Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - GT40 Low Pressure Fuel Pump Not Being Triggered
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Low Pressure Fuel Pump Not Being Triggered

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tachyon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tachyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Low Pressure Fuel Pump Not Being Triggered
    Posted: July-05-2012 at 4:29am
2001 Super Air Nautique with GT40 engine (and perfect pass...in case that makes a difference!). I've scoured the forums for help, and have finally narrowed down the failure to terminal 86 on the relay plug for the low pressure pump. Turns out that it is not cycling to +12V when hit start on the keypad - or if I crank the engine with the keypad.

I have tested both HP and LP fuel pumps, both relays, and finally got out the multi-meter to see what is happening. Terminal 86 on the low pressure pump relay plug is getting -30mV when I crank the engine and with no relay plugged in. For the high pressure relay plug, I get about 12V at Terminal 86 when cranking.

I have hard-wired to the low pressure pump from terminal 30 - and the pump runs perfect. I've also done the obvious relay-swapping, etc... with no luck.

I have some specific questions;

1. Do the high pressure and low pressure pumps run simultaneously (i.e. is Terminal 30 essentially 'common' to both of the pumps)?

2. If I need the boat to run Friday...until next Sunday... for our 'big' summer vacation, can I simply wire Terminal 30 from the HP pump to the LP pump so they both will run simultaneously?

3. What conditions need to be met for the low pressure pump to run? Are these conditions the same as the high pressure pump?

I should note that the boat was running OK on the last 3 outings. I recently re-carpeted & surely pushed the wiring harness around a bit under the dash, etc... is there a wire down there that I should trace?

Please help - thanks in advance!
Manufacturer of the Super Deluxe Boom Mount!

www.tachyonmotorsports.com
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 9:22am
Rick both fuel pumps run off the same relay. The second relay(EEC) is the power relay for the ECM (Computer). The relay with the green/yellow on "86" terminal of relay is the fuel pump relay. You should have 12 volts on both terminal 30 and terminal 85 of fuel pump relay. The ground supplied by the computer is what activates the relay.

Both pumps should run for a short period when you switch ignition on. This is controlled by the computer for initial start fuel pressure. The pumps will run all the time once the engine is started. You can make the fuel pumps run by grounding the STO connector as shown (with ignition on). The STO connector is under a plastic protective shell marked EEC test above the relays.

Also check out this thread we went through the relay wiring in detail in this thread. Also check for the large fuse holder in your battery box that is known to cause problems for the GT40 engine electrics.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
tachyon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tachyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 11:35am
Thanks for the info! This is VERY helpful! So I wonder if the problem could also just be an intermittent failure of the low pressure pump?

I'm going to do some tests today & HOPEFULLY get it all squared away.

tachyon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tachyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 2:02pm
I ran out and re-tested the low-pressure pump, appears to be working OK. I am picking up a fuel pressure test gauge today & will see if the high pressure pump has failed.

I also read through that thread you mentioned, what a GREAT compilation of info on the GT40 - I took several notes and will see what I come up with.

Thanks again!

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2012 at 3:11pm
Hey Rick, I was having the same issue a couple months ago. Turn key, sometimes pumps would activate, sometimes not. And a couple of times, boat would quit after running.

I didn't bother pinning out the connector, but simply swapped the fuel pump relay after posting a message here and looking at that thread.

Relay is 12 bucks at Autozone.

Ultra
MBO090 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBO090 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 12:11pm
Ultrarunner (and everyone else)!
I have exactly the same frustrating problem with my GT40 - 1998...! Did you solve the problem just by replacing the two relays beside of the computerbox?! I have changed my relays but my engine still sometimes refuse to prime the engine when I turn the key (for a sec or two) and the engine runs for a couple of seconds then it dies (no pumps are running). Sometimes it just dies when Im drinving the boat but then I just have to turn the key and then it runs perfectly again and runs ok for a couple of days...

Questions:
Is the box named Test ECC (?) a relay?
Are there any fuses under the dashboard that can cause this problem?

Any Ideas anyone...?!

/Thanks from Sweden!
Livet går i direktsändning!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by MBO090 MBO090 wrote:

Questions:
Is the box named Test ECC (?) a relay?
Are there any fuses under the dashboard that can cause this problem?

Any Ideas anyone...?!

No it is just a protective plastic housing over the STO and STI connectors used by a Ford OBD1 code reader. No fuses under the dash that could cause this problem. If you have a large fuse holder in the battery box that is a known source of GT40 problems and a modification was done to remove this fuse totally. Also check safety lanyard connections.

Have a look in the thread I mentioned above it will show you a code reader attached to those connectors. The engine in this thread had similar problems to yours so read complete thread.

89 Ski

MBO090 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBO090 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2012 at 7:55pm
Thanks Lewy!
I have investigated the problem and the pumps are ok, the relays are ok and all the cabels are ok according to my multiinstrument...
Now its running again and my only conclusion is that the relay for the fulepumps works 85% of the time - they will be replaces with new ones tomorrow.

Does anyone report problems with the EFI computer or is it rocksolid?!

Thanks anyway!!
Livet går i direktsändning!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2012 at 4:41am
Originally posted by MBO090 MBO090 wrote:

Does anyone report problems with the EFI computer or is it rocksolid?!

Thanks anyway!!

The EEC1V computer was used on Ford based automobile engines and they proved quite reliable. The GT40 PCM engine was released in 95. So some of these engines out there are approaching 20 years of age. The ECM in the marine application has also been reliable. There have not been many reported failures on this forum. Which would be the best indication as most owners with problems would find their way here via google.

Your problem could be a intermittent relay problem. But do not rule out a wiring/connector problem or fuel pump. Having a spare relay or two will not go astray as they seem to be the weak link in a otherwise great engine package.

89 Ski

tachyon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tachyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 4:51pm
UPDATE:

Ended up finding a fuel pump at the local auto parts store.

On my 2001 Super Air Nautique with the GT40 engine, after about 2 hours at the store, I found that a 1993 Mustang uses the same pump. Part number E 2061 or E-2061. Below is a link on Summit Racing's website to the same fuel pump. It is currently installed in my boat, and has about 10 hours on it - works perfectly!

I am guessing that some other Mustangs use the same part, etc... the key is to make sure it has the two male spades for hookup, and that the pickup end of the pump is concentric with the outside diameter.

Both O'Reilly and Auto Zone had the part, I ended up at Auto Zone for mine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E2061/

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic