NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pics of your tow vehicle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 29>
Author
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 4:22pm
Quinner and low profile used in the same sentence just does not sound right.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 5:01pm
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 5:03pm

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Does Obama know that you have all of this stuff????

Does not matter didn't you see the above posts we're from Chicago

N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 5:06pm
2010 Tundra also my desert explorer/camping/expedition vehicle.

1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 5:39pm
Alan, I miss your 81. That was one sexy damn boat.

Nice tractors Gary!

Quinner, when did you get that new green boat?
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 6:01pm
1983 Monte Carlo SS with the 1966 Skylark I just realized I haven't got a recent picture of the 2 mated together on the #2 Trailer !!

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

96 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado 4x4

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

96 was ordered with factory tow package, 3:73 gears and a posi, pretty rare for a half ton.

Serious question, how do you get 4x4 without posi?

REgina is only rated for 7,000 and is now 1 wheel squeal. Wheel speed sensors failed long ago, which are necessary for the electronic traction control, which sucks anyway, and ABS.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 6:24pm
I've messed with a lot of Chevy 4x4's. The vast majority of the "older" trucks were open with 3:08's.

In fact I added the posi to my 72 a few years ago when I installed a 700 od trans and 3:73 gears.

By 96 I would not call it a true posi. I think it is a governor lock . Still it was an option on any truck, 2 or 4wd.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 6:36pm
Seems like a lot of the older chebbies didn't have a limited slip. Our shop truck had one but the rear was trashed and was replaced with a full unit with an open rear end. Marks new 2wd diesel had an open. It wouldn't pull boats out on a wet ramp so he dropped the cash to install a limited slip unit. I won't buy a truck without limited slip(not as big of a deal on a 4x4). One plow truck we had was an open and it did fine(1/2 ton). All of our 2500 plow rigs and diesel towers were all limited slip optioned.

The "limited slip" in my mom's SRT-8 300 sucks. Its actually just controlled by the anti-lock brakes. When one wheel spins it applies brake pressure and transfers torque via the spider gears in an open differential. Its pretty hard to drive it sideways with only one wheel smoking :(.

The new truck is a clutch pack style limited slip and it works great.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

E39, Silverstone Metallic. I'll have to put some pics up later. I gotta see a pic of your buddy's towing a boat! Plenty of HP and TQ, that's for sure :p

Oh wait, found one:

Awesome looking car Joel!! Remains the ultimate M5 to me. Nothing like an atmospheric V8 BMW engine... Rooaaaar.
For the pics, you're gonna have to wait till next spring. Yasmine is in her winter sleep now

Now get a hitch on that thing and pull your boat around in style bro!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 6:49pm
They have no problem calling it 4x4 even if you can only spin 2 tires at a time, like the man says it would be optional, and relatively rare for either a 4x4 or a 4x2 to have “positraction” (check for option code g80 to be listed in the glove box)– which in the chevy trucks in question was provided by an eaton limited locker, my understanding is they locked up at more than a 100 rpm difference in tire speed, unlocked at all speeds above 30.   If you have a duramax truck you got one, if you bought an off road package (z71 pre 2008) you got one, if you ordered it special you got one. Some dealers added them with towing packages on their pre order trucks. I considered upgrading my 4x2 Sierra from an open to a g80 axle when I grenaded the old one, but even on 10 year old junkyard axles they were charging 7-800 more for the g80 version.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
hansenindustries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hansenindustries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 6:54pm
92 Chevy Silverado 2wd, but with the locker she tows great.
1988 Ski Nautique 2001
2000 Super Air Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 7:01pm
Nothing fancy, not color coordinated, not powerful, just a plain little rig. I really like the looks of the older "square" boats on their trailers....nice lines.

Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 7:04pm
My wife's VW (now the official tow vehicle/you'll see us rolling down to Orlando 28/12)

My "old' Jeep had to go (soso for towing)

And this is my new tow..ahmm toy vehicle
1994 Sport Nautique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 7:07pm
I do like this thread I do
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 7:29pm
Also, its not big enough to tow but heres my other toy

'82 Ski Tique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Look at that Awesome Astro Van! All Wheel Drive, 4.3L V6 pulling the Air206...70 mph at 17-18 mpg going to the Adirondacks.

Thanks Marty for the Pic....

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

my new Ride! Got it out of the dealer this friday!
2013 Ranger diesel power 3.2L 5 banger 200 hp 6sp mt

Dang, when are they going to get these in the US? This is what I wanted to buy, instead I had to go with an Escape. Escape is nice but doesn't have the towing capacity to haul the Nautique

Ford believes Ranger buyers will move to a Fiesta. I'm not kidding. Ford actually said that the Fiesta is their expected Ranger replacement.

Meanwhile, GM just released this:

AutoBlog
Captain Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 10:03pm
Wow now I'm seeing motorhomes, tractors, and everything in between. I've seen that some even have the color of their rig matching with the boat.
Live life to the fullest!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2013 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

just found my new favorite rig. Older boat..full skirt trailer..matched with a color co-ordinated F150..WOW

you wanna see this boat in person Zack..drive it..ski it? It will be making a personal apperaence at Norris Lake with the Monahan boys the last 2 weeks of July.

man I love this thread!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 12:09am
Zach should have experienced it before it's "heart transplant"   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Zach should have experienced it before it's "heart transplant"

X2     
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
beachdude24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdude24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 12:35am
2000 mitsubishi montero sport ls

Living the Salt Life...Life is better in Aruba
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 9:40am
Good time to add mine. 2000 Montero Sport XLS - Not anything special, but I have upgraded rear suspension and an additional transmission cooler.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 10:24am
That's what I have heard. I may get to experience its heart in another boat some day!

I would love to see that thing in person J bear.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 10:36am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

my new Ride! Got it out of the dealer this friday!
2013 Ranger diesel power 3.2L 5 banger 200 hp 6sp mt

Dang, when are they going to get these in the US? This is what I wanted to buy, instead I had to go with an Escape. Escape is nice but doesn't have the towing capacity to haul the Nautique

Ford believes Ranger buyers will move to a Fiesta. I'm not kidding. Ford actually said that the Fiesta is their expected Ranger replacement.

Meanwhile, GM just released this:

AutoBlog

The truck MPG gap is closing, decreasing US demand for smaller trucks (although I do have a Ranger Edge V6 (195K miles) and it's always gotten horrible gas mileage). Fleet & commercial sales are also a huge portion of the truck market and for that bigger is better.

Narrower streets overseas increases need for smaller trucks there,
and US gas prices are low and dropping.

Smaller trucks (and cars) have also grown, see old Tacoma vs new Tacoma for example. My 2013 Civic is as big as the 94 Accord I once had.

I would think, though, the sharp new overseas Ranger would be a big seller in the US. Also hope the new Colorado/Canyon mentioned above is improved, the first model had terrible ratings/reviews.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 11:12am
The fall of the small truck was caused ultimately by the lack of increasing fuel efficiency standards.   Or alternately their prominence in the mid seventies through early nineties was the result of said regulations, combined with the second tier product management and marketing.   The full size trucks are always going to have the advantage of high volume in the US due to the commercial users. That volume allows them to tool up to the point that the extra 8-900 lbs of material in the full size truck doesn’t make it cost any more to design and build per piece than the small truck. Absent the need to sell the smaller platforms to average out the number of larger trucks they were selling the auto companies would much rather sell you a larger truck with the higher profit margin. The larger trucks therefore get all the design effort.. the little truck platforms that were actually pretty nice in the mid eighties got nothing more exciting than new body panels or required safety/emissions updates.   The big trucks got better and pretty soon you got just as good mileage with the big truck as the little truck, the prices were pretty close, parts for the big ones are cheaper, resale for the big ones better…   The last Colorado is what happens when you take your B-team product development staff and tell them to produce a new platform quickly and cheaply. Reliability and efficiency take time and skill to produce and are hard to market, bigger and more horsepower are easier and quicker – Marketing groups think everyone is Tim the toolman Taylor.   

Then when it doesn’t sell they learn the wrong lessons… oh no boss it’s not that we built a crappy truck it’s just that that segment of the market is dead, or the engineers made it cost too much- yeah that’s it.   

Combine the above with all the new safety gear both regulated and driven by insurance institute testing and you have the reason why a new civic now looks like an early 90s accord.. and doesn’t get any better real world mileage than the 80s civic.

If we payed close to the actual fully burdened cost of gasoline over here like in Europe, or Japan our cars would likely look closer to the cars they have over there even if our streets are bigger.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 11:29am
Exactly Joe, Chrysler priced themselves out of the market on the Dakota. By the end of its run you could spend a few thousand bucks more on a similarly optioned 1500 that was 1)better looking 2)bigger and more comfortable 3)returned better fuel economy. A win win win with any consumer.

It is impressive how far full size half ton trucks have come over the last 5-6 years.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2013 at 11:40am
I've been buying new PUs since 1981 and at times the small trucks have appealed to me, mainly the Toyotas and Rangers. Each time I considered them, I was surprised that they cost just as much and the gas mileage wasn't any better, so why go small?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 29>
  Share Topic