NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb stuff people say about boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumb stuff people say about boats
    Posted: February-12-2013 at 11:59am
Specialty boats are a lot like specialty cars, where nobody really knows much about them but still casts general knowledge and wisdom around, resulting in moronic comments. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain what a ski boat is and why it's different from a typical boat.

I thought it might be fun to get a thread going on the dumbest stuff you've heard people say regarding your inboard.

For us, the best one was when my wife was loading the boat onto the trailer at the ramp and a salty old know-it-all insisted she trim up the outdrive before I pulled the boat out of the water- multiple times. He couldn't believe there was no outdrive. Never mind the giant hump in the center of the boat.

Another classic is that of course, if I say I have a boat (never mind explaining two boats) to somebody who's not into ski boats they ALWAYS say "break out another thousand", "hole in the water you throw money into", etc. And, if they had PREVIOUSLY owned a boat (and it's always some stupid, generic I/O or outboard) they love trumpeting that "only two good days of boat ownership- day I bought it and the day I sold it". Ugh. I always try to say something like "a true inboard is pretty simple to work on and I've done all the work myself over the past 11 years of boat ownership". Sigh. I've had this conversation so many times.

What dumb boat comments have you weathered over the years?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:18pm
It used to be "you mean Chris Craft", but now it's "you mean Nautique".
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:22pm
Trim it up as we neared the sandbar, from an outboard/I/o owner.
We still tell each other all the time to trim it up.

Then of course there's the "if it's propped right it'll do XXmph", some grossly inflated number.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:31pm
My definition of "Ski Boat" seems different then most. A 19' Sea Ray I/O is not a ski boat!!

The automatic assumption if a boat has a tower it is a "Wakeboard Boat"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Even if it says AIR on the side, has an onboard ballast tank, and said tower has racks specifically designed for holding wakeboards?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Oh yeah, I am now "budds" with every wakeboarder on the river, 99% don't know it's a ski boat in drag.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:22pm
"I uploaded a video of a 78 Master Craft on my channel that would eat this thing for lunch"

That was a comment on Joe's holeshot video on Youtube. Also soem references to a "speed prop". Youtube is a great place to find really dumb comments, especially on some of the barefooting videos. Maybe in my spare time I will browse for some. I've got to agree with Bruce, back in the 60s - 70s we heard that Chris Craft line about a billion times regarding our Mustang.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:35pm
Generally I/O owners are the worst when it comes to making well informed boating comments. They are also the worst when it comes to boat ramp usage, general boat loading, and the ability to park a trailer where it is not in the way of other ramp users. They are usually floord by the fact that you can operate a boat that does not have trim in shallow water and that it only backs up in one direction. Most IO buyers only need one questionto be answered on a demo.. How fast does it go?

This will be a fun Thread haha.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:39pm
I saw one I/O owner on our lake pull their boat without raising their outdrive... and with the motor still running. So, it could be worse.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I saw one I/O owner on our lake pull their boat without raising their outdrive... and with the motor still running. So, it could be worse.

Similarly, I saw a guy back his I/O down the ramp. The boat tipped off the back of the trailer about 10 feet before reaching the water. He was unaware/unphased by that and kept backing, pushing the skeg of the lower unit down the ramp.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:19pm
Starting the engine at the dock... a lot of time it turns heads. A few ask to see the engine. After lifting the engine cover a normal response seems to be "Wow, how fast does this run?" I tell them 45 - 50mph. At which time they usually say.. Ohhh, is that all?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:19pm
"That thing has a 350/351 in it?! And it only does 45?!"
Or a guy I work with is bound and determined to buy a new Yamaha and that it is going to be the best boat on the water with the biggest wake because its jet drive. I have tried and tried to convince him my 89' correct craft is still a way better built boat then a new Yamaha and of course he doesn't believe
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Oletela Oletela wrote:

Jake, 11:19am ... same posting time.. same experiences!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by Oletela Oletela wrote:

Jake, 11:19am ... same posting time.. same experiences!

Great minds think alike!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:24pm
At the boat ramp, I put the Mustang in, no mufflers. Almost everytime, someone comes over, "Hey man, how fast does that boat go?" They don't understand a fixed drive shaft. You have to explain what a tow boat is built for pulling, not top end speed.
Tim D
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:29pm
Same story while I type on this crapy/slow computer at work.
Tim D
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 3:49pm
I love it when the tourists arrive at our ramp with their shiny big cars and new acquired big boats... Then need like half an hour with three persons to get it off the trailer...
Especially when I'm next in line and need about three minutes to get my boat in... Car and trailer already parked and boat running when they come back from parking their car...

Then the question I always wait for (with a big smile on my face) when they come up to me at the ramp: "does it really go that fast?"
"Yes sir for me it does"

Another one was at the bar when a smartass guy said to me: "Yeah, Nautiques are the best waterjet propelled boats!"

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 5:03pm
Me....."I own a Correct Craft".
Other guy....."Oh, is that wood"?
Me......"No, its a CORRECT CRAFT, not a Chris Craft". "It's fiberglass". "You ever heard of Ski Nautiques"?
Other guy....."Oh yeah"! Do those have the stars on the sides?
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 5:33pm
I showed a picture of my boat to an old cowboy at work and he said. "how come you have a "roll bar" on your boat"?
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
84SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 5:52pm
At the gas pump one day with my '84 2001 and I had the single fly High pole on and a lady came up to me and asked if it was a sail boat!
1999 Air Nautique W/ Python 502 "purple people eater"
1984 SN 2001 W/PCM 350
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 6:04pm
Have been asked the roll bar question also. At GL one year, was moored in town waiting on my crew adjacent to my boat, a couple people walked up discussing what the speakers on my tower were, they were arguing whether they were jet thrusters of some sort or rope retrievers.

There was a post on PN recently by an owner asking if he could remove the pole in front of the engine as he was not sure what it was for, lol.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 6:06pm
How's the fishing?
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 7:41pm
Yeah I get the typical "bust out another thousand", "hole in the water", and "two best days in a boat owners life" ALL THE TIME... Really drives me nuts.

On the flip side though, when joe blow decides to sell his boat that he didn't take care of and it doesn't work like it should, I was able to snag it for next to nothing and fix it up.

The best thing I ever heard from a boat owner: Friend of a friend bought a brand new Tahoe I/O a few years ago. Used it 10-15 times that summer and then parked it in his backyard in the same condition it was in when he pulled it out of the water. No plug pulled, no cover, no winterization, nothing... So when his boat was completely trashed come spring, he tried to sue Tahoe saying that their boat design was flawed because they didn't install an automatic bilge pump which in turn led to the flooding and destruction of his boats interior and engine.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

Yeah I get the typical "bust out another thousand", "hole in the water", and "two best days in a boat owners life" ALL THE TIME... Really drives me nuts.

I HATE those comments. That means you purchased a boat and were un educated and probably had no clue what you were doing. Can't do the work yourself. Screw stuff up. Etc.. Over 7 seasons I have mayyyyybe spent 500 bucks in parts including normal maintinance pieces.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 8:41pm
I have changed the cap rotor plugs and impeller once in 12 years, over 800 hours. Haven't touched either stuffing box either but I might tighten them up this year. Maybe.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 8:45pm
My wife hates it when she hears "B.O.A.T." (bust out another thou.) ... she knows another project is on its way home with me.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2013 at 9:31pm
"You paid how much…and it didn't come with a trollin' motor?"
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Toeboat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toeboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 12:16am
Barefoot...what's that next word?
Toeboat

89 BFN w/454 bought new and still love it.
06 Ski Nautique w/ZR6
72 Promo
95SIG/EDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 95SIG/EDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 1:18am
How about "yeah my (fill in the blank) has a fish and ski boat" or "Whats that thing got in it?" or while at the gas station filling up "Ya'll going fishin?" or   "Can you ski on one?" or "Can you barefoot ski?"
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 2:45am
Someone who came wakeboarding, afterwards asked: "why do you use this boat for wakeboarding?".
I frowned and said, not quite understanding his question "because it's mine?".
Him: "yes, but I mean, why this type of boat? Because Sea Doo's are the best wakeboard boats there are, right?".

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic