Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb stuff people say about boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
hansenindustries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hansenindustries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 2:31pm
When explaining to a classmate that I was on crutches due to a wakeboarding incident where I came down from a double up wrong and tore my ACL, he asked "What kind of boat do you ride behind to get that kind of air? A sea-doo?" Even after trying to explain the difference he was unwavering in his understanding that a sea-doo boat was the best on the market....so I kicked him in the teeth...
1988 Ski Nautique 2001
2000 Super Air Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 4:13pm
Over the years I've had to introduce people used to driving "regular" boats to driving the Nautique in order for me to get a pull behind my own boat. It's very hard not to sound like a total a-hole when telling them all the things they need to know. Always a tough position, especially when it's a parent or in-law. I always stress that the boat can change direction VERY fast so a wrong move can kill someone easily.

Throttle response is a big one. On my Dad's fishing boat, you have to press the throttle down probably 90 degrees before the thing even starts moving. As you can imagine, when he gets into the inboard it's a very rough ride! We've had some full-throttle reverses out of the boat lift before, for sure. I can't tell you how many times I've been at the end of the rope, in the hole, and watched that stern DIVE down, indicating that whoever is driving that is not used to the throttle pretty much floored it! Pulling someone out of the hole smoothly, as well as ending the ride with both the skier and boat settling down at the same time next to each other are things that escape most of these people despite repeated reinforcement. Nothing like signaling I"m done with the ride, letting go of the rope and just seeing the boat continue for another quarter mile down the lake. Sigh.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 4:55pm
Joel, I hear ya on that...When we took friends out skiing, I would normally let the husband drive my (at the time ) Tique.

One time we took a couple out that didnt do a lot of skiing. This guys wife was small.. probably barely over 100 lbs. I told him to get the slack out of the rope and when she was ready, just nudge the throttle lightly. He said he was used to it. That his dad had a "fish and ski" boat. He slams about 3/4 throttle, out of the hole, literally pulled her out of the bindings. Not once but two or three times.

When it was his turn to ski, he got in the water and put both skis on. I told him..."Hold on"....
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 5:06pm
I remember my first pull behind an inboard. I couldn't believe how hard these tractors pull. My fingers were tingling for a day after my brother said "hang on" and shoved the handle all the way down.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

When it was his turn to ski, he got in the water and put both skis on. I told him..."Hold on"....

Awesome
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I remember my first pull behind an inboard.

Me too, it was when I bought my 77' back in 87'. It felt so different, like the first time skiing on a ski not made of wood, not sure you liked it but knew you would eventually love it!!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 7:16pm
Charles Atlas couldn't have held on to that rope, and he didn't give me a chance to return the favor.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 7:56pm
What's that pole sticking out the side of your boat?
This is the life
mrinboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrinboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 8:57pm
My wife hade some of her friends up this summer, and one of there husbands wanted to slalom ski. From what I was told he had 4 failed attempts on the last time he told my wife (who is one of the best inboard drivers I know) she was doing it wrong she just needs to nail it, So she did and he dislocated his shoulder
Dont Hate "ACCELERATE!"
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2013 at 12:41am
Years ago a friend bought a Baja (what a rocket). First time out we pull up to a crowded bar & he asks "where are the ropes?" I replied "They're called "lines" and you're supposed to bring your own". So...we proceed to tie up with a skirope to the amusement of the crowd. At the time I was a Bliss Marine manager. His girlfriend came in a few days later to buy him a "cool" birthday gift. I said "the only thing I will sell you is a set of 4 docklines". Not long after, she came in for another set. I ask "So...what happened to them??". She sheepishly replied, "we tied up, went in, came out later, and he must have untied them at the boat instead of the dock because they are gone..."

Later that summer went to a party in Westport (Long Island Sound) and beached it. The party was on the other side of the house and many hours later he got a firsthand introduction to the concept of "tides".

In yet another misadventure...you can't buy alcohol in Connecticut on Sundays, so we ran across to Long Island to buy some beer......

Been 25 years, lost touch with him, but a friend told me he now has a Cigarette-clone and runs it all around the Sound and the City. Hope he's got some lines............

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
randall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2013 at 11:15pm
Overall, I get good comments from strangers and friends.

The joy is in my full time I/O friends driving the boat and the shock on their face on how much muscle a 16ft boat can have. It just surprises people over and over every summer.

From time to time I run into REAL Correct Craft people...the conversations are always great.
1973 CC Mustang
Double D View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 1:06am
These have been said before but here is what I get:

"Hey, nice boat! What size engine?"
"Chevy 350, 275 HP.
"Wow, I bet it goes fast!"
"No, just 43 to 45 MPH. Its made for the pull."
"Oh, do a lot a fishing?"
"No..., not on this boat."

Now my Friend Story: He was only ever out on an old wood boat with a 25 hp outboard.
First time I took him on the boat. I told him it was like a large jet ski so hold on when I turn. He didn't and ended up on the other side of the boat, smashing his wife.
Then I take him tubing. Run him around real careful and he gets real confident. Feels so confident he said "I bet you cant knock me off...."
OK, I had him thrown in less than 6 seconds and one turn. He apologized...
I tend to do that with the people who get cocky...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 1:22am
One of my favorites came from my 6 year old grandson, Kaleb. He loves to go "catfishin'" with his dad. One of the times we took him out with us last summer he asked.. "Grandpa, can we go fishing"?

I have always told anyone that even hints at fishing in my inboard... "I dont allow worms in my boat"!

Kaleb's response. "What about dippin' bait"?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 1:22am
"Why do they call it a "tow" boat?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 11:15am
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

"Why do they call it a "tow" boat?

Because it's designed for pulling TOWables.... You can't call em tubes anymore because of the advanced technology in designing them.

Only things I've experienced in the 12 years that I've owned mine was......

" Hey Man, that sure is a nice looking boat there. What kind is it?"

" Uhhhhhhh, It's a Ski Nautique. There's a huge decal down the side of the boat."

"Oh, Yeah I guess so..... That thing looks good for a 2001 model!"

After I get done chuckling as this guy obviously knows nothing about Ski Boats and this conversation is taking place at a gas station close to the lake..

" Well, actually it's a 88 model."

"What,   you gotta be kiddin' me.....This is a 88? Then why does it have 2001 on the side?"

Needless to say I give the guy a quick education till the tank is full then I high tail it out of there.

Another one was from a Senior Citizen.....

"Hey, that sure is a nice boat you got there....what kind is it?"

"It's a Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001"

" Oh, You mean Chris Craft?"

" No sir, Correct Craft...they are made in Fla. It's a competition ski boat"

"Ohhhhh, Do you ever do any fishing out of it?"

"Uhhhhhhhh, No Sir, its primary purpose in life is to pull skiers."

"Oh I see, I thought maybe you used it for fishing. I see that huge cover in the middle and figured it was a live well in the center of the boat."

At this point it was all I could do from keep from laughing and embarassing the old man. I realize that he just doesn't know but it was still the darndest thing I ever heard......

"No sir; that's the engine cover. There is a 351 under there."

"Wow, a 351? you must get to your fishing spot in a hurry."

"Yes, sir I do.... It's a beatiful day to be on the lake, you have a great day!"

I got in the Durango and started laughing as I couldn't contain myself any longer. The girls asked... "Dad....what is so funny?"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 12:36pm
I always get a lot of crazy looks when the barefoot boom is on the boat and it is not in use. It did not happen to me, but someone on CCFAN, I think it was Swatkinz was telling me they were on a fresh water lake with the boom out and someone asked them what they were fishing for? They thought the boom was dragging a net. He told them he was trolling for shrimp and they believed him.

Donald
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 1:07pm
My friends are always busting on me about being anal with my boat.Their boats sit out uncovered all summer and it shows.When i bust on them for their boats looking like hell i get the same respose"its a boat.its meant to be wet!".
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 3:09pm

Starting the engine at the dock... a lot of time it turns heads. A few ask to see the engine. After lifting the engine cover a normal response seems to be "Wow, how fast does this run?" I tell them 45 - 50mph. At which time they usually say.. Ohhh, is that all?

Steve I got that alot.45-50 thats all... One day I had to run to the marina across the lake. This bass boat and myself decided to race. We where neck and neck and pulled away at the end.When I had tied up at the marina he had come over and said man what do you got in that thing.351 Ford I replied. He then made a comment,I did not know ski boats ran that fast,I thought they ran about 35mph... I then commented "this is a Correct Craft,they do!!"

1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 3:21pm
"Permission to come ABOARD!" I really hate that.

and passengers who think it is helpful to pull in the ropes as soon as the skier goes down. I have had more ropes caught in the prop because the rope wasn't where I thought it was.

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 4:55pm
[QUOTE=DeepCreekNauti] "Permission to come ABOARD!" I really hate that.

and passengers who think it is helpful to pull in the ropes as soon as the skier goes down. I have had more ropes caught in the prop because the rope wasn't where I thought it was.

[/QUOTE

I HATE it when people pull the lines in.

@Donald....my response to "what is the pole sticking out of the side of your boat." I tell them it's an outrigger and it allows for me to get a much better trolling spread. Some do seem to believe it.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2013 at 7:21pm
Yea, the boom is longer than the mast. Makes for an odd shaped sail.

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:18am
Silly Sheriffs that accuse you of going too fast in a No Wake Zone and not having a clue how an inboard ski boat works.

And then assuming that the big 2001 on the side of the boat is the year and not believing you when you tell him it's an '86.

Seriously, if you're going to be a water patrol, at least know that boats are different and are not all the same.

On that same page though, I was impressed by the Minocqua Wisconsin police when an officer let me pass him because he knew I could not go any slower than I was, and as such, was having to put in it neutral to prevent me from hitting him.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:25am
Hi Matt,
I remember some people bustin on you for your post about no wake a long time ago. You know I have seen you drive in no wake zones in front of my place, and there is nothing to complain about. I wish they all drove like you.
I hope you stop in for a refreshment next year. I should have a guest dock by then.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:28am
Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

My friends are always busting on me about being anal with my boat.Their boats sit out uncovered all summer and it shows.When i bust on them for their boats looking like hell i get the same respose"its a boat.its meant to be wet!".

I want to stab people when they say that a boat is meant to be wet. NOT MINE! And don't drink or eat in my boat either.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:34am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Hi Matt,
I remember some people bustin on you for your post about no wake a long time ago. You know I have seen you drive in no wake zones in front of my place, and there is nothing to complain about. I wish they all drove like you.
I hope you stop in for a refreshment next year. I should have a guest dock by then.

I'l be up for the 4th for sure, already have the time off. I'm hoping to take the first two weeks in July off, but we'll see.

Can't wait to get up there though...
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:34am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

I want to stab people when they say that a boat is meant to be wet. NOT MINE! And don't drink or eat in my boat either.

No eating or drinking? Sounds lik HW and Quinner will never get a ride then.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 1:38am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

And don't drink or eat in my boat either.

I can understand you banning my Cheetos, but a guy has to hydrate!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 7:34pm

Starting the engine at the dock... a lot of time it turns heads. A few ask to see the engine. After lifting the engine cover a normal response seems to be "Wow, how fast does this run?" I tell them 45 - 50mph. At which time they usually say.. Ohhh, is that all?

I get the same thing when telling people that the new Malibus have the 550hp Cadillac CTS engine in it. Especially at the NYC boat show with a bunch of long islanders who dont know whether the boat is a jetboat or inboard or what it is.

Joe Tough Guy-"Wow it must do 70!"

Me- "Not that fat pig"
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 7:48pm
Dennis, the very intoxicated pontoon boat fisherman, claims my stock 88 ski nautique buzzed him @80 mph last fall.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2013 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Dennis, the very intoxicated pontoon boat fisherman, claims my stock 88 ski nautique buzzed him @80 mph last fall.

your new boat might buzz him at 120!!
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic