Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Mustang Resto-mod Jax, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
Author
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 8:30pm
Today's project, bed and fillet port stringer is complete! Its amazing how just a little variance in a mix can make a huge difference. My first mix of resin and chop strand for filleting had too much chop in it. It was hairy as hell and I had to fight it to lay it down.

Second mix was perfect, it flowed right into the gaps and I was done in a flash. I am so glad that I am getting to some of the enjoyable parts of this resto/mod.

crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 1:36am
Keep up the great work danger! It's coming along nicely.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2014 at 9:29pm
Well thanks to some amazing weather, I have primary stringers bedded and filleted.

Too cold for glassing today, so I took a trip to the mechanic and figured out a few things. I looked at a couple of old ski nautiques that use this metal cradle and saw how the stringers were cut to bring the cradle flush with the floor and the recess for access to the engine mount bolts. I can now router this out and proceed toward glassing. Also figured out placement of the rear floor panel support.

It looks like I am going to have to cut the cradle down at the ski pole clamp. Its at least an inch too high.   

The engine is DONE! It came out amazing!!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2014 at 9:52pm
Forgot to mention, it was pretty cool pulling out my grandfathers hand plane. I had no idea how it worked, but figured it out. It was very helpful in shaping the starboard stringer.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2014 at 7:16am
That engine looks sweet!
And the rest is coming along nicely...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2014 at 9:27pm
Well another busy weekend. We finished my buddies seats and he got them installed. Looks like a new boat!

I picked up the wood for the secondary stringers. Then I spent the last day and a half cutting out the old secondaries and grinding the hull. I got some foam in from US composites and foamed out the small section in the forward bow. Things are moving along.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2014 at 10:06pm
Here is Saturdays update.

Busy day today. I glassed in the entire stern area. 1 layer of chop, 1 layer of 1708 biax. Now its ready for secondary stringer installation. I also cut the stringers down to fit the engine carriage. Those 2 things took all day.

I also got a nice box of happiness from TRbenj in the mail. Original light, step pads and two vent scoops.   

Sunday I worked on the starboard secondary stringer. It's in and filletted!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 6:39pm
Port secondary stringer bedded and filleted!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2014 at 12:09am
Spent the day cutting wood and fibreglassing. I cut and bedded the fuel tank risers. Cut and set in the aft floor support. I also worked on glassing over a few unwanted holes in the aft deck. Sanded down all the wood in the boat and all fillets. Cleaned up that mess and I should be ready to tab in the stringers tomorrow.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2014 at 9:56pm
A busy weekend. Saturday I got the engine risers and all the way to the engine cradle slant done on the primary stringers. 1 layer of chop, 1 layer of 1708, layer of chop, layer of 1708. Overlapping 4 inches and 6 inches off stringer.

I wasn't sure how to deal with the cutout for the aft floor support, so I just glassed over it. I will dremel it out and add the support in after the log is back in place.

Sunday I had to get some materials and a close quarters drill. I forgot I need weep holes between the secondary stringers. I am leaving a few inches in the rear open for access to swim platform bolts. Going to have to cut that in before glassing.

After shopping I did my longest layup ever. I didn't want the engine cradle to sit on a joint in the glass, soooo... I did a 62 inch layup. It was quite a work out, but I think it came out well.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 2:51pm
I had some free time this morning so I laid up the port side engine cradle area. Whew am I glad that is done.

I also got a nice video of my engine.

Engine
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2014 at 3:45pm
You're not messin around I know who to call next time I need stringers.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 8:54pm
Old Cuda I'd be glad to help but it's going to cost a lot in food and hard cider.

STRINGERS ARE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is now officially time for a cold adult beverage or three.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 9:18pm
Looks good I hope you haven't been waiting that long cold beer!!
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2014 at 9:15pm
Today I got the ski platform and exhaust pads bedded in. They are a composite material called kcell and should never rot. The rudder pads and strut pads are cut just need to glue 'em in.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2014 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

Today I got the ski platform and exhaust pads bedded in. They are a composite material called kcell and should never rot. The rudder pads and strut pads are cut just need to glue 'em in.

Ski platform on a 68?

A CPES treatment on ply works fantastic. Please expound on the kcell you mentioned since a search comes up with nothing. Be VERY careful with substituting materials. What strength specs did you come up with? Compression strength is the key. Does it compare with ply or did you even bother looking at them??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2014 at 12:28am
Kcell?

I think this it what the Kcell is. I get it from Outlaw Marine in Melrose, FL. He won't tell me exactly what the brand is, but it's wicked stuff. Tougher than plywood and you can lay resin right on it for laminating. They use it for decks and bulkheads. Runs around $300 for a 4x8 sheet.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2014 at 10:49pm
Got the rear pads glassed in. Cleaned the stringers of all the glass fuzz. Spent a lot of time sanding evil red paint and shot the rear deck with a first gel coat. Log should go in soon.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 10:07pm
Took a drive today and test fit the engine. Aligned and bedded the log.

bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 9:50am

Kcell?

I think this it what the Kcell is. I get it from Outlaw Marine in Melrose, FL. He won't tell me exactly what the brand is, but it's wicked stuff. Tougher than plywood and you can lay resin right on it for laminating. They use it for decks and bulkheads. Runs around $300 for a 4x8 sheet.

If you got it from Don then I wouldn't worry about it. He knows what he's doing. The boat is coming along great Bill. Keep up the great work. Hoping to see you out on Santa Fe this summer!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 9:26pm

Took a drive today and test fit the engine. Aligned and bedded the log.

Did you remove the log from the hull? How did you go for a test drive without water coming in? I think you may have your terms mixed up!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 10:16pm
He didn't go on a test drive. His post clearly says that he "took a drive" and then "test fit" the engine. As in, he drove to where his boat is stored, and then test fit the engine into said boat.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 10:20pm
And I seem to remember that the log was loose in the hull when he got the boat.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

He didn't go on a test drive. His post clearly says that he "took a drive" and then "test fit" the engine. As in, he drove to where his boat is stored, and then test fit the engine into said boat.

Ny_nautique, I like this and the the translation you so nicely contributed the other day.LMAO!!!!! Sorry pete it is funny even though its at your expense......
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 5:14pm
My boat she gotta lotsa holes in the bottom, she no float....

Red paint sucks.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Ny_nautique, I like this and the the translation you so nicely contributed the other day.LMAO!!!!! Sorry pete it is funny even though its at your expense......

Well, in the boating world, I interpreted "took a drive" as being with the boat. Thanks for clearing up the issue!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 5:33pm
Rudder pad, strut backing plate and log all laminated in!

wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 8:35pm
Did your boat have a strut backing plate or did you add one to the boat? I just wondered because neither my 69 Ski Nautique or my 71 Mustang had one?

Really nice job you have been doing, your engine looks sweet. You should be back on the water in no time.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 11:14pm
The backing plate just seemed like a good idea. There was some damage on the hull from a previous strike, so wanted some reinforcement. Thanks for the kind words. Looks like you have the same journey ahead of you.

I spent the day today cleaning out all the sanding crap. That red paint dust got everywhere. I cut the first fiberglass piece for the front of the boat. Got the air intake ready for hose connection. Then I spent a couple of hours sanding paint off the bow. What ever the hell kind of paint this it it is EVIL.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 12:03am
Sanding, sanding, sanding. I sanded about 90% of the starboard side today. All paint has been removed from the cap. In between I foamed in my piece of sheet fiberglass to the bow. After trimming the foam, I bedded in the aft floor brace, the fiberglass in the bow and patched some of the holes in the dash.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
  Share Topic