NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb stuff people say about boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Starting the engine at the dock... a lot of time it turns heads. A few ask to see the engine. After lifting the engine cover a normal response seems to be "Wow, how fast does this run?" I tell them 45 - 50mph. At which time they usually say.. Ohhh, is that all?

I get the same thing when telling people that the new Malibus have the 550hp Cadillac CTS engine in it. Especially at the NYC boat show with a bunch of long islanders who dont know whether the boat is a jetboat or inboard or what it is.

Joe Tough Guy-"Wow it must do 70!"

Me- "Not that fat pig"

I used to work the NY Boat Show every year when I was with E & B Marine, lotta fun.

Was held at the Coliseum (Columbus Circle) back then, which I beleive they tore down. Where is show held now????

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 10:35pm

The B.O.A.T thing pisses me off and usually indicates to me that I'm standing in front of an idiot... Or after you tell them it has a 351 Ford and they start asking how much gas it goes through... I usually just tell them It costs less to fill up even at these high gas prices than it does to take our family of 5 out to the movies... and a lot more fun!

The best was when I had my roof redone by a group of Amish guys. They used my garage as their lunch room, even brought a microwave to heat stuff up... So they are all standing around the boat admiring it and one of them asks what "that pole" in the center is for... and the "hump" I had to explain water skiing and show them the engine. I still don't think they got it.

Great topic!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 10:55pm
How about people not knowing the difference between and inboard and I/O.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 11:16pm
It's at the javitts center now. It's getting smaller. None of our brands did great this year. Our territory doesn't come to the show to buy boats. People come see us preshow usually.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Dennis, the very intoxicated pontoon boat fisherman, claims my stock 88 ski nautique buzzed him @80 mph last fall.

truth finally comes out, I knew you were a sandbagger
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 12:51am
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

It's at the javitts center now. It's getting smaller. None of our brands did great this year. Our territory doesn't come to the show to buy boats. People come see us preshow usually.

Yup, shows typically draw tirekickers for boats. Marine supplies another story, we ran wide open...cases and cases of gear & electronics; when the Sea Ranger Loran came out they were lined up down the aisle all show long....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 2:59am
We fortunately don't have too many cocky/arrogant people come through the marina, but the B.O.A.T. ribbing gets old, same goes for jokes about Bayliners. Also the "2 best days of owning a boat" joke as well. Explaining the difference between 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Watching people at the ramp used to be funny but now its just painful, for gods sake you dont need to have the trailer completely underwater to the point where your minivans exhaust is blowing bubbles, I try to offer advice but they usually just yeah yeah yeah you away. Okay not my junk.

I'm pretty easy going and I've heard a LOT of silly questions about boats but I guess youve got to learn somewhere, so I try to spare the sarcasm.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 3:13am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

How about people not knowing the difference between and inboard and I/O.

Uh huh. You can explain but they'll still claim theirs is an inboard too. Nevermind.
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:22pm
Well, their engine is inside the boat
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 1:09pm
So I was trying to explain to my friend about what type of boat I have. So after a bit of explaining, he says "Well since its that old, do you steer with a trolling motor?"
1972 Mustang
fb_rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fb_rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 12:45am
Originally posted by DeepCreekNauti DeepCreekNauti wrote:

"Permission to come ABOARD!" I really hate that.

and passengers who think it is helpful to pull in the ropes as soon as the skier goes down. I have had more ropes caught in the prop because the rope wasn't where I thought it was

How about the people that think it's helpful to throw the whole rope to the skier in the water instead of letting it feed out.   I think that might be worse!

I've owned Nautiques for 34 years so I've pretty much heard all of these
2004 Super Air Nautique Team Edition
1994 Ski Nautique (sold)
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 3:12am
I like to use the Anchor Buddy to keep my underwater gear from getting fouled in the sand. I've had several concerned beach dwellers shout: "hey buddy, your boat is floating away". I respond: ït's supposed to do that". They don't seem to get it and the inevitable question follows: "how will you retrieve the boat?"

I've also had several non inboard boaters tell me to just run the boat up on the beach...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 4:25pm
Last summer, I took an expert skier in my boat. Just before we left the house, I was asked if any of my skis had a double boot. I replied that most did. On the lake, the skier jumped in the water and then asked me to toss out the skis. I didn't pick up on the skis (plural) part. I indicated that the ski platform would be a lot easier than thrashing about in the water. Once the skier was on the ski platform I handed over my HO CDX ski -- the one with the double boots. The skier slid one foot into the front binding and then asked for the other ski. I looked puzzled and asked: "the other ski?"   Response: "why, yes. 2 skis, two boots".

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 6:09pm
Had to rush to get out of the way at the ramp one day as a Malibu owner came speeding in saying his boat was taking on water.......lol......yup no plug.
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 6:33pm
And one of the dumbest things I have heard:
"I'll just buy this old Mustang in descent shape, go through it, and get it back on the water in a year or so".
Said with the experience of doing several boats before and still not considering how you will fit the time it requires into your life.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

The B.O.A.T thing pisses me off and usually indicates to me that I'm standing in front of an idiot... Or after you tell them it has a 351 Ford and they start asking how much gas it goes through... I usually just tell them It costs less to fill up even at these high gas prices than it does to take our family of 5 out to the movies... and a lot more fun!

The best was when I had my roof redone by a group of Amish guys. They used my garage as their lunch room, even brought a microwave to heat stuff up... So they are all standing around the boat admiring it and one of them asks what "that pole" in the center is for... and the "hump" I had to explain water skiing and show them the engine. I still don't think they got it.

Great topic!
It sure is nice to see my future boat back on here in some comments...
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 2:18pm
Awesome thread, best part of my lunch break.
I can't think of any notable interaction myself, but keep 'em coming.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by LeftFieldEngineering LeftFieldEngineering wrote:

Awesome thread, best part of my lunch break.
I can't think of any notable interaction myself, but keep 'em coming.

I know, I've probably read through this thread multiple times.

There's another thread about when to throw someone overboard, but I can't find it whenever I look for it.
1972 Mustang
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 3:50pm
When asked, most of us can say, "Its got a cop engine", and still be fairly accurate.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 4:15pm
" let me get this straight.. you water ski, with no skis.. in bare feet.. at 40 miles an hour?" "Is that a redneck thing?"

Last week was the classic.. Is that your wife? You let her drive the boat? Me> Tell you what pal, my wife can wring more salt water out of her bra then you have seen your whole life!
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Have been asked the roll bar question also. At GL one year, was moored in town waiting on my crew adjacent to my boat, a couple people walked up discussing what the speakers on my tower were, they were arguing whether they were jet thrusters of some sort or rope retrievers.

There was a post on PN recently by an owner asking if he could remove the pole in front of the engine as he was not sure what it was for, lol.

I'm Assuming you had to turn down the radio to answer! :)
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 4:52pm
I use to get lots of odd stuff when I had the big boat.   

Had one guy ask if my Hatteras Convertible was a Carver?    thats like asking if your nautuque is a bayliner.

Others would be amazed when i told them it had around 1000 hp, they were dissapointed to know that 28 to 30kts was about it.   

The .1/2 to 3/4 mpg at 19 kts use to blow them away as well.   
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Russman Russman wrote:

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Have been asked the roll bar question also. At GL one year, was moored in town waiting on my crew adjacent to my boat, a couple people walked up discussing what the speakers on my tower were, they were arguing whether they were jet thrusters of some sort or rope retrievers.

There was a post on PN recently by an owner asking if he could remove the pole in front of the engine as he was not sure what it was for, lol.

I'm Assuming you had to turn down the radio to answer! :)

"Jet thrusters or automatic ski line retractors... no...no... no... no... way more impressive than that... these here are heavily amplified speakers so I can blast my music for the entire lake to hear while I pull tubers...."
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 6:27pm
People always always always ask me if I'm going fishing despite the gigantic Ski lettering on the side haha.   
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2016 at 6:37pm
Maybe you resemble Bill Dance or that other guy.    (kidding Zach)

I think my new dumb line this year, will be for the tower guys.
Is that a tuna tower ? - You know there's no tuna in this lake don't you ?

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 10:02am
Ha, bill dance is hilarious. Maybe it's because it's bass boat brown
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 10:41am
" Wow man that sure is a good looking boat for being 15 years old!" ......Thanks man but its actually 28 years old...... " Huh, what? .....that boat is 28 years old?..... what year is it?" ........pause a couple seconds ........."Ummmmm it's a 88' model"........" Wait, whut???? A 88 model?..... but it has 2001 on the side?"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

" Wow man that sure is a good looking boat for being 15 years old!" ......Thanks man but its actually 28 years old...... " Huh, what? .....that boat is 28 years old?..... what year is it?" ........pause a couple seconds ........."Ummmmm it's a 88' model"........" Wait, whut???? A 88 model?..... but it has 2001 on the side?"

I just tell people the 2001 means 20' 01" long to avoid further conversation. Works like a charm.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by DHart DHart wrote:

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I just tell people the 2001 means 20' 01" long to avoid further conversation. Works like a charm.

Good strategy Dave
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 3:27pm
Living in the country townships I get the same a lot of you have already chimed in on.

"Nice Fishing Boat!!!"

I have also heard the occasional lift the out-unit comment when launching.
I also get the "You let that Kid launch and retrieve?" My oldest boy, now 17 in June has been around ski boats his entire life and knows what he is doing.

I had to teach him early otherwise I would never be able to get wet. He was 7 when he started pulling me in my own boat. Otherwise, I would have never skied.
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic