NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 Windsor weight, how much?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 Windsor weight, how much?
    Posted: December-31-2012 at 10:47pm
I'm going to be lazy and buy an electric lift for pulling the motor. I've got a few other uses for it afterwards, but none are all that heavy. Anybody know what it weighs with everything on it?   I've heard about 550 dressed, the marine exhaust would add some and I figure a couple hundred for the tranny and the Vdrive. Does750 sound about right?   I'm thinking a 1000lb lift out to do it, but if I'm getting close I can add a pully double the cable, just like to know before I build my A frame and purchase the lift.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2012 at 11:05pm
Don I have a Holman Moody book here that lists a carbed 351 complete with direct drive trans, manifolds,starter etc at 771 lbs
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2013 at 1:59am
Cool, I can't seem to find anyone searching online who can come up with more than a guess and they are all over the place.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2013 at 2:26am
You'll be fine with 1000lbs to lift the engine and tranny. My Borg 1:1 tranny weighs under 100lbs. I think the manual says 90lbs but that's going on memory. Before pulling my engine, I found that a dry assembled 351w was around 500-550lbs online as well but it didn't specify if it had cast or aluminum heads and intake manifold. The exhaust manifolds are roughly 40-50lbs each. I don't know much about V-drive assemblies though. So best guess is 550 engine, 100 exhaust, and 100 tranny for 750lbs. Call it 800-900lbs to be on the safe side with v-drive and you're still fine.

Drain all the water out of the engine and exhaust before you hoist it though... If not for weight, at least for cleanliness. I used and automotive engine hoist without any problems on the 1/2 ton position and I never felt like the hoist was in danger of tipping. I recommend pulling the engine cover off completely too. Mine got in the way massively when I wanted to pull the boat out from underneath the hanging engine.

gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2013 at 12:34pm
Waternut, I notice your platform is mounted pretty high up, as you have a tower I'm guessing this is because you add a lot of ballast to get a good wake (or have wet foam!!).
Did you have to fill the original bracket holes in the transom and drill new ones?
The reason I ask is I've had to do a lot of glass work to my transom so will need to drill new holes, as I will be using the boat for wakeboarding am wondering whether to mount the platform higher than original position..
'82 Ski Tique
E4ODnut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E4ODnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2013 at 2:39pm
My copy of the Ford publication WSG-858M lists the weight of the base engine at 569 lbs. Add to that manifolds, starter, alternator and gear and you are right around what the previous poster's have stated. Gary's engine on the hook confirms it. Add to that whatever safety factor you are comfortable with.
Robert
1993 Bayliner 3288 "Hocus Pocus"
351 Fords, converted to tuned port programmable EFI
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

Waternut, I notice your platform is mounted pretty high up, as you have a tower I'm guessing this is because you add a lot of ballast to get a good wake (or have wet foam!!).
Did you have to fill the original bracket holes in the transom and drill new ones?
The reason I ask is I've had to do a lot of glass work to my transom so will need to drill new holes, as I will be using the boat for wakeboarding am wondering whether to mount the platform higher than original position..

Sorry for the late reply. Actually my swim platform is located in the standard position. It probably looks high because of the paint job that I put on the boat. When it's just me in the boat, the platform is a little out of the water when it's calm. Add a few people and 500lbs of ballast and the platform is slightly underwater when sitting still.

I don't see any reason to change the location. I don't really care that the platform is underwater when I'm sitting still since it comes out of the water as soon as I plane off. Even if I wakesurf, the platform is still out of the water. Just make sure it's level when you reinstall it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 1:19pm
It's not a Correct Craft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 4:44pm
OK, hopefully I'm about 2 hrs or so from lifting the motor. Question is; I've noticed some people pull it with the mounts attached but I've always done it without, is there any reason for one way or another?
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 5:56pm
I've heard some people claim that it's easier to realign the engine if the mounts stay attached but I don't really buy it. If you're going to rebuild, that's irrelevant anyway because the mounts have to come off.

If I had to do it again, I would pull the mounts with my engine. Unbolting the transmission from the mount was a gigantic PITA! In addition, I actually ripped one of my mounts out of the hull because the engine was lifted slightly cocked and I didn't realize it was binding. I think locating the engine on the mount studs may be pretty difficult too so I plan to pull my mounts before reinstalling the engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 6:09pm
Sounds like a good idea, since it's not a stringer job I shouldn't have a problem locating it back where it came from on the cradle. I always wondered if people who were pulling them with the mounts were just trying to get away with skipping the alignment.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I always wondered if people who were pulling them with the mounts were just trying to get away with skipping the alignment.

There are some that may try to skip the alignment but I sure wouldn't recommend it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2013 at 11:18am
Apparently it weighs somewhere over 1000lbs dressed with the Vdrive on it, the winch got it free but went into protect mode pretty quick. I set it back down, added a pulley and changed up the rigging so I had a chain loop on the front of the heads and another on the rear. Went right up, but the Vdrive was heavy enough to make it stand on it's end. With 2 people it may have been possible to lift it over the transom, but I didn't have that option so the Vdrive came out in the boat. Things went pretty smooth after that, no stuck bolts, the tranny slid right off. I'll start another thread on what I've found so far, looks expensive.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2013 at 2:07pm
OK, just about ready to start putting things back together, waiting for the UPS guy to bring the last few things Friday. The bell housing, tranny and the Vdrive all have machined surfaces to mount them together, but hold no oil in that space, should I use some RTV and make a gasket there?   SKIDIM has a paper gasket for the transmission and bellhousing but I don't see anything for the others.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic