Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
guitarist35jc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarist35jc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Issues
    Posted: August-02-2012 at 12:43am
Hi,
I am having some issues with my GT-40 (Ford) engine. First off, the boat is not a Nautique... it's an MB Sports Boss LS200, but I figured this would be a good place to ask a PCM question.

The engine starts fine, but runs rough. It is not terrible at low speeds and low rpms, but after running at higher rpms for probably 20 minutes, the engine will begin to bog out. It will surge slightly at cruising speed and will then begin to die. Sometimes you can recover by letting off the throttle and slowly accelerating again. Other times it will just die off completely, but always restarts easily and will run again for a while until falling into the same pattern.

Fuel filter was replaced by the previous owner a couple years ago, but I have ordered another as these symptoms seem to point to the fuel filter. Any other suggestions? The GT-40 is the newer version with the FCC. I am trying to get my hands on a fuel pressure tester to check that also. Could it possibly be a spark plug issue? I pulled the plug boots off and the plugs looked a bit suspect.

Also, is there a filter anywhere inside the low pressure pump that could be replaced, or would the entire unit need to be replaced (if this were part of the issue)?

Thanks for the help
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 1:29am
J, Welcome to CCfan, you've come to the right place. :)
What year is your MB? I looked at the exact same boat here in Orlando- Nice boat for sure. If it was me, I would be checking for water in the gas. If your boat has a fuel/water separator, dump that out and fill it with good gas. If that doesn't help, then you'll want to hook a fuel pressure gauge to the shrader valve located on the front of the starboard fuel rail. You should have 40PSI or there abouts. Do change the fuel filter like you said. Sounds like the high pressure pump is getting an insufficient supply of fuel. If the plugs have not been changed recently, that would also be a good idea, too. This seems to sound like more of a fuel issue than spark, but you never know! Good luck.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 2:02pm
Also a good idea to check the anti-siphon valve. It is part of the fitting that comes out of the fuel tank. These are known to gum up and cause problems.

Also, check out some of the ideas in here:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584 and also look at the google spreadsheet contained within.

Be sure to update this thread when you find your fix.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 2:32pm
I just went through a similar situation with our 96 SNOB - GT-40 with FCC.

Inside the FCC there is a hose that connects the high pressure fuel pump to the fuel line coming out of the canister. Ours had a small crack which was the culprit for lack of fuel pressure. We went ahead and replaced the high pressure pump as well as the filter and all was resolved.

To remove the canister, simply use an oil filter wrench. I ended up using a strap wrench and it came off with no problems.

Vince at SkiDim can talk you through the process if you need any additional help or parts. There's a few misc items that go with the FCC as well. (hose clamps and seals)

I'd post a picture but I'm on my phone at the moment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarist35jc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2012 at 11:45pm
Thanks for the replies. The boat is a 1997, with only 370 hours on it to date. We have already pulled the FCC canister apart and examined the high pressure pump and filter. The hose had been replaced at the same time the previous owner replaced the filter, and it looks good.

A local marina suggested that it could be clogged injectors, but after reading of other similar experiences and talking to the folks at skidim, most people seem to think that the filters do such a good job eliminating impurities that it is unlikely anything made it as far as the injectors, and that the problem is before them.

So, we plan to check the anti-syphon valve, drain the fuel tank and replace with new fuel in case it is just a bad tank of fuel, replace the fuel filter and O-ring, and see what happens. If we still have issues, we will then look at spark plugs & wires, and the fuel/water separator.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 2:01am
   We'd love to see some boat pics when you get the chance to upload them. A clogged injector would, in most cases, be a constant problem/miss and you would notice it running poorly under all conditions. However, if you should decide to go that route, a set of 8 can be bought on ebay for $90 or so. I'll give you the link to the seller if I can find it. They're pretty simple to replace, too.
    Your plan of attack sounds good, and most of that is just preventative maintenance in my opinion. If you still have problems after, try to get your hands on a fuel pressure checker. It will be a good way to make sure that your pumps and connections are all tight and eliminate that from your possible problems list. I believe they lend them out at Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts. Let us know how it works out for you. Seems like many people have been running into little glitches with the GT40s lately.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 8:43am
Originally posted by guitarist35jc guitarist35jc wrote:

A local marina suggested that it could be clogged injectors, but after reading of other similar experiences and talking to the folks at skidim, most people seem to think that the filters do such a good job eliminating impurities that it is unlikely anything made it as far as the injectors, and that the problem is before them.

J,
I'm glad you did some research before taking that marina's advice. It sounds like they have no idea of what is going on. I sure would hesitate going back to them. They must be a Bayliner dealer!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 1:12pm
Keep those relays in mind too. They are relatively cheap to replace and failing ones like to act up when they get warm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarist35jc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 2:14pm
They aren't a Bayliner dealer, I believe they are a Sea Ray dealer... not much better hah. They were the dealer that the previous owner used to have the steering cable replaced not long ago, so we decided to try them since they knew the boat.

I wondered about the relay also, if I decide to swap it out should I do both relays at the same time? Or just the fuel control relay? Seems like fuel system problems can be a wild goose chase to track down.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2012 at 4:11pm
    Lol, searay, bayliner, etc etc. Worked on a bayliner this week and immediately remembered why I've NEVER bothered with an I/O. Either buy an outboard, or an inboard. No need to try and mix the two.
    The relays are pretty cheap but, I feel like if it was a relay not functioning properly, you'd be dealing with a no start/intermittent start situation. That's just my 2 cents, though. It may be worth a shot. The ignition and fuel control relays are interchangeable. Try switching the relays, and see if you get any different results.
Jake
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarist35jc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 12:07am
Well, here's an update on our GT-40 problems. A new fuel filter arrived last week. We installed it today, as well as removing and cleaning the spark arrestor which was full of belt dust and other debris. We also removed the fuel pickup tube from the tank. The anti-siphon valve was seized in place and impossible to remove from the right angle fitting on top of the tank. What we did find, however, was a lot of gunk in filter at the end of the pickup tube which sits in the bottom of the tank.

So, we put the boat back together, put some fresh fuel in the tank, and took it out for a run. It ran smoothly with no hesitation, no surging, and no bogging out for roughly an hour. Before this work it was showing signs of not getting fuel about 10 minutes into running. So, it looks good for the time being! Not going to say it's fixed yet, as I'd really like to get a look inside the anti-siphon valve, but its vastly improved over a week ago!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 12:54am
Cool

I added clogged fuel pickup tube to the Diagnosis Spreadsheet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic