Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What years did the offer the 4 cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
Author
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What years did the offer the 4 cylinder
    Posted: March-05-2013 at 1:58am
I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been around the Correct Craft world for awhile, ever since I was a little kid. My father currently owns a Holman Moody Mustang, I am currently looking at purchasing a 4 cyl. Mustang and not sure of the year. I appreciate any help finding anything I can out about this boat shown below and thank you for any input.

Jonathan
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:18am
Welcome John. Looking at that one in Arizona eh? That engine was available long before the Mustang model was. I had one in an American Skier,same hull different deck. No speed demon but a fun boat. The Mustang's first year was 1965,no way to tell by looking at one to tell what year it is. You would have to contact the factory to find out for sure.If you have the serial post it if you could,should start with M for Mustang.Look above the banner at the top under reference- thats where the brochures are. Keep us informed,good luck
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:29am
Thank you for the response Gary. Yes I am, we have quite a few older Mustangs and Skylarks on the lake I grew up on, around 8 total and I have never seen one with a floor shiftier like that one before and would be looking to restore it (I know needs a lot of work). Just out of curiosity was it about a 28-32 mph boat ? I will work on getting that and will post it as soon as I find out.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:40am
Mine,a '64 had the same exact trans and shifter but had a foot throttle and a bench seat. As to speed I would think so I seem to remember running somewhere around 3400 rpms which would be around 34 ish. We left it in all summer so by the end of season the poor thing was quite slower due to the algae build up. The one thing that stands out to me other than the ones stated in the ad is that the bow light is been modified. Where are you located?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 3:12am
The foot throttle would have been cool to have in a 4 cyl. A friend that lives on the lake has a 66' Skylark with a foot throttle and column shifter in the same Sea Foam Green color and would love to have this one to add to the collection. Do you think the upper piece is suppose to also house the lighting fixture ? Like the one shown on the Skylark ? Living in Ohio right now but, all the water toys are in a town just south of Kalamazoo, MI.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 3:25am
Yes on the light John. Curious on how you plan to get it home,that could be a long ride!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 8:00am
Jonathan,
Welcome to CCfan. There's nothing I can add to what Gary has already stated. Good luck on the purchase and I hope you get it. The boat would be a great addition to both yourself and the CCfan group.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:58am
As far as getting it back Gary that's still some what up in the air. It's looking like I will be getting a one way airplane ticket and getting a rental vehicle too tow it back. The owner now said he would get new tires and check the bearings for me so I wouldn't have any problems in that area.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:59am
Thank you for the warm welcome 8122pbrainard
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

The Mustang's first year was 1965,no way to tell by looking at one to tell what year it is. You would have to contact the factory to find out for sure.

True... but we can narrow it down! The earlier deck would make the boat a 65-66, or possibly an early '67. My guess is '66 since the Mustang didnt make the '65 brochure (has anyone ever confirmed that Mustangs were built in '65?), and it doesnt have the later 3-spoke steering wheel that is more common on the '67's.

Careful on relying on a rental vehicle for towing... Ive inquired about this on a few occasions and every rental car company Ive checked with explicitly says they do not allow you to tow (Im guessing its in the fine print on your rental agreement as well). Sometimes they even block off or remove the hitch on vehicles that would otherwise be perfectly capable. It probably wont be wired for lights either. If you tow with it anyways (without permission) then you might be in trouble if you get in an accident. Something to think about! Renting a truck (uhaul, etc) would allow you to tow, but they usually charge by the mile... so that can get really expensive on a long haul. Bringing your own vehicle would allow you to bring along all the tools you'd probably want to have along *just in case* you have tire/bearing/spring/etc issues on your return trip with a nearly 50 year old trailer.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 12:09pm
I think they changed over to the scooped deck during 1966. Our is a 66 with a March build date and has the American Skier deck. The 66 brochure shows the scooped version.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 12:34pm

Cool looking boat, anyone else confused why it has a morse and a floor shifter?

Couple other odd things, the dash panel looks like it's from a 1966 or newer, but the hull top if definitely a pre 1965.

This sure is an odd one!

1964 mustang
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 1:08pm
Morse throttle and floor shifter could have easily been a factory configuration. That is not a Morse control on the gunnel (its throttle only). Ive seen the dash shifter used with the Morse throttle on several boats slightly newer. Its also possible that the boat originally had a foot throttle instead of the gunnel mount one.

Not sure what youre talking about on the deck or dash panel, TP. Bruce is probably right about the deck (66 or earlier) and that is the earlier style dash (used through 68).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Morse throttle and floor shifter could have easily been a factory configuration. That is not a Morse control on the gunnel (its throttle only). Ive seen the dash shifter used with the Morse throttle on several boats slightly newer. Its also possible that the boat originally had a foot throttle instead of the gunnel mount one.

Not sure what youre talking about on the deck or dash panel, TP. Bruce is probably right about the deck (66 or earlier) and that is the earlier style dash (used through 68).

Yeah, but that dash i believe was used from 66-68, the 65's look like they just had them placed in the dash and not on a panel.

and yes the deck is a 65 or earlier, it just doesn't add up date wise to me, unless I'm mistaken.

o and good points on the throttle.
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Yeah, but that dash i believe was used from 66-68, the 65's look like they just had them placed in the dash and not on a panel.

and yes the deck is a 65 or earlier, it just doesn't add up date wise to me, unless I'm mistaken.

Ive never seen a Mustang with the American Skier style dash (individual gauges in the dash instead of in a panel) that youre describing. I dont believe anyone has confirmed that Mustangs were actually made in '65. If '66 was in fact the first year of the Mustang, then I would agree on that panel being used '66-68.

Still not sure how you determined the deck is a '65 or earlier- fill us in on what you see. Looks like the deck used into '66 to me.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Ive never seen a Mustang with the American Skier style dash (individual gauges in the dash instead of in a panel) that youre describing. I dont believe anyone has confirmed that Mustangs were actually made in '65. If '66 was in fact the first year of the Mustang, then I would agree on that panel being used '66-68.

Still not sure how you determined the deck is a '65 or earlier- fill us in on what you see. Looks like the deck used into '66 to me.

The top front is flat with ribs, it looks like a starflite quite honestly. Also has a bear claw air scoop.

In the 1966 brochure they show the mustang raised with the air grills

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/1966_brochure/index.asp?page=05
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:07pm

The top front is flat with ribs, it looks like a starflite quite honestly. Also has a bear claw air scoop.

In the 1966 brochure they show the mustang raised with the air grills

*sigh*

Yes, we established that:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I think they changed over to the scooped deck during 1966. Our is a 66 with a March build date and has the American Skier deck. The 66 brochure shows the scooped version.

There were '66's with both deck styles made, it seems. There are some '67's in the diaries with the older deck too... but who knows if the years listed are accurate.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:23pm
Tim Dave posted production numbers back in 08,from 1965 to 1974. Cannot find the thread but I did keep a paper copy of the numbers,I'll post it up in a bit. In 1965 they built 279
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 2:36pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:30pm
TRBenj Thank you for the reply. I am still weighing out my options at this point with getting s vehicle arranged and also weighing out if this is a true original. I still need to call a few places about having it possibly delivered and the cost to see if it would be worth it. Renting by the mile would have to be out of the question, I might go broke at that point hauling it back.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2013 at 11:49pm
Thank you all for the information it is very informative in my decision and couldn't thank you enough. I ended up getting a few more pictures from the seller and will post them below. Still waiting on the VIN. A few questions I have was the back seat cut ? There usually an L shaped piece of fiberglass and all one piece, have never seen one like this before do you think it was cut ? I know I'll need to look for a new steering wheel but was this steering wheel only on 67' and older mustangs then ? Would this be worth investing time into ? I have personally never seen any 4 cyl Mustangs with a floor shifter and I used to go the Sea World reunion in Ohio and others a lot of the time when they had them. Thank you again for you input being a newbie.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 12:46am
Definitely don't toss the original wheel, but keep an eye on eBay for a better example. I've never seen a rear seat base like that but it looks like its based on an original if not 100% so. I doubt an early 4cyl mustang would be considered more valuable even if uncommon, but it's a cool boat in a cool color so go for it! I've yet to find a way to bring an old boat back from a long distance cheaper or easier than loading up the truck and going to get it myself... Just too may things that could go wrong on the trip back that makes having tools and supplies worthwhile.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 1:17am
Looks like my tank John,they are about 18 gallons. As to investing time,that would be up to you. You can't make money on them thats for sure but it could be a fun project. Back deck looks fine but I see some crazing on the dash,see if you can get some pic's of the sides to see how they are. Don't have any idea on the rear seat though,my current boat has wood,when I had the AM it was all glass.
Did you get him below the bid start price?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 1:19am
That's what I thought about the back seat but the owner says it looks like an original factory cut. Would there have been just a wood base then or do you think that it was option and you just sat on the floor ? Yea I sort of figured that, I know a lot of owners bought 4 cyl. and put 8's in them. I also noticed it's missing the rear decals but doesn't look like there isn't any holes, that was standard on all CC's right ? Very true on the hauling comment and might just have to bite the bullet just wondering if I'm crazy or not.

He sent me a video of the shifter. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4vZm1_rOy0) It looks like the shifter might have been added at a later date.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 1:36am
My AM did not have upholstery but you still sat on fiberglass seat bottoms,not a deal breaker though,Has he come down from his original start price? Shifter looks too cheap to be from the factory now that I see it close.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 1:52am
He has about $200. That's what I thought, the original was a Morse right ? I am just really wondering if it was supposed to have a foot pedal in it and someone retro fitted that one in. Which I'm not sure that's enough.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 2:39am
My guess because of the lever it now has that it most likely had a foot pedal but who knows. You most likely could find a replacement,my twin sticks had been replaced by a single lever Morse and I found some originals.I think the price is not bad,too bad it's far away. Whats the deal with your Dads Mustang? year color etc?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 3:38am
Still iffy on the whole thing trying to use U-ship now but we shall see how that works out. Dad's Mustang if in the process of being full restored.

Dad's skier, sorry for the bad picture or lack there of only one I could find.

Old boat before we sold (Orange and Black)

Dad's Holman that's in the process of getting rebuilt, then engine is done just needs to get put back together.

crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 3:40am
A friends Mustang that also lives on the lake the other Holman Moody.

Some more pictures of the Skylark.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 9:13am
Very nice! I'm sure glad to see you're keeping them original!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
  Share Topic