NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ole Raunchy

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ole Raunchy
    Posted: October-23-2012 at 11:34pm
This boat purchase started out at the CT mini when I was talking with Reid about my jealousy of Chris Mars and his 1972 Promo boat purchase. I really love the orange on orange look and Reid mentioned he had a skier that fit my desires. A 302 Homan Moody happened to be powering the boat which made it that much more appealing. I told him there that I would love to purchase the boat if it had not been spoken for yet.

So Tim and I made our way down to the reunion in NC and brought back Ole Raunchy. The boat made it safely back to
NJ. This makes CC #4 at the old Malibu dealership, taking over! Rauchy has had two voyages out on Lake Hopatcong.

The first one went well. Figured out the alternator was not working. Semi fixed that by using the questionable alternator off of my 289 out of the 68 mustang. Also replaced the shaft packing so we wouldn't sink.

Second trip went well on the way there but on the way home the impeller decided to give out. Which other than having to get towed in by a coworker who was out to dinner with us in a different boat. The seal on the backside of the pump was leaking anyway so it just expedited the process of rebuilding the pump. The impeller is the same as a Volvo impeller. The love joy needs to be replaced, the seal and we are going to do bearings out of maintenance thanks to Gary's suggestion and feeling a little bit of grinding with the shaft rotating by hand.

Tonight we took off the non original swim platform and the flappers on the tips. Temporary plans are to put bolts back in the holes with gaskets until our season of boating.

Future plans are: wetsanding, rebuilding bucket seats, new vinyl, white pinstripe, original style rub rail, closer to period specific gauges, and a RH 383. I've had the 383 for my Cuda SS project which the hull is going to Cuda Chris. The 289 in my mustang is not original and its LH so it's got to go. The 302 HM will fit nicely under the motor box where the 383 would not. The 383 will however fit nicely under the 72 skier box and will also go nicely with the 71C we rebuilt this summer from the 68 mustang. Motor parts are coming together. Grabbed a set of aluminum manifolds last week that had a leak in the casting plugs. Plan is to reweld them. They're perfect candidates for rewelding and they came as a courtesy of a customer replacing these with new ones.

I love this boat and it will be a beautiful little boat when finished!!

"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 12:26am
I like the look of that one. Congrats!!
83Ski
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 12:40am
Nice photos. Gotta love low bridges...the echo of an old V8 rumbling under a low bridge can't be beat, with the added bonus of irritating the crap out of the fisherman who (at least on Oconee) like to tie up to the bridge frame supports like it's their own private fishing spot.....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:04am
Ole Raunchy looks cool. However, don't care for low bridges. Bridge on our lake is so low you must let the tower down to go under it.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:14am
Love the big Smiles....She looks GREAT on you!

Steve
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:28am
Per our discussions on the dock, you already know how much I like Ole Raunchy. Very jealous. How is it I didn't get a ride...Oh yeah, I was running as your wing man.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:29am
Lookin good Eric! The last 2 pictures make it look like you have already wet sanded,I'm sure when you done sanding and polishing it will really stand out. You can see why I told you to do the bearing while your in there,it's so close! What is the story about the name? Obviously the PO but just wondering.

PS the rubber coupler you are looking for is called a spider,I get mine at a local farm store,so if you have something like that check there.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:32am
Originally posted by parrott parrott wrote:

Ole Raunchy looks cool. However, don't care for low bridges. Bridge on our lake is so low you must let the tower down to go under it.

Yep, I've seen a few newer devil-bow boats struggle with that on Oconee. Not an issue for me, no tower and no plans to ever add one. Although to my understanding my old Southwind has the same hull as the later Barefoot Nautique so functionally it should work; it's just a way goofy new-tech look on an old classic and i keep it in rack anyway so it wouldn't fit.     
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 12:51pm
what is that bearing?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 12:54pm
Not really sure what the bearing is. Its from the inside of the water pump that the shaft rotates on. I would guess its needle bearings in there? but I could be wrong
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:17pm
double row ball bearing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:30pm
Awesome boat !!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 1:54pm
Glad to see Ole Raunchy found a good home! Can't wait to see how that orange comes back!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:29pm
Ole Raunchy and I just crapped our pants at the price of new stainless rubrail....even at dealer cost that stuffs silly expensive!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:31pm
Aluminum would be the correct material wouldn't it? Still expensive, but not like SS.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:39pm
I bought mine in aluminum a few yrs ago.. I would like to replace the vinyl one on my new formula with stainless and am afraid to even look.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:45pm

Bruce that right? Im glad to hear its Aluminum. I gotta say that rubrail on your boys barracuda looks shinier than aluminum!!!
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:46pm
What is the rub rail currently made out of? Is it painted black, or is that rubber?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

I gotta say that rubrail on your boys barracuda looks shinier than aluminum!!!

Aluminum polishes up nicely.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:53pm
Eric, I don't know for sure what would have been on your boat, but guess it would be the same as they used in the 60's which is the J shaped stuff. It's about 1.25" including the J, but they don't measure it that way. They may call it 1".
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 2:54pm
Now before people freak out. The plans for these manifolds are obviously with the 383 I have. They will be stripped of their paint, hot tanked and cleaned with a chevy bowtie emblem welded in place of the malibu emblem which will be ground off.

These manifolds are aluminum and a similar design to the ones they use now on motors up to 555hp. They should flow sufficiently and they cost me nothing more than some time to get them up and running again.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 3:18pm
Those manifolds are cool, but I still think it would be cooler to dress that 383 up like a dark blue and green manifold Waukesha from the early 70's. The ETX's would look better in a more modern boat... I say fix 'em and sell 'em.

I forget which way you were leaning... 1.23 trans or RH 383?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

What is the rub rail currently made out of? Is it painted black, or is that rubber?

Rubber

Thoughts on that rubrail?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Those manifolds are cool, but I still think it would be cooler to dress that 383 up like a dark blue and green manifold Waukesha from the early 70's. The ETX's would look better in a more modern boat... I say fix 'em and sell 'em.

I forget which way you were leaning... 1.23 trans or RH 383?

Im going to do RH utilizing the 1:1 BW trans I have now. The plan is to do Waukesha green on these modern manifolds.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 3:57pm
If they look like crap, ill sell them and get more period specific ones, but for now with them being free manifolds. They're going to stick around so I can spend money in other places. IE reverse rotation roller cam.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 4:14pm
I bet you could sell those manifolds (once repaired) for more than it would cost for a brand new set of PCM cast irons. I think those ETX's would look a little silly in green... no one would be fooled into thinking those were original manifolds, so sort of missing the point of a period correct color scheme (ie, SLEEPER!). I dont think you'd be missing many hp going to the cast irons in such an overpowered boat anyways. Heck, I might even know someone who would be interested in those ETX's.

RR roller + BW 1:1 would be hawt.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I bet you could sell those manifolds (once repaired) for more than it would cost for a brand new set of PCM cast irons. I think those ETX's would look a little silly in green... no one would be fooled into thinking those were original manifolds, so sort of missing the point of a period correct color scheme (ie, SLEEPER!). I dont think you'd be missing many hp going to the cast irons in such an overpowered boat anyways. Heck, I might even know someone who would be interested in those ETX's.

RR roller + BW 1:1 would be hawt.

I dont plan to make it look like a sleeper, definitely different and probably not period specific. But the nice thing about accessories like these....they can get changed out over time

RR roller 383 and 1:1 will be very cool. I gotta talk to joe about where he got his cam and what kind of CR they are playing with on his
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

I dont plan to make it look like a sleeper, definitely different and probably not period specific.

Ha, well I think youre missing the boat on that one... might want to keep the H-M instead! I think old boats look cooler with old-appearing engines (even if they run much stronger)... but maybe thats just me.

If not a sleeper, then dress it up in polished and chrome then, I guess... dont use the Waukesha colors.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 4:53pm
Or stfu and let the guy do whatever he wants?? Mr super prick today! I just want that pipe back from Iowa.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2012 at 5:04pm
Dont buy stainless steel rubrail, that aint right nor is it cheap. You missed the boat by not buying rubrail from brother Reid while we were at the BBC since the best way to transport it back home is in a boat. If you have to have it soon you can hit him up for his source but the transportion logistics of a 12 foot fragile stick of aluminum is challenging. Through the marina maybe not so much..

As for the reverse rotation roller cam stuff I am sure my buddy Doug can hook you up.. no idea how much as I didn't pay for it or build it but you tell me what you are looking for and I will go down and talk to him.. he just had a chrysler wedge block come in his door yesterday that he is holding for me so I wouldnt need much of an excuse to go by there.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic