Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakeboard Tower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
drpookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote drpookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wakeboard Tower
    Posted: February-02-2013 at 9:14pm
Hi guys,
I came across a great deal on a Monster Wakeboard tower and bought it. I am having mixed emotions on drilling through the gelcoat on the old girl.
For those that have done it, do you regret it, or are you happy with it? For those considering it, what are your pros/cons? Thanks, I am really having a tough time with this decision lol.
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2013 at 10:15pm
I personally don't like the monsters, but I think it will be out of character on either of your boats...I love the functionality, and my opinion has nothing to do with the 'keep it original' mindset, I just don't think it will fit with the lines of yours, especially the tique. Plus the first one I skied behind was installed poorly so we had to tighten it after each run.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2013 at 10:40pm
Jeff:

I assume you're putting this on the barefoot? I can understand your reservations. The barefoot is beautiful!

I think many folks who say not to put a tower on a boat either have many boats or don't use it for the intended purpose. I had a 1992 Nautique Excel that I loved and it was our only boat. We were learning to wakeboard and while we loved the wake of the Excel, we really wanted a tower on it. We put an early Titan tower on it. While I thought it looked good and did the job for us, it certainly made the boat look different.

We sold that boat for our Air and use the Air to do everything. I've missed that Excel ever since we sold it... I have spent the time since then tracking down the barefoot that we have now. This time I can honestly say that I would never put a tower on this boat and it's the same boat! I think it would ruin its looks. A fellow that rebuilt his boat to the level that you have is probably feeling the same way.

If you want a look into the future look at this link: Monster Tower on BFN

Form vs. Function....What's the priority? Your boat has awesome lines, but does it function for the family? There's only one thing to do - get a second Correct Craft with a tower! Does that help?
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2013 at 10:44pm
BTW - If this is for the Tique - wow! I sure wouldn't..... you are going to get a good roll on the Tique from the tower - Yikes! That would be radical.......
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 3:37am
I don't have either of your boats but I didn't have any reservations drilling my boat. Function over form was my priority. You can always fill the holes as if they were never there if you have some skill.

Remember to put masking tape down all around the 4 mounting areas. Then put the tower on the boat, step back, decide if you like it on your boat, if you like where it's located, and finally mark each foot when you're happy. Then pull the tower off and drill it up...just go slow or in reverse until you get through the gelcoat so it doesn't chip.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 10:18am

If it was mine.

That Barefoot is way to nice for a tower.
It's yours though.

If it was mine.

I'd try a fly high pole FIRST
Cheap and no regrets if it's not what you want.
Then MAYBE think about a tower but not a monster.
A tower should inhance the look not be an eye sore.

If it was mine.

I would never put a pole or tower on a Tique
the boat WILL roll from side to side.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 11:14am
I totally agree with Andy ^^ regarding the BFN. On the Tique, I have to go with a big NO for a tower.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 11:42am
towers are great...i'm not a big fan of the Monster towers though...i think they look odd on a classic CC. if you really want a tower and don't mind spending some cash, the new dimensions towers or a custom tower with similar shape look the best on these boats...then again, monster tower may be better than no tower at all haha. i mainly wakeboard so i wouldn't consider not having a tower. the improved pull + the ability to put boards on racks far outweigh any negatives related to appearance or having to drill some holes.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 2:14pm
I for one have never regretted putting a tower one mine for a second.
But... I looked at different towers and didn't want to put one on that looked too heavy on it or did not follow the curve of my windshield (or the overall lines of the boat for that matter.
i'm not a big fan of the monster towers either, but it's your boat and it's your use of it that matters. That is, if you want to put it on the BFN.
Regarding the Tique, I'm with my predecssors here...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2013 at 3:48pm
Towers sure add great function: higher pull point, back seat usable while towing, bimini mount, board/ski rack/storage, stern light mount among the most signifigant. Monster is my least favorite of all the towers out there and would not put that on any CC boat. The high pole provides a few of those benifits while not being permanent.

Nice BFN, it it was me I would only add a tower that enhanced the look like a new dimension and only if I could not live with the extended pylon option.

BTW, a tower (4 point mtd) makes most covers a PITA to put on.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2013 at 3:54pm
good point about the cover...add about $200 to get the cover modified to fit around the tower...or $6-$700 for a new sunbrella cover.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
drpookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 7:06pm
Guys thanks so much for the replys! Apologize for the delay, I was unexpectedly called away by the Air Force.
After reading your replies and careful consideration, I am going to hold off for now. The pic of the BFN w the Monster really made me think twice, as did your opinions. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 8:04pm
Another BFN Saved! I love happy endings!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Kiteboarder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 8:34pm
I just ordered a tower from H2O sports warehouse a few days ago, does anyone know about this company. I haven't got much feedback from them since I ordered my "Aerial Ascent" tower a few days ago.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

I love happy endings!

The best part of a good massage!!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 1:38pm
Quinner I hear you are quite the happy ending connoisseur.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 3:10pm
The worst looking tower on a CC is a Monster tower. IMO
They dont follow the lines very well and are rickety and rattle noise and wiggle alot.
New Dimension is the way to go. imo
1997 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Quinner I hear you are quite the happy ending connoisseur.

Funny way to spell "giver".
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2013 at 5:51pm
Hahaha.
hansenindustries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hansenindustries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:39pm
I cut down a FCT2 tower from an 04 and re-sized it to fit my 88. My opinion...it is the only tower that looks good on any Nautique. I also don't favor the lines of a monster tower. The FCT2 is mounted solid with 1/2 in aluminum plates on the bottom, and has never given any issues. The boat is a shallow hull and does pull a little side to side but has never been a serious problem.

I was nervous the day I drilled through my gel...but the functionality of board racks is worth it. All those boards out of that little interior is nice.
1988 Ski Nautique 2001
2000 Super Air Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hansenindustries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2013 at 5:41pm
I do agree with Joe...New dimensions is the way to go...we just got a killer deal on our FCT2
1988 Ski Nautique 2001
2000 Super Air Nautique
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 12:41am
drpookie - I was in your situation last year at this time. I looked at a Monster tower and didn't like its shape. I also looked at a New Dimensions tower but didn't want to spend that much. I stumbled across xmpinc.com and ended up going with their tower which seems to be solid. I've only taken 5-6 pulls from it but so far I am very happy. Just another option if you start considering installing a tower again...      
1992 Nautique Excel
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by hansenindustries hansenindustries wrote:

I do agree with Joe...New dimensions is the way to go...we just got a killer deal on our FCT2

How much was the killer deal if you do not mind me asking? I would love to swap from a FCT1 to a FCT2.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

How much was the killer deal if you do not mind me asking? I would love to swap from a FCT1 to a FCT2.

Wasn't it three nights and a few romantic dinners with Bobby in the local county prison?

AKA - he stole the damn thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hansenindustries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 9:26pm
Her name was Heath and she smelled nice Chris!

I found it sitting behind the shop of a local dealer and asked if i could take it off their hands. The owner didnt even remember that it was back there and i gave him $400 bucks for it.

When i was doing the stringers on my boat 2 years ago a buddy of mine stopped by and saw the brushed aluminum tower laying in the corner and asked if i was going to paint it or something to match the boat...being toward the end of the stringer project and the end of my credit limit on my credit card i told him i'd love to but couldnt really afford it. He works at a large garage door manufacturer her in Phoenix and said he'd could get his night guys to powdercoat it for just the cost of the powder. I responded with "ok, how much is the cost of the powder?" To which he responded "8 cents a pound and i'll bet it only takes 3 pounds to get it done."

I gave him a twenty and had him buy his whole night crew pizza and got a perfectly color matched powder coated tower!!!!
1988 Ski Nautique 2001
2000 Super Air Nautique
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 11:25am
Originally posted by hansenindustries hansenindustries wrote:

I cut down a FCT2 tower from an 04 and re-sized it to fit my 88. My opinion...it is the only tower that looks good on any Nautique. I also don't favor the lines of a monster tower. The FCT2 is mounted solid with 1/2 in aluminum plates on the bottom, and has never given any issues. The boat is a shallow hull and does pull a little side to side but has never been a serious problem.

I was nervous the day I drilled through my gel...but the functionality of board racks is worth it. All those boards out of that little interior is nice.

Plus 1 !! The Oem style towers do look ok on the older boats. My last Ski which was a 86 had a Big Air Tower on it when I bought it and that was the first thing to come off and sold it on craigslist for $500. Now on the other hand if would have had a FCT installed on it that would be another story : )
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic