NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'63 American Skier in Colorado

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 2:28am
I gave the old girl a needed transfusion today and re-winterized as well

I'm not sure if this is an original idea or not, but it's something I came up with for changing the oil filter on my Harley (which lays horizontal as well) without making a huge mess. I use three layers of foil and create a pan / funnel. Easy and no mess!

I also think I have found the correct info for the water pump on the Interceptor 312. I believe it is a Sherwood M-10270-G

I'll be sure when I get it pulled apart. Looks like the major repair kit is available.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 9:54am
That's a good idea with the foil on a filter change!! I always use a couple of rags and Never catch all the spillage! I am due for a change and will try, thanks.
Js
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:23am
I have never seen a remote oil filter mount like that on a marine 312, interesting...

Another resource for the Interceptor engines
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:26am
KC,
It's great that you changed the oil but you used the wrong stuff!! You want to use a oil with ZDDP. Valvolene VR1 is my choice on all my old flat tappet engines including my 312 Y block. I highly suggest you do another change before the cam is ruined. RR cams for the 312's are VERY hard to find.

BTW, I just put a baggie over the filter when removing it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:34am
A baggie!! Now I am actually excited for this oil change!!
Js
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:57am
Dang! I hate being a newbie! Peter, what do you think of this as an option?

Thanks for the link Steve!

PS Fellow CCF (ers) with older Skiers, please post more pics. The diary pics are too small. Need more closeups     Thanks!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 11:24am
KC,
I've never been a fan of additives but you can try it if you want too. I'd just change out the oil again since you aren't talking much $$. Typically a additive costs as much as a couple quarts of oil.

BTW, the only additive I keep around is Marvel Mystery but that's for other reasons than anti wear.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 11:37am
Good point. Thanks Peter.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 3:35pm
If you are looking for a source for Sherwood Pump stuff, Depco Pump in Clearwater, FL has everything imaginable for Sherwood pumps. They are a Sherwood distributor. If it's totally obsolete, they can suggest a retrofit.
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

If it's totally obsolete, they can suggest a retrofit.

The impeller is not obsolete. It's a very common size. The pump on the 312 is a dual cavity. I just changed mine out several years ago.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

KC,
I've never been a fan of additives but you can try it if you want too. I'd just change out the oil again since you aren't talking much $$. Typically a additive costs as much as a couple quarts of oil.

BTW, the only additive I keep around is Marvel Mystery but that's for other reasons than anti wear.

+1, use the proper oil.
Those Y blocks are so sweet! Maybe it's just me but they seem to have a distinctive sound. I love hearing them in the old T-Birds too.
Beautiful Y Block sound
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 7:36pm
I've used the baggie method for many years now, works very well. I always feel like engineers that build oil filter mounts anything but facing down must have never changed their own oil!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If it's totally obsolete, they can suggest a retrofit.

The impeller is not obsolete. It's a very common size. The pump on the 312 is a dual cavity. I just changed mine out several years ago.

Pete, I was thinking more in terms of the major rebuild kit or the entire pump than of the impellers. If it's one of the pumps pumps with two identical impellers, they are the same ones used in the G21 pump, found on the PCM Fords. The part # is PCM RP061015 or Sherwood 9959.

"SEVERAL years ago??????" You believe in living on the edge, don't you? I recommend that folks change impellers once a year -- it's the cheapest insurance you can buy! :)
Art
"Art"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2013 at 10:20pm
Art,Pete changes impellers when he changes points,whether he needs one or not
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2013 at 12:18am
you should try one of the silicone impeller from globe! our impeller from 1995 is still good!
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 9:53am
I worked on cleaning the stringer / bilge area yesterday and stripped deck parts for fiberglass work.

Looking for opinions / knowledge on a couple of things.
Best way to pull the steering wheel? It's already cracked and I really don't want to break it

Is the dash emblem glued on or does it set with pin holes? Because there are no nuts on the back side.
Again, I don't want to break it.

Also, anybody know what this decal on the intake was / said originally?
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 10:09am
It looks like the factory had to cut two floor support purlins for exhaust routing with this engine.
(the fiberglass pulled away from the stringer was done by someone else looking at the boat before I acquired it)

Are all original stringers mahogany?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 11:17am
Dang! I had this written and accidentally pushed "Backspace" and deleted it! Here we go again:

It is likely that the stringers are clear fir. However, in those days of operating in bankrptcy, if there was mahogany in the stockroom and we would have had to buy fir, the priority was to not spend $$. I have to say, your photo does look like maghogany. Have someone who knows woods have a look. All I know for sure is that you don't want to use pine.

The spots where the woven roving is missing look like perhaps the floor support originally extended to the main stringer and someone cut ot the portion over the exhaust well and didn't patch the glass back in. My guess is that the hull was built for some other engine and they had to cut the support out to accomodate the 312. It looks as though the plywood bulkheads in the front of the exhaust were put in later.

I have an owner's manual for a 1965 312. The decal on the intake manifold reads as follows:

Recommended owner procedure for
FIRST 25 HOUR INSPECTION CHECK (this line in large bold print)
Ignition timing -- use timing light   (Strange; no spec shown!)
Set valve clearance -- .020    (my '65 had an alternator)
Set spark plug gap -- .030
Set distributor points -- .018
Tighten generator belt   
Tighten engine mounts
Align engine
Change oil
Firing order: 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2

When I first started on this site, someone had a photo posted of a really beautiful restoration of a 312. All the decals had been replicated and it looked 100% original, exact color paint and all.   

