driving.

I'd like to keep it stock, but know that may be hard to achieve. I think the Summit unit is the closest to stock. I'll just have to see how for it and the new sender.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 8:37pm
One more idea is to check the ground wire. Try jumping the ground to something with a new wire and see if that makes a difference. I just took some old wire (about 6ft) and soldiered alligator clips to each end. I disconnected the the old ground from the gauge and ran the new one to the engine ground.

I guess it depends on which side your gauge is pegging. Mine was going full scale.

I went through the same process last year with my 96 and it ended up being a combination of the sender and ground wire causing the "peg".

Next season I will probably redo all the grounds and install perfect pass as it's a notorious problem.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

One more idea is to check the ground wire. Try jumping the ground to something with a new wire and see if that makes a difference. I just took some old wire (about 6ft) and soldiered alligator clips to each end. I disconnected the the old ground from the gauge and ran the new one to the engine ground.

I guess it depends on which side your gauge is pegging. Mine was going full scale.

I went through the same process last year with my 96 and it ended up being a combination of the sender and ground wire causing the "peg".

Next season I will probably redo all the grounds and install perfect pass as it's a notorious problem.

Mine pegs out past 200.

I ran a fresh heavier gauge ground wire from the motor to a new bus bar under the dash last year. Also ran larger ground wires to all gauges in the dash to said ground bus. I'm pretty certain it's the gauge. The sender is only a few months old as well. So far I think I am going to go with THIS gauge. It's closest to stock. I think I'll need a new sender, but I havent looked into that yet.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 10:03pm
Ever think of having original rebuilt? Can that be done? You know how you are with perfection!!
Js
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 10:33pm
FROM A POST HERE IN 2004!! North Hollywood Speedometer, www.nhspeedometer.com.
I spoke with them and they can rebuild. Asked for a picture. I sent. Will let you know, the guy I spoke to said about $60, American.

Jerry
Js
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 11:06pm
For $31 I could live with the one from Summit. The NOS one I saw on ebay only went for $45.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 11:08pm
Go to autozone (god I can't believe I said that) and get the cheapest temp gauge they have in stock. I got one for $12.

Hook it up and run the boat to see if it does the same thing.

Then at least you know for sure before getting one rebuilt.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:28am
The NOS had the same sender range.... the new one does not.....

Rod and I are all over those '91-93 gauges. NOS are the way to go if your senders are OK.... If you need new senders, or need gauge and sender - go with new.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

The NOS had the same sender range.... the new one does not.....

Rod and I are all over those '91-93 gauges. NOS are the way to go if your senders are OK.... If you need new senders, or need gauge and sender - go with new.

I'd love to stay stock, but I missed the last one by 5 days. Rod said he would contact me if he came across another one. I've searched around and can't find anything. I may be able to wait it out a bit longer.

If yo come across anything, please let me know. Gonna see how much Summit wants for the sender too.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2014 at 12:59pm
Replaced the gauge and sender today. Seems to be working fine on the hose.

I'm not quite sure what the temp is reading in this pic, but I do know it's nowhere near 180.

Sender had several adapters to fit just about any opening.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic