Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coupler - Velvet Drive to Shaft - '77 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
t317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coupler - Velvet Drive to Shaft - '77 Nautique
    Posted: June-08-2012 at 3:22pm
We were fixing the leaks in the exhaust hoses and patching the holes in the fiber glass "mufflers (tubes)" and pulled one of the plugs out of the coupler from the Velvet Drive to the propeller shaft. It was dry and had some rust in there. We are not sure if it needs grease or something inside.

I have attached a picture.

This is on a '77 Ski Nautique.

Thanks.
T.
[IMG]uploads/12606/Coupler_Question.jpg
t317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 3:24pm
Picture did not work. Trying again.

T.

dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 4:21pm
Tad,

Welcome to the site. I have never seen a coupler like that. Curious to hear what the others have to say?
83Ski
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 4:46pm
That is the oddest coupling half I've ever seen. Maybe Eric will recognize it. To me, it looks homemade when someone didn't know the coupling is supposed to be a heat shrink fit, had problems with the original and added the rather large bolts to try to hold the shaft in place. The other option is it may be someones idea of a self aligning flex coupling installed by a PO when he couldn't get the alignment correct???

Tad,
Welcome to CCfan. Please tell us more about the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 5:11pm
I think its one of these,don't think you need to add grease check the rubbers bushes on the four bolts.

Federal coupler
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 5:18pm
Roger,
You sure "nailed" it. Thanks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
t317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 5:37pm
Perfect. Seeing that makes me feel that we are ok with what we have.

You asked for information on the boat. I purchased in 1997 for $5,000 from someone whose wife was making him sell it so they could buy an entertainment center. I never could understand selling a boat not to upgrade but to buy furniture??? I think I would have traded in the wife.... He had the boat for quite a few years up near Janesville at a summer house on the river. Before him I do not know. I thought I heard something about a ski team, but I doubt it as the boat does not look that beat up. Probably just owned by someone on a ski team.

It has sat for the last 5 years as I upgraded boats. My oldest son now wants his own boat so I brought it out of storage and we are putting a tower on it. Leave it to a kid to not understand it is a SKI boat.

Attached are some pictures of us putting a tower on the boat. The boat will be on the river in the Rockford area this summer.

Thanks.
T.

hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 5:44pm
Odd coupler and a black framed windshield on a 77
Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 6:33pm
The boat looks like it's in pretty good shape. I hate to see the tower on it though!

Eric (our resident trans expert and rebuilder) will be along soon and I have a hunch he's going to "poo poo" that coupling half. I'd be inclined to get it off and go stock too. Have you checked the alignment? Of course with the flex in that coupling, it's going to be hard.

Brian,
It's a 77 so the black windshield frame is original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 7:23pm
oops must have been 76 and earlier silver that is a nice looking ride
Brian
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 10:09am
its a Federal coupling, yank it and buy a split type, federals are for mis alignment, the used car salesman that sells them will tell you they are great, ive never in my life said to someone we better put a Federal on there because what you are trying to obtain is perfect alignment without it, its not needed if everything is correct....just a Band aid
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 10:47am
Tad,
Eric's response was as I predicted. So, any opinions on what you want to do? I'd say that coupling went on for a reason. Even though the outside of the boat looks fantastic, how are the stringers? If in bad shape, then that may be the reason for the flex coupling? Have you done any checking?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 11:10am
i think those federals run in the 400.00 dollar range to
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i think those federals run in the 400.00 dollar range to

WOW!!! A set of feeler gauges sure aren't 400!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
t317 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t317 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 1:15pm
The fiberglass on the driver's side stringer in the back was cracked away from the wood. The wood itself feels good when you poke it with at knife (we could only reach the top wood). So we poured a bunch of West System epoxy down the crack, which was pretty much the length of the back portion of the stringer, screwed the fiberglass back to the the wood and fiberglassed cloth on top of the crack to seal it.

I have not idea how to check alignment and what I should be doing about coupling, is there anywhere someone wrote about it? I would guess that coupling has been in there over 20 years. The guy I bought it from was not mechanical at all.

Thanks for your help!

T.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 1:50pm
Tad,
Take a look at this video to get an idea of what alignment is about.

If you already found a bad spot on the stringer glass, understand you the boat is "living on borrowed time". Whoever told you about pouring the west down the crack, did he also mention problems most likely go deeper? There are plenty of threads here on CCfan that tell all about stringers and rot. Are there any soft spots in the floor? Is the floor still attached fore to aft to the hull sides? Have you tried tapping the glass with a light hammer wherever you can and listen for sounds of delamination?

The coupling does need attending to. I'd go with Eric's recommendation and put a split coupling on the prop shaft. He likes them. The alternate is a shaft coupling system made by ARE. Once to get the coupling swapped out, then the alignment can be checked. We sure would hate to see you blow the trans and end up sending it to Eric for a rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic