NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Rub Rail!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Rub Rail!!!
    Posted: January-04-2014 at 9:43pm
CORRECTION on 1/5/14: In my original post I misidentified the PVC and Polyethylene tubing. I've corrected the text below to correctly identify the two different types. Sorry for the confusion - Kevin.

ORIGINAL POST CORRECTED:

I've been not enthused about the idea of putting a black or white rub rail insert on my blue 1993 SN. So I did some looking around and discovered on McMaster-Carr that you can buy 5/8" OD tubing in a variety of colors. I found two blue ones and ordered the minimum 10' of each to see what they are like. Here are links to the two tubes I ordered:

Polyethylene Tubing for Drinking Water

Choose-a-Color PVC Tubing

And below is what they look like in my rub rail. The PVC Tubing is a lighter blue but less rigid and easy to bend. The Polyethylene Tubing is quite stiff, but is a darker blue and I think looks better in the rub rail. To bend the Polyethylene tubing around the nose of the boat I'd have to trim it underneath. Also - the Polyethylene tubing has stamped letters on it that I can't figure out how to remove. It seems to all be on one "side" of the round tube, so I think I could just make sure the words are turned to the inside and it would work great.

What do you think? Should I go for the darker blue but stiff Polyethylene tube or the lighter blue but more flexible PVC tube? Or should I swallow my pride and just get the black insert from Taco Marine? Also note that if the PVC tubing works it comes in black, blue, green, red and yellow. That might be helpful information for other CCF'ers.

Polyethylene is on the left and PVC on the right

5/8" OD is the correct size

PVC on left and Poly on the right in this photo

One more view

And finally - a link to my boat blog on the rub rail installation for anybody who is interested.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 9:57pm
I agree the dark blue does look better, but you bought 10 foot of each? Might as well have bought that bit more to do the whole boat first time round!!
'82 Ski Tique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 10:07pm
Graham, I thought about that, but why buy 50' of tubing that I don't need? This was, in the end, cheaper and in my heart of hearts I like to save money.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 10:18pm
I always liked the rope. To me the rope was all CC.
This is the life
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 10:34pm
Light blue is my choice..... looks great (nice "pop"), easier to apply AND remove.....over time the rubber rub rail will dry and brittle and be prone to "chipping" when you want to remove the dark blue down the road (deal with the rotated printing).

It is very NOT black, easier to apply and adjust later....

I am just happy to have gray in mine..... Would love red in the BFN.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 10:51pm
I vote for the lighter blue as well.   I like that it is going to be easier to install, and will stand out much more than the black.   I think that the printing on the dark blue is going to be problematic.    Just a thought,   Would you have been dissatisfied with the lighter blue if you hadn't seen the darker? It looks very similar In the photo's, but that could just be my screen too .
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 12:20am
The lighter blue is not the same as the blue in the boat but it was never a match. Kris' comment about not being dissatisfied if I did not know is spot-on. I'm leaning that way now! Note the color of the 1993 rub rail on this Excel from the brochure.

I considered rope, but that would be mixing years a bit. I think the rope rub rail ended in the late 80's. I don't know that it would look right in a NWZ hull. I was considering installing a blue rope at one point. That would be an interesting compromise.

Any other thoughts?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 12:43am
Kevin,I'm glad you found this I'm looking for the red.I'm going to try the thinner poly. When I first saw my boat it had the red on it but N3 offered to change it out to the black so I went with it I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow so you can see the difference.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 1:01am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

I always liked the rope. To me the rope was all CC.

I agree........I always had a soft spot for the rope.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 1:31am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

The lighter blue is not the same as the blue in the boat but it was never a match.

I considered rope, but that would be mixing years a bit. I don't know that it would look right in a NWZ hull.

+1 Agree totally, not on a 93. No rope and no stainless inserts.....

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 12:38pm
Faded red original-

New black one-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 1:00pm
Get a 3 foot piece of 5/8" rope from Lowes and try that out.

I removed the blue even though it looked great and had a high quality repair done by an obvious professional

Put in Rope and loved it. It was a tough choice because both look great, but I prefer rope since it is very nautical
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 2:01pm
Hmmm... that rope does look "nautical". Purchasing 3' at a Lowes or HD is a good idea. I could always just use the rope with the boat later.

Black does not look bad, Gary. That's what I will do if none of these other ideas work out.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 3:19pm
I know it's not original but I sense the rope idea is gaining a little momentum!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 3:40pm
Bravo for getting creative (and keeping the original look)! Both blues look great- the lighter one is close enough if it's easier to work with. Any idea which material would stand up better to uv exposure?

The rope looks fine in a vintage boat (it was used 78-89) but it would look out I place on a NWZ boat. It also is harder to keep clean. I'd go with the black insert if the blue didn't work out, at least tht wouldn't call any attention to itself.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 6:27pm
I think this spring I'll take a ride over there,it's real close to Johnb's house,with what I have and see what matches up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 7:29pm
ALERT!

I misidentified the two tubes. The darker color blue tubing with the lettering is the Polyethylene Tubing for Drinking Water, 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD, 1/16" Wall Thickness, Blue. It is product number 51275K88 in the McMaster-Carr catalog.

The slightly lighter color tubing is the Choose-a-color PVC Tubing Blue, 7/16" Id, 5/8" Od, 3/32" Wall Thickness. It is product number 9446K61 in the McMaster-Carr catalog.

The good news of my mistake is that the PVC (more flexible but thicker-wall) tubing is only $0.87 a foot. So 50 feet of blue, black, yellow, green or red tubing is only $43.50.

Tim - I have no idea how UV stable either tube might be. I did some checking at McMaster-Carr and did not see much about UV stability (there was quite a bit about chemical resistance).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 12:01am
Kevin here is a better close up of the black insert

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 1:34am
Wow Gary, you shovel good!

Tim's point about fading is very valid. Sure wouldn't want to invest too much in something that won't keep. $50 seems worth a try.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 2:13am
Don't know where your at HW but it's pretty nice here,you can see I'm getting the boat ready to go My thoughts on the 50 bucks too,can't fade any worse than the original looked anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 11:26am
I like the lighter blue    I also like those Registration #'s and Trailer Decals    I wonder where those came from

I looked and looked on E-Bay for the Purple Insert-- I found it I think at a place up North... Let me look to see if I can find it again- as I think they had all colors also-- maybe not as good as price as McMaster/Carr though...

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 12:24pm
Bling ! I wonder if this would be legal?
LED Strip Lighting..

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 3:56pm
Kevin, did you try installing either type at the bow? Curious if they will make that turn. Keep us posted if you decide to try one or the other on the entire boat, this is definitely something I want to change on mine.

Also wondering if anyone has a cross section or cut of the factory insert as a camparison??
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 4:17pm
The Poly (dark-blue) tube would not make that turn at the bow without kinking, which is why I noted that I'd have to make some splices in the tube. The PVC tube will make it around that corner.

I've ordered the PVC tube from McMaster-Carr. It should ship out today (from their Chicago warehouse, where it must be -20 degrees F or so). I'll post an update once I install it.

I have a purple insert in my garage and will take some cross-section comparison shots for you later.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 4:48pm
If you go with the softer one you might be able to turn it inside out if it fades too much.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Also wondering if anyone has a cross section or cut of the factory insert as a camparison??

I have my original up in the barn,if I psych myself up I might go get it to check,it is after all up to -11 now
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 1:54pm
Hollywood - it is nowhere near THAT soft. I'd guess that is is only slightly more flexible than the OEM insert. The main question now is fading under UV.

Update - although McMaster-Carr said they had 50' of blue tube in stock when I got my email confirmation it said that the product would ship in two weeks. Sure am glad it is not July.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 2:56pm
You might want to wait until July to install it though!

I don't know how soft you've interpreted my comment but don't see how it matters either way. I'm envisioning fully removing it, invert the bend and then reinstall. With the cut insert this isn't an option.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 6:54pm
Oh! Ha ha ha... my bad. I was imagining you were thinking I could turn the entire tube inside-out, as in make the inside of the tube the outside. I don't know why I thought that. Yes, I could always flip the tube around if / when it fades.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Oh! Ha ha ha... my bad. I was imagining you were thinking I could turn the entire tube inside-out, as in make the inside of the tube the outside. I don't know why I thought that. Yes, I could always flip the tube around if / when it fades.

I thought the same thing. I was like, "How the hell is he gonna turn that thing inside out?"
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic