Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Single or Double

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single or Double
    Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:00am
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a new trailer in the coming weeks. The current trailer is the original and is due to be replaced. So the question...do I go single axle or double? Single has enough capacity to carry the boat but I typically tow at least 300 miles to where I use the boat. Double is more stable to tow and gives the option of tying up an axle given multiple blowouts...what say the masses???
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 8:26am
I prefer double axle. More stable on the road.
And when manoeuvering, it is smoother to back up for example...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 9:25am
I have owned both and as far as towing any distance give me a tandem any day. Using a single axle now and can't wait to upgrade just feels more stable and tracks better.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

While a tandem will definitely track straighter, and feels more solid on the highway, there's no way that it is better for backing up and maneuvering in tight spots. Can't beat a single for that.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 11:01am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

While a tandem will definitely track straighter, and feels more solid on the highway, there's no way that it is better for backing up and maneuvering in tight spots. Can't beat a single for that.

+1, my tandems are a major PITA to put in tight spaces. You can forget about pivoting them around, even when empty.

Ive owned several of each type, and put a lot of miles on them. Tandems do track nicely on the highway and usually run smaller wheels and tires, allowing the boat to sit a little lower (which helps mileage). A properly set up single axle will track just about as nicely though. Theyre more maneuverable in tight spaces and a lot cheaper to maintain... the 2x cost on springs, hubs and tires gets old fast.

A properly set up single axle with 3500lb running gear (like the original trailer) is a really nice, reliable set up on a smaller 2200lb boat like that '82 Ski Tique. We've towed our heavier (2800lb) Barefoot Nautique on its original #4 all over the place and it does well. I'd actually like to see what your original trailer looks like- unless its been dunked in salt continuously for a long period of time, I cant imagine its beyond repair. The open channel CC trailers last forever... unless the frame is rotted through, it could be repaired/restored for far less $$ than a new trailer will cost. Plus it will look way better than an aftermarket trailer.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 11:49am
I wouldn't trade my single for anything. When a single is set up properly (like the magical combination CC made for the 85-89 2001 boats) you really can't get much better. A way over kill axle and proper tire/wheel sizes with very nicely located axle for tongue weight and such.

If you do a fast maneuver while driving it won't sway back and forth more than twice before it is tracking back where it is supposed to be.

Its funny to see folks with lesser boats (IOs) with tandems loaded down just swaying down the highway. Gotta think the thought has to cross their mind "Should this trailer constantly sway back and forth?"

I have pulled that rig with something as small as a Jeep Cherokee on highway trips and have never had an uneasy feeling once.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 11:52am
uhh it's 2014 hello. triple
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Bigger is better.............
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I think they are talking about boat trailers Hollywood, not shots!
Greg

86 BFN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 12:02pm
Boats and triple shots go hand in hand until the DNR shows up to ruin the party right? ha.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 12:26pm
That's only if you don't have your party flag up.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 12:30pm
Noted, Party flag up at all times.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 12:37pm
I have towed quite a bit with singles and doubles of various manufacturers and without question the double is WAY better going down the road, if you have brakes on both axles your rig will stop as well as it does without anything behind it. Backing up is no problem either, the doubles seem to hold a line easier, not that that matters too much though. If you need to make tight turns regularly , bacerds or forwards, I would imagine it puts more stress on the axles & tires vs a single. Also if you need to move it by hand and turn, double axle is going to fight you where a single could be spun in circles easily.

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 12:56pm
His regular trip is 300 miles?
Tandem for sure. Just from a piece of mind standpoint. I like the idea of being able to get off the highway to change a flat. Being stuck in the middle of the night on the shoulder while traffic zips by at 80 is a little sketchy. Ill deal with tight space handling issues as a fair price to pay.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:02pm
Why would you need a tandem trailer for a Skitique?

I've never had anything but single axle trailers but have heard the pros and cons about tandems. The primary purpose of the dual axle trailer is to dispearse the weight of the trailer to four points on the ground instead of two. A Skitique can't weigh that much to constitute going to a tandem. I can move the 88' pretty easily round the garage with the single axle and the two wheeled jack. Twice the maintenance on dual axles. If you maintain the single axle regularly then you shouldn't have a problem.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Why would you need a tandem trailer for a Skitique?

Exactly, a single for that little boat is fine. A tandem would be sprung awfully stiff for what I'm guessing is 2500#?

I love both of my tandems but I've towed across the county with singles, just keep your tires in good shape and properly inflated.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

just keep your tires in good shape and properly inflated.
and make sure you have the right ones. I got burned by that.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:45pm
Want vs need. Weigh the options.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:54pm
Thanks for the discussion here. The original is going to get replaced for several reasons:

1. It has been used in salt regularly and likely the new trailer will continue to be. (Going to go galvanized on the new one.)
2. The prop guard has some serious rust and the channel is cracked in this area.
3. The spindles looked pretty worse for wear last time I replaced the bearings.
4. A previous owner made quite a few little cutouts in the c channel that I believe may compromise the integrity of the trailer over the long run. (Especially in the salt)
5. Because I was quoted approximately the same to replace as to redo the original how I want it done. (Not counting any additional issues found)

The reasons I was considering a double though I do not need it to carry the load are as follows:
1. Tracking behind the truck
2. Ability to tie up an axle in case of a blowout or cooked bearing
3. Safety in case of a blowout while towing on the highway
4. I like the looks better
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:59pm
I wish I had a tandem set up for a 2001.

They smooth out the concrete joint / bumps
on the interstate much better. Tandems do
require a bigger radius and some for thought
when it comes to backing up.

A smaller boat is fine with a single axle trailer.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 2:23pm
If you were towing to the local lake and had to deal tight spaces stay single but with your towing distances tandem.Sure it's twice the axles to maintain they are running with half the load.How much time are you spending peeking in them mirrors to check on that one axle .Mine weights 3600 gross and sm constantly looking to see if alls ok and I do my bearing maint twice every season regardless of miles .Spending as much time as I do on road for work see countless boats on side of road with people out in the woods looking for their tire and hub assembly
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

+1, my tandems are a major PITA to put in tight spaces. You can forget about pivoting them around, even when empty.

+2

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

Spending as much time as I do on road for work see countless boats on side of road with people out in the woods looking for their tire and hub assembly

Pretty sure that was me. Oh wait, I was in the desert. Amazing how far a wheel and hub can go. And they pass you like your standing still! That was one time I wish I had a double axle.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 9:19pm
Thats where I used to see it most California and Arizona everbody heading for Havasu for the weekend.Sorry for not stopping.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 1:47am
Have both. For my use, with a bunch of small launch ramps at lakes without much forward runout to get straight, the singles are SO much easier. My tandem just fights itself to turn, not so bad on dirt but on pavement I cringe at the stress I sometimes put on the bearings/axle.

Having said that, I did have one blowout on the tandem, ratchet strapped up the axle and drove with no problem, so definitely understand the argument about not being broken down due to a blown tire or bad bearing.

I'd get a single for a Tique.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

If you maintain the single axle regularly then you shouldn't have a problem.

Or..if traveling in the East keep Morfoot's cell number handy..works great for me. One tip I might add..don't use a filet knife to remove those pesky bearing caps.

Or..like I did this past summer..travel with Eddie. He went over everything on the trailer for me 'cause he didn't want me slowing him down!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 2:38am
My 78 Ski Nautique had a single axle, we put 1,500 hours on it and towed everywhere, it was weighted perfectly and towed very well. Even at 75 mph on long highway drives.
My two boats after that have had double axles and I prefer the look, the boat looks great on the tandem. Around the house, moving it in the garage or backing into my tight driveway the single axle trailer had some real advantages, the one negative the single axle designs have more tongue weight if you want them to tow well the tongue is heavy, I think mine was over a 200 pound lift.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 4:45am
I prefer singles and don't think doubles tow any better and I've seen more problems with doubles and I can move my single axle by hand.
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 4:52am
Wow...that's why singles tow better more tongue weight.

I don't like how the doubles wag the rear of the tow vehicle around...singles are smoother
This is the life
ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 9:32am
That light of a boat if you had to a double would let you limp in on three tires that is a added advantage of a tandem axle trailer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic