Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pics of your tow vehicle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 29>
Author
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 12:52pm
An excellent choice Pete. Subarus are built for snowy environments. I am sure that the Forester will serve you well over many years.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 1:30pm
With a 2400 lbs tow rating, is towing that that thing not like sticking an automotive carb on a 351 under a boat doghouse?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Popular snow car Pete, can't swing a dead cat in Vermont without hitting a Subaru...

Or Boston. They hold up pretty damn well I'd say. I used to work at an independent repair shop, and used to think man, these Subarus break down a lot. But then I realized that's all people were driving and that's why we saw so many. Most would have well over 100k before needing much more than oil change, tuneup, tires and brakes. Also, most mechanics that work Subarus can bang out those head gaskets pretty quickly. It's not the major job on those flat fours as it is on a lot of engines.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete - how did you illuminate the license plate.? I like how you did that for interweb posting...... how did you accomplish it? Was it just plain old flash or post-processing technology?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Pete - how did you illuminate the license plate.? I like how you did that for interweb posting...... how did you accomplish it? Was it just plain old flash or post-processing technology?

Steve,
It wasn't intentional and simply the flash off the camera. I took two shots and both were the same.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

With a 2400 lbs tow rating, is towing that that thing not like sticking an automotive carb on a 351 under a boat doghouse?

Richard,
I'm safe since the heaviest boat/trailer combination I have at this time is my X55 that comes in at about 2200lbs. The X rides on an old MC trailer that had a 3500lb spring set. It road so hard that I downsized the springs to a 2500lb set. I also just this morning checked with my Subaru mechanic in town and asked him about towing. He said it can handle more than the 2400 rating but they rate it lower so people don't overheat the trans when it's out of lock up, the torque converter is slipping and producing all the heat. I asked him about a aux. trans cooler and the response was it's not needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 3:34pm
It sounds like you are all good and have done your homework. I was not trying to be an ass, but after a year here I have learned a lot by reading your posts and have taken you to be a person that advocates doing things correctly. I have seen over the years people try to pull a boat with an under-equipped vehicle and it does not always go well. It seems to me that people often don't calculate the weight of gear, beer, and gas into their equation.    

PS: Maybe you can take a temp read on the tranny and power steering after you tow and get some data. I added the coolers for both on our Honda Odyssey to use it as an alternative tow vehicle. No harm other than time and $$ in adding them.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

It seems to me that people often don't calculate the weight of gear, beer, and gas into their equation.   

You're exactly right Richard, I had 2 people this past summer tell me how much they were towing, and when I questioned the weight, knowing roughly what their boats should weigh, in each case the person wasn't adding the weight of the trailer. When I told them that their trailer was 800-1200 lbs. they were surprised.

How much abuse a small SUV's tranny will take is very vehicle specific. I have no experience with Suburu's so no idea what they will handle, but for the couple of miles Pete is towing it's not worth adding coolers, it's going to be fine.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 5:37pm
Very true on the make/model specific trans capabilities, and they aren't always what you would think. Either. I burned out the trans on a 60K mile Jeep Grand Cherokee towing an M38 from Omaha to Chicago and it had a tow package and was rated for far more than I was towing. I think they have a much better trans than the 42re in the new ones like Alan's. I tow now and then with my wife's Ford Escape 2.0 and it's rated at 3,500. It has a 6 speed auto and doesn't have an O/D off switch. The manual says the electronic controls are all it needs. We will see, it has 270 lb-ft torque compared to the Subaru 170 lb-ft so it can give the trans a workout.
Don't think I tow stuff with an automatic trans Ion, it's a 5 speed manual. The auto in most FWD little cars are generally weak.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Very true on the make/model specific trans capabilities, and they aren't always what you would think. Either. I burned out the trans on a 60K mile Jeep Grand Cherokee towing an M38 from Omaha to Chicago and it had a tow package and was rated for far more than I was towing. I think they have a much better trans than the 42re in the new ones like Alan's. I tow now and then with my wife's Ford Escape 2.0 and it's rated at 3,500. It has a 6 speed auto and doesn't have an O/D off switch. The manual says the electronic controls are all it needs. We will see, it has 270 lb-ft torque compared to the Subaru 170 lb-ft so it can give the trans a workout.
Don't think I tow stuff with an automatic trans Ion, it's a 5 speed manual. The auto in most FWD little cars are generally weak.

The 42re wasn't all that strong, my 5.9 Durango had a 46re that was better but not bulletproof. My '06 Liberty CRD has a 545rfe, same tranny they used on a lot of 5.7 hemi vehicles, and though the transmission is excellent and up to the task of handling the torque of the diesel, they put a very weak torque converter on it. It tows amazingly well, but the last few times I towed it had chatter as the converter was failing so that would need to be fixed if I planned to do much more towing, my son drives it now and I doubt we'll bother.

Worth looking into for anyone planning to tow much in a small SUV, take the time to see what the transmission is and what the online chatter is about it's capability.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2015 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Popular snow car Pete, can't swing a dead cat in Vermont without hitting a Subaru...

Or Boston. They hold up pretty damn well I'd say. I used to work at an independent repair shop, and used to think man, these Subarus break down a lot. But then I realized that's all people were driving and that's why we saw so many. Most would have well over 100k before needing much more than oil change, tuneup, tires and brakes. Also, most mechanics that work Subarus can bang out those head gaskets pretty quickly. It's not the major job on those flat fours as it is on a lot of engines.

Yep or anywhere in New England. My sister in law lives in Steamboat Springs CO, same dead cat rule also applies there...

Pete: now you must find an old "Whoop de doo in my Subaru" ad to hang on your wall. If you've never looked, you can find old original print magazine ad pages on Ebay real cheap. I got my bro a Gremlin X ad a few years ago so he could take a little trip down memory lane....

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Captain Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2016 at 1:14am
Pete, that's a really nice looking Subaru Forrester that you have. Subaru's are really well made vehicles.
Live life to the fullest!
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2016 at 12:07pm

Kind of blurry, was taken with Dad's Iphone. Pulling out for the season last year.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Captain Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2016 at 7:34pm
I'm interested in the Toyota Sequoia for my next vehicle. What's all of your opinions on it?
Live life to the fullest!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2016 at 10:03pm
Maybe one of you guys can answer my question. I'm looking into buying a newer Mercedes E class diesel and tow my boat but the sedans sold in USA don't have a tow rating. In Europe it does have a towing rating of 4100lbs. How can I find out how much I could tow with the car legally?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 1:27am
I did a bit of looking around, probably same way you did, saw some forum posts about it. Strange that in the US they don't recommend towing but in Europe like you say it's over 4,000 lbs. I saw one comment that said the drivetrain is OK but brakes are not, but can't imagine the brakes are any different in the US.

Crazy to not be able to tow with a vehicle that solid and powerful.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Maybe one of you guys can answer my question. I'm looking into buying a newer Mercedes E class diesel and tow my boat but the sedans sold in USA don't have a tow rating. In Europe it does have a towing rating of 4100lbs. How can I find out how much I could tow with the car legally?

That would look nice under the water at the bottom of the ramp.
seriously? don't do it. Those are nice cars. don't put a tow hitch on it!
If your dropping bank for a new benz than just bite the bullet and pick up an older used 2500 pickup and leave it hooked to the trailer as a dedicated tow vehicle. at the end of the day your in a much better place.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 9:37am
The Haul Website gives you a little bit of a guideline:
https://www.uhaul.com/reservations/RatesTrailers.aspx

You have to go in and pretend that you're renting a trailer, to the point of putting in your dates and location.

Then, there is a tool that lets you put in your car. It then shows all the trailers you can tow (which is every trailer, I even put in a Mini Cooper and still got the largest trailer). But, the trailer/hitch/vehicle combos that won't work will have 0's next to how much weight you can tow or very low numbers.

Kind of a backwards way to get into it, but if you compare your boat to one of those trailers, it will give you a good approximation. You just have to do a little math.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 12:11pm
I don't know I'd put a whole lot of faith in uHaul.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

If your dropping bank for a new benz than just bite the bullet and pick up an older used 2500 pickup and leave it hooked to the trailer as a dedicated tow vehicle. at the end of the day your in a much better place.

I've towed more with lesser vehicles, including my old E class with the diesel 6 that pulled the boat really well. My current E class has the 5 cylinder diesel that just isn't up to the task. I could give a **** how it looks, people are towing 3000lb trailers in England and getting 28mpg
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2016 at 10:44pm

You have to go in and pretend that you're renting a trailer, to the point of putting in your dates and location.

Then, there is a tool that lets you put in your car. It then shows all the trailers you can tow (which is every trailer, I even put in a Mini Cooper and still got the largest trailer). But, the trailer/hitch/vehicle combos that won't work will have 0's next to how much weight you can tow or very low numbers.

Kind of a backwards way to get into it, but if you compare your boat to one of those trailers, it will give you a good approximation. You just have to do a little math.

I think I'll call them tomorrow, they probably have a pretty good idea on the legality of such things after the whole Firestone Exploder lawsuit
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 2:10am

I've towed more with lesser vehicles, including my old E class with the diesel 6 that pulled the boat really well. My current E class has the 5 cylinder diesel that just isn't up to the task. I could give a **** how it looks, people are towing 3000lb trailers in England and getting 28mpg

I understand that it "can" do it. I move my 24ft enclosed trailer(fully loaded) around my yard with a 10HP tractor. doesn't mean i would ever take it down my street. The question is never whether a car can phisically "pull" any said trailer or not. Because with the right setup and enough traction you could theoretically "pull" your house down the road with a yugo.

The part that a lot of people overlook is the vehicles capacity to stop the trailer from passing by them coming down a hill at highway speeds when the traffic all of a sudden stops. Those who have felt the feeling know that its not a good one.
The most important things to consider when looking at a tow vehicle is not the engine HP. It is the Brakes and wheelbase. In a perfect world the brakes have to be able to stop what you want to tow and the wheelbase has to be able to keep that trailer in tow and not the other way around.
It would still be a new Benz with a trailer hitch. which in england I believe they may say, is a bit "silly"
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 3:29pm

I think I'll call them tomorrow, they probably have a pretty good idea on the legality of such things after the whole Firestone Exploder lawsuit

I don't quite understand Ford Explorer/ Firestone, uhaul and how it relates to overloading a passenger car, but as far as legal issues goes, I'd go with the manufacturers recommendation with the car made for this market. Comparing the good ol' USA to Europe is hardly apples to apples. I've driven a good bit over there and a good many of the fancy Beemers and Benz I saw pulling campers were on the side of the road with the hood up. Single axle campers were about the biggest thing you'll see the average individual pulling, and it looked downright scary. Maybe those were all just "off" days, but it sure didn't make a lot of sense to me..
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 3:37pm
And I wouldn't trust the cars are manufactured the same, here and there.

Wheels for instance. We must manufacture wheels to a MAXIMUM strength here in the US to absorb energy in a crash. The same car with [similar] wheels in Europe are significantly stronger. This is what I was told from the largest cast wheel manufacturer in the US.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 3:43pm
When I have a quandary such as this I ask myself this question and the answer becomes clear.

The answer is really pretty clear. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations or go it on your own. I have chosen the latter for my towing needs and never looked back.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:10pm
Just a little FYI about the Ford /Firestone issue. I was a traffic crash investigator during this period. The NHTSA determined after reviewing actual accident data that the Ford Explorers were no more likely to roll over than any other SUV after a tread separation. The issue was that Ford recommended the tire pressure should be 26 psi, relatively low compared to other SUVs. Firestone supplied a tire that was marginal at these pressures, and due to the low recommended pressure there was little margin between the recommended pressure and being dangerously under inflated. Owing to the average drivers neglect of the tires and the lack of tire pressure monitors that are common today, the tires were regularly run overloaded and under inflated causing an unusually high incidence of tread separation.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:14pm
I don't remember ever seeing a 26 psi recommendation, can't imagine the reasoning behind that.

Also John, you might need to give a Blue Velvet info post for our younger members here
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 5:31pm
Just a heads up David. My friends call me Frank. That may explain a lot.
Doesn't leave much margin for error with changing atmospheric conditions and neglect.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 5:46pm
Yes, it does!

I guess I remember putting 28 psi in some bias ply tires back in the day. 26 must have given it that cushy Ford ride, you can be in several lanes all at the same time.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 11:04pm

The part that a lot of people overlook is the vehicles capacity to stop the trailer from passing by them coming down a hill at highway speeds when the traffic all of a sudden stops. Those who have felt the feeling know that its not a good one.
The most important things to consider when looking at a tow vehicle is not the engine HP. It is the Brakes and wheelbase. In a perfect world the brakes have to be able to stop what you want to tow and the wheelbase has to be able to keep that trailer in tow and not the other way around.
It would still be a new Benz with a trailer hitch. which in england I believe they may say, is a bit "silly"

Okay I can be more scientific about it
Jeep Cherokee Xj 5000lbs towing capacity
Wheelbase 101.4in
Weight 3386lbs fully optioned
Brake rotor diameter 280mm
Rear drum 254mm

E320 diesel Mercedes
Wheelbase 112.4in
Weight 3681 lbs
Brake rotor diameter 312mm
Rear Brake rotor diameter 300mm
(the Mercedes also has 4 master cylinders, one for each wheel and an electric power booster that keeps vacuum the same no matter the engine speed)

But anyways, uhaul was no help, I guess I should just go to the source and try contacting the highway authority. I'm really just concerned about the legality. You can get away with towing almost anything with anything in NY but as far as other states I have no idea
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2122232425 29>
  Share Topic