NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:58pm
That's a Hyphen.    I think they dropped the hyphen right after they took that photo.
I've never seen a Hyphenated '73

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 2:58pm
The 1973 looks wavy again, but i swear the 1975 N looks straighter.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

That's a Hyphen.    I think they dropped the hyphen right after they took that photo.
I've never seen a Hyphenated '73

Sorry, the hyphen looked like a dash to me.

Theres one hyphenated '73 in the diaries.

TP, I think youre losing it!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:36pm
Sorry Tim, To Pete, my dash looks like a helm.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:47pm
Never noticed, the speedo's do look black .. We need dash pics please!

.....errrrr, Helm pics please..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 3:57pm
and more pics of the engine...white accents
This is the life
GrayBeardSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 7:17pm
I was able to connect with Jerry (boat owner since 1981) and get some answers. Firstly, I had the timeline wrong. The first owner as Art Rodriguez who owner the boat for 6 years before selling it to Jerry Malone. Jerry says the last he heard was that Art was still skiing competitively and he's over 75 years old!

On the stars and stripes lettering, it was NOT added post delivery from Correct Craft. The flames on air vents were also there on original delivery of the boat. Jerry confirms the story that this boat was 1 of 2 that received this special lettering. The stripes going lengthwise on boat did get painted over as they were faded. The log entry in owners manual says this painting was done in '78. The stripes visually support this as they look like they have a base layer that has a coat of paint on top of it. They look a bit faded now but a coat of wax shines them up.

On the trailer, Jerry says it's home built and that Art built it. There's a striking similarity to the pictures posted above so I'm guessing the design was copied from a factory trailer. I can say it's perfectly balanced as I can easily move the boat around the garage and yard by myself. It tows and launches great which is why I'm guessing the design/construction was copied.

Here's a picture of the helm/dash:

All the gauges work great. The speedos work great as well. The white stickers (below speedos, either side of tach) contain tables of slalom speeds at various rope lengths. I'm guessing these were added when the boat was used as a tournament tow boat in the Santa Clara Ski Club days. Jerry said the carpet on dash and engine cover were original treatments as well. I don't have a picture handy but there's what looks like a cotton towel with a slalom skier on it that hangs across the boat in front of drivers foot area (so under the dash). It acts as a curtain covering the opening into the bow.

I don't have any close-up pictures of the engine. I'll need to take those. The entire engine is painted white.

Well there's some updates. I'll post more information when I get it. I'm going to try to contact Art and see if he has pictures from when the boat was new.
Joel Heinke
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 8:17pm
OK, well...in my best Huell Howser imitation: That's Amazing!

really it is, can't wait to find out more

This is the life
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 1:03am
Here, you can compare the graphics. The S drops too much, the N is too thick, the q has a point on top and is too long, the dots are round etc. The cross member parts on the trailers were bent, not cut and welded.

Tim D
GrayBeardSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 3:18am
Well I was able to make some great progress tonight in getting more firsthand information and even some photo evidence to support the story. Wonder of all wonders, Art (original 1st owner) still has the same phone number as Jerry had written down in his address book many, many years ago. It turns out Art is a great guy and agreed to take a phone call with me tonight. He was even able to quickly locate some photos, was kind enough to snap some pictures of them, and email them to me.

Art confirmed:
1.     Stars and stripes Ski Nautique lettering is exactly how the boat was delivered from the factory
2.     Painted flames around air vents are from factory
3.     Interior treatments (carpet on dash and engine cover) are from factory
4.     Trailer is home built and he (along with a friend) built it. He did say the design was copied from a factory trailer, thus the resemblance. I asked him if he could have purchased a trailer with the boat and he said yes, but he elected to build one himself.
5.     The boat was used as a tournament tow boat for Santa Clara Ski Club while he owned it

So the only aftermarket alteration on the boat is the replacement of the ladder with a swim platform.   The photos do prove the boat originally came with a ladder.

So here’s the photos of Art's photo album.

Trailer with primer paint on it.

Trailer being finished by Art.

Boat being launched in Sept 1975.

Art piloting the boat.

The amazing thing is that the boat and trailer look exactly the same today (except for swim deck).   

The best I can tell is that the Correct Craft factory did in fact build a boat with unique features and these features weren’t exact variations (i.e. letters are similar font but different size) of standard factory boat features. If the story is correct, the factory built two boats with these unique features and there was another one out there on the east coast at one point in time.

So I’ll raise the question from the start of this thread again. Has anyone seen a boat with these features somewhere else besides N. Calif? The story about this boat has now been confirmed by its original owner and pictures support the story. Sightings of a boat sharing these features located somewhere in the Eastern US would confirm the whole story.
Joel Heinke
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:23am
Looks like he is launching it at the ponds by Coyote Creek which is where the ski club was located.

Wow, looks like it did come from the factory that way. This is a really cool story and a really cool boat.
This is the life
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:45am
That documentation of the history is priceless. Very cool boat.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 7:36am
That is an awesome story and a cool boat. It may also confirm Correct Craft did do few unusual things to give the customer what it wanted.    My old Marauder has a few items that were not standard (floor and side carpet). Maybe some of the quirks were for real. Great history on your boat and thanks for sharing it.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 10:19am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Also the blue stripe is faded and lighter than the blue in the lettering. I'm guessing that the "Ski Nautique" has been replaced somewhere along the line.

Anyone got any salt?    

Those photos are soooo cool!

Sure makes the question of my 73 coming from the factory with the red metallic steering wheel more believable.

Great story!!!!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 2:52pm
The old photo does show white-faced Airguides and the original barrel-bucket type drivers seat.
I'm still on-the-fence about the factory origin of the side lettering.
Could have been easily done by or for the ski club when the boat was new.

If the other Art (Art Cozier) confirms, then I guess I'll be having a nice hot dish of crow along with some of Steve's salt.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 2:57pm
30 years from now skeptics will be saying 2009 Nautiques were not delivered with white boot stripes or a racing stripe or with Mr. Ralphs name gelled into the transom or CorrectCraftFan embroidered in the vinyl.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 3:26pm
The factory build pictures should be decent proof, Larry.

Im with Al on this one... the more I see and hear, the more skeptical I become. Add the windshield color change to the list as well.

We've been wrong before though!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The observers seat appears to be the factory heat stamped pattern, and I cant remember seeing another interior like it in white before.

A little late and low on the order of importance, but we have a boat club member with an original white, heat stamped interior.

Tim, you've seen the boat before but I lost the pics with my old phone. '79 - Dark blue hull white deck. I'll snap some pics of the interior in the spring
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 3:42pm
Well, with a testimonial from the original owner should be enough. If he said "I ordered it that way" or such, how can you not believe him. If he's saying the boat came from the factory that way, well maybe he got it as a "demo" and it had already seen some water time before the factory got it back..

I still am not completely convinced either. Most companies who have created a company logo or trademark don't normally go off and change it for obvious reasons. They go to great lengths protecting these copyrights as well. And in the history of CC, have you ever seen another graphics using "flames",,,, ever? It doesn't at all go with the stars and stripes theme.... Only 2 boats ever in 1975 got a flame job? This just seems way to off the grid for them.. But then again that Body Glove edition in the mid 90's was far from the norm..

Let the build sheet search begin...

Moj'

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:19pm
And the Tach change.
4 additional step pads shows that the ski club did do some mods, why not add some carpet.

IF it is true, I would be curious if there is any meaning to the 18 stars.

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:25pm

IF it is true, I would be curious if there is any meaning to the 18 stars.

The shipment of white Rustoleum #3 didn't come in till the next Tuesday !!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:31pm
2 of my boats have been examples of 1 off or custom build jobs. The 80' Ski Nautique had an interior I have never seen in another 80', the original owner (whom we purchased from) claimed he special ordered it with a "Martinique Interior". The Paragon was a true 1 off, Ken Meloon gave me the history of that boat personally, being he specified all the extra's that were done to that exact boat and no other Paragon, including the Wineberry Color, all the chrome and motor bling, the gold accenting, etc. We were the original owners so can say with certainty it came from CC that way however never realized how custom it was until my conversation with Ken many years later.
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:52pm
Shouldn't be too hard to believe, Correct Craft just built a one of a kind boat for CCF a few years ago.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by martin 74 martin 74 wrote:

Shouldn't be too hard to believe, Correct Craft just built a one of a kind boat for CCF a few years ago.

dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 5:00pm
This is a great story. The boat reminds me of my old stars and stripes Schwinn Sting Ray. The idea of a 1 (or 2) off seems consistent with what I've read CC was willing to do to sell a boat. Whether it came from the factory that way or not it is still very cool to see the 1975 photos and current photos, especially the obvious pride on the owner's face.
I pick up the changes to the windshield frame and drivers seat but the airguides look black to me in that old photo.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 5:05pm
To me, it would be more believable IF they had used the exact same stensil as all the other small letter boats and included the circle (R)

This is however making me wonder more about the Gold Metal-Flake '75.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 5:10pm

This is however making me wonder more about the Gold Metal-Flake '75.

Al, kinda funny, this thread got me thinking about that boat also... I went back and looked. It is still listed in the diaries for sale
74 metallic

D ick Samoila,,sam57, went and looked at this boat.. said it was definitely showing her age. Still interesting tho...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Here, you can compare the graphics. The S drops too much, the N is too thick, the q has a point on top and is too long, the dots are round etc. The cross member parts on the trailers were bent, not cut and welded.

From a graphic designers point-of-view, this is exactly what I would have done, used a bolder font with closer spacing so that the flag image inside would look more connected. The logo below is too thin and spread out. Being these were the days before it was all designed on computers and plotted out, and it was a 2-off, close enough would have been fine. The registration mark is probably missing because it isn't an official, registered logo.

From the amount of inconsistency with CC spoken about on this site, it's not hard to believe they would have been lax on some of their branding.

Then again.... Now I could open up the logo on the computer, bold it up a bit and change the spacing. Back then they would probably had to do it all by hand. Which kind of makes it hard to believe they would have gone through that much trouble.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 6:30pm
Check my diaries posting from clicking on my avatar pic if you want another example of a "one-off". How many boats in '97 had docking lights? Woody told me that it originally had a Roush Racing GT40 in it, but 2 owners before me blew the motor up in it and it got replaced with the standard GT40 that is in it now. My '87 BFN is technically a special order as well and I do have documentary proof of it. I don't discount the OP's story one bit. It makes it even more believable that the factory would do special request orders back then when build quantities were lower.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 6:56pm
You guy's are drinking too much of that beer again Correct Craft NEVER does anything just once.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic