NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Mustang Resto-mod Jax, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2014 at 8:33am
Careful with that 540, it's generally considered too large for the 16' boats. It would leave you with minimal hull clearance as those boats were set up for 12" diameter props. The "cut down" version of the 540 works great- they took 1/2" out of the diameter and call it the 1210.

Sorry Gary- I'm all over that jack!
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2014 at 9:26am
Platforms rule, don't be jealous, i love having a swim platform, i park my boat on a sand bar and just relax on the back of it with a cooler.

also great for putting skis.

too each their own.

anyways crazy color combo, looks interesting.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2014 at 10:38am
You snooze you lose Tim. How about sending me pics and diamentions when you get it please?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2014 at 10:20pm
Well I have been feeling a little better I got the Mustang trailer back from the powder coater and partially assembled. Now only if the weather was cool enough to gel coat...

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 9:19pm
Almost finished with trailer, Just need to put front stop and side poles on. I went with some carpeted pieces of plywood to keep the boat off the fenders. It was easier than trying to recreate the missing side guides.

Finished all the body work on the hull and shot gel coat. I came up with a wild mix that worked very well for me. The gel was kicking way too fast in this 100 degree heat. So I tried refrigerating the gel coat. Worked like a charm. 16 oz of ice cold gel, 2 oz styrene, 1oz acetone, 10 cc mekp. Shot as fast as I could at 60 psi in a 1.8mm tip pot gun. Then spray with pva after it kicks. Comes out glossy and hard as a rock.

Hull is done. On to deck...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 9:47pm
Hull looks awesome. What color for the deck?
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2014 at 10:38am
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2014 at 11:37am
By the looks of the box you have not sanded it to smooth it out and polish. I don't know how you can and not affect the metal flake,you might want to look into Duratec clear additive which might help. This place has a good discription on it but a higher price. I used half of what they recommended on my console and deck repair.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2014 at 1:30pm
That picture was awhile ago. Just after I had first shot the engine cover. I used a dump gun and an entire gallon of clear. It's really thick. After wet sanding and polish it looks amazing. I have a quart of duratec, but the price more than doubles a gel job. Going to use it on a small piece, just to try it out.

I plan on using the dump gun again on the deck and I have a gallon of clear to cover it after applying metal flake.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 2:55pm
There is nothing quite like finding a spider crack in the side of the boat, after your have gelcoated it    So looks like there will be another pass on light blue boat sides. Been spending time patching holes and cracks in the deck and lots of sanding.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2014 at 5:55pm
Well if you are a fan of different color side details, or a purist, my side stripe is done. Keel Blue with lots of metal flake. On to the deck!!!!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 3:12pm
Its time for Sunday Spidercrackapalooza in 95 degree heat.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 3:58pm
Looks like a 6 pack job!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2014 at 4:42pm
On the + side you don't have to wait long for the gel to set!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 10:35pm
I think I drank a half of a flat of water bottles between Sat and Sunday, but got a ton finished.

I found the correct flag holder at West Marine today.   

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 1:54pm
Too each his own, but wish ya just stuck with 1 color blue and did a white top.

Anyways how did you do the gel coat?
1970 Mustang
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Too each his own, but wish ya just stuck with 1 color blue and did a white top.

Anyways how did you do the gel coat?

Well in my case re-gelling a previously painted boat goes something like this.

Buy boat.

Find forum and get lots of excellent advice.

Build covered area to work.

Buy sander and sandpaper. Buy respirator mask.

Sand, sand sand, sand. Buy more sandpaper. Sand. Buy new mask. Sand. Buy more paper. Sand. Buy new sander. Sand. Wash neighbors car. Sand. Buy paper. Sand. Grind spider cracks. Fill cracks with peanut butter. Sand. Find more cracks,grind, fill, sand. Sand off detail body line. Mix gelcoat for fairing and fill holes in new glass patches. Sand. Buy more paper. Wash car. Sand. Buy mask. Sand. Whew ready for gel!

Buy gel, PVA,chemicals, 2 sprayguns in case one gets hot and gel kicks. Buy PVA gun.

Wait until weekend and start early. Wipe everything down with acetone and...

""Finished all the body work on the hull and shot gel coat. I came up with a wild mix that worked very well for me. The gel was kicking way too fast in this 100 degree heat. So I tried refrigerating the gel coat. Worked like a charm. 16 oz of ice cold gel, 2 oz styrene, 1oz acetone, 10 cc mekp. Shot as fast as I could at 60 psi in a 1.8mm tip pot gun. Then spray with pva after it kicks. Comes out glossy and hard as a rock.""

Then on first weekend finish spraying bottom and one side. Hear a bang and see smoke coming from compressor motor. Finish spraying gel in cup. Clean up. Run out of air and get no coverage of pva. Cuss a lot. Go to Home Depot. Spend $500 on new compressor.

Lose 2 entire weekends wiping up uncured gel with 2 gallons of acetone. Sand last of gooey mess off. Do more fairing. Find another spider crack. Sand. Buy more gel and tint. Sand.

Next 2 weekends in a row get everything right and finish the bottom and side hull.
Somewhere in there I went through about 3 sanders. Harbor Freight and Black and Decker. This Dewalt seems to be holding up. Probably a couple hundred in sandpaper and masks. But I'm learning and some of it is actually fun.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2014 at 12:22am
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

But I'm learning and some of it is actually fun.

I found that out too when I re gel coated my console and repaired my gunnel where the PO mounted the Morse control.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2014 at 8:16pm
Spent the last 2 days sanding and filling holes in the deck. Did a lot of filling pinholes with gelcoat. Finished repairing the dash. I shot the first coat of gel and sealed it with PVA. Lots more sanding ahead.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 10:49pm
Hosed off the PVA and its looking better. Now sand it all off and do it again.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 10:10pm
Today the thread is one year old! I have come a long way, but there is still much to do. Seats, engine cover, engine and trailer are all finished. Demolition, stringers and battery box are all done. Gel coat is very close to being done.

It will be done when its done....

bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 11:34pm
Nice work !! Excellent progress keep it up these things take time. She will be beautiful when done!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 7:46pm
You deserve a ton of credit for the gelcoatwork you've done, really impressed....not sure ill ever do it on mine.
1970 Mustang
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 9:41pm
OK another 95 degree, 14 bottles of water weekend. I shot the metal flake and clear gelcoat. Then put the boat BACK ON THE TRAILER!!!!! I see a day or 2 of major work space cleanup coming up next.

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 9:58am
Looks GREAT!
Js
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 11:52pm
Sprayed off the PVA after work.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 10:11pm
Set up the bow stop and winch after work tonight.

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 11:16pm
The boat may be unconventional but I think it will look awesome when complete. Nice work!
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2014 at 8:44am
Are you going to put a pinstripe where the dark blue meets the light blue? I looked for the answer, but didn't see it in the thread. You have done a lot of hard work, looks good.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2014 at 2:52pm
Not sure about pinstriping. Once everything is shiny, maybe. Other than a lot of color sanding and sweating there hasn't been a lot to report.

I got the new Bow eye installed. A new ski pole fabricated. Now the bilge is done being gelcoated. Next is to fit the engine cradle and start on foam and floor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic