NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 SN Resto/Mod rev. 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

The platform has already been converted to an end table, so safe to say it won't be going back on the SN.

And yet another with class!!

Class and originality aside, I am wondering how we're going to get back into this thing without a platform. Anyone have a good solution? If it were my only boat that I had to use for watersports, I would without a doubt put a platform on it.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 5:13pm
We pull into a beach or sand bar. Or just have everyone in the boat move over to the side your pulling yourself over. You were the right buyer for that boat. It's going to be beautiful.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:34pm
They made portable ladders that can be hung over the gunnel if you're hard over. Or you can climb in like a man- consider it a prerequisite for owning such a cool old boat, if you like.

Pete would be glad to know I helped de-platform 2 Mustangs this year. Keep up the good work, Craig!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 6:47pm
Ha, I figured I'd get ribbed for that...notice I said "how we're going to get back in". The wife has been very generous on the budget of this boat, but that generosity might have a price of its own if she can't even swim out of this thing.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete would be glad to know I helped de-platform 2 Mustangs this year. Keep up the good work, Craig!

I am!! Now maybe TP will get the idea.

Craig,
Yes, the over the gunnel ladders work. If you don't like the idea, I've used the step on the top of the rudder trick many times.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:01pm
If the wife likes the boat, better put the platform back on. Climbing in over the side drags too much water in anyways, and those ladders will scratch the gel. I never even noticed the platform in Mike's picture until someone brought it up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

those ladders will scratch the gel.

The tops have vinyl on them and the horizontals against the hull have rubber bumpers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:08pm
They still will scratch or mar the gel. I'd never put one of those on our boats. We always made everyone take their life jacket off before they could climb back in so the buckles wouldn't scratch. The swim platform is one of the best inventions for these boats, ever. I like the older boats without them, but if your going to use them to ski or swim from, it's pretty easy to justify adding one.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:23pm
Yes,   I totally agree with Bruce. If you are going to use a vintage ski boat as such, you gotta have a swim platform.

Smithsonian Display - No Platform
Useable Ski Boat    - Platform

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:27pm
Someone like Davis makes a nice rope ladder. You could extend the rope and hang it from the pylon to get in. With having the 99 your not going to be seriously skiing behind it anyway .
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:33pm
those ladders are awkward , the center bolt ons are ugly unless factory installed then they are ugly but acceptable. i vote for the swim platform also . there is nothing like anchoring and just sitting back there feet in the water . i would also vote for that rare turquoise it is really a stunning color.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 7:38pm
We use all of our boats to ski regularly... I'll admit that we ski mostly off the dock so so a lack of a platform is not a big deal.   If I had to choose between the scratches left by portable ladders and life jackets and a platform, I'd choose the scratches! Or, I'd buy a newer boat. Creature comforts and interior versatility are not strong points on boats built prior to the bicentennial, I can't see trying to make old boats into something they're not.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:01pm
I guess the old lady will have to ski home!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:30pm
Hang over the side ladder used on this boat for over 50 years, not a scratch to be found due to the ladder (you might find a scratch from an outboard lower unit that grazed the deck - but that is a story you will have to track down my Dad to hear...)

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:35pm
Im a fan of keeping it original. When I bought my '76 I was partly disappointed a PO put the platform on (but at least they kept the step of the factory ladder above the platform which actually looks decent). We never had any platforms before. Don't have the luxury of skiing from a dock. Always put my feet in both bindings in deep water. One day I had an Einstein moment (just a few months ago) and I thought..... crazy idea..... lets put the ski on, while standing on the platform and then casually step into the water, no more floundering around. Ever since then Ill have to break a the rules and always have a platform.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

If the wife likes the boat, better put the platform back on.

Bruce,
My wife likes the X55 and SHE uses the step on the top of the rudder trick!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 9:11pm
My wife says:   "to heck with the metal flake, Chicks dig swim platforms !"

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 9:17pm
Maybe we should start referring to them as chick platforms
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 9:27pm
I appreciate the differing viewpoints/suggestions guys, but I'm not hung up on whether or not to put the platform back on. There won't be a platform on this boat.

The gunnel ladder seems like a good option. I can always store it in the tower racks when not in use.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 9:33pm
Craig,
It will be interesting to see how many people catch on!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 10:20pm
As long as you go with under water lights I am ok with it.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 10:29pm
Pete if he painted the boat or put the platform on which would you pick? if you absolutely had to pick one

former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 10:31pm
Peter,
I'd go with the paint. At least then it would look original!

EDIT: As long as the paint job is the same color as one of the original colors!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 10:08am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

i would also vote for that rare turquoise it is really a stunning color.

Me too, Including the top deck!!

Impressive project Craig!! You will need to drag it up to GL in July to show it off!!

ps, best mod I ever did to my 77' was change out the ladder for a chick platform, lol
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

those ladders are awkward , the center bolt ons are ugly unless factory installed then they are ugly but acceptable. i vote for the swim platform also . there is nothing like anchoring and just sitting back there feet in the water . i would also vote for that rare turquoise it is really a stunning color.

+++1 on all fronts !! And that turquoise is the best color out there !!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 10:47am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I am!! Now maybe TP will get the idea.

Craig,
Yes, the over the gunnel ladders work. If you don't like the idea, I've used the step on the top of the rudder trick many times.

Ha sorry, I platformed mine, it was a heart-braker putting holes in the boat, but idk maybe it's my age, but these boats just don't look complete without a platform IMO.

Also, I'm not sure i'lll ever ski behind my mustang. The platform is just an amazing piece to be able to anchor and sit on or get in an out of the water. To me their just a necessary piece of equipment.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 1:00pm
It's not your age, it's just poor taste.. I won't hassle anyone too much about putting a platform on a '77 since CC was doing the same thing a year later... But something about the colored hulls and rounded windshields just mismatches horribly with a big square platform hanging off the back. But I don't think big spoilers look good on cars either, so it could just be me. Can't argue the function part but I use my classic boats as they're intended (to ski!) and I seem to be managing just fine. It's a moot point in this thread since Craig has the good sense not to re-install it, so I suppose we can quit highjacking his thread. The tower will look great, I'm sure!

That turquoise would probably get my vote, but if you're not in love with any of the other choices, stick with the original light blue... I've strayed plenty of times, but have never regretted a decision to keep something original.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 1:09pm
Tim, next time you spend 12 hours out on Tyler, you might change your mind. I prefer not to have one, but if any of our old boats were our only boat, I'd put one on. They can be done so they look good. But anyway, Craig is going with a tower to hang his portable ladder off of so it's a moot point.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 1:18pm
Yeah, mine really isn't that big, it's small actually and it hides quite well IMO. Riley love your "Complete" boat haha.

O and big spoilers suck.

I like that he's going with the original color.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2015 at 1:23pm
Bruce, im talking the 16-17' boats... They're not something you'd want to spend 12 hrs in regardless of whether you have a platform or not. A case could be made for a larger boat I suppose, but we can agree to disagree about whether they look good or not. Agree, moot point for Craig!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic