Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Mustang Resto-mod Jax, FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
Author
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2014 at 9:19pm
IEEEEEE!!!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 8:26pm
Today's progress. Dig, dig, dig.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2014 at 8:40pm
Doesn't look too bad,I see the foam is still white
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 9:14pm
All the foam is chopped out! I can also add that a Rockwell Sonic crafter will cut through fiberglass like butter.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2014 at 4:51pm
I got a few things done on Friday.

The foam is now all out. Rub rail and ski platform brackets removed. Just a few thru hull fittings and on to grinding.

I also picked up my motor mounting bracket. Its a pull from a junked CC. It test fitted perfectly. I might have to do a little ninja magic to get ski pole right.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2014 at 12:41am
It's a slow grind. Carpet glue REALLY sucks.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 10:44pm
The carpet glue battle is over. I lost 1 grinder and blew through 6 grinding pads. Now I get to do it all over again to remove paint an gelcoat. Woo Hoo.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 11:50pm
Just got some nice Bling back from the powder coat shop.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 7:38pm
Lots more grinding.

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 2:00pm
lol, nice goggles.

Keep it up!!
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2014 at 3:22am
Just got this sexy carb back today. Remanufactured by All American Carburators. Lifetime warranty.   

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2014 at 6:59pm
Well finished grinding the bilge today and did a little cleanup.

Then I decided to take a look at the shaft thru hull fitting that was delaminating in the back.

OOOOPPPPSSS! Hope that is not a bad thing.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2014 at 2:15am
I got in some more grinding time and then gave everything a good rinse.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2014 at 9:13am
Looks much better. Would you mind grabbing some stringer width dimensions for us? Centerline to centerline on the mains and secondaries would be great (I assume they stay a constant width front to back).
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2014 at 10:51pm
What measurements and how do I make them? I'd be glad to.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2014 at 9:00am
Stringer spacing (width), both primaries and secondaries... tape measure would work well. Thanks!
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 1:02am
Well I have not had anytime to climb in the boat but there has been a bit of progress. Firstly it has been upgraded to a bost.

Engine is back from machine shop and on the stand. being built. New log manifolds came in. I built a pallet for the engine and transmission assembly so I can store it while it waits for the boat to be finished.

The strut has also been reconditioned with a new cutlass bearing.

Now the pics:

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2014 at 12:58pm
Working on engine mounts to take to shop for engine transmission assembly.

Old n rusty.

Blasted

Paint

Polish

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2014 at 7:21pm
OK, I measured the stringers. Looks like the primarys are 22 and a half on center and the secondarys are 40.

I went a little wild with my sonic crafter, a large screwdriver and a wrecking bar. This was the result!

Stringer is out.

I also finished up the refurb on the motor mounts.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2014 at 8:25pm
Spent the day grinding n sandblasting.

Grinding still sucks!

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2014 at 1:41am
Both stringers out. Majority of grinding done. Going to cut some cypress stringers hopefully Friday :]

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2014 at 6:32pm
More work on the Mustang today. Got up early and picked up the valve covers from the powder coat shop. Then I headed to Waldo to see the PO Jim.

Jim had 2 very nice 2 inch by 14 ft pieces of cypress that were perfect for new stringers. We cut and planed them down. Then using the old stringers for a pattern, cut out the rough shapes.

Heading home I stopped by the motor shop to check out the progress there.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2014 at 6:56pm
seems to be coming along nicely
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2014 at 10:05pm
Bill,
Careful with cutting that Cypress - leave plenty extra to scribe to the hull. It's hard to come by these days unless you get in touch with one of the "swamp loggers"! Excellent choice but do be careful with the prep. It's pretty oily but the strong solvents in CPES will cut through the oil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 4:57am
Wow looking good Bill!!!
Those motor mounts cleaned up really nice
'82 Ski Tique
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 8:51am
Why the change of heart? I thought we were going with Seacast ?

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 11:07am

8122pbrainard: Cypress is easy to find here. There is a place just outside of Waldo on 301 That sells every kind of cypress possible. From trunk section for furniture to entire logs! Its been there forever too. I remember my dad stopping there back in the 70's and buying wood for an epoxy wall clock when we were moving up from Tampa to Jax.

This Cypress Jim actually milled at the sawmill and put up on his lumber rack about 10 years ago, so its nice and dry. Stuff is hard as a rock, the saw would barely cut through.

Unfortunately I can't afford epoxy for this project. I did manage to find a good quality layup polyester resin for $100 a 5 gallon bucket. Figuring on about 15 gallons for the job.

gR@HaM: Thanks for the kind words. Your gel coat work was one of the reasons I decided to try gel coating myself. I would never use paint now.

I have a little Harbor Freight sand blaster that I used for the cast iron. I decided to try blasting the SS parts, then buffing them with the wire wheel on my bench grinder and was very happy with the result. The brass is coming out great too.

dochockey: Well 2 factors really, amount of work and cost. If I were doing a newer boat that had the stringers completely encased in glass, I would almost certainly do Seacast. Once I got the stringers out of the Mustang and cut out all the rotten fiberglass there wasn't much to use as a form left. They only used one layer of woven roving to glass them in and there were several bare spots with no glass at all. I have 2, 4 x 8 sheets of fiberglass that I was going to use to replace missing glass but I was looking at probably 2 days of work on that, then grinding the faces of all the old glass once the stringers were poured and then having to laminate all that in, whew!

With cost of materials and paying for help with mixing and pouring I was looking at a minimum cost of about $600. I am trading pinball machines from my collection to finance this project and it has already cost a Guns and Roses and a Theater of Magic machine! Jim was kind enough to give me the cypress and help me cut the raw stringers. He is also going to supply the wood for the secondary stringers when I get ready. Quite a savings.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

Unfortunately I can't afford epoxy for this project. I did manage to find a good quality layup polyester resin for $100 a 5 gallon bucket. Figuring on about 15 gallons for the job.

I think you're gonna give Pete a heart attack with this...

Polyester is a no go for a restoration, because it's hygroscopic...
So, before you know it, your new stringers will be rotting again...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2014 at 2:43am
Weather has been nasty here but we had a beautiful day today. We worked on recovering my buddies seats and test fit my stringers.

dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 1:49am
Spent most of the day today working on seat for my buddies boat. We got one pullout finished.

I did get the fiberglass tube for the weep hole and first coat of resin glassed in on the port stringer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
  Share Topic