Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polishing my (Throttle) Knob

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polishing my (Throttle) Knob
    Posted: November-14-2013 at 2:51am
The many throttle knob posts on here finally motivated me to pull my knob off (!). It took a little heat on the throttle handle but the wooden knob came loose from the threaded bushing and the bushing turned off without too much trouble.

Now I am going to refinish it. My woodworking skills are *almost* as bad as my plumbing skills, so I am here for advice.

Here are some suggestions from the Shifter Knob thread:

Originally posted by plattebum2001 plattebum2001 wrote:

My 85 2001 screwed off.

The knob was pretty weathered and I bought a new replacement from Morse. The replacement had no character.

I grabbed a 3/8 bolt about 3" long , cut off the head, put the shank in my 3/8 drill, and screwed the threaded end in my original knob.

Crank up the power with some sandpaper , steel wool and some Tru-Oil for gunstocks.

WOW !! 3-4 Coats spinning the Tru-Oil on with your finger at a slow speed. Good as new.

Originally posted by jameski jameski wrote:

I did mine last winter. Mine was also weathered baddly. I put it in my drill press at a very high speed and sanded it down with very coarse sandpaper (46 grit). After I finally got the weathered wood off, I sanded it smooth with finer sandpaper. Then I sprayed it with about 10 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane by Minwax (from Wal-Mart). I didn't use any stain, but the wood grain really looks great with the clear urethane. I expect it will continue to shine like a glass ball for years.

OK, so I will chuck it in a drill with some 3/8-24 threaded rod for sanding and maybe spray varnishing.

But first, I need to fix it up a little...

1. There are some dryness spider cracks on the top of the knob. I think the varnish will fill it in. There is a crack down one side, which is all the way through for maybe 3/8" near the bottom. I'm thinking about working some wood glue into the cracks before sanding--or should I use some sort of filler or something? What kind of wood is this, anyway?

2. Once the cracks are filled, I need to glue (epoxy?) the threaded bushing back into the wooden knob. What should I use to glue it?

3. What's with using steel wool after sandpaper?

4. Should I stain? varnish? or use gun stock oil? What stain? What varnish? Please be specific, I have no knobbin' clue... How many coats of each?

I realize this isn't a big job and I have a lot of questions, but trust me, it's woodworking and I'll screw it up if at all possible.

Thanks.

Steve
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 10:26am
Steve:

I've done this a few times - It's simple and you can keep it that way. A few comments:

1) Never used a drill to rotate ball. Hand/palm sanding works fine... drill use seems like an OSHA issue..........

2) 46 grit sandpaper is WAYYYY overkill - esp with a spinning ball... 150 is plenty to knock off old varnish and smooth ball. The wood is like gel cote - knock down with coarse and go finer and finer to remove the gouges/scratches that the coarse stuff leaves on the material. Steel wool is the final / or ultra fine smoothing that is done (often between coats of urethane/varnish)..... some finishes say fine paper rather than wool but the concept is the same.

3) Use mineral spirits between sandings to remove the dust and get excited to see how good it will look finished.

4) If you have cracks that are big enough to fill, I wouldn't refinish the knob - too much work for a poor result. Fine cracks are one thing... split wood is a bad deal.

5) I am a lover of teak oil on an open cell wood such as teak, but this is (should be) mahogany and should be either varnished or urethaned.... with an exterior product. NO Stain is needed (you will see how it will look finished when you clean it with mineral spirits). If you want your knob to be the toast of the town, apply 1 more coat than label recommended and fine sand/steel wool between coats LIGHTLY.

6) If you have a can of exterior urethane open around the house, use it. Mine have lasted over 8 years with the boats hanging in the lift all their lives.

Have fun!   - Steve
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 10:41am
Filling splits with a two part epoxy is an option if you are really fond of your knob. It will bond the split and not fall out like a fill. Epoxy dries clear and will generally transmit through whatever color is behind it. Several small applications will reduce the amount of epoxy that flows out where you do not want it to be. Some blue tape on the inside and ends might help keep it place until it cures also.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 10:44am
BTW -

Top of knob is end grain. It will absorb A LOT of finish... count your coats from the first coat that doesn't get absorbed and provides a smooth finish.

