NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique 176

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Nautique 176
    Posted: April-24-2013 at 6:35pm
I'm just starting this thread for anyone that owns, or plans to own a SN 176.

These are links to all the pitfalls that I've encountered since buying my boat that you guys have helped me through. There is not s lot of 176 specific material on this site so I thought it would be a good idea to start this searchable thread.

At least you can see all the mistakes I've made along the way.

Anyone with 176 info please contribute!!!!

A lot of general info

State Tax

Steering Cable

Removing Old Manifolds

Installing New Manifolds

Prop Discussion

Trailer Rebuild

Carb Problems / Rebuild

Carb Problems / Rebuild Part II
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2013 at 9:51pm

Fits perfectly behind a 4WD Mule.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2013 at 11:23pm
Good lookin boat!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 12:30am
Those are pretty awesome boats that do most everything very well. Yours looks great!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 1:19am
Very nice boat. Thanks for posting the manifold stuff. I took mine off and replaced the manifold and riser gaskets the same time you did yours. I only broke off two riser bolts but I used the Acetone / ATF mixture and it worked great. That was quite a struggle you had with those. Like I always say, what doesn't kill you makes you a better mechanic. Good luck.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 3:02am
Thanks Brett and Wes!!!

You aren't kidding about those manifolds. I'd say I spent 2 solid months getting the old ones off and the new ones ready to mount. I just started the engine today for the first time since I had them off and everything ran smooth. It really has been a rewarding journey so far and there is much much more to come.

Steve is helping me with my sender problem tomorrow and after that the next step will be a lake with lots of photos.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 3:10am
Don't forget to put the plug in...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2013 at 9:33pm
Well I got to the lake today with the help of Steve K!!

After a winter of work I got my first ride in the Nautique today.

Once it was running, it ran very smooth. I need to do the stuffing box and that garbage rudder surely needs to go but it was a blast!!

Steve brought the GPS and we got it to 40.6 mph at 4200RPM WOT. I know the prop on this thing has to go and I'll be posting some questions on how to get it higher. For now, I'm just happy it goes.

This is how the swim platform turned out after it drank close to a bottle of oil.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2013 at 9:59pm
Looking good Chris,hope to meet you in July.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2013 at 11:09pm
Chris - hey thanks for letting me tag along today, glad I could help get out that first time. Been thinking about the motor, while I agree you need a new prop, I think we need to wake that motor up first. Even with the stock prop (especially with the stock prop), I think we should have been able to turn more rev's and I suspect a carb adjustment issue. Unfortunately though, as I said when we were out there,I got nothing on Carbs. Maybe Tim (TRBenj) or Joe (JoeInNY)can chime in. Not sure if its an adjustment, or if it just needs a tear down, cleaning and general rebuild. Anyone else have some any thoughts?
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2013 at 11:16pm
Great job Chris. The swim platform really came out nice.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 12:10pm
Thanks Gary and Jeff!

Steve I think your right about getting more from the engine. Once I get it to a place where it can be in the water for a while then I can start getting into it for sure.

Here's a short video from yesterday.

Test Run

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 12:13pm
Oh yea......I forgot to mention,

both speedos do nothing. No indications at all.

I know all the tubing is hooked up from when I took the fuel tank out.

Any ideas beside replacing all the tubing?

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 2:16pm
One more short clip of the boat going a little faster.

Vid 2

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 2:30pm
You will have to check the pickups Chris,they clog easy. You'll have to disconnect the tubing from them and if their clogged you can use a pin or very fine drill bit to clean them out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 9:55am
Thanks Gary. That's what I did today. I took a bit of safety wire to the pitot and dug out a lot of mud. I think the PO did things just to make me wonder. Both of them were packed solid with mud, the right side was disconnected behind the tank, and the left one was disconnected above the pickup.

Very strange.

C
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 10:13am
If it wasn't for Po's Chris,some of us wouldn't have the boats we do
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 10:53am
Chris - you should be able to check them now that they are all cleaned out. Have one of those crazy parachute guys "puff" on the pick up, it should cause a needle deflection on the speedos. Its a low pressure system, so no compressed air - HA!

Also I have some left over Collinite for you to try. I'll be back on Friday and can drop it at the hanger then. Any luck finding any threads on tuning carbs? Maybe that should be a new thread.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 11:57am
Good job dude!! I always have to use the drill bit method early on in the season from all the dirty water in the lakes/rivers. I take the tube off and blow down through the pickup with compressed air after the drill cleans the pickup.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 8:25pm
Chris - In addition to checking the carb (secondaries opening all the way), I recommend checking the amount of timing advance. You should be getting at least 28 degrees total advance at 4000 RPM.   I have mine set up for 32 degrees at 3000 RPM.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 8:59pm
Hey thanks gents. I have a huge task ahead of me with learning about carbs, timing, and props. For the time being I've only had it in the water one time and I'm trying to make arrangements to get the boat closer to my house. Right now I have to make a half day of getting it prepped, launched, recovered, and stored again. In a week and a half ill have it set up to go in the water in about 15 min whenever I want. Once I get to that point I plan to start into the engine performance.

I will be asking some really stupid questions once I start the project because my knowledge in those areas are a little weak. I also have some moderate to severe trailer problems that need attention. Right now my trailer is like a mid evil death blender of jagged metal, rusted screws, and rotted wood.

My goal is to have everything fairly complete and functional for Green Lake. Then I hope to find really smart people and chain them to the boat until it runs like a Swiss Watch.

Cheers!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 1:07pm
Got one of the speedos working. Need to look at the other one a little closer.

Got out for a bit the other day and took requested video of the wake at full power. It's a short clip but it gets the point across.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:27am
I could have sworn someone posted a thread yesterday about potentially selling a 176 and now I can't find it. Maybe he changed his mind?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 2:44pm
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2013 at 2:17pm
Well I finally got to use my boat for that which it was intended. I got up skiing this week and it preformed really well.

Awesome wake at 15-20 off. I also pulled my friend barefoot and he was pretty happy with the hole shot.

I didn't get any pics of me skiing and I have a GoPro coming next week for some shots of the back of the boat underway.

We also had a Barefoot 200 out for the day. Who says CC and MC can't get along?

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 1:19pm
It has been a while since I've updated this thread with current projects. Added new links and I'm working on a timing report with Zach's help.

Cheers!

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 10:57am
How's it coming along?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 4:18pm
I finally got a vacuum gauge yesterday and took her out to tune the carb.

The final result is as follows:

1. 32 advanced on the timing
2. ACME 422
3. 4600 rpm WOT
4. 43 mph on a non-official gps
5. Starts and idles at 600 rpm.

I don't think I can ask anything more of a 1040 hr engine.

I have been really really happy with this boat. I'll probably keep my eye out for something in a 196 in the next few years, but I'm in no hurry.

Thanks for the help with the timing Zach! It sounded much worse than it was. I owe you a few sodas!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 4:52pm
There she goes. There's the rpm you are looking for. I bet GPS will tell you faster.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2014 at 5:21pm
Great looking boat, looks much younger than 1,000 hours for sure.
Glad you got it dialed in and can have fun with it. I like the color scheme!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic