NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 injector Breaker tripping

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 injector Breaker tripping
    Posted: August-06-2012 at 12:18pm
a couple of weeks ago I went to start my 2001 Sport after it had been sitting for an hour or so and it fired one and stalled. tried two more time and the same thing. Then it would just turn over. I found the middle breaker (B?)had tripped. I reset it and it ran the rest of the weekend without issue. The boat sat for almost two weeks and I started it this past Friday evening without an issue. It idled for a couple of minutes and I shut it off. An hour later I went to run it and it fired once, stalled, then it just would turn over. I found the breaker half popped, resent it and idled around the cove. About 800ft into the cruise it stalled and the breaker was 1/2 tripped. Got it running and it quit (about 3-4 times). I finally got it to stay running and I ran the crap out of it around the cove a bunch of times and then I parked it. It seemed fine.

Has this happend to anyone else? If so what was your fix? The manual just says if the problem persists to take it to a certified dealer (Thanks a lot Manual writers}. I'm a fish out of water with fuel injection systems.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 2:53pm
Is this an injector breaker or a fuel pump breaker?

In this thread, Joel (M3Fan) describes a situation where a dying Low Pressure Fuel pump will draw too many amps and keep popping the breaker:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 3:02pm
John,
Brian is correct and so is Joel. Check the draw of the pump with your VOM. We should be able to dig up the FLA (full load amps) for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 3:02pm
It is the middle breaker. I'm assuming it is B which the manual says it is the injector. I couldn't find a picture of the three breakers in the manual.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 10:41pm
The top breaker 60 amp is the main circuit breaker.
The middle 15 amp is the fuel pump circuit breaker (on older models it can be a 20 amp).
The bottom 12.5 amp is the circuit breaker for the EEC power (computer)

You have a fuel pump that is causing the breaker to trip. Jumper the STO connector to earth to make both pumps run without starting engine. Disconnect the low pressure and high pressure pumps one at a time to see which pump is causing the high current draw.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 11:13pm
John this should clear it up a picture.
Forgot I had uploaded this picture to site. Also just uploaded the fuel pump circuit diagram. This diagram shows the EEC computer wiring as well.
If you do not know how to jumper the STO. Check it out in AMB's Fuel supply thread is on one of the early pages. The STO connector is that black shell marked EEC test covering the wiring connector next to the cct breakers and above the relays.

89 Ski

Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 12:27pm
Thanks Lewy2001 for the pictures. It is the fuel pump breaker that is tripping. Looks like AMB and I have the same experience with mechanical electical stuff. The difference is when my dad pasted I didn't get the meter.
If and when the boat starts again I'm assuming that I will see a differnce in the draw on the one that is malfunctioning correct? Or could the pump act up intermintantly? And could a plugged filter overload the fuel pumps?
Unfotunately when this happen the second time I was not in a position to trouble shoot having quests and the dog in the boat and up for the weekend.
Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend so I can sort this out.
Thanks for all the input. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If anyone is bored this weekend and wants to swing by to give their two cents and/or help I'll supply the beer.   
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Bakchose Bakchose wrote:

And could a plugged filter overload the fuel pumps?...

It would be definitely worth changing your filter to see if that helps, before replacing the pumps. it's a maintenance item anyway.

Originally posted by Bakchose Bakchose wrote:

Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend so I can sort this out.
Thanks for all the input. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If anyone is bored this weekend and wants to swing by to give their two cents and/or help I'll supply the beer.

Do you keep Fosters on hand? Cuase if Lewy swings by, he'll be pretty thirsty from his trip

This weekend is one of the few that I won't be up that way myself. If you get into it the weekend of the 18th, let me know.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Do you keep Fosters on hand? Cause if Lewy swings by, he'll be pretty thirsty from his trip

Funny enough not many Aussie's drink Fosters. On my last US trip I quite liked the Millers beer's. The tour of the factory in Milwaukee and beer tasting was a bit of a blur but I definitely acquired a taste for their beers.

89 Ski

Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 1:28pm
Brian, hopefully the weather will change for this weekend. It looks sketchy at the moment. If I have to put it off till the 18th I'll let you know.

Lewy2001 LOL. When I'm out and about or stocking the frig, I go for the Miller as well.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 12:17pm
Well it seems to be fixed (Knock on wood). The low presure pump was the culprit. She ran great around the cove without issue. Thanks for the advice and saving me a trip to the dealer.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 1:48pm
Cool you were able to fix it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic