NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SN95 Won't Start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SN95 Won't Start
    Posted: June-25-2013 at 9:59pm
Hi All

So I took my SN95 out of storage 3 weeks ago , ( stored during the winter in a heated garage here in Montreal.

Brought it up to the lake as I have done for the past 5 summers , put it into the water and turned the key.   The Starter turned the engine but it wouldn't run.   Checked the kill switch but that was engaged as it should be.   So since m not a mechanic I had no choice to give it to the local mechanics.

so now here is where it gets interesting. he speaks only french. My French is really bad and certianlly when it comes to engine parts.

he saidit might be what the " set coil" not sure what that is. so he did some testing and changed the " ser coil . I guess its the coil in the distributer. then he siad that he some how broke the "gear" i guess its the distributor drive gear, now he's wiating for the part from ford. he says he checked all the relay and if once he gets the gear part and it still does not work it is going to need the "computer" replaced.   

does any one have any Idea's on this and if it is the computer how much could that cost?

need guidance    thanks

dstop
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:17am
What engine are we talking about?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:32am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

What engine are we talking about?

GT-40 MPI/EFI
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 11:14am
its the GT 40 EFI    Thanks
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 11:57am
Originally posted by dstop dstop wrote:

so now here is where it gets interesting. he speaks only french. My French is really bad and certianlly when it comes to engine parts.

he saidit might be what the " set coil" not sure what that is. so he did some testing and changed the " ser coil . I guess its the coil in the distributer. then he siad that he some how broke the "gear" i guess its the distributor drive gear, now he's wiating for the part from ford. he says he checked all the relay and if once he gets the gear part and it still does not work it is going to need the "computer" replaced.

Is this where Pete jumps in and goes off on a backyard mechanic that has no right to be working on boats?

If so, he would be right...

Dstop - couldn't you have gotten the guy to point to the part he was talking about?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 12:44pm
Your right.   However it started out that I thought I was just a simple thing   As the boat is up at the cottage and its very far away from the nearest nautique dealer I gave it to this guy. He has done my tuneup in the past, as he is just down the road from the lake.

Also I dropped of the boat and returned to the city. Since then I have been talking to him over the phone. I wished I was there so he could just point to the parts but Unfortunatly I haven't been able to get up to the lake yet
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 9:30pm
When you turn the ignition switch to on can you hear the fuel pumps run for 1-2 secs (prime cycle)?

This is a very good basic starting point for a GT40 engine that cranks on starter motor but will not fire.

The ECM's for the GT40 are getting scarce and are around $600. They should be repairable as they are a standard Ford EEC1V computer system with a locked custom tune developed by PCM.

I would get your mechanic to do a lot more trouble shooting before just shotgun replacing expensive parts. The language barrier could be interesting to say the least. Is he a competent mechanic on fuel injected engines?

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:12pm
Not sure about the fuel pumps sound as Im not with the boat. But If i'm not wrong when It first wouldn't start I think I did here that sound.

today I spoke with the mechanic again, this is where we are at, he said he checked all the wiring , relays and anything else that would cause the engine not to fire up , he changed the Distributor coil,   He said he found the distributor gear at a scrapyard, from a ford engine, he is going to replace it tomorrow and then try to start it up. He figure it should work. however f not he explained that then its going to be the PCM.   so I should know more tomorrow . any more input would be appreciated   Thanks for the help so far    
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:34pm
I think he is chasing a no spark problem by the path he is taking. Sounds like he changed the stator (hall effect pickup)inside the distributor and that is how the distributor gear was broken.

Has he tested the TFI ignition module. This TFI trouble shooting chart may help him. It is for auto application and the signals are all the same except the run/IDM signal from memory. It is pretty obvious when doing the tests and comparing to PCM engine manual in reference section.

89 Ski

dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 10:41pm
Yes you are right it seems to be no spark   when I first tried to start it, it turned over but did not fire up, he had me check st see if the spake plgs were getting juice.    Thanks for the TFI worksheet. Do you have it in French LOL   Just kidding , I'm planning on going up there friday , if he hasn't fixed it, then Ill translate the sheet for him.   

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 12:29am
I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about a 95 GT40. But, is it a RH engine? Is the junkyard dizz gear going to be LH?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 1:30am
Steve the GT40 did not come out to 95. CC had been using the 1.23 tranny since 89 which reverses the rotation in the trans. Engines with this trans all use standard auto rotation LH engines. So the dissy gear should be OK.

There were a few exceptions on some basic config models that used RH engines with the 1:1 trans. Have not heard of anything after about 93 with that engine and trans configuration. Tim would be able to confirm when they finished.

89 Ski

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2013 at 1:47am
lewy, Thanks for the GT40 lesson! as you can tell, I have no idea about all those "new-fangled" boats!

just sounded like dstop already had enough surprises..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2013 at 4:05am
Hey there, hope you don't mind me picking your brain, about a similar problem I just ran into. I have a 2000 SN 196, with the GT-40, 5.8 motor. couple weeks ago, while skiing, the boat would completly die, but usually just for a sec, and keep running. Yesterday, it did it while skiing, but kept getting worse. Limped it home, and now it will not start. I think I am ok, mechanically, maybe a little old school. So, I started to trouble shoot things. I ended up replacing, cap, rotor, MAP sensor, ECM module, the 2 relays(at the back of the motor),coil(which was very corroded at the high voltage end), I replaced the 1 lead coil wire( have all the rest, just have not put them on yet). Am I missing something, I am a little stumped now. Any thoughts is very much appreciated.

Jim
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2013 at 8:14am
give your temp switch and oil switch a smack with a wrench. I did it on my Supra because it kept going into limp mode during skiing. Worked great for a long time.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2013 at 9:48pm
Jim,
Do you have spark while cranking??

Sometimes throwing all those parts at the problem will only confuse the symptoms.

Go back and do one step at a time if you have spark then move to the fuel system.

Can you hear the fuel pumps run for 1-2 seconds when you turn ignition switch to on no cranking? If they run check for fuel pressure on fuel rail.

89 Ski

dstop View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dstop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2013 at 10:30pm
Hi all.

An update,   I put the boat in the water this afternoon. It ran perfect.   Turns out that the problem was in fact the distributer coil.    The reason he couldn't detect it was that he had bought a new one and installed it, it didnt fix the oroblem. but that one was actually defective.    He had bought a scrap distributer from the junk yard to get the distributer gear, so for fun he tested the used one on my boat. It ran. Then upon closer inspection the new distributer coil had a defect in the connector receptical.    
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2013 at 11:51pm
Good that it got fixed.

Are the coils built into the distributor on the GT-40s?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2013 at 4:07am
Brian, "coil" is the the wrong description of this part making it somewhat confusing. The ignition coil is a separate part to the distributor on GT40 not like most HEI distributors.

This incorrectly named part "coil", is most often called the stator in the distributor because it remains stationary while the flags on internal distributor rotating disk trigger the sensor.

GT40 Stator (PIP sensor)

Referred to as pickup sensor or PIP in the GT40 manual. There are no points or electronics in GT40 distributor bar this sensor(stator). The PIP(stator) sensor combined with the TFI ignition module and coil is what generates the spark on GT40. The spark timing uses the ECM (computer) in conjuction with those parts.

Basically acts like a crank position sensor in the newer FI engines that do not use a distributor (individual coils). It is a Hall Effect sensor that uses flags on a rotor disc inside distributor, to break the sensor and indicate crank and piston positioning.

The problem with it is that you have to remove distributor and then disassemble (remove gear and shaft) to replace this part.

You can see the GT40 ignition coil left of the the TFI ignition module in this picture.

89 Ski

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2013 at 10:59am
Thanks Lewy, that makes sense now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic