Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Mustang Resto-mod Jax, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 10>
Author
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Mustang Resto-mod Jax, FL
    Posted: August-13-2013 at 1:11pm
I made some time this weekened to work on the Mustang. It turned into a major Charlie Foxtrot!

So first off, I dropped off the trailer to have some metal welded to repair the fenders. Showed them exactly what i wanted, came back, totally wrong, I just left... It was so hot Sunday, I could not even touch the new fenders without a rag to hold them.

I got all that done and loaded up to head to Black Creek to set the packing on the drive shaft. It started out very peaceful, I hit the boat ramp about 5:30 pm, hoping most of the crowds would have cleared.

I was by myself and needed the small bit of beach next to the ramp to tighten the packing. As soon as as I backed onto the ramp, a boat zoomed up and took that spot.

So after pulling back out and a bit of a wait, I got the boat on the beach and did my work. Right next to the ramp 2 local marine patrol were hanging in there boats and writing speeding tickets one after another. I got one of there attention and told them I was working on the boat. I had no floor or Doghouse and the navigation lights are off at the powdercoaters. They said just be careful and get back before sundown.

So I idled out of the wake zone and went about 300yds on a plane and under a bridge. As soon as I clear the bridge I hear WHOOP WHOOP and marine patrol is signaling me to pull over. So I idle up to where he has 3 boats around him. Turn off the motor and float. I start getting a little close to another boat and start the engine to back up. The brand new ignition relay sticks and I have to jump back and bang on the relay to get it to stop. Then I jump over the front window and push off the other boat I am about to crash into, whew.

Marine Patrol lectures me about no wake when passing him while he has someone pulled over. I was doing the best I could just to keep this old girl running! I ran a little more on a plane and headed back to the ramp to check the packing.

So on the beach there is a 26 ft Sea Ray with the ladder down and three kids playing in the water next to it, with the engine idling. On the other side is a guy and 2 kids fishing! I idled around for 20 or 30 minutes and now the enginge starts stalling out when I put it in gear and the starter sticks 2 more times. I had enough and paddled in where the guy was fishing. He was nice and we got talking about the Ford motor.

The Sea Ray finally left and I managed to drag the boat onto the trailer by myself. Drive on or no drive on I am putting a winch on that thing this weekend.

So I got all packed up and the boat was sitting pretty crooked on the trailer. I backed it back down the ramp and let it settle a bit better. I pulled out and the trailer bounced. I hear a loud bang and somebody yelling it came off! I stopped and the boat was about halfway down the trailer and the new Wal Mart hook I used was straight!

I managed to get the boat back on the trailer and Mcguyver a hook. Made it home fine after that.

Whew, guess it was still better than a day at work.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 2:38pm
That sounds like quite the adventure Bill. It certainly is a labor of love...
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 4:04pm
Wow, I feel for you. You must be a man with patience I would probably been arrested or worse!
Watuugasn84
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 5:07pm
sounds like a pretty typical day of boating to me
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by wataugasn84 wataugasn84 wrote:

Wow, I feel for you. You must be a man with patience I would probably been arrested or worse!

x2
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 9:37pm

Here was on the way to my maiden vogue after new stringers and regelcoating my boat did not make it out of the drive way. Talk about a sick feeling
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 9:54am
woah
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
rapok4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapok4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 10:15am
yikes....I have seen that before. Luckily it stayed on the trailer. I live just across the river (Nocatee/Ponte Vedra) if you ever need a hand. I am off all week and work the weekend nights. Your welcome to give me a call even if you just need an extra set of hands at the ramp.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 10:16am

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 10:23am
I was really worried about this same thing on my 1970, the tow eye bolt has some of the gelt coat starting to come off, but i checked to make sure it's secure and it is, it still scares me.

There's a lot of stress on that little eye bolt when it comes to putting my boat on the trailer, why I'm going to look for a #2 trailer this winter.

No way I would have got the boat on a trailer evenly by myself. I had my brother in the truck while i lined the boat up myself, worked out well.

Also i suggest getting a scissor hook or something little more heavy duty that than that walmart one.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:04am
Originally posted by ST79 ST79 wrote:

Here was on the way to my maiden vogue after new stringers and regelcoating my boat did not make it out of the drive way. Talk about a sick feeling

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... My Eyes!

That brings back nightmares of when mine slid off the trailer onto the ramp a few years ago. Luckily for me the boat was half in the water and was able to push her back in the water liked a beached whale.

Bent rudder, prop and tracking fin was the result.

NEVER, EVER, EVER NEVER spray the bunks with silicon spray.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:13am
I never did that to mine either and since there are no pictures that's my story and I'm sticking to it Mine slid off enough for the rudder and prop to be holding the boat up but it was in the sand at my own ramp. Did not enen damage the prop
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 11:22am
I once passed a scene where a pickup pulling a master craft had been in an accident. The boat had jumped the bow cradle on the trailer and was sitting with the nose through the rear window and the bulk of the boat in the bed of the truck. Made me appreciate the Correct Craft trailer bow stops. Years before a camera phone so no pictures, unfortunately.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 11:39pm
Success!

I had a great trip out today. I learned a good lesson. Only buy starter solenoids from NAPA. I put on 2 from Autozone and both would not release until you banged on them. Pulling my hair out, I searched the web and found lots of people with the same problem. Crappy parts. Put the Napa on and it works like a charm.

I had already tightened the packing on my rudder and driveshaft. I also set the the neutral throw a little cleaner on the throttle. So I was ready to go.

I messaged my buddy Robert and we met up at the Seaboard boat ramp on the Ortega river this afternoon. The boat started right up. It conked out the first couple of times I put it in gear, but it just needed to warm up.

That little boat hauls ass! With 2 guys in it it jumps out of the water and does 45 faster than a jet ski!

Found a few more things that have to be addressed, exhaust manifolds are leaky, engine has blow by. But I think I can play with it now until the cold weather hits. I love this little boat...

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 12:25am
yea they kinda grow on you
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2013 at 10:56am
They definitely do!
1970 Mustang
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2013 at 1:37pm
Small update.

After deciding there were just too many little problems with the Mustang to run it it this year, I have started toward the restoration process. The first step was to have a place to work on the boat.

After 3 days of work and 127 bags of concrete, I am much closer to that goal!

Here is a pic of the boats new home. A few more tarps for sides and I should be good to go.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 1:39am
I'll be watching this, my 351w has blowby and I want to rebuild it myself this winter. What powerplant is in the 68?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

What powerplant is in the 68?

Most likely would be a Interceptor SBF 289.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2013 at 10:29am
Nice job on the pad, you should think about building an actual 1 car garage on top of that slab after putting all that work into it.
1970 Mustang
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2013 at 12:10am
Well the engine cover is just about done, just needs a little more compounding.

On to the boat! I have pulled most of the hardware. The gas tank, gauges, carpet and moving on to engine disassembly.

Here is where I left it this evening.

Any ideas where I should send my velvet drive transmission for rebuild?

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2013 at 8:31pm
Lots more work on the boat interior today. Everything is mostly stripped and the engine is ready to pull.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 2:16pm
Started Diggin' H'mm I hit water...

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2013 at 9:38pm
I spent another couple of hours today breaking out foam and made a good bit of progress.

When I removed the gas tank I noticed that the clamp that holds the hose to the filler neck on the gas tank was loose. I didn't really give it much thought. Well when I dug out that corner, there was at least a quart of gasoline that was saturating the foam . I guess it was splashing out and running down the sides.

I grabbed my respirator, fire extinguisher and some rags to clean up that mess. SCARY! I am pretty sure there won't be any foam going back under the gas tank!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2013 at 10:59pm
Engine is out and at the rebuilder. Transmission also. Shaft is straight. Now comes some itchy, dirty work.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2013 at 11:11pm
looks like someone sistered some replacement wood in the motor area,and broke off your floor pan. What are your plans,you replacing the stringers and using a ply floor? Too bad about the pan,I think they were one of the best ideas for these models
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2013 at 11:55pm
The floor pan was beyond help. Had many cracks, chips, repairs, screwholes. This boat lived in FL and must have seen many long hard seasons. It's tired.

Im going to cut out the layer of glass over the foam and remove all the foam.

Going to cut out secondary stringers. Then grind every square inch of glass. I will cut the top glass over primary stringers, remove wood and repair any damage to fiberglass channels.

The stringers will be poured with Seacast. Then they will be tabbed in with 2 layers of 1708 biax.   All other wood will be replaced with I think it's called duracore. A dense black foam between two layers of fiberglass board. Then sides and any exposed hull will get a layer of 1708.

Battery holder is going to move to forward center.

That's as far ahead as I can think right now.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2014 at 12:51am
With the exception of the stringers this is how it will probably
look it will be interesting to see how the seacast will work,
any idea how you will bolt the motor mounts down?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2014 at 1:31am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 7:44pm
WOW, right now I can only dream of the day my boat will look so nice.

The shop that is rebuilding my engine has been doing CC work for many years. I think the engine is going on a bracket that came out of a Ski Nautique. Same for the battery box, he has one out of a Ski Tique.

For right now all I can say is YUCK!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 10>
  Share Topic