Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Transmission Rebuild Dirty Neutral-Should I Care?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Rebuild Dirty Neutral-Should I Care?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Rebuild Dirty Neutral-Should I Care?
    Posted: September-06-2013 at 8:53am
After replacing the shaft and having FFM rebuild the 1.23 transmission for my 89 SN, I noticed a dirty neutral while adjusting the packing gland with the boat in the water and the motor idling, 1 turn per second. Interestingly, when I ran the boat in the driveway immediately after the rebuild, before the first lake test, the prop shaft did not move; then again, the cutlass bearing was new and had never been wet, there was no water coming through the packing gland, and I think the packing gland was too tight.

I have seen replies on other threads stating a dirty neutral is caused by clutch plates dragging. I think the warranty period for the rebuild is a year, but there are just a few hours on the rebuild since I just got it back in the boat. Is this a reason to send it back?
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 10:43am
I would call FFM to discuss it.

Let us know what you find out. Maybe it is the nature of the beast.

Mine has had a dirty neutral since I bought it 6 years ago.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 5:16pm
Same here after Eric rebuilt mine. It's nothing like it was before the rebuild, you can stop the shaft spinning with a light touch to the shaft coupler. Before the rebuild there was no way to stop it short of wedging a piece of wood at the prop. I would actually unhook the shaft from the coupler when winterizing or running on the trailer to keep the cutlass bearing from burning up.

Eric said it was normal for a little movement after a rebuild on the velvet drive.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 6:18pm
I would imagine all of the pieces need a little time to wear in to each other when they are installed at the correct tolerances.

Not sure never drove a fresh rebuild.
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 7:42pm
I was told of a good shop near Chicago called " federal marine transmission inc" I was told they do good work. That is a good question to ask. I would think moving in neutral would be wrong on a new rebuild but I know nothing. I will be sure to ask. I plan on sending mine in soon.
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 2:26pm
Thanks for the insight everyone. I may give FFM a call, but I don't think I will worry about it anymore.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
SanderB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanderB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 12:25pm
Did you manage to get some more info about this dirty neutral?

My '91 PCM 40a 1:23 has just been rebuilt and also has a dirty neutral. You can stop the spinning shaft by hand, but it's enough to get the boat moving at about 2-3mph while in neutral. My mechanic says it's normal, but in my opinion it's very annoying to have a boat that tends to go forward all the time.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 12:51pm
Sander,
Welcome to CCfan. Have you been on site before under a different screen name?

The dirty neutral is not normal. It sounds like your "mechanic" is covering up a "rebuild"! What does he consider a rebuild?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2015 at 3:47pm
Welkom bij het leukste botenforum Sander

Welcome to CCFan Sander. If you ever want to talk boats, come on down to Belgium (Maaseik, near Weert). Beer is always cold in the fridge for CCFaners

Pete is one of our mechanical guru's here. And if your mechanic really rebuilt your trans, as Pete stated, it should not have a dirty neutral.
My old trans has a little dirty neutral and I got used to it. Works perfectly fine for the rest. And when in neutral, the prop makes one spin every two to three seconds, so not to bad yet...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic