FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forums Back up with new SQL Server

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forums Back up with new SQL Server
    Posted: April-05-2014 at 1:04am
Sorry for the shutdown today. Working on improved performance. Moved the entire site to a new MS SQL server. Also trying to neaten up some of the connection codes to increase loading times.

Should be able to post freely now. Thank you for your patience.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2014 at 2:36am
Sorry, still working out a few issues.

- Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2014 at 10:45am
As always....thanks Keith!   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2014 at 3:35pm

Ok people, help out Keith. I just made my donation, how about you?? It's easy, just go to the bottom of the page and click on "donation".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2014 at 4:10am
Thanks for all your work Keith!!

And Pete, donation made (long overdue BTW)

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2014 at 5:44am
Thanks Keith, I hope the speed continues, so far everything is working much faster than ever. Nice Job
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2014 at 10:25am
Thanks Keith. Pete, probably time to make another one...
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2014 at 10:15am
Keith,
Keep up the great work. I'm sure you are still working on the issues. The site sure is faster but I'd have to say still needs some work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 9:48am
There is nothing fast about these forums. The forum version is outdated and it is on substandard hosting. I've offered help but never received any reply.

The forum uses Webwiz forums which is currently at version 10.18 (April 10, 2014). However, the CCFan version is 10.03 which is 9 versions behind from August 2011.

It needs better hosting and better (or updated) forum software. It's a shame that these speed and reliability issues have gone on for 3+ years. How many members have we lost simply because it was too much of a pain to post a question or make a response?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 3:38am
Hey ny_nautique you don't have to post here if you feel you can post faster somewhere else.
1986sn 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2014 at 7:43am
Originally posted by newguy1986 newguy1986 wrote:

Hey ny_nautique you don't have to post here if you feel you can post faster somewhere else.

Jeff,
I feel you need to better understand that Keith maintains the site with his own monies and is not into it for his own capital gains. I as well as many members appreciate his efforts. Many of us have made contributions to help with the problem. Have you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 6:28pm
I'll second what Pete said. It's faster than I am, and that's all I care about.
"Art"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 7:02pm
I offered in my email to Keith to help pay for better hosting or software upgrades. I'm not interested in paying towards the current setup.

This is literally the worst performing forum I've ever used. It should not take 12-20 seconds to load one post. It should not refuse to keep me logged in on my phone. It should not take 10 seconds to change between pages of the reference manuals.

I greatly appreciate the knowledge and content here, and appreciate Keith's initiative to get it started and keep it going. However, this site has outgrown its hosting and technology.

I bet the cost of better hosting wouldn't even be higher. The one thing going against it is that it's a Microsoft-based forum software so you'd have to use Microsoft-based hosting.

I run a web development and training business and have 5 different hosting reseller accounts. Over the years I've dealt with most of the "top tier" web hosts and have fixed these types of issues for many clients. The performance of this server would be absolutely unacceptable for any of my clients, as would be the 18-month out of date software.

Here's an example. This particular post gets a 37/100 from Google PageSpeed Insights, one of the tools I use to analyze website performance. As you can see it mentions server response time as the #1 issue. Most of my sites launch with a 65-70 score without CDN or optimization and end up around 80-85 after some tweaks.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 7:47pm
Jeff, keep in mind that it seems like just yesterday that Keith and I switched to a SQL server from the original Access database that was running these forums like a champ in the beginning years!

As someone who ran my own forum/website as a hobby I can tell you that I'd be more than hesitant to just hand the keys over to somebody that I did not know extremely well so if I was Keith I couldn't see myself slinging logins around to well-intended forum members.

As for code updates and hosting migrations I'm sure it's just hard to find the time. Forum code updates most likely will require SQL scripts ran to update the DB schema with potential data problems afterward depending on what changes were made. Swap out the code, run the DB updates, something blows up, and now you're hosed. Doing the upgrade locally then pushing it up takes time, then there's real-world testing and configuration and potentially roll-backs based on what happens. It all takes tons of time and focus.

Migrating from this DB and forum software to something open-sourced would be a huge migration between vastly different DB schemas, a massive project with loads of risk.

It all takes time and focus. Tons of it. Nothing I'd want to be doing on nights and weekends with familial and work obligations if this was my site, no way.

Basically what I'm saying is I understand completely why things may not be the speediest or the most up-to-date and I really don't care anyway. I pop open a tab, let it load and pop into another tab and so on, reading multiple forums at once or popping between email and forums. Doesn't really bother me. The content is worth the wait.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I pop open a tab, let it load and pop into another tab and so on, reading multiple forums at once or popping between email and forums. Doesn't really bother me. The content is worth the wait.

Joel,
I do the same thing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 8:52pm
I'm not asking for "the keys" nor would I want them and I'm not suggesting to move to open source. There are performance upgrades that can be done. It makes it much harder to upgrade if you wait years between updates instead of keeping up with them (and testing) on a regular basis.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 7:35pm
I would check in more often but Damn is this site running slow!! it took almost 90 sec to get from the front page to the forum section. is it the Google Chrome i Use or what?
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 11:09pm
It's not your browser Jody. In fact today it is getting an even worse 24/100 Google Pagespeed Insights score. And, according to it's Pingdom score: "Your website is slower than 91% of all tested websites".

The majority of the slowdown would be fixed by going to a better host.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2014 at 7:50am
Yes, I too feel Keith needs to do some more work on the problem. I see no improvement with the new host.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2014 at 8:15pm
WOW!!! this site still is really slow!! Is it my machine? nearly a min to accomplish a request, tho the performance indicator showed 2.75 sec.... ?????
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2014 at 8:52pm
Thank you all for your comments and willingness to help. The site isn't slower for me today but the site does need to be moved to a new host. I just need to find the time. As Joel mentioned, it's a very time consuming and a bit dangerous. I've done it several time before and need to do it again.

I hope to carve our some time this summer.

- Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2014 at 10:34pm
Keith - your updates have made quite a difference. This page is getting an 80/100 on Pingdom and it says "Your website is faster than 70% of all tested websites" where on May 12 it said "Your website is slower than 91% of all tested websites".

That's really good to see.

And on May 12 the Google Page Speed Insights score was an abysmal 24/100, today it is a 64/100. I shoot for an 80 on most sites and was struggling today with one that is stuck at 74/100.

So there's still room for improvement, but it is certainly noticeably faster.

Thanks for the hard work!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic