NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 SN Resto/Mod rev. 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 67 SN Resto/Mod rev. 2
    Posted: November-12-2013 at 4:34pm
Time to start a new thread for the long road ahead. I plan to finish up this 67 SN resto/mod that Mike (Wakeslayer) started a few years ago. I recently picked this up from MN and plan to get started this winter and will do my best to keep up with the documentation in this thread. I know how much I've enjoyed watching other boats come to life on CCFan and am hopeful that with a lot of help that I can accomplish this build as well.

A little history on this boat:

Mike picked this boat up in 08, originally thought to be a 68, but through the channels at Correct Craft he found out it is actually a 67.
Original pickup

Mike's thread on the great work he did.
Resto/mod Rev. 1

Mike decided to sell the project last year.
For Sale

Right now I'm in the planning phase, but obviously the boat still needs a floor, I'm 90% convinced at this point that I want to try to re-gel myself so I'll be reading up on all I can there. Interior all needs redone. Most of the hardware is there, some needs some help (windshield brackets). Spray rails need made, trailer needs a lot of attention, and the 340 which will need built.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 7:30am
Good luck on finishing the job and bringing her back to her former glory!

Looking forward to the progress and pictures!!

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 7:56am
Re gel sound like a good idea, will be following to see how that process goes. It's nice that the stringers are done.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 9:22am
Gel coating isn't as hard as some think my advice would be use a gravity fed gun with a BIG nozzle size, something like 2.5mm, mix only 750g at a time and get it out the gun as quick as possible!
If working outside watch out for overspray (I got the neighbours car) and use wax, sanding between coats as bugs are a nightmare if going down the route of wet-on-wet.
'82 Ski Tique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2013 at 9:56pm
Well the boat is nestled into the garage and ready for some work. Here are some before pics.

I've removed all the hardware and windshield, as I'm 100% sure this thing will be getting new gelcoat.

I'm thinking of just strapping the primary/secondary together, but not continuing out to the floor, and instead using ribs from the secondaries out to the hull sides. The floor will be 1/2" or 3/4" ply. Thoughts?

Trailer towed home excellent, but it will be needing some work down the road. It looks like some has beat the hell out of this thing, including ramming into the crash bars a little too hard.

Some shots of the gel. Not sure if I should expect some cracking in the fiberglass below or if this is just superficial. 90% of these cracks are on the starboard side for whatever reason. It's not all isolated to one area on that side either.

I'd like to salvage this original gas tank. Not sure if it's possible. The inside is covered in rust, but from the outside it looks pretty good, aside from the fill.

Spray rails are destroyed from roughly 3-4' back, but there is enough to copy as a pattern.

I'm looking for any insight here. Any clues if any of this interior is original? What about the layout. It has a little jumpseat, but where does this go? Next to the observer's seat I would guess, but not sure. What about the stern seat. I only have the back cushion, not sure if there should be more? There is also a cushion with some straps on it which is pictured on the motorbox, not sure where it goes either.

One more quick thing I noticed. On the fully assembled 318, there are non-matching exhaust manifolds. They are both original Chrysler manifolds, but of different vintage. Mike had this other set of original manifolds off of a donor 318 but they have some serious holes in them. Anyone familiar with welding cast iron have a clue if this is even possible to repair?

I'd like to use at least one of these so I can have a matching set. You can buy aftermarket manifolds, but I'd like to have the original Chrysler's on there.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 10:06am
That's the original interior. The back seat bottom cushion would have been vinyl covered foam (no base or frame). I assume it would have been 1-piece and not 3, but someone else can confirm. Not sure if the jump seat would have fit between the buckets, I've only seen it used behind the drivers seat like a modern jump seat... Pauly banana posted a picture of his 68 with the jump seat in use. Get some more pictures and dimensions off it- that would be a cool thing to reproduce! That single cushion with the straps is a throwable pfd and isn't part of the interior, ha.

One of the exhaust manifolds on my 273 has pin holes where yours are burned through, I'd like to hear about options to fix it. The good news is that there does not appear to be a water jacket too close to the runners.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 10:31am
We are expecting to see this thing finished this winter. We need a thread to get us through the winter now that Alan's boat is done.

No pressure, but we are counting on you.

Donald
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 11:10am
Those are pretty significant holes. Pin holes like Tim is talking about could be brazed, or carefully welded with a high nickel rod, but holes like that…. I doubt they are worth the effort.   I would think you would need to cut and chamfer to a reasonable shape, find a similar thickness cast material, machine it to fit, and then weld it in without it cracking.   If I had a mill, some durabar, a preheat oven, a good set of high temp blankets, and a lot of patience… and those were the last manifolds left in the world it would probably take me about a case of beer to get one good one out of the two..

I would do what the factory did with those floor supports. Putting in ribs is a lot of time, and done wrong they can create stress concentrations that could possible crack your new gel cote. In that boat I wouldn’t consider them.   IF you really want to do them for some reason… we can talk about how to do them to limit the possibility of them causing more harm than good.

Awesome project- glad someone could take advantage of the work Mike already put in there!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 11:41am
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm in pretty good shape for patterns then except for the bottom stern cushion. Even have a good pattern for a new throwable.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

That single cushion with the straps is a throwable pfd and isn't part of the interior, ha.

Smart azz...

Seriously though, I need to take another look at it. I swear it had some extra flap w/ snaps or something.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 11:47am
You think they glassed those supports to the side of the hull from the factory? I'm not planning on foaming that area, do you think it will need a brace under it or just bed it & glass it to the hull sides.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 11:58am
I wouldn't glass them to the sides. If you use decent wood like Douglass fir for your strapping and come within about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the hull sides, and use good quality 5/8" plywood and come within 1/4 to 1/8 inch from the sides, it will be plenty strong enough. You may feel a little give in the floor if you try to make it give while on the trailer, but never while on the water.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I wouldn't glass them to the sides. If you use decent wood like Douglass fir for your strapping and come within about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the hull sides, and use good quality 5/8" plywood and come within 1/4 to 1/8 inch from the sides, it will be plenty strong enough.

Whether ply or glass over foam, the floors are usually glassed to the sides right? If so, what would be the reasoning for not glassing the straps to the sides as well if whatever is over it is already bonded to the side?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 5:11pm
Might just be our education but I wonder the same thing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 6:09pm
Im no naval architect, but I have broken a lot of boats that were designed by naval architects and I did sleep at a holiday inn last night (wasnt staying there I nodded off at the bar.. but I digress) so Ill take a swing..

The floor wouldn’t be glassed into the sides with that setup necessarily.   In this case without the foam I would recommend against it. Quasi removable vinyl wrapped plywood sections screwed down is what I would be expecting and recommending.   Whenever someone firmly attaches something dense (ie wood bulkhead or support bedded and glassed to the side and/or floor) to a relatively flexible hull that has some significant height perpendicular to where it attaches it yields a large radius of gyration of the now attached column. Meaning the for a given stress (load) the strain (deformation) is so much higher for the hull that you can basically envision the support as rigid.

When you are glass over foam the floor itself can create a pretty good stress concentration at the top of the foam, a nice fillet and a tapered joint can help blend from that locally very rigid section to the relatively flexible hull. I like to think of the boat rubbing down a dock board, (rock, trailer roller, what have you) the rubbing could be along the length of the boat like when you come in a little hot or vertically from the motion of waves or weight shifts. You don’t want to be rubbing down and flexing the side (or bottom) then reach a rigid point as that is when the flex turns to cracks and tears.   On a smaller level the same thing happens each time a wave hits… these boats are generally overbuilt so the hull doesn’t flex much and there is a very thick hull to deal with it but I am a little sensitive about it I guess due to the time I have spent on/working on racing canoes and sailboats (both of which I have had break in half on me during races). However even in these tanks it is not at all uncommon to see a set of gel cracks in line with where the floor meets the hull on a glass over foam boat.    In fact we see a lot of them where the floor then separates, water gets in, freezes, and causes havoc. Which occurs first, who knows, it is like the chicken and the egg.   

The other side of the coin is that you have to support the hull to a certain extent to limit the amount that it flexes both for longevity and performance. It is a balancing act. However on a boat like this one here, the factory didn’t need support here and history has shown that the boat will tolerate it pretty well, so there simply isn’t much to be gained by trying to rework the original methodology in this case. Glassing the strap itself rigidly to the hull is the worst case scenario, you basically end up trying to push the hull out in concentrated rectangular shaped zones.   If you don’t like the strap floating out there I like the idea of glassing a thin glass covered foam ledge to the hull that the supports can rest on but are not glassed/glued too..   or you can do whatever you want and avoid, docks, rocks, trailers, and rough waters and youll still be fine.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 6:59pm
Bottom line is resin, wood, etc. isn't free. Sailboats and canoes are built to be lightweight so they are fast. In order to do this designers use materials that meet the required strength and bend before breaking. Overbuilding one of these boats would be counter productive. Overbuilding a ski boat is mostly cost prohibitive, not performance. Ill stick with the "chicken or the egg" notion. I guess I haven't seen enough cracked up overbuilt ski boats to think otherwise.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 8:30pm
+1 with Joe. Also keep in mind these early glass boats were all built the same. My 69 Mustang has the same stringer structure as my old 64 American Skier, the only difference was the newer one had foam with a layer of 'glass over it rather than the older one's painted plywood floor and no foam. I think some sort of floor,composit or plywood attached only to the structure and then covered would be the way to go
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 8:37pm
Ok, so scratch the rib support idea. With the straps/ply though, I still don't see how attaching the them both to the side of the hull with a progressive overlapping fillet is any more risky than the original CC method (glass over foam attached to hull, although not attached well), or that of which was done with Tim's BFN build with Coosa, or your 83 as well.

Tim's BFN

JoeinNY 83

Would you have done your build differently, if so what do you know now that you didn't then. I didn't even come close to a Holiday Inn last night so I'm all ears.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 8:57pm
But you are comparing an + 80's hull to a early 60's designed hull a lot happened in 20 years. 80's floor was structural 60's floor was something to keep your feet dry. Stringers did not start to rot until floors were foamed and glassed over. I have 1/4 ply under my fiberglass pan and no foam so far so good. The way I cut the glass over the foam to remove it left about a 1" flange around the stringers and sides,there is no more than roughly 6" of span not supporting the floor.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 10:45pm
My $.02 goes along with Joe's theory of flexibility. My 1970 Skier was built from the factory using only Primaries, Secondaries and floor supports which end about 1.5" from the hullsides. There are no signs of a glass over foam floor....or major rot. I've seen pictures of a few other Skiers this vintage and all appear to be built the same.

I'm recreating this approach with my 72 Promo and will do so with a number of my older boats in the next 20 years. Luckily, the previous owner of the Promo left me about an inch of the glass floor on the hullsides which I'll use as a lip for the outside of the floor to rest.   If I'm following Joe's reference, this will be pretty much the same as his glass over foam ledge.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2013 at 11:26pm
I redid the floor in my 65 using bulkheads in similar fashion to Joes, using bulkheads but my floors are individual pieces wrapped with carpet. Main reason is I didnt want to fiberglass in the exhaust
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

But you are comparing an + 80's hull to a early 60's designed hull a lot happened in 20 years. 80's floor was structural 60's floor was something to keep your feet dry. Stringers did not start to rot until floors were foamed and glassed over...

Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

...My 1970 Skier was built from the factory using only Primaries, Secondaries and floor supports which end about 1.5" from the hullsides. There are no signs of a glass over foam floor....or major rot.

Either someone redid this boat before Mike purchased it (unlikely), or it was glass over foam from the factory. And clearly, it had rot.

So I'm concerned if I follow this different method, that it's less support than what it had from the factory. It wouldn't have any hull support basically from the secondary outward, which is actually the state it's already in, and to me the hull sides feel flimsy. I certainly don't have the experience in judging how thick these hulls are in comparison to numerous other hulls, but from feel, this thing feels paper thin compared to our old 85, and our 99 as well.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 12:57am
Foam was an option up until 68ish when it was required. I am surprised your hull is that thin, Mustangs and Skiers seem thick
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 3:45am
Again, I'm not sure not attaching the straps to the hull sides (freeboard) was intentionally done on a structural level. Considering the whole stringer system was prebuilt, cheap and easy is my take.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 9:44am
Like HW said and Joe implied, there was likely not a *lot* of engineering analysis performed on the structures of these boats when they were designed in the early 60's (or possibly earlier). They simply leveraged the existing wood hull structures that they had built previously, made some changes that improved their manufacturability (prebuilt stringer systems, etc) and sent them out the door. That said, we now have 50 years of real world use to see what worked well about the original design, and what didnt. As Gary said, foam was optional in most boats until the late 60's- so there are examples of both foamed and foamless 60's hulls around that have been examined- the 1st gen SN and Mustang included. So, just because this particular boat was built with glass over foam construction doesnt mean it couldnt be rebuilt foamless, in the same style as other foamless 60's SN's... because we know those held up well. The earlier hulls do tend to be a bit thicker and smaller, and thus, dont require the same number of structural members to replace the strength of the hull/foam/floor sandwich found in later boats (like Joe's 2001).

Joe shared his points mentioned above with me when I was planning my BFN build, and it helped shape some of my design and layup schedules. For instance, while the boat was rebuilt with 3x the number of ribs and bulkheads as original, 2/3 of them are not bedded to the hull and have reduced layup schedules compared to the others. This should slightly improve the flexibility of the hull and reduce stress concentrations. Still, the boat is largely overbuilt- and I am ok with that. It is worth noting that the v-hull BFN has a very different structure to a small flat bottom boat.

I do have some Skier/Mustang/1GSN stringer rebuilds in my future, and my current line of thinking is to install a few strategically placed ribs perpendicular to the stringers to provide floor support. They will likely be glassed in with a very light schedule. I do not care for the straps that CC used, as they are a PITA to work with- they require a lot of extra cuts in the stringers and create a lot of corners that are tedious to glass around... but since the structure on this boat already has the notches cut, youre stuck with the downsides of that system already. So, you might as well take advantage of their upside- they will not cause any stress concentrations if theyre not tied to the hull or walls.

As far as tying the floor to the walls goes, I'd probably opt for a few thin layers of glass , just to keep water from draining down a crevice. But, no need to make that a structural joint, as you wont notice the increased strength. Chris's Promo was surprisingly solid and it had no structural floor to speak of.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 9:57am
The strapping is useful for screwing the flooring to rather than using the stringers. Some ribs were used between the main and secondary stringers, although we didn't replace them on our Mustang. The original plywood floors were only 3/8". I think without the foam, using 3/8" would make for a soft floor without extra support. 5/8" works well with no extra support. If you're going to have side panels, the amount of flooring overhanging the secondary stringers that you can actually step on becomes even shorter.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 10:31am

So, just because this particular boat was built with glass over foam construction doesnt mean it couldnt be rebuilt foamless, in the same style as other foamless 60's SN's... because we know those held up well.

This and Gary's comment about it being an option addresses my main concern that there was a reason CC foamed/glassed this SN hull and thus I needed to put it back that way. Now I'm convinced so I'll put that to bed.

Thanks for all the insight guys.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 10:39am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If you don’t like the strap floating out there I like the idea of glassing a thin glass covered foam ledge to the hull that the supports can rest on but are not glassed/glued too...

I like this idea, by the way. I have seen small wood blocks used as strap supports as well- cant remember what boat I saw them on or whether they were factory or not... but I cant think of a reason why they wouldnt work just as well.

Bruce, I dont believe the 1st gen SN's used any side panels.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 10:51am
I've seen that on a few pictures posted over the years as well as fiberglass tape attaching the strapping to the hull. I believe these were on early glass boats that were not foamed. I'm not so sure foam was an option up until '68. It definitely was on the early 60's boats, but other than the Skier like Chris Mars has, has anyone ever seen a late '60s boat without foam? I haven't. I know someone with a Classic that says their original strapping has blocks at the ends that just about touch the floor, but are not adhered to the floor or the sides of the hull.

No matter what you do, I would not butt the plywood floor to the hull. Leave a small space.
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 11:58am
Well this has been some timely information. When I did my Mustang stringer job I thought I read everything that I could on stringers, supports and floors. Apparently I did it all wrong, with ribs attached between the secondary stringers and the hull, plywood floor epoxied to the stringers and then taped to the hull. I am about to start a 69 SN stringer rebuild so based on this information I am going to use stringers without the notch cuts, ribs that dont connect to the sides, floor supports with blocks on the ends also not connected. I'm confused about the floor- should it be a fiberglass pan connected to the hull along the sides to keep water out of the hull and capret wrapped plywood sitting on top of it? That was how my Mustang was when I bought it.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by wwchevy wwchevy wrote:

I'm confused about the floor- should it be a fiberglass pan connected to the hull along the sides to keep water out of the hull and capret wrapped plywood sitting on top of it? That was how my Mustang was when I bought it.

If you went with that route it would have to have either foam or possibly a layer of ply just to support the glass "pan". Correct?

I am leaning towards Joe's idea of a semi-removable floor which would be screwed down. There would still be a 1/8"-1/4" gap all around the perimeter of the floor (not glassed to hull). Water would still be able to get in there, but if the hull/stringers were shaped to drain accordingly, and everything is soaked in CPES, then what would the problem be?

I'm not saying this boat will be a trailer queen, but it certainly isn't going to be sitting out in rough conditions for any extended period of time. If you ever thought it was soaked under there, you could still pull the floor up and take a look.

But just when I start thinking along those lines, I read this from a while back:

I agree with Pete, he's the expert. In regards to a removable floor, while it would be nice to access the entire structure to inspect for damage or water intrusion, I think such a concept has too many problems to become viable. The incorporation of the floor into the structure of the boat (essentially tying the stringers together to the hull walls in all directions) really adds to the structural rigidity of the boat. That requires a good bond down to the stringers and several layers of glass to the walls. You also dont want any water intrusion points, so the structural joints also serve to seal the structure off.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
  Share Topic