I have two and a half 312s which I hope to make into one restored one. Please let me know if you find a source for the replica decals.

If you want a copy of my owner's manual, I will be happy to copy it and mail it to you. I don't have a scanner good enough to do it and I don't know how to post attachments on this site. I could take it to Kinko's / FedEx and have it done on a professional scanner and email it to you. Let me know. PM me please.   

Art
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 11:24am
Oh! .....The dash emblem! It has pins cast onto the back side of it. No barbs or threads. It is simply pushed into the holes. If you are lucky, they would have drilled all the way through the dash, and you can take a small drift punch (or a small nail) and put it into the holes under the dash and CAREFULLY back them out. Just a bit at a time, alternating between pins. There are usually two.

You might be aware that I have a supply of replicated "Correct Craft" script emblems that were on the rear quarter on the hull. Details are under "Boat parts for Sale." Search "metal emblems."

Art
"Art"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 11:29am
Steve Hilpshe makes repro Interceptor decals. I've bought several set of them. Very good quality. I can post a link to his site tonight or you can search for him at marineengines.com
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 11:43am
Thanks for all the info Art!!! I will PM you.
The bankruptcy theory makes perfect sense. I'm sure the wood is mahogany, I've been in construction way too long. I've installed some mahogany entrance doors, that's why I was surprised to see it. It's so expensive these days(I understand it all comes from South America now, which was the low end stuff back then), but they used it like crazy for everything back in the day.
That would also explain why I have a steering column instead of a teleflex. And the CC emblem instead of American Skier on the dash. And the hull not made for the 312……..but then I see from the reference section that the 312 was not on the option list for the AS line. Must have been a special order?
Thanks again, so much history I'd like to know on this great survivor.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 1:02pm
When you pm Art,give him the serial number too. When he gets a chance maybe he can look it up for you.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 1:21pm
Your steering wheel is repairable. Mine actually had part of the hub broken off and missing. I made a cardboard "dam" and used epoxy to build it back up.

Before.....

After repair...

I did have to make a "bottom puller plate" since the wheel hub has no screw holes for the puller to thread into. I cut a pc of steel a little smaller than the hub diameter. Then notched a slot to clear the steering shaft. Drill and tap the plate to accept bolts from the puller. Drill the holes so the bolts go thru the existing hub slots. Slide this on the bottom of the hub and use the center bolt in the puller against the steering shaft to gently pull the wheel. I took a few days and sprayed the fitting with lube and keep increasing pressure a bit each day.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 1:48pm
We used a lot of mahogany in the wooden boats, and they were just being replaced by glass in '63. After the WWII years, mahogany was nearly impossible to find, but through some of his ministry connections, W.O. Meloon was able to go to the Phillipines and make arrangements to buy it in large quantities, so we became one of the few boatbuilders that could get it.

As Gary said, I can try to find some history on your boat if you want. Our 1963 records are very hit-and-miss, so I would say there is about a 50-50 chance of my finding the info. I guess you know where the hull number plate is; on the port-side stringer between the front and rear enigine mounts.

In those days, again due to the bankruptcy and need for $$, we would make almost anything that a buyer wanted. Many boats were started as one model and converted to another. For example, some years the Mustang and the AmSk were the same hull, different deck. If a customer wanted one or the other, the sales guys would tell them that whatever was ready to go could be finished out as the other model. That is partly the reason there is such a hodgepodge of hardware on the classic boats. Also the fact that we used whatever was in the stockroom.

I love the old mechanical steering systems. Wish we still used them. No slack, no lost motion, and they always steer with very little effort. I had a boat that the owner had put a very heavy steering wheel on, and you could "throw" the wheel and let it spin lock-to-lock at docking speeds.
Art      
"Art"
cbdenco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbdenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 3:01pm
Thanks Steve, that's along the same lines as I was thinking to get the wheel off. Nice repair!

Interesting history Art! You've made really happy that I have the old gearbox style.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 4:42pm

"SEVERAL years ago??????" You believe in living on the edge, don't you? I recommend that folks change impellers once a year -- it's the cheapest insurance you can buy! :)
Art

Art,
The new impellers were more that 20 years old!!    I installed them before I brought the X55 to GL. The old ones looked pretty damn good for their age and I never had a cooling issue. I even posted pictures in a thread. The vanes had some set to them but showed no signs of wear and as Gary mentioned, I went the same # of years on a point set.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 4:48pm
That is a wonderful boat you have there and it is really bringing out some good stories. I hope to be able to follow the progress on the thread and learn a bit more history of CC.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 4:54pm
KC,
A PO has hacked up the fuel line between the two YH carbs. It should be hard piped. I HIGHLY recommend hard piping before you end up with fuel in the bilge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2013 at 10:25pm
Interceptor decals

http://a2d-designs.com/

70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2013 at 1:20pm
Is it possible that the secondary stringers were added at a later time? My 63 Nautique which is a wider boat, did not originally have secondary stringers but they were added by the P.O.

-Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic