NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Mustang Resto-mod Jax, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 10>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 10:56pm
Your all wrong,it's Brilliant Blue, a Correct Craft approved color,just the wrong year

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2015 at 10:46pm
Made some progress this week. Sanded out the dash. Made a template for the layout.

I found some old momentary switches for the horn and might make a latch relay to run bilge and blower on another. Found a two position pullout switch I like for the lights.

Not sure on gauge placement. Going to have to keep looking at it for awhile.

Battery box is done!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 10:20pm
Cold and rainy here. Working on dash layout and components.

Made molds of both dash logo's and I am working on cleaning up the first pulls.

I think I am going with the dash layout pictured below.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 10:43pm
You could go this route also,some passengers like to see how fast     
they are going too. I like how the horse turned out,what do you use
to cast that?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 11:05pm
I like that layout.

Smooth on mold max and stoner mold release for casting. Smooth on Smooth cast 300 for prototype. Probably use 300 for the copies too, Light weight, slightly flexible, easy to tool.

Tons of mold making tutorials on ebay. I learned repairing pinball machines, you can't buy it, you probably will have to make it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 11:55pm
It's the 69-70 Mustang SS layout,hour meter is to the right of the wheel
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2015 at 9:31pm
I think this is what I am going to build.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 11:19am
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

I learned repairing pinball machines.

That's interesting....My local skibud is big into pinball machines. He has 10 of them in his basement. Are you into that realm as well?

Great progress on the boat and I too like the method of reproducing the emblems. Is the plan to spray paint them 'Chrome Silver' or can you actually get those fake 'Chromed'?

Keep the pictures coming! This is another great rebuild thread.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2015 at 7:18pm
Pinball is what I do for a living. Been repairing games since 1988. I have 15 pins legged up and ready to play, more in storage.   

Once the emblems are cast and preened up, I can send them off to a plastic chrome place. They come out like most plastic dash emblems. I have something different in mind for mine.

I shot the inside of the boat today. Laid down lots of clear, it was dripping off the dash...

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2015 at 11:24pm
Dash Prototype is done!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2015 at 10:56pm
Scary stuff.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 9:14pm
Fit the gauges in the dash. Did another round of gel coat on the deck and dash.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2015 at 10:12pm
Lots of wetsanding. Glassed in my support for the front kick. Gel coated the inner side walls. Baked the boat in the sun all day, turning every four hours.    Just finished buffing out the dash. Ba Da Bling!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 12:17am
Gauges installed.

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 12:33am
Sweet.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2015 at 12:48am
Looking good,bet you can't wait!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2015 at 1:08am
Spent the day at Outlaw marine today. Result: New helm, steering cable, strut and exhaust tips in place. All through hull fittings bedded in.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2015 at 9:41pm
Added some Bling today.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 12:02am
Your project is coming along very nicely.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2015 at 1:20am

Playing around with dash logo ideas.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 2:42pm
Lots of ponies.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 10:15pm
It's been awhile, had some set backs and just had to walk away for awhile. I got the engine back in the boat. The engine cover wouldn't fit over the Mercruiser log manifolds that I bought last year. That shouldn't be a total loss, I need a set for my Ski Tique project and I think they will fit under the cover on it. So I had to purchase a set of PCM manifolds. Since I lowered the engine by putting in the aluminium cradle, they fit nicely under the cover.

I had the wiring done. It cost exactly double the quote. I really wanted it done right and I had nothing to go on but a generic schematic so I felt it was the best course. At this point I'm bleeding money like mad.

So now my mechanic who is supposed to be the best of the best and set everything up for engine mounting and alignment cant get the engine aligned. Oh and its an inch too far forward so the mounting is going to have to change. He tells me well I can pull the engine, put a old prop shaft in the strut and bend it to where I can get it aligned, then move the engine back or you have to buy a longer prop shaft. Don't know how much it's gonna cost just leave the boat here and I will F*&^ you with no lube. Would not take responsibility for his work and tried to blame me for not measuring correctly.

I left with the boat. Parked it and did not look at it for several weeks.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2015 at 10:34pm
So after cooling off for awhile. I found a fantastic dvd off of Youtube. Townsend boat works. He does high end Chris Craft restorations and goes through engine alignment, log install, strut alignment in great detail. It cost me a few bucks to order but was well worth it.

Armed with this knowledge, I found a very competent engine mechanic who works on everything from ski boats to trawlers. He let me bring the boat by and in a few hours we had the engine aligned. We decide to move the engine back 1 inch as it was interfering with the front of the engine cover and there was not enough space between the prop and strut.

He pulled the engine and I brought the boat home for modification. I pulled the engine frame. Filled in the holes with a thick fiberglass bondo chop strand mixture then gelcoated over them. Reinstalled the strut and I had to shorten up the rubber tube on the log to get clearance for the packing nut.

Everything is back in place and I am waiting on him to get some free time to reinstall the engine and align it.

Wrong holes:

Filled with RONDO

Ski pole and frame refitted:

Engine cover in place:

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 2:29pm
Still no engine. Been working every evening sanding gelcoat. Putting in a full day of hand sanding today.

I test fit the engine cover and rear deck templates. Just need an engine to get everything into place...

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 9:37pm
Sanded 220, 600 dry. 1000 wet. Buffed Aqua Buff 1000 and 2000 compounds. Whew what a workout.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 9:42pm
Bill,
When the wet sanding water turns pink, then you know your finger tips have had enough for the day!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bill,
When the wet sanding water turns pink, then you know your finger tips have had enough for the day!

😄😄😄
It looks beautiful. I hope I get towed it in person sometime.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 10:37pm
Very nice work!
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2015 at 12:55pm
Thanks for the kind words. Been working damn hard and it really helps.

Shiny!

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2015 at 1:19pm
That boat looks great Bill. Nicely done
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic