NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'63 American Skier in Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2013 at 1:56pm
70 CC, are you talking about the 1-by stringers that run about a foot outside and paralell to the main stringers? They were there primarily to support the floorboards. I have never seen an older boat that didn't have the secondary stringers until the days post-1970 when the floor consisted of glass over the foam.

Are you sure the PO didn't simply replace them? The '63 SN that I have certainly has them. Do you have the hull number of yours? Mine is 1365.
"Art"
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2013 at 5:25pm
Hi Art,

This is Phil (70CC) with the FE powered'63 Nautique. We've talked a few times over the phone. Hull number is SN1403.
I am talking about the same stringers you describe above. I thought I remembered the PO telling me that he added the secondary stringers, but maybe he actually replaced them.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2013 at 11:08pm
Phil, I think my brain is getting rusty. You got me at "FE powered." I'm really going to feel stupid if it means something that should've been obvious to me.
Art
"Art"
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2013 at 11:24pm
Ford FE engines. Big blocks like the 352, 360, 390, 427 from the late 50s - early 70s
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2013 at 9:33am
Now I know more than I did before I read this! Thanks!
Art

"Every day of your life you learn something, even if you don't try."
"Art"
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2013 at 11:45pm
I made good progress on the deck today.
I'm happy with how the 50 year old gelcoat buffed out.
I wetsanded 1000, 1200, then buffed with 3M Super Duty Compound and polished with Starbright Marine Polish. Some deep scratches were cleaned up with 500 grit first.

She is cleaning up so well that I have decided not to get super extensive in the restoration. Sure, she could use a complete re-gel below the water line and maybe that will be on the list next winter. But for now only the worst damage will be repaired and all structural needs will be addressed. Then it'll be a continuation of the cleanup and on the water asap. Should be a nice "all original daily driver". The nicks and scratches that remain will be badges of character on a true survivor.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2013 at 1:55am
KC, agreed... its only original once! Looking Good!!!!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2013 at 2:35am
Nice work!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2013 at 10:04am
The deck looks great!
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2013 at 10:35am
Love the red and white, looks great.
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 2:06am
I've been in contact with the original owners daughter due to some title issues on the trailer. She may have some older photos and history to add! How cool is that? She was part of a ski club on Lake Loveland and traveled all over the US with her parents competing! You Gotta Love That !
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2013 at 11:02am
That's interesting. I might have met her parents somewhere while skiing tournaments in the '60s through '80s. If you want, PM me their names. I'm sure they knew some of the Colorado skiers that I know.
"Art"
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 2:34am
Hi All! Wow, where has the time gone! I was sure hoping to be further along than I am. But now the big push is on for the weekend after next to get on the water. I would like to find some replacement step pads, but the ones from N3 don't look like they'll fit my angled frames. Does anyone know a source for the ones I have?

I am also trying to source a stern light and don't know what I am looking for since the one that was on it was broken and obviously a replacement from some time in the past. Were they adjustable or fixed?
I had her running today, I will search how to post a video ASAP.
The new temp gauge works great.

The tach doesn't work, I was hoping it was a loose connection somewhere but no luck. It looks like Westach still makes a similar model but I'd loose the CC face.
That's all for now. Thanks in advance
PS Thanks Art! I did receive the copy of the manual. Great info! Hope all is well!
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 2:52am
Hopefully this works
'63 American Skier 312 Y-Block
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 3:33am
I'd used an old automotive tach for a while and mount it on the steering column. A few of us have had tachs rebuilt. (good fall/winter job) I would sure check into that to keep the CC logo. Dale Kocian in WI did the tach in my 73 SN.

On my stern light , I "built" mine from some old ones I had laying around. Watch good ol Ebay. Use "vintage stern light" / or "old stern light" in boat parts for starters. Might try replacing the word stern with anchor in your search as well. Can you make a temporary one out of a newer light to get you by for now? Not the best detailed pic, but here is the one I made out of old parts...

Speaking of Ebay .. these look like the same style ..step pads Only two of them, but I'd jump all over these for the price!   Plus, you at least know the manny and part number to continue your search.

btw.. looking (and sounding) GREAT!!!   

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 10:17am
Great-looking boats, guys. I'm pretty sure the tach is an Ongaro brand name. The CC badge might have been applied over the original brand name.
62 Wood, where did you get the CC burgee? I have an original white/red one, but would like to get a repro for "everyday" use. I keep the original put away for special occasions.
cbdenco, next time I'm where my '64 is stored, I'll have a look at the stern light. It might be identical to that on the '63. I'll try for a photo if it looks original.   
"Art"
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 10:48am
So I was able to locate an almost identical stern light lens for Dad's Ski Nautique, I will have to try and find the receipt, there must be light that goes with it... I will post when I find it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 11:21am
I'll save you the trip Art,I took these a couple of years ago at Astor. Phil was asking questions,you graciously told me go ahead take what you want. Perko still makes them but the cap is now plastic

Here is mine,my base was bad I bought a new Perko and used the parts

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 11:33am
KC...she is looking and sounding good. Keep up the good work. I'm excited to see yet ANOTHER member of Team Red be back on the water.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

62 Wood, where did you get the CC burgee? I have an original white/red one, but would like to get a repro for "everyday" use. I keep the original put away for special occasions.

Art,
I worked with a local sewing lady to have mine made. I made a full size white paper template and layed out different color combinations with red and blue markers before deciding to go with this one. She ended up making a left and right side, so it doesnt read backwards on one side. She also sewed a pc of solid white material between the two outside pcs. A little stiffer than an original, but works great.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2014 at 3:52am
Hey Kc
for some reason I cant send pm ? my email is dochockey@aol.com
can you send me a line ?
thanks Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 10:52pm
Update- About two weeks ago I finally made it out to the lake! Here's a few pics. Having never had a inboard boat I must say I really like this boat! On a sad note, I bent the rudder pretty good somewhere on the road the last time out. I really don't know where. I never felt a thing and can only remember one intersection where it may have happened. In my defense for those that don't know, Colorado roads are HORRIBLE! Abrupt changes in road surface of 2 to 4! inches (bumps) are common and often not marked. Anyway now I'm paranoid and will have to fabricate some kind of hokey prop/rudder guard for my #2 trailer. So much for keeping it original.
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 10:55pm
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 11:18pm
Beautiful! Too bad about the rudder.
Js
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 11:23pm
Ouch if you know someone with a press you might be able to bend it back. Keep your eyes open on ebay or here,they do pop up every now and then. Do you have the trailer level when it's on the tow vehicle?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 11:30pm
Yikes, that's a bad lick on the rudder. To the best of my knowledge, that exact rudder is no longer available from CC. A 27A rudder will work, but you might have to change the height of the rudder port. Whatever you end up using, make sure you get the blade as close to the hull as possible.

Don't even think about having that one straightened. It will crack, possibly not visibly, but you could go out of control or have an "inadvertent inversion."
"Art"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2014 at 11:58pm
I changed mine awhile back and cut off the part of the port that
extended underneath the hull. The bottom of my port was mushroomed
out so bad I had to cut it off to even get it out of the boat.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 12:17am
I talked to a guy here in Denver at Props Plus that said they could fix it so I'm going to give them a try. It is level with the tow vehicle. I've thought of going tongue low but it's really more of a fulcrum problem. I only have about 8" ground clearance at the prop and I think the rudder was even a little lower. I was looking closely at the rudder port tonight and that's damaged too. Expensive lesson!
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 12:20am
Yikes! Thanks for the good advice Art.
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 12:25am
Gary, Now that you say that your port extended down that helps me make sense of my rudder mystery. I added the bushing you see in the pic because it had over an inch of vertical play. I figured the original bushing got lost at some point in the past. Now I realize the rudder port was changed out at some time and the new port is pretty flush with the hull. Do you notice any change in handling with the newer rudder?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic