NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what is this.. what the value 1965 classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 5:46pm
Check the oil level before trying to turn it over. If it is over full, you may have water in the oil. I would then pull the drain plug to see if water comes out as well. If it hasnt been run, the water will be the first to drain.

To turn it over the best thing to do is take the spark plugs out, squirt a little Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder and try turning it over by hand with a breaker bar.

If engine is not stuck, put "fresh" oil in it. I sometimes put used oil from my truck in it at this point, just to see if it will start. Hook up a battery and hotwire the iginition(unless you have the key)See if it will start, cough, sputter or anything. By the looks, expect to have to do some major work to those Carter YH carbs.

Get to this point and we can go from there.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by vee vee wrote:

i havent checkrd the oil but i will.. is there a way to spin the motor without taking it apart

You can try a socket and breaker bar on the front crank bolt but don't over do it. You don't want to strip threads! A 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone (better than any penetrating oil) down the plug holes would be a good idea just as Steve mentioned (yes, Marvel is great stuff too) I don't know why he mentioned "major" work on the YH carbs?? I too have a 312 with the YH's!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 4:17am
Pete,
Something tells me you aint going to put gas to the carbs and have them purring away. At the least, I'm guessing the YH's are going to have to be taken apart and cleaned. And more than likely they will need a rebuild to get them back in shape.

My 62 Classic has a freshly built 312 that HAD the yh's. Gary H (remember him?) started to convert it to a 4bbl but never got the job finished. Thats when I bought the boat.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 3:08pm
That motor looks locked up tight. If you have access to a video probe I would check inside the chambers before your spray in oil or try to turn it over. If it does turn over and your cylinder walls are all rusted your doing more harm than good
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 9:22pm
Steve,
So, as I understand you, you consider a carb rebuild "major" work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
So, as I understand you, you consider a carb rebuild "major" work?
For me it is....   

Actually,I did not say a carb rebuild is "major" work. If you look back, what I actually said was...
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

By the looks, expect to have to do some major work to those Carter YH carbs.
a rebuild is about as major as work can get on a YH.

The carbs would probably be one of the smallest problems of getting the Classic back on water.    
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
vee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 2:58pm
i checked the oil and it does have oil and water in it. i looked over it really good this morn and its got its ups and downs.. the top of the boat is spider cracked with moss growing in some areas but the bottom is suprizingly firm. i think its a parts boat at this point unless someone speaks up soon. ill post it for sale for a bit and see how it does but im still not sure how rare this boat is. does anyone have a pic of this boat restored or original.
thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by vee vee wrote:

does anyone have a pic of this boat restored or original.

You can go to the diary section and enter "Classic" for a search. Be cautious about what is original. Some are not!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 4:23pm
Not rare, especially in the shape yours is in, but a nice boat nonetheless. There's 2 people on CCF that have restored boats as bad as yours.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 3:42pm
Michael asked me to post some more pics of this:

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 4:40pm
Jeff,
Thanks for posting the pictures for Michael.
Yup, that hull has been out in the weather for some time.
Michael, considering the cracking in the gel, restoring the hull would be a MAJOR project with a total down to the glass and then a gel job. I'm reluctantly agreeing parting it out! Did you get the engine to turn over? Why is the front timing cover and starboard manifold plate off?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 9:06pm
i hope the timing cover isnt off to drain the water out. the one thing about the boat is that it does look to be pretty complete you could probably as said above get some decent $ for parts.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic