NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 SN Resto/Mod rev. 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
Author
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 7:51pm
He may be perfectly fine depending on the rest of the hardware, its just worth checking, as SCR is really nothing more than a bragging point for an engine it has very little to do with how it runs, or what it runs on for gas. Doesn't everyone run an 11:1 compression engine with a 3/4 race cam and a 780 Holley Double pumper? Theres nothing worse than an engine that pings running gas that you can buy at the local gas station, or having to back the timing way down and rob some power from the engine.

Nope, my engine will be keeping the small ovals, which are actually better on a mildly warmed over engine with a relatively small cam than the large port ovals, or the 074 rectangular port heads, because it keeps the intake port velocity up which is good for torque production. Torque gets you to speed, HP keeps you there, having a billion HP produced at 6000RPM does you no good if your engine doesnt run there, and you don't have the torque to get there. The heads will get port matched to a set of large oval head gaskets, but that match is really nothing more than a filet into the first 1/2" of the intake port as oppossed to a full blown porting job all the way to the bowl. They will get a new set of undercut valves, and new springs but other than that they will remain stock. I will be running the melling 22220 Cam that came in the mercruiser 502 magnum engines which is just slightly longer duration (14 degrees more) and higher lift (.510) than the stock 330HP marine engine cams. An Air Gap RPM will be bolted to the heads, and the Holley 780 thats on the engine now will just get rebuilt, and a couple of turndowns added to the air horns (its not a marine carb now).

I think the original BBC were even lower compression than that oout of the box, like 7.8 to 8:1 or there abouts they are horrible. And 53 mph is way down from my Hydrostreams 92. But I'm not going to push one of these barges there without a gas turbine, and probably wings.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 8:36pm
I agree that static CR doesnt tell the whole story... but since we know that exact cam does just fine on pump gas in a 340 with a static CR approaching 11:1, cant we say with pretty good certainty that he'll be safe with a static CR of 10.1:1? The only additional variable would be if he were to install it off center, right? Otherwise Im missing something.

It'll be interesting to see how your boat runs. A few of your assumptions are contrary to what we've found to be true when building a fast ski boat. I think that cam is a bit warmer than you think- did you measure your stocker? 50-51mph may not be out of the question. Clearly these tractors dont have the same speed potential as a purpose built outboard, but the BFN's in particular seem to respond pretty well to power... well, at least they dont behave too badly when pushed well beyond their factory ability. 92 may be out of the question, but I dont think 70 is.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 9:12pm
Yep, advancing the cam will increase DCR, retarding it would reduce it. You can't advance that cam to far because the exhaust valve starts to open right around 3deg ATDC. There shouldn't be anything contrary about building the engine, how it responds in a ski boat maybe, but it will be at least slightly better than stock. If I get it together correctly it should come in right around 420HP and do it below 4600 RPM, but I'm not letting anyone drag me around behind it above about 42 or 43 anyways, so as long as it will make it to the top of the speedometer that will be good enough for me. Water gets really hard above 50 when you fall.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 1:45pm
Mark, yes, the part I disagree about is how a ski boat will respond to hp/torque and where those peaks best benefit performance... most people think that low end torque is what gets these tractors moving quickest but I have not seen that to be true. Im not seeing those hp numbers out of the mods youve described, but Ive only built one BBC so Im hardly the authority. If it runs into the mid 50's like the 425hp HO 454's of the mid 80's then that'll prove me wrong! To get it moving that fast at such a low RPM will require a pretty huge prop... such a wheel may not exist for a 1" shaft. It should be faster than stock though, and that should have you in the 50mph range anyways. Thats definitely faster than I care to fall, but I can think of a few uses for extra power- pulling a huge line of footers or barefoot racing come to mind.

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 3:48pm
Think keeping small port ovals would be a big Boo-Boo.I am a major torque junkie but the engine will have to breath a little better to get into rpm range you need for all around performance.I am planning a lot of prop for mine but 565ci,10.4 comp,with a lot more cam think it can handle it.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

Think keeping small port ovals would be a big Boo-Boo.I am a major torque junkie but the engine will have to breath a little better to get into rpm range you need for all around performance.I am planning a lot of prop for mine but 565ci,10.4 comp,with a lot more cam think it can handle it.

I dont recall the details of your engine build, but the sheer number of cubic inches you'll have on tap would make me think you might approaching prop limitations if youre staying with a 1" shaft and trying to keep the revs down... or are you going to 1-1/8"? Our BFN will pull some props made for 1.23 boats (15+" pitch) north of 5500... How fast you planning to spin yours?

Sorry Craig, Im afraid we've gone off on a tangent here!
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 9:36pm
The old peanut port heads tend to hit there rpm limits around 4800 rpm in stock form and then power will start to fall off after that, with a bit of pocket porting and port matching you can probably push that up to 5000 RPM without to much work. The engine will be a 30 over 454 with a melling 22220 224/224 duration .500/.500" lift (with 1.6:1 ratio rockers), +22 cc dome full floating pistons(about 9.7:1SCR, 8.4DCR), the stock 119cc 2360 peanut port heads (reworked slightly), heavy H beam 6.125" rods, RPM air Gap intake, Holley 780 carb. Should be good for 420 to 440HP around 4600 to 4800 RPM, 525 ft lbs of torque around 3800-3900 RPM.

Would like to keep my max RPMs around 5K, + or - a couple of hundred. The 224/224 cam will start running out of breath at 5200RPM so that's probably where I will want it to run. I have no intentions of changing shaft diameters, props will be open for discussion after the boat finally gets in the water and I see whats up with it. Should look very similar to this dyno chart.

We can move engine build discussions somewhere else.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 9:51pm
No more than 5500 and yes a propshaft upgrade is going to have to be done.Maybe not for this season but definitely been thinking about it.Picked up World tall deck block 4.6 bore and 4.25 crank that makes 565 was thinking 598 but that roller cam I have been saving just won't support that many cubes.I sold the Edelbrock heads now thinking Brodix BB-2's have to find that happy medium between velocity and volume
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2014 at 5:21pm
Love seeing the progress you are making, Craig!!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2015 at 11:56pm
Time to get back to work on the 67. I apologize that I haven't done very well at documenting each step, but I have been making progress.

The first step this winter was to finish getting the floor installed. I debated the different options with the floor, but ultimately decided to permanently install the floor and glass the floor to the hull sides. The lateral supports and the floor have a minimum 1/8" gap between the side of the hull.

I bedded the lateral supports with thickened epoxy.

The floor (5/8" ply) was test fit with the engine/trans installed, then pre-drilled for countersunk screws. All floor panels were soaked in CPES and have a layer of 4oz cloth on the bottom. I installed the floor using biax on the stringers and lateral supports. I screwed the panels down until the epoxy cured overnight, then removed the screws and back-filled the holes with epoxy.

The floor was then glassed to the hull sides using 2" tape, 4" tape, then a layer of cloth from the primary stringer to 3-4" up the hull sides.

Here you can see the gap between the floor and hull under the 2" tape.

Laying out the cloth.

All glassed down. I have been fairing the bilge as well in-between glassing the floor.

I was happy with the result of the floor. It isn't as flat as a pool table but I think it looks good and it's super solid.

After the floor was down I moved on to the part of the project I have been dreading. This hull has a ton of cracks in the gel, and I was never going to be happy with just wetsanding/buffing. So I decided to re-gel the whole hull. I have never done anything like this before so I don't know what to expect, but regardless, I have started grinding off all the old gel so I'm on my way.

I separated this portion of the garage with plastic and got to work on grinding. I started with a DA and 24 grit and got nowhere. Then I tried an inline with 36 grit and also got nowhere fast. This gel is hard, and it's thick. I used my angle grinder with a 60 grit flap disk but this was too hard to control and be smooth and I ended up gouging a few spots so I quit with that. Ultimately I ended up using a sanding disk adapter for my 4-1/2" angle grinder with 36 grit. I'm pretty happy with this method as it's a good balance of speed/control. To anyone contemplating doing this to a boat, this is a nasty job that is going to take quite a while. I'm wearing a Tyvek suit, respirator and lab goggles but the amount of dust is incredible.

So far I ground the transom, 90% of the top deck, and about 1/3 of the port side. I hope to be finished with the hull sides by this weekend. I will then flip the hull and start on the bottom. Anyone have any tricks on sanding the gel from the tight inside corners around the raised lip on the bow?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 9:28am
I admire your work ethic! Looks like a monster project.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 10:04am
I think Pete B knows of a product of tool to remove gel
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 10:58am
Good for you man, lots O progress - I don't envy the tyvek/respirator time you are getting in. I have found the full face respirators to be a pretty decent until it gets too warm out..

Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Anyone have any tricks on sanding the gel from the tight inside corners around the raised lip on the bow?

I have a black and decker belt dragster belt sander that I use to remove gel on those inside corners. As far as belt sanders go, it is pretty much a piece of crap, I have never used it for anything other than that specific task so it is perhaps not the best use of 60 dollars. However, it has a small front roller of about the right radius and a flip back guard that exposes of that roller... so it gets the job done with a reasonable amount of control.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 12:59pm
Wow, grinding all that gel is an incredible amount of work, good for you. I'd love to see a pic of the tool/attachments you used that resulted in such a nice finish. I've used flap discs on my 4.5" angle grinder and the finish was not pretty. I have the deck of my 67sn to do as well so I'd love to leverage what you've done! Any estimate on how long it's taken you thus far?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 3:18pm
Thanks for the tip Joe. Looks like I can get that thru Amazon for $50 so that's definitely an option.

Tim, I'm basically using the 4-1/2" version of this. It's a pretty rigid/flat backing pad that you can fasten sanding discs to. It allows you to hold the pad mostly flat on the surface instead of at an angle like the flap discs. The finish is pretty good but not perfect. If I was more patient I would stop sanding at the first sight of the glass then switch to the DA or inline sander for a smoother finish. It's going to need faired regardless.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 3:30pm
I've probably only spent 6 hours doing what I've done so far with the sanding/grinding. I haven't sanded the real hard details like the small radii/corners so that'll take quite a bit of time as well. For just the deck, I'd probably budget 8-10 hours to get the gel removed.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 11:48pm
Well I didn't get as much progress on the grinding as I hoped, but I did manage to get the deck gel completely ground off. I guess I could have started fairing it but I decided to go ahead and get the boat flipped and get to work on the rest of the hull sides and bottom. I figure I can practice getting the bottom faired and re-gelled and hopefully be pretty proficient for the sides and top.

Here is my sanding adapter for my 4-1/2" Dewalt. I've been using 36 grit fiber disks and it's been going pretty well. This setup can be bought for less than $20 at Home Depot or online for any grinder with a 5/8" spindle.

The deck is all ground. There are spots where the deck is noticeably lighter in texture. I assume these are bad spots in the glass that need ground out and repaired?

Next up is the boat flip.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 11:59pm
To flip the hull, I utilized the single beam I have in my garage. I wasn't sure if I could get it done with 1 beam, obviously two parallel beams would be the best solution, but this is all I had.

I started by lifting the boat by the lifting rings, then setting it down on "slings" that are attached to the beam. These were 20' straps, and the length worked out just about perfect.

Then I attached the chain hoists to a strap that runs around the boat. This allows me to tighten the hoist and slowly roll the boat inside the slings. The only issue was when the boat was about 90°, the boat was able to sag just enough in the slings to barely touch the floor. I added a 2x4 inside the hull from gunnel to gunnel to help keep the side of the hull from flexing.

Overall this process took about an hour, but I was able to do it all by myself in a what I consider a pretty safe manor. I did attach a strap to the two beam dollies to prevent the front sling from ever wanting to start sliding towards the bow due to the hull taper.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:08am
The numerous cracks on the hull sides and chine continue right down the bottom of the hull. There is also what appears to be serious evidence of prop rash.

I had read on here that the 1st gens didn't have a lot of hook in the hull. I don't have a good comparison to know whether this is a lot or not, but I took this picture to try to show what this hull looks like. Since I'm grinding everything down to bare glass and most likely repairing some glass down here anyway, I'm thinking of grinding what hook this does have down to be completely flat to possibly make this thing a little
faster and better behaved at higher speeds. Thoughts?

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 8:10am
Craig,
Good work and thinking using your single beam for flipping the hull. Those light spots look like where there isn't enough resin. I feel they should fill in with a coat of resin. I'd leave the hook but am sure others can add to your question.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 9:52am
i would measure the amount of hook and get back to someone like tim B for advice on how much is going to give you what you want from the hull
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 9:59am
ReidP is the one you want to talk to about how much hook you want in a 1gen hull. He's measured and modified the hook in more vintage cc's than anyone, I suspect.

It's tough to tell in those pictures, but the light areas look more like air bubbles or delam between layers than simply a lack of resin in the surface coat. If the spots are springy or spongey then I'd grind them out... And I might do so even if they feel mostly solid. Is your theory on the gel cracks due to bad gel, environmental conditions (storage in the water, etc) or have you pinpointed structural hull issues?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 10:17am
Tim/Pete,

Those light spots feel pretty solid. I have found some really small spots/voids that were definitely air bubbles, but these areas are different.

The deck had lots of cracks that just appeared completely random. Some propagated from the rubrail holes but there were plenty that were perhaps from bad or too thick of gel application and close to 50 years of age. 90% of the cracks on the hull side and bottom come from the starboard side of the boat and appear to originate around the chine. Again, some appear to start from the spray rail holes but there are plenty that are just random. Since the original construction of this boat didn't have the floor glassed to the wall, and the gel seems to be really thick, I'm wondering if the flex in that area was too much for the gel to last. This is my first archeological dig on one of these, so I might be all wet on my theory.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 10:30am
FWIW I have a CC in my backyard the same color and age that had few hours and decent storage and still has some serious gel coat cracks, the gel is super thick as well. I would tend to agree it was more a gel issue than structural one.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 10:48am
I would assume it's a gel issue too- but looking for any other obvious hints as you deconstruct is a good idea. My '67 1gen has hull gel that is in reasonable shape- most imperfections look to have been caused by use. The deck is a different story, it is just littered with cracks eminating from nowhere. Just a bad batch (bad mix? Shot in less than optimal conditions? Too thick? Who knows). So it definitely happened- and not uncommonly in the 60's.

If the boat was foamed then the floor was probably glassed to the wall, though maybe not so thick as to be considered a structural joint. Certainly some boats (unfoamed) didn't have that glassed joint though and they didn't suffer because of it. Even Chris's early 2gen with the glass floor and foam removed doesn't seem to be adversely affected... The narrow beam and thick construction was beefy enough without it.

Those light spots still make me nervous. I wonder if trying to reach the void (small hole drilled) and then filling with (thinned?) resin would be acceptable instead of grinding, filling and fairing. Leaving them be would make me nervous- the amount of work going into this regel is too significant to want to revisit any time soon!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 11:55am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I wonder if trying to reach the void (small hole drilled) and then filling with (thinned?) resin would be acceptable instead of grinding, filling and fairing.

Excellent technique.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:01pm
I assume Xylene is the solvent of choice, but not as thin as CPES?

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:44pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] I would assume it's a gel issue too- but looking for any other obvious hints as you deconstruct is a good idea. My '67 1gen has hull gel that is in reasonable shape- most imperfections look to have been caused by use. The deck is a different story, it is just littered with cracks eminating from nowhere. Just a bad batch (bad mix? Shot in less than optimal conditions? Too thick? Who knows). So it definitely happened- and not uncommonly in the 60's.
/QUOTE]

The Gel on Dad's 64 is VERY shiny and looks great from 10 feet away, but as you approach there are literally thousands of these spider cracks. They started appearing in the late 80's on the hull and really have increased in number in the last 10 years. This boat has been waxed before it goes into the water for the first time every year and is towel dried every time it is used. So the cracks are not from any sort of neglect.

ReidP calls them the "beautiful patina on a great old boat." I will stick with that, because the work going into this 67 is way more then anything I would want to tackle!!! Can't wait to see the end results, that of course may change my opinion. Keep up the GREAT work!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 12:52pm
I suspect but never have confirmed that the spider cracking is caused by the plasticizer leaching out of the gel. Now all we need is the EPA to come down on that emission!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2015 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I suspect but never have confirmed that the spider cracking is caused by the plasticizer leaching out of the gel. Now all we need is the EPA to come down on that emission!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 8>
  Share Topic