NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

repowering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: repowering
    Posted: September-10-2012 at 1:00pm
in the process of putting my skylark engine into a new boat and was planning on using a 283 or 327 chev i have . It dawned on me that it might be a good candidate for a 4.3 chev/merc   it would probably perform much like the original universal? has anyone seen one in a cc ?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 2:39pm
Peter, I looked at those engines when we were doing our Mustang. They're rated at 230hp or something like that and I bet it would go good. Exhaust manifolds would probably be a problem. I would much rather have a 283 or a 327. After running around in our 6 banger Mustang for a couple years, I think V8s are the way to go.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 3:31pm
A camp I worked at a few summers ago has a 4.3 Mercruiser I/O powered Glastron 17 bowrider. It was the secondary "ski" boat and I spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel. It pulled stronger than I expected.

That boat was probably fairly light, but maybe inline with your Skylark?

Although, being that it is basically 6/8ths of Chevy 350, the power is not surprising. I'm guessing it really wouldn't be too much lighter than a V8 though?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 4:06pm
Go all in, 496 just mod the doghouse. If your even thinking a 6 might not be enough then it probably isn't.   
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 4:18pm
Yes, lighter than a 305/307,327/350.
But A 4.3 and 302( ford, not z28 302) dressed will be within a few pounds of each other.
All sbc based engines will also be wider.
Really you have a blank slate, what's your criteria?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 5:42pm
Peter, what'd you end up doing to make that not do 180's at speeds because my boat will be as fast or faster than yours.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 6:39pm
80MW eletric 240V with 16 batteries.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Your math/engineering is pathetic and a insult to anyone trying to understand this idea.

Peter (1234) the SBC was successively marinized by Chris Craft for many years. It was a great engine and still is. Many now rebuilding them have gone all the way and have been using the 350 build.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Peter, I looked at those engines when we were doing our Mustang. They're rated at 230hp or something like that and I bet it would go good. Exhaust manifolds would probably be a problem. I would much rather have a 283 or a 327. After running around in our 6 banger Mustang for a couple years, I think V8s are the way to go.

Bruce thanks i keep holding back on handing the cashiers check on the chaparral I have it all made out to the guy . if i take that boat i am using the engine in my skylark for it , i should use a small block again in the skylark for ease of installation . I was just throwing it out there as an alternative with not enough gains to be made for me I suppose . I have hedged on pulling everything together only because i have had 3 other boats present themselves in the last week. there is an 87 sea ray pachanga 22 in your neighborhood that has me in a fit...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 6:56pm
Is it on Sebago? This is the time of year to buy a boat.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Yes, lighter than a 305/307,327/350.
But A 4.3 and 302( ford, not z28 302) dressed will be within a few pounds of each other.
All sbc based engines will also be wider.
Really you have a blank slate, what's your criteria?

the dimensions arent an issue it has a 350 in it now , I am just looking to put it back in the water and keep for a while or sell., i have 2 good small blocks i can use , i have a couple of decent rat motors too but am going to depower it from where it is now . I highly recommend doing so , fun over powered up to a certain point then has been a liability ,not worth the risk to friends and family in my experience. I dont know if a stock 283/327 4bbl will be much slower but it will hopefully top out at 52 or so .
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 7:03pm
it is check it on c list maine 1987 sea ray pachanga    i always wanted one
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Peter, what'd you end up doing to make that not do 180's at speeds because my boat will be as fast or faster than yours.

I did a few things to help the situation . the only real solution i have found is to listen very carefully until i hear a still misunderstood odd sound , then with my superhero lightning reflexes haul the throttle down ,close my eyes and hold on ......works every time........
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 7:13pm
I'd be glad to look at it for you. I emailed someone that knows about every boat on Sebago. This is what I got. "The guy is a member at the sandbar. Boat actually looks pretty nice…he had it on the Sebago Boating Club’s website under for sale…also listed it on their facebook page. I would assume that he would be honest with everything because generally members just refer listings to their friends/each other…decent boat, who wants it?

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 8:59pm
i might want it ,   i might bail out on the chaparral an awful lot of salt time .
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2012 at 12:04am
haha excellent peter. My dad is scared of it. I'll to rely on my reflexes.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2012 at 9:38am
Sounds like a nicer boat and better deal for the money, and you won't have to swap engines out of your Skylark. I sent you an email with a little more info.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2012 at 10:57am
looking at a 25 formula also . I hate having decisions to make.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2012 at 12:25pm
Formula's are very cool boats. The 25 I assume is a 454 boat?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2012 at 8:09pm
yes i ended up buying it today , one look was all it took. a lake winni boat someone took good care of it .
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2012 at 12:37am
Congrats Peter! Post a picture or link if you have one. What year/model?

If you plan to run it on Winnipesaukee I'll meet you with my jet boat, we can both get speeding tickets at the same time!

On the 4.3 - we have one in a family I/O bowrider, carb engine, 190 HP. It's strong but I don't think it would have any appeal in a classic. An old V6 has some character, but I'm with Bruce, any V8 would be preferable to a newer V6.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2012 at 1:13am
Pics and numbers, jealous and want a go fast myself.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2012 at 10:56am
Its a 252 ss a 1993 454 , someone took good care of it , I think its a 55 -58 mph boat probably . the plus side for me is I dont need to take the motor out of the skylark for the boat i thought i was buying.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2012 at 11:07am
Perfect! I wanna see that big hoss.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Your math/engineering is pathetic and a insult to anyone trying to understand this idea.

Haha wow, all that was meant was make it a EV.

I knew all 3 were way wrong.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic