NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 SN Resto/Mod rev. 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

[QUOTE=wwchevy] I am leaning towards Joe's idea of a semi-removable floor which would be screwed down. There would still be a 1/8"-1/4" gap all around the perimeter of the floor (not glassed to hull). Water would still be able to get in there, but if the hull/stringers were shaped to drain accordingly, and everything is soaked in CPES, then what would the problem be?

Craig, that's exactly what I'm shooting for on the promo. Joe was the one who gave me the idea actually. If I remember correctly, we discussed this philosophy over PBR's while riding in the back of the promo at the CT mini. As the boat was loaded with people and pulling multiple trick skiers we discussed how solid the boat was already and how I should go about 'rebuilding' it when the time came.

I don't think I'd take this approach with anything older than a 2nd gen SN since they got wider and seem a bit more thin. I'm guessing the foam became structural in the 2001 boats since they figured out it would let them have a thinner hull. Which would merit why Tim agreed with Pete to glass the floor down on your quote above and with Joe on this instance with the earlier boats.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 12:59pm
I would be careful not to call anything a "fiberglass pan" as it will only add confusion- the late 60's Mustangs had removable fiberglass floor pans that were primarily cosmetic- they sat on top of a traditional glass over foam floor construction.

Most of the other boats from the mid-late 60's through the early 70's that I am familiar with had fiberglass over foam floors, and then vinyl wrapped plywood floors over that (the late 60's Mustangs with the fiberglass floor pans being the exception). The layer of glass over the foam was relatively thin, I dont think it was intended to provide a lot of strength. The wood or fiberglass "cosmetic" floor that laid on top of it provided the necessary impact resistance. So, it would seem that the floors in these boats werent really structural. Which makes sense, since the non-foamed versions of the same boats didnt have their floors tied to the walls.

By the mid-late 70's CC made improvements to the floor design... they ditched the vinyl wrapped ply "cosmetic" floor and instead beefed up the glass layup over the foam. They also eliminated the remaining exposed foam under the gas tank. These floors were pretty well tied to the walls, and I havent seen major evidence that doing so creates enough of a stress riser to promote significant gel/glass damage due to impact. CC did keep the wood portion of the floor (between the motorbox and battery box) away from the hull walls though, so Bruce's advice to keep a gap between the ply and the wall is probably not a bad idea. I would still tie the floor to the walls with glass though, as otherwise there will be a pretty big water intrusion point, and it will also be difficult to hide that gap (cosmetic eye sore) on a boat that doesnt have side panels (which SN's did not).
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 1:14pm
The observations have all been made on how these boats were built but we still don't know why. Before the plywood piece several straps were used. They simply needed something for seat screws to bite into. Carefully shaping a piece of plywood to closely match the hull sides is time/profit consuming. A big enough piece to catch all the screws but not too big to have to shave down was probably the goal. A structural gap, I think not. The fiberglass running over the top provides far more strength than any plywood ever could.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 2:04pm
Hollywood is nuts the gap is important, and the joint between the wood and hull can’t be tapered and controlled like that of the fiberglass, and the fiberglass layer will buckle in the event of collision (even minor) where the wood will not, after a very small amount of compression it becomes the rigid structure. If you put an abrupt rigid support in the middle of a flexible section and send it out into waves it will fail, the more abrupt/rigid and the more flexible the worse the failure will be.   

But he is right on about the cross pieces just being there to hold down the floor and mount the seats that is what they are there for.. , it is always important to know the primary function of the part of the boat you are working on. The hull is there to keep the water out. The stringers are there primarily to transfer the thrust of the engine to the hull. The floor is there to hold you up and to attach things too. Making them do anything they don’t need to do is generally a bad idea. (A floor in a foamed boat is also there to keep water out of the foam).

It should be pretty easy to see by now there is more than one way to skin this cat.   What I would do and recommend for this boat is certainly not what I would do/have done with a newer boat with a carpeted floor.   The early fiberglass boats were very similar in construction to wood boats, it’s somewhat analogous a body on frame construction vs unibody construction on cars. With these boats the transition between earlier and later construction is not clearly defined, between that and the different uses and budget people have for their boats means there is not one right, or even one best way to do these things. I hesitate sometimes to get to far into it on the interwebs because you can never get enough detail out there to cover every situation, and occasionally I have to cringe when I see somebody applying a technique that I have posted to a situation where it is either wrong or simply overkill.. the best advice is if you have any question why or what you might consider doing in a particular situation ask specifically about it. Then read the millions of conflicting answers you get, consider the source and then do it however you want. in general in you repair something exactly as it was originally designed you are safe, any modification from that and you probably should have a pretty good idea of why you are making that modification and what you are trying to achieve with it. Its the difference between being a contractor and an architect, or a mechanic and an engineer.

Some things generally always hold true, don’t rigidly bed something to a surface that you expect to move. Other than the stringers I don’t recommend bedding anything securely on one of these boats, whether it is dangerous or not it simply isn’t needed. If these were fast boats with hulls built with weight in mind the stringers wouldn’t get bedded you would want foam between the hull and the stringers.   

What transitions you do have should be tapered When I run a bulk head or a vertical floor support to replace foam I usually leave an air gap, and tab them to the hull with 3 thin overlapping pieces of fiberglass tape.   Filling in the gap between a floor and the vertical portion of the hull I is better done with a few more layers than that, but the smoother the transition the less likely you are to have problems

If you are going to let something move then let it move.. if you aren’t then make the whole thing rigid. Rigid bulk heads widely spaced , perpendicular to the direction of travel is the worst case loading. More, lighter weight supports connecting all the structure together is better.. a good bonding structural foam is probably best case structurally … except for the whole water absorbing thing.

I have a couple earlier non foamed boats to redo, my plan for them is to put coosa stringers, and then to run cpes coated wood floor supports across the top of them, then put down the vinyl covered cpes infused plywood floor.   The wood being preferred to coosa in those cases because it holds screws down better, and as long as it isn’t actually fiberglassed in it will provide more than enough life and if it doesn’t will be easy enough to change out.   But again, more than a few ways to skin that cat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

It should be pretty easy to see by now there is more than one way to skin this cat.

Yeah that part is about the only thing that is perfectly clear to me at this point.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 4:21pm
C-bass i have 2 almost brand new looking after Market 318 manifolds if you do have to go this route.....they're here in Cincinnati...i could meet you in Batesville to help with drive time....i'd be willing to go $175 for both. I can send pictures(see my email). I'll also give you my gas tank out of a 1968 mustang, it's in a little bit better shape but will still need to be restored, but the neck is still 100%...

send me an email if you want pictures....i pretty much have a complete parts 318 engine i'm slowly taking apart, so if you need anything else me know....email me.... petercraft@gmail.com

Thanks
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 4:26pm
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind as I move forward. The manifolds on the engine appear to be in working condition, they just don't match. One is the older more rounded style with "Chrysler" cast into the sides, and the other is the more squared off style.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2013 at 4:36pm
mine are both squared off....also tank is yours if you want to pay shipping check out the fore sale section of the forum. i can mail ya it for a good price with my work's UPS discount.

btw if you do happen to toss a manifold, i'd love one of the bolt on end plates for my 273, it's being held together by glue right now.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2014 at 8:52pm
Well the holiday break didn't provide as much time as I'd hope, but I have been tinkering with the boat.

I disassembled all the interior and took measurements. The 3 seats in this boat are all made identical except for the the width. I ended up modifying the angle of the observer seat to match the angle of the dash as I plan on facing this seat backwards. I'm not positive but I think it faced forward originally. I ended up following Alan's method on the seat bases and they are rock solid. They still need CPES and glass on the corners.

I also reconstructed a new motorbox just like the original (ugly) one. I wanted to make sure I got my first mistake out of the way early, so I failed to recognize the height difference of the new Performer intake that will be on the 340. I had to add about 2-1/2" to accommodate that nice piece of aluminum.

When I was tearing into the old motorbox, I found several markings of "SN" on the panels. I'm assuming these were from the woodshop at CC. This marking here looks like "SN xxxx?" Not sure what the 4 numbers are.

I've cut out the bulkheads and the lateral floor supports, and also made a battery box that will move its location from under the drivers seat to the middle of the hull.

I am using 3" PVC for the bilge vent, 1-1/2" for the battery cables, and 4" for all the wiring and control cables. 4" looks huge, but I had the space and it should make it easier to fish things through. You can also see the backer strips for the spray rail just laid in there. I had a wide enough white oak board that I made 3 spray rails and 2 backers. I plan on soaking the backers in CPES and glassing them to the hull to enable fastening the spray rail all from the outside. I could just cut smaller blocks for each hole, but keeping 1 piece should allow me to move the holes if need be, and will more importantly give me something to practice steam bending. Any tips are welcome.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2014 at 10:11pm
The driver and observers buckets would have been exactly the same, originally. The observer seat was intended to be reversible (face forwards or backwards) though facing it forwards on a SN was probably not common (and silly IMHO). CC used the same seats on many models. You can see a pic of them in the SN in the 68 brochure. It looks like you made the observer seat wider?

I'm not sure you needed to add the difference in the height of the intakes to the motorbox (1.5-2" of extra clearance is the norm) but you just bought yourself some breathing room. Depending on your goals for that 340, you may want to reconsider the Performer. It's not very highly regarded, and since the intake you choose will require mods for the cooling system, I'm assuming you'll want to get that choice nailed the first time. What heads will you be running?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2014 at 10:44pm
I duplicated the observer seat that was with this boat, whether it was original or not I'm not sure, but it was constructed the exact same as the other seats so I would guess it was. It was 3" wider that the driver seat, and unless they covered up some of the dash instruments this seat faced forwards. I'm modifying it to face backwards, with a small notch out of it similar to this.

The intake is actually the Performer RPM, not just the Performer. Not sure if that carriers the same poor reputation. I believe Mike got this intake from Reid originally along with the no longer available Clevite cam which I also now have. The heads that will be going on are J heads, with 2.02/1.60 valves. Not real sure what a realistic goal is for the 340, but for conversation's sake I'd say I'm shooting for a 325-350 target HP. This is my first engine build, so similar to the boat project, I'm all ears!

I plan on getting the boat back together and throwing the 318 in it until the 340 project is finished. I don't plan to focus a whole lot on that engine until I have a floating boat. I just fired the 318 up this last weekend. I little gas down the carb and it fired right up. I don't think it'd been cranked since 2009.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 8:35am
The Performer RPM is a totally different animal- thats a great choice. So are the J-heads. Whats the story with the short block- will you be rebuilding it from scratch? Piston choice will be key to get your CR where you want it... the J's have pretty big chambers.

Like I said, the original observer bucket would have been identical to the driver's seat (no wider). I'm sure a previous owner had widened yours. It shouldnt have blocked the gauges originally I dont think, but it would have done so rather than having a notch. The observer seat shown in the '70-71 above is also non-original, I believe it would have had the same fiberglass bucket as the driver's. Never seen a notch like that on a factory seat.

From the '68 brochure:

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 10:21am
Yes the shortblock is being built from scratch. The block has been bored .030 over, line honed, and decked. With the new deck height and head chamber CC that was wrote on the shop work order, the shop spec'd Ross 99625 pistons that would put the CR at or slightly north of 9.5/1. I want to CC the heads to verify this though. I think this is still accectable for pump gas?

Maybe I'm seeing things, but in that photo the driver seat actually looks to be bigger?    Could it be possible that I've just assumed the wider seat is the observer seat when actually it is the drivers? Or are you that sure that they should be the exact same?

If they are the same, then I'll be going that route as I don't want to have to work around the instruments.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2014 at 10:56am
9.5:1 will be fine on pump gas... thats actually a little conservative, if anything. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot for 10 to 10.5:1.

I think youre seeing things... its pretty tough to tell the exact width of the driver's seat in that pic as the driver is obscuring the starboard side. The seats are identical in all of the boats that I have encountered with that style of bucket. Here's a pic Pauly Banana posted of his '68 that he purchased new. Im planning to put identical buckets like this in my '67SN.

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 2:09pm
I don't have any pictures, but I've setup my steam bending jig and steam box. I'm using a cheap garmet steamer for the steam, 2" PVC wrapped in insulation for the steam box. I drilled holes into the PVC and put wooden dowels in it to keep the wood supported so the steam could surround the board. The little garmet steamer did great. Plenty of steam and last at least 45 minutes on 1 tank. I have only bent one board (inside backer) just to see how much spring back to expect and will adjust my jig accordingly.

Any suggestions how to prep and fasten the backer? I had planned on coating them with CPES, situating it in place with a little epoxy bedding, then pre-drill and screwing it from the outside to hold it in place, then glassing over it. Once cured, remove the screws and fill holes with epoxy. Is it recommended to use a layer of cloth or anything when you bed? Or is epoxy with fillers OK?

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 3:17pm
Craig are you using one piece of lumber for the spray rails? Your garment steamer will work fine, that's what I used on the Hurricane for all my bending.

I made my spray rails a little differently though and didn't need to steam them at all. Used 1/4" thick strips laid up on the hull for shape and then epoxied them together. You could do the same using a piece of wax paper between the hull and your spray rail stock so you can remove them for shaping. Then cpes, paint and mount permanently.

Obviously I had it easier than you because I could just clamp to the chine but I would think you could use the install fasteners to hold it in place temporarily while laying it up.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 4:13pm
I am late to the party. You have a very good setup for induction on that bad boy. Should be a runner and I would lean more towards the 350 mark for power. Pending cam selection and exhaust manifold capabilities. Going to run 3" exhaust? Those J's with the larger intake valves make some very respectable power from stock pieces.

I agree with Tim in that a higher CR wouldn't be bad. With the cooler engine water temps in a marine engine and cooler underhood temps you can get away with a lot more on pump gas. My car gets pissed off if the outside temps are over about 75. It is in the 10.5 neighborhood. Never actually calculated it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 4:23pm
Zach, the specs on that cam are the same as the stock 340 (auto) grind:

Duration @ .50 lift: 209/220
Duration @ .06/Rocker Ratio lift: 279/289
Gross Valve Lift: .429/.444

All Chryslers got 3" exhaust. Im not sure that 350hp is in the cards, but 320-330hp like Marshall's 340 might be- though he was closer to 10.5 or 11:1, IIRC. That boat was a hoot.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2014 at 10:06pm
Alan,
Yes I was going to be making the rails out of 1 piece of lumber. I don't know if this is going to be a big mistake or not. I'm sure it's going to be tough to get the bend to match the hull even remotely as close as what your lamination did, but I'm hoping that it will bend slightly and comply to the hull when it comes time to fasten it. I have clamp envy by the way, quickly finding out I don't have enough.

Tim/Zach,
Haven't CC'd the heads yet still (too damn cold this week), but they're supposed to be 63cc. With everything else and a .032 head gasket, that would put me at 10.16:1

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 9:33am
Craig, I havent attempted to attach the spray rails to my 1st gen yet, but the thought of pre-bending them never crossed my mind. The bend is gradual enough that Im sure a straight piece of lumber would install without a problem. Of course, a little bit of steam bending ahead of time probably cant hurt!

On the backer, I had tossed around a few different ideas but still havent come up with one Im crazy about yet... though most of that stems from wanting to use composites instead of wood (which generally dont hold screws as well). A full length backer would give you complete flexibility on where to put the screws, but if thats not a concern (like say you know you want to use 8" spacing) then you could always piecemeal the backer(s) instead of trying to bend a single one. I think I would be hesitant to bed the backer in if youre using wood... its certainly not necessary from a structural perspective. CPES for sure, and then a minimal amount of glass to keep it in place is probably what I'd recommend.

Just over 10:1... beautiful!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 10:24am
I agree Tim. The cam is a little weak to achieve that number. Sucks we're all so limited on the RR cam selections these days. Those heads really respond when valve lift reaches the .480-.500 range.

Nice job on the calculated compression! What ignition set up are you planning on for that engine?
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 10:48am
Tim,

Maybe the piece of white oak I have is a little dry, but it wasn't going to bend to the hull without steaming. I could get the backer to bend but it was approx. 3/8" thinner and was a lot more flexible. The steam bending process is pretty simple, cheap, and effective, so I'll just bend them as close as possible and get this backer mounted. I just need to get it in there to proceed with the rest of the floor.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

What ignition set up are you planning on for that engine?

Something that makes a spark! Ha, I honestly haven't thought that far ahead Zach.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 11:14am
Guess I'm getting a little ahead of you!! haha.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 11:43am
Craig, soak that white oak for a couple of weeks before steaming it. Kiln dried white oak is very difficult to bend but the radius your trying to achieve it will probably be fine. I would bet you'll need to leave it in the steam box for an hour+ but it needs to be soaked well or the steam will actually dry it out and it will crack when bending.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 12:16pm
You're right on the money Alan. I soaked that first board for 24 hrs and then steamed it for 50 minutes (it was 3/4" thick) and it did pretty good, but did show some signs of minor cracking so I think it needs more time to absorb the moisture. I wasn't too concerned, it's just going to be burried under the floor for nobody to see, but I will definitely let the spray rails soak longer. I always envisioned pulling a board out of the steamer and it being soaking wet, but it's pretty dried out.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 6:02pm
Don't rely on just your static compression ratios when trying to figure out if the engine will run on pump gas or not. You will also need to figure the Dynamic compression ratio as well, especially with the smaller duration cams that these marine engines run. Theres not much valve overlap to bleed off excessive compression in these cams. As I was working thru my big block for the BFN, I started with +30cc domes on the pistons I wanted, which calced out at just about 10.4 to 1 static compression with all the other parts going into the engine. But when I ran the DCR on the parts the compression came in at about 9.25:1. You need to keep the DCR between 7.5 and 8.5:1 if you want to run pump gas without detonation. As a result I was forced to go with 22cc domes with a 9.4:1 static and an 8.3 dynamic, and my cam has 15 degrees more duration than yours does. The most critical spec is where the intake valve closes on the compression stroke, the closer to BDC the higher the DCR will be, so each cam will bring a unique number to the design. Mine is 47deg ABDC as a reference, yours is around 43deg ABC. You can't directly compare a BBc to a SBF but you can calc yours out yourself at the link below.

http://members.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

I might have been able to keep the +30cc domes with the cooler running engine but it would be right on the edge so for once in my life I'm going a little conservative on the compression ratio in an engine build. It will be at least 2 full points higher than the stock compression on the 454 was, so it should be a lot better without giving me to many hassles with detonation, or idle quality.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 6:11pm
I left the dished pistons in my Ford back in the day because I wanted to run it like I stole it on the cheapest pump 87 I could find. I never dabbled much in the dynamic side of things outside of knowing advancing cam timing tends to build more cylinder pressure. Good for low revving torque producing engines. I have never installed a cam at anything besides a degree verified straight up.

My 67 really detonates on pump gas and higher temps. This phenomenon only happens at or above the 4k rpm mark. Distributor has stock curve and I have only verified timing to 3500 rpms. I assume it is over advancing above 4k rpms.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 6:46pm
Yep, thats either timing or fuel leaning out. My distributor in my 69 Camaro lost the stop bushing on the mechanical advance of the distributor, and under part throttle the engine pings like a can full of stones. Timing was probably advanced at least 56 to 58 degrees BTDC. I had to get a new bushing and massage the advance slot a bit, but all is well now.

While SCR will change slightly based on engine RPM, throttle position, etc. DCR does not change once the engine is built, it's purely a function of when different actions occur in the compression stroke.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

Don't rely on just your static compression ratios when trying to figure out if the engine will run on pump gas or not. You will also need to figure the Dynamic compression ratio as well, especially with the smaller duration cams that these marine engines run. Theres not much valve overlap to bleed off excessive compression in these cams. As I was working thru my big block for the BFN, I started with +30cc domes on the pistons I wanted, which calced out at just about 10.4 to 1 static compression with all the other parts going into the engine. But when I ran the DCR on the parts the compression came in at about 9.25:1. You need to keep the DCR between 7.5 and 8.5:1 if you want to run pump gas without detonation. As a result I was forced to go with 22cc domes with a 9.4:1 static and an 8.3 dynamic, and my cam has 15 degrees more duration than yours does. The most critical spec is where the intake valve closes on the compression stroke, the closer to BDC the higher the DCR will be, so each cam will bring a unique number to the design. Mine is 47deg ABDC as a reference, yours is around 43deg ABC. You can't directly compare a BBc to a SBF but you can calc yours out yourself at the link below.

http://members.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

I might have been able to keep the +30cc domes with the cooler running engine but it would be right on the edge so for once in my life I'm going a little conservative on the compression ratio in an engine build. It will be at least 2 full points higher than the stock compression on the 454 was, so it should be a lot better without giving me to many hassles with detonation, or idle quality.

All good info, Mark, but lets not scare the guy. This is basically the only warmed up RH Chrysler small block cam that has been available for the last few years (its now NLA like the rest) so Reid has some good history with it... and I think some of the builds it was used on were approaching 11:1. Craig wont be breaking any new ground, it doesnt sound like.

Not that its here or there, but the stock (static) CR should have been in the low to mid 8's on that 454... Im sure its listed in the manual in the reference section. Did you swap out the heads for larger ovals? Warm up the cam? Buffalo did both with his '88 and had a CR similar to yours in the mid 9's and it runs real strong, ~53 IIRC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 8>
  Share Topic