NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brand new 1995 Nautique hull

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
Author
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

consider going electric. You might even get a grant to do it!

I was going to say this, but figured i'd be ridiculed, this is exactly what I'd do if i had this boat.

There's a company that makes the engine's(motor's and battery) located in Canada, I think you could also go through Correct Craft and get one as they are a supplier according to the website.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:02pm
It is not uncommon to have no registration numbers on the Great Lakes. My friends Formula is a USCG documented vessel and therefore requires no state registration and has no numbers or identifying information other than the HIN on the transom and a tag somewhere near the engines in the engine bay.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

consider going electric. You might even get a grant to do it!

I was going to say this, but figured i'd be ridiculed, this is exactly what I'd do if i had this boat.

There's a company that makes the engine's(motor's and battery) located in Canada, I think you could also go through Correct Craft and get one as they are a supplier according to the website.

Bust out the big boy wallet if you want an electric SN!
Electric Ski Nautique

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:13pm
In order to qualify for documentation, a vessel must be five or more net tons. That is not a weight, but rather a measure of volume of the vessel. Generally, and boat less than 25 feet in length won't qualify.
Art
"Art"
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Electric Ski Nautique[/QUOTE]

That' is why you apply for and get a grant!!!
upsman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 11:36pm
Art,

I looked under the platform, under the dash and could not find any HIN numbers. The boat is very solid like any other boat and seems built like any other Nautique of this time period. When I was looking under the dash I noticed none of the gauges are wired up. I will have finish that in time. The question is what are my options with this boat?

Derek
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 12:02am
Here's perhaps an exhaust for it.

Since the post may be gone soon, here's the text:
Quote Modified original equiptment Centek industries fiberglass muffler off of a 96 Nautique. Gives the boat a deeper louder sound like the pre 89 dual exhaust Nautiques. No other mods required to run this muffler. call Tony 833-1532
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 1:24am
In most cases confidential VINs or HINs are hidden in an area that requires the removal of a component of the vehicle. Are may have meant under the pod, not under the dash. An inspector from the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) would probably be happy to do an inspection. If the paperwork looks hunky when you apply for insurance you may get a free inspection anyway. They know all of the locations of the con VINs. I no longer have access.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 1:49am
Derek,

Odd that the gauges are not wired up. There's quite a bit of work in front of you on that front. What a fascinating find.

Sent you an email on the few parts I've found from my '93.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 11:15am

Electric Ski Nautique

I'd love to see a cost analysis on going electric vs your typical gas power plant.

I figure oil changes, winterizing, gasoline, engine maintenance adds up.

The fact that this boat literally has nothing, i feel the upfront cost could be made up overtime. You don't need exhaust, through hull pick ups, a gas tank, possibly no transmission either. It really really would be an interesting comparison.

We both know we're paying $5 a gallon at greers this summer.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 2:44pm
Boats with planing hulls are not good candidates for electric drive. They operate at high throttle settings, don't coast, have no regenerative capability like hybrid cars, and the batteries are heavier than equivalent fossil fuels. The electric Ski Nautique has the electric energy equivalent of 8 gallons of gasoline, or enough for about 30 minutes of skiing plus a bit of reserve for maneuvering. I am going to throw a wild guess of 50-80k more than an equivalent ICE powered boat. I don't want to sit at the pier for 3 hours every 30 minutes to recharge either. Compressed natural gas or LPG is a much better option IMO.
I like to think I'm green. I drive a very fuel efficient car and love alternative energy like solar wind and natural gas, but an ICE is very hard to beat for power to weight and the ability to utilize very energy dense liquid fuel. As I write this I hear the distant sound of a V8 powered boat out on the lake. It is hard to replace that sound with anything else.
Gasoline really is cheap fuel.

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 10:18am

Are may have meant under the pod, not under the dash

You are correct. I meant under the pod.
Art
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by upsman upsman wrote:

Art,

I looked under the platform, under the dash and could not find any HIN numbers. The boat is very solid like any other boat and seems built like any other Nautique of this time period. When I was looking under the dash I noticed none of the gauges are wired up. I will have finish that in time. The question is what are my options with this boat?

Derek

Is there a wiring harness that runs from the pod/dashboard through the
tunnel into the bilge to the engine? Any battery cables?
Art
"Art"
upsman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 10:38pm
Art,

No battery cables at all. There is a wiring harness curled up under the pod. Nothing into the bilge area. The interior and exterior wiring is installed. Looks like everything is there except the wiring that hooks up the gauges and plugs into the main harness.

Derek
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2013 at 9:22am
Derek.....Do you mean that the harness that is there is not connected to anything at either end? Does it have molded plugs on both ends, or does one end have a male plug with one female prong and the other end just ends of wires?

Before you get too deep into the wiring, we need to know exactly what engine you are going to put in it. If you end up with a current engine, you will have instrument and wiring issues to deal with. I guess the very first issue would be GM vs. Ford. I think I recall reading that you already have the aluminum engine bed. That will be built for one or the other brand of engine, but can be cut are re-welded for the other. Best is to find out what boat it came from. Some years there are differences from year to year, too.

Art
"Art"
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2013 at 9:13pm
Derek, here's a 1.23:1 transmission that should work with the boat...
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2013 at 12:25pm
Hey Derek, any updates on the progress? Did you end up getting the motor/tranny from the '96 being parted out?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
upsman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2013 at 11:28pm
Update,
I was able to get a OEM fuel tank and a GT40 with a trans from Kevin ( the gentleman parting out the 95 nautique). That worked out great. The rest of the parts I will buy new.
Derek
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 12:12am
This is going to be interesting Derek,please keep us informed on how it goes
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2013 at 10:24am
Derek,

Let me know when ya get ready for a PEF Plaque for the boat. I'll get it made and DONATE it to ya

E-mail me....

Marty Mabe
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
hansenindustries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hansenindustries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2013 at 12:32am
What a fantastic find!!! Hope the build is going well. I live in Arizona which is a registration only state. If I can be of any help in the documentation process let me know. AZ is pretty laid back on a lot of stuff like this.

1988 Ski Nautique 2001
2000 Super Air Nautique
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 2:27am
Sounds like about the same deal when we used to buy body in White mustangs back in the 90s to resell from Ford through Roush with no VIN. Some had partial interior, some more complete than others and some were just bodies.

Find yourself a good motor and trans, wiring harness and you have a nice boat. Maybe even a newer boat with structural damage or that flew off a trailer hit a rock or stump. There out there trust me. Look in rocky lake areas of the country or ones with trees. Call some PCM nautique dealers you might get lucky on a super low hour combo that some kid rammed into a bridge over July 4th after too much moonshine.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 4:51am
What an outstanding find!! I just saw this today for the first time and enjoyed the read very much. Any progress on this boat?
If it were mine, and I wish it were I would look for a donor boat, I have seen low hour Nautiques for 5,000 that unfortunately have sat outside for 18 years and are worth very little. I just searched for a year prior to buying our latest boat, a 95 in this exact color scheme.
I must have seen 3 or 4 with under 500 hours that were in horrible cosmetic shape. Hoping for updates to this find.
If you find a donor I would scrap it out (really cut it up and destroy it) and use everything from it needed for yours including the Hull numbers to make yours legal. Tell the DMV the old hull was damaged and you needed a new one, not a lot different than putting fenders and a hood on a wrecked car.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 9:01am
Yes!? What became of this project??
Js
upsman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 10:29am
The project has been on hold do to a lack of time. But I have had the GT40 rebuilt and sold my 90 sn a couple weeks ago. I hope to have some time to get back on it soon.

Derek
upsman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 10:57pm
I am in need of a dash wiring diagram for my 1995 SN. Pictures of the back side of someones dash would be great.
Thanks Derek
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 11:23pm
Logically, it's pretty similar to the 89 diagram in the reference section:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/downloads/1989_SN_Wiring_Diagram.pdf
It's just the layout that's difference. I'll see what else I can dig up.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 11:35pm
Are you completely wiring it from scratch?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2014 at 11:38pm
Not even remotely close to the '89 wiring. I can't take time within the next few days to search, but I feel sure that "somewhere" among my stuff I have the diagram. Can you post a photo of the pod/instruments?
"Art"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2014 at 12:02am
I'd argue that an 89 is more similar to a 95 than either is to a 2000 or newer.

But hey, I'll happily eat crow if it means getting to see some 90s dash wiring diagrams.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic