NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 SN Resto/Mod rev. 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 12:07pm
Awesome work Craig, Looks fantastic. I have a project lining up that is going to need to be regelled and I may take your advice. Want to do another one for me?    
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 12:31pm
Craig,
I feel the color is great (unless my monitor is off! ) It's looking fantastic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 1:09pm
Great work Craig...have been following your progress, thanks for sharing the do’s and don’ts on regel of a hull, a great help for all
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

First off Craig,looking great. 2nd is your garage connected to the house,if so your wife is going to kill you Looking at the last couple of photos it looks like the boat is all the way down on the ground already,I'll bet it was quite the workout.I assume the "old" gel turned out ok? What gun did you use,got a picture and tip size?

Gary, this is all being done in the detached garage. Definitely no way you would ever want to do this near the house unless you took major precautions to seal it off.

The boat is up on stands I made, probably about 18" off the ground. You can see a better angle in previous pictures where I had it rolled out of the garage to wash it off. It's the perfect height for working on the sides, but a little high for doing the bottom. I'm not so sure if I did this all over again that I wouldn't just work on the bottom first, then when it's complete/cured, work on the sides on a separate day. It's just a lot to tackle for one person.

I used a cheap gun off of Amazon with a 2.5mm nozzle. I don't have much painting experience so I can't really comment on if it's good/bad, but it seemed to work OK. I think I would've preferred a bigger nozzle though to be able to lay down heavier coats quicker.

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Awesome work Craig, Looks fantastic. I have a project lining up that is going to need to be regelled and I may take your advice. Want to do another one for me?    

After watching the Hurricane thread Alan, I'm not sure you want/need to take any advice from me, but I would be happy to share. Honestly, I would advise anyone thinking about doing their own regel to re-consider, and have it quoted somewhere else. Unless you have good bodywork skills, and have a dedicated facility/tools to do all of the grinding/fairing/spraying, it is just a ton of extremely messy work. It has taken me wayyy longer to get to this point than I ever imagined and I still need to flip the damn thing over . I would've been better off taking the time I worked on this part of the job and got a part-time job at McDonalds, and just paid someone else to do it with my earnings . All that said, there is something to say about learning something new, grinding through the learning curve, and finishing something yourself. The goal for this boat was always to do every bit of it that I thought I was able to do.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 4:22pm
Great Progress !!!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 10:31pm
I am always amazed at people that can tackle a job like this. Lots to be proud of! Nice work.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 10:49pm
yer nutz
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 11:33pm
You know it is done right. I don't think you will get the same care paying someone else.
'92 Sport Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 2:35am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I have a project lining up that is going to need to be regelled and I may take your advice. Want to do another one for me?   

Hmmm.....and what might this be???

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 10:18am
Not a whole lot to report. After a weekend out of town, just really started digging into the boat after I sprayed the gel. I started by wetsanding with 320 but it was quickly apparent that I wasn't removing the orange peel, so I ended up going all the way down to 120. So my process is:

120 grit dry on an 11" Durablock to knock down 90% of the orange peel
220 grit dry on 6" DA sander
400 grit dry on 6" DA sander
600 wet
800 wet
1000 wet
3m Super Duty Rubbing Compound
3m Perfect It Rubbing Compound (???)
3m Finesse It

Any input on whether the Perfect It rubbing compound is needed? I don't have any of that and wondered if it's worth buying it and another wool pad.

I was worried if the gel was going to be thick enough but I think I'm out of the woods with that. After the 600 grit you're not really removing hardly any material. I'm only through 800 grit but I'm super happy with how it's turning out. I finally feel like I'm reaching a milestone with this project. Here is a shot after I sprayed it down after 800.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 10:27am
Craig,
The Finesse It will remove any swirl marks you may still have from the Perfect It however, on lighter colors swirls aren't as visible. You can decide after you use the Perfect It.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 10:44am
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 11:05am
Ha my thoughts exactly.

Finesse it ii is not going to remove the scratches left by the super duty (read the bottles). You'll want an intermediate compound to step between the 2.

Looking great!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 11:13am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Finesse it ii is not going to remove the scratches left by the super duty (read the bottles). You'll want an intermediate compound to step between the 2.

I didn't say the Super duty.
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The Finesse It will remove any swirl marks you may still have from the Perfect ItI.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I didn't say the Super duty.

You just answered a question that no one asked.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 12:23pm
Awesome Craig! How's your arms
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You just answered a question that no one asked.

Tim,
Yup, my ADD kicked in again. Craig's question was on the Perfect it and not the Finesse It.    Thanks for the correction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 12:40pm
You've got an excuse for everything; ADD, old age, cracked screen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You've got an excuse for everything; ADD, old age, cracked screen.

Absolutely. However, I am on a new laptop! What's your excuse?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 12:48pm
Cold up North? Its only 52 out
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 12:57pm
Looks awesome! Nice seeing the progress!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 11:42am
It shouldn't come as any surprise that I wait 3+ months on an update by now, but I actually have a legit excuse this time. My wife recently gave birth to our first child (son), so that is taking up just a little bit of our time, but things are going very well. Taking him on his first boat ride in this boat is pretty good motivation to keep pressing forward.

I wetsanded the bottom & sides through 1000grit and compounded/buffed the bottom. I wanted to wait to buff out the sides when everything is done for fear of getting scuffs/overspray/drips while flipping the boat and working on the top deck. The flip went just as smooth as the first time, using the same method with my single beam, 2 chain hoists, and an assortment of straps.

In between some of the major work I decided to try and fabricate some windshield brackets since the set I have are cracked/bent. I bought 1/8" brass and started cutting and bending. So far this is where I'm at. I plan to braze the pieces together and see how it looks.

Just yesterday I finally got the top deck sprayed with gel. I followed pretty much the same process with the top deck that I did with the hull.

-Ground out and filled major cracks with thickened epoxy
-Laid a layer of cloth and a layer of mat over the front deck since I felt it was extremely too thin, especially to ever be able to walk on.
-Faired (with regular bondo this time, not the marine variety since I wasn't worried about water absorption, and the VE primers I use should be a barrier coat anyway)
-Spray with VE fairing primer from Duratec
-Final fairing
-Sprayed with VE primer from Duratec
-Filled any pinholes with more primer
-Final sanding to scuff surface
-Sprayed 5 coats of Gel. 3 coats were mixed with 1% MEKP and thinned with 10% styrene. 4th coat was mixed with 2% MEKP and 25% Duratec Hi-gloss. 5th coat was mixed 50/50 with Duratec Hi-gloss and 2% MEKP. All sprayed with a HVLP gun with 2.5mm nozzle.

Other than climbing in/out of the boat to do the spraying, this was a lot easier having already done the process once. The only thing I really changed between the first spray and this was adding the Duratec on the 2nd to last coat, and on the last coat bumping up the ratio to 50/50, whereas I was most like 25/75 the first time around. I do feel like this laid it down much smoother, but we will see when I bust out the sanding blocks.

I totally forgot to prep and spray the rear panel that covers the transom, so I still have to do that, but it should be a piece of cake. After that it's on to the bilge.

My tablet takes awful pictures (color is terrible) but here it is. I threw a section of new rubrail on it just to see how it was going to look.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 11:51am
Wow! Looks awesome and congrats on the birth of your son!
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 12:01pm
Nice work Craig. I'll have to come over some time and see it first hand. I'm in Morgantown. Most of my mechanical work is done, but yet to start re-gel. Hope to start that in a week or so. Had engine issues. More than I anticipated. Imagine that!!
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 6:55pm
Craig,
All that hard work is looking fantastic. I know it will give you many years of enjoyment.

Also, if you have a TIG, I happen to feel it works better than brazing on the brass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 11:26pm
Nice work. Great color too.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 11:48pm
Congrats Craig. Great job on the gel and interesting take on the windshield ends hope they work out for you.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 8:26am
Looking great. I will let the dust settle a bit before I ask you if you're ready to gel another boat.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 11:03am
i flipped mine also but did not make bottom perfect like you did. i flattened it out and polished some but there are minor defects. Sides and top of mine are about as nice as yours though.
good work.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 11:36am
Pete, is there a specific reason you suggest TIG? I don't have access to one, nor do I know how, but just curious why you think it would be better. I know it would be stronger but I feel like even brazing this will be at least 2x as strong as the thin pot-metal originals.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

And Tim...never! Although I am considering repairing and re-shooting gel on the deck of the 73 since it has some damage. Adam bondo'd and painted it. It's not real noticeable from 10+ft but I will tackle that some day.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 5678>
  Share Topic