NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 SN Resto/Mod rev. 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 1:29pm
Sounds like you have been laying more then just Gel lately, lol
Congrats to you and the Wifey on the birth of your son!!

Great work on all accounts!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 3:35pm
Craig,
I feel with the TIG you have more control on the puddle shape especially on a fillet weld. With brazing, the temperature is extremely critical and in most cases you end up with brass flowing all over and not making nice radiuses.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 3:58pm
Pete, that radius was main reason I made them the way I did. I started with a piece of 3 x 3 x 1/8" brass angle. I slit the corner to allow me to bend both sides of the angle out. I was able to get a bend radius that matches the original part pretty closely so there won't be a need to create that radius with the welding/brazing process. The inside of the bracket will just be a flat piece of 1/8" brass with the appropriate cut profile. I will need to then cut the small pieces that will fill the voids, then braze it all together and clean up the joints, hopefully to an acceptable level. We will see.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2016 at 2:48pm
Okay so I'm getting real close to covering the bilge with white gel. I have just a few places to add some fairing compound, then I need to spay my conversion coat of VE primer. Anything I should watch out for? I don't anticipate this being much different than the rest of the gel work, except that I won't be sanding & buffing the bilge (not that OCD).

I also plan to finish the inside of the hull sides. I had briefly discussed this in another thread a year or so ago, but since I fastened my floor to the hull sides, there is a transition where the fiberglass cloth I used ends and the roving of the original hull side begins. I can blend this so there is no step, but I think the texture difference is going to look terrible. So I had thought about just trying to apply fairing compound to fill in the "grain" of both the roving and the cloth and them lightly knock it down with sandpaper then shooting it with white gel. Any other ideas? I'm all ears..

Is that what this would've been from the factory (just plain white gel?)
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2016 at 2:54pm
I believe it would have been closer to cream in the bilge prior to '72. Hull walls were painted white on my '67.

I would grind/fill the transition on the floor/wall to make it smooth then I'd intentionally shoot the gel in a very splattered manner. This is how they achieve the white/gray splattered bilge and hull walls seen '71-86. It hides a lot of imperfections. No need to go 2 colors on yours though, obviously.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 4:31pm
Any further updates Craig?   Would love to see where you are at these days.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 5:27pm
Mike,

Good to see you still visit CCFan. Not that this project was moving at a blistering pace before, but progress all but came to a halt once this guy came into the world. We still did plenty of boating this summer but work on the project boat stopped. I'm not that far from putting things back together though. Everything is gel coated including bilge and interior sides.

He's already drawn to the throttle!
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Colint View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2016 at 12:00am
I would love to see how those window brackets cone out. I'm in the middle of a 66 mustang restoration and mine are toast.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2016 at 10:15am
Congrats on the little one.   Our first granddaughter was born in Feb.    Forgot how great babies are!!    We finally sold the farm, and are moving to the PNW Feb 1st.     We still have the Ponyboat, and plan to keep her forever.    There are lots of lakes out there that will fit her perfectly.    Post a couple pics, would love to see more.    I am so glad that someone could take her and do the rest of the job as well as you are.

M
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2016 at 10:40am
Good to see you posting and still in the game Mikey.....You and Barb need to catch us all off guard with a surprise visit to a gathering.

Craig..... congrats on the new addition!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
  Share Topic