Replacement knobs are available. I have purchased from SkiDim (15 years ago), Hasbeenskier (2 years ago) and N3 (this year). Original was the best but N3 gave color options - Light or dark.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Steve:

I've done this a few times.

A few comments:

1) Never rotate ball. Hand/palm works fine...

2) 4 WAYYYY overkill - esp with old and smooth balls - finer and finer stuff leaves. for ultra fine soothing (often between cats urea)..... finish finer than wool.

3) Use spirits to get excited to see how good it will look.

4) If you have crack, I would rinse knob - too much work for a poor result. Fine crack is a deal.

5) I am a lover of oil on wood, but should vanish.... (you will see it look finished when you clean it). you want your knob to be the toast of the town, pat LIGHTLY.

6) Mines over 8 hanging.

Have fun!   - Steve

Have some coffee before posting, might keep you from mixing up your forums...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 12:23pm
N3 Can't get the wood guy to make more knobs :(.

HW, no one is safe posting!!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Steve:

I've done this a few times.

A few comments:

1) Never rotate ball. Hand/palm works fine...

2) 4 WAYYYY overkill - esp with old and smooth balls - finer and finer stuff leaves. for ultra fine soothing (often between cats urea)..... finish finer than wool.

3) Use spirits to get excited to see how good it will look.

4) If you have crack, I would rinse knob - too much work for a poor result. Fine crack is a deal.

5) I am a lover of oil on wood, but should vanish.... (you will see it look finished when you clean it). you want your knob to be the toast of the town, pat LIGHTLY.

6) Mines over 8 hanging.

Have fun!   - Steve

Have some coffee before posting, might keep you from mixing up your forums...

Not a matter of IF.... only a question of WHEN.

Thanks for editing in my favor.....
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 12:30pm
Once upon a time BuffaloBFN made a handful. He might have some of these left, and/or be willing to make more.
Fixin' my knob!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 12:36pm
I like the big knob - bet that fits your hand well Hollywood......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 7:25pm
Thanks for some great input, Steve, Dave & Kevin. I see the replacement wooden knobs are $40+, which is pretty affordable, though if they were $15 I'd probably just buy one. I think I'll putz with this one for awhile and see what happens. The one crack is all the way through for about 1/2" at the bottom, but extends almost to the top on the outside. It's still tight, not a wide crack--I was just looking to strengthen it. I was thinking there might be some magic goop that I could dip the whole ball in then let drip dry, and then turn down to the wood. But I suppose some clear epoxy in the fine cracks would be the way to go. I know I'll get some on the outside--does epoxy sand off ok, or is it stubborn and I'll end up sanding away all the wood next to it? Seriously, I really *suck* at woodworking!      But maybe this little project is easy enough for even me, and it might show my son that woodworking is feasible, even if the old man is a schmoe at it. Anyway, once the cracks are epoxied, I can do the sanding, mineral spirits, exterior urethane as laid out by Steve.

Thanks, I'll take some before and after pics (and won't even suck my gut in).

Steve
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 8:42pm
Steve - It is more important to demonstrate (to your kids) that you aren't scared of anything new.   They have everything to gain & nothing to lose.    Usually I am just getting the hang of a new skill about the time I wrap up the project. I would be time-ahead in farming it out, but what's the fun in that!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 8:52pm
My experience is that two part epoxy sands nicely after it is dry. If you were contemplating staining the wood it might cause problems, but for a natural finish it should work well. The trick will be getting it deep into the split for a good bond.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 9:01pm
I'm all for doing things myself Chris but when it comes to getting the ol'knob polished,farming the job out is the fun
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 9:12pm
Oh, I agree completely, Chris. Kids learn a lot by watching their parents. For years, I flew them all over the place in our Piper Warrior. Eventually sold that and now concentrate on boating. I urged and supported my daughter in her AKC dog handling and dance. She's an amazing professional dog handler and is working on a certificate in Dance while she gets her BBA in International Marketing. (OK, I'll admit it, I'm afraid to step foot in an AKC show ring... I don't have her grace.) The time and dollars spent at dog handling practice and shows... but, she's a strong, confident person because of it. She's also a slalom skier, something I could "do" but never master. I spend a lot of time supporting my son in his loves... wakeboarding, snowboarding, football, used to include dirtbiking, basketball, baseball (pitching, which I don't understand one bit). I spent years on various boards as well as coaching. My daughter helped me outside when she was younger, but now my son and I do all the maintenance on both boats, his dirtbike, and all of our vehicles (haven't been to the shop in about five years, knock on wood). He knows to go get the metric wrench for a metric bolt and not chew it up with an SAE wrench or a pliers(!). He knows how to use a chain saw and won't kill himself taking down a widowmaker the wrong way. They both do pretty darn well at school, too. My kids aren't afraid to try anything, and all the things they do, well, I'm pretty good at talking about them from a bar stool, lol. Now the old man, I know what type of things I'm a screw-up at (plumbing and woodworking come to mind!), but I'm very capable at other things. Sometimes the old dog doesn't really want to learn new tricks. Anyway, you can probably tell I'm pretty darned proud of both my kids.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I'm all for doing things myself Chris but when it comes to getting the ol'knob polished,farming the job out is the fun

However, doesn't "farming out" something involve payment?   
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 9:23pm
Hey - we need a good handler to finish our fabulous Flat-coated retriever! Pass us along her number.....

The throttle knob is A LOT easier than showing dogs. I am in the process of doing mine as we speak (Have at it, Holly"Wood"!). I sanded and I am putting a few urethane coats on it now. I couldn't easily get it off the chrome handle, so I took the handle off - actually makes it A LOT easier! I'll upload some pics.

Here is our Flattie.....

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 9:51pm
Your Flattie is beautiful! My daughter would adore her. Too bad Roanoke is a bit of a drive from UW-Madison where she's studying, lol. We have Samoyeds. Our latest champion just had puppies... check out these cuties.

My daughter is second from the left. btw, I think one puppy isn't spoken for yet, although she may end up being show quality, we'll see.

Here's Mama.

And our other girl.

They sure are fun. They (and our males) love boating, but they're only allowed on the pontoon!

Steve
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2013 at 10:05pm
Awesome Sammies! If you can do hair like that, a throttle knob is easy peasy!!

We got a real water dog in our Flat-coat... he would rather retrieve in the water, than be in a boat. We took the Flattie and our All-American Dog on the Adirondack trip last September - they loved the Barefoot.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2013 at 12:14am
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

However, doesn't "farming out" something involve payment?   

Yes your right but sometimes it's more cost effictive to rent rather
than own

The knob on my 95 reflects the low hours of the boat assuming it's
the original,but I did have to have the lever rechromed. The knob
came right off too,if I'd had read this before I did it,I would
have been worried. Does this look like an original one?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2013 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Does this look like an original one?

Yes....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2013 at 2:07am
It is a very sad time of year when the boats are all winterized and all there is to do is sit around and polish the old knob till spring. Even more sad when advice is solicited on how to do it.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2013 at 11:26pm
Steve, your flattie looks as good in the ring as on the boat.
As for grooming, nope, I don't lift a finger... the deal is, I just write the checks.

Dave, the coolest part is I have it sitting right next to my mouse pad--whenever the urge strikes, I can play with my knob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2013 at 11:30pm
Yep, whenever the urge strikes.
1987 Ski Nautique

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2013 at 11:08pm
just got finished polishing my knob

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2013 at 12:54am
Mine just got finished up too..

audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2013 at 7:22pm
Does your daughter do shows like the Westminster in New York? and if so do you ever go with her? I will be working the Westminster this year so if do go let me know.
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2013 at 2:20am
Nice knobs, gentlemen. (That was very hard to type...)

Art, she's been to nationals but not to Westminster yet. She's on a bit of a hiatus while she gets her degree.

Steve
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2013 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

They sure love boating, but they're only allowed on the pontoon!

Steve

Thats crazy talk!!! Ours always goes with us, great observer.

velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2017 at 1:50am
Does anyone know the color of stain used on the original knobs, or Is it just the color the urethane?   I have several sanded down and ready to be finished. Any specific advise would be great.!
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2017 at 11:56pm
No stain necessary- Just clear urethane.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic