NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 14>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

You could try these guy's Jack. I got a nice kit for my fuel pump. I don't think I'd mention it is marine though. Just email them and tell them the make and what ever numbers are stamped into the pump and see what they have.

Thanks Gary, great site. I need to get more information on my pump. Will be taking it apart this morning. Since the boat came with no pump I am not sure whats behind it. After reading it seems some have the rod to push the arm on the pump and some work off a cam. Not sure how AMC did it. If I go back into the motor I stole this pump from it may be more telling. Perhaps the pump is good and I installed it wrong.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 9:49am
I had a pump rebuild by these guys (actually its just a guy, Mike) he did great work. He also sourced me a back up pump, non - original to the Ford 312 but it will work if I ever need to have it rebuilt again.

How it went in:

How it came back

I remember when it came back, if I worked the arm, you could hear the pump moving air, so that would be a good check...

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 10:00am
Thanks Steve. I kind of thought the one I put in had some suction. Didn't pay enough attention. We always seem to have time to do it over though. What I don't see on any including yours is the small port for the weep hope and to direct the fumes from it to the carb intake. Is this unnecessary? Looking for someone that has an AMC 327 and can tell me if there is a push rod behind the actuator that may need to be greased to stay up for the installation.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 10:14am
Sorry Jack, I can't help you there. No such port on the Ford. I bet if you called Mike at "Then and Now Automotive" he might have some thoughts. Other then that, I don't think I have even ever seen a AMC327 in person...
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 11:31am
Jack, got this off the net...looks like the pump runs off a cam on the cam chain wheel (on cars would think it’s same in marine form)....see if it’s still there....or you may have the pump arm on the wrong side of it.

Oh’ I don’t won’t to worry you but they call this set up on the Gray Amc 327 two sticks of dynamite....... Keep well ventilated or run with the motor box off first.

Handy link on AMC 327

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 11:56am
Roger I appreciate the info. Right now my eyes are absorbing it. Have bookmarked the site also. I can't see a push rod in the picture so it appears that the actuator rests on the cam?
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2013 at 4:05pm
Glad it was of some help Jack....post some pic’s of what your working with and the guys here will soon sort it out....
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 11:37pm
Looks like the folks at Then and Now Automotive will be supplying me with a rebuild kit for my pump and perhaps a new replacement as well. I need two after all and no time like the present unless I get the price and it is a choker.

My pump...I am told it is for marine

FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 2:43pm
Jack, Found these last night while cruising the boat sites and thought they may help. Keep up the great work!

59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2013 at 8:20pm
Jack,
The older pumps were not considered true marine to today's standards.

At least you found the rebuild kit and the pump is screwed together.

When you get to the point of screwing the halves together, depress the arm in a vice to stretch the diaphragm. If you don't, the diaphragm will constantly be stretching to it's full open position. The pump will not perform as needed and you will end up with premature diaphragm failure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 9:26am
Sure wish my 327 looked like the one Brian just posted. The plumbing is sorted out clearly in the photos so I think that will be a help. I stretched the diaphragm out Pete as per the instructions and a bench test shows it holding 5 lbs pressure so I am satisfied. When I installed it there was no pressure and after many r&r's I have determined that the arm is only touching slightly on the eccentric. The rebuilt pump is from a 1956 AMC 327 and it is going on a 1959 AMC 327. Silly of me to assume they should be the same. If my only choice was to extend the arm with a little pad I would do it but first this morning I will research to see if there is actually two different pumps. Does anyone have similar experiences?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

When I installed it there was no pressure and after many r&r's I have determined that the arm is only touching slightly on the eccentric.

Jack,
This may be another case of not enough ZDDP but, the arm wear to the cam is pretty common. On several pumps, I've had to braze the wear area to build up the worn spot.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2013 at 8:21pm
Or could it be the case of a wrong eccentric? Ford had 2 different kinds,but I think they had the same lift. But what did AMC have?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2013 at 10:11am

Have aborted the mechanical pump and gone electric. Here is what I came up with....

Pump

Oil Pressure Safety Switch

I do hope this will work with the sidedrafts.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2013 at 10:35am
The Atom fired up last night with the side drafts. It actually restarts good and idles nice and even in the yard. Now time for the water test. A few small gas leaks on startup were easily fixed and there was a small drip from the aft carb briefly after shutdown This is a common problem with the yh's and I think it may be a factor of the boat not being level? One lesson, a fuel pump from a AMC 327, 225 horse doesn't fit a AMC 327, 188 HP, two years difference in engines, even if the book says it does. You can rebuild it and it still doesn't fit LOL.Can only imagine what is in store for me as I go WOT on the lake. Looks like this one will be sipping gas from an electric pump from now on since I cant seem to buy a mechanical one.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2013 at 12:16am
Been a long summer with this boat. Having spent many hours on the hull first year, I worked on mechanical dependability this summer and I have not gotten there yet. Switching the carbs to original was a good call and any small issues resultant from that change have been workable so far. I actually think the Carter YH's will be perfect for the job they were intended. Now, I didn't intend to be stupid and starve the engine a little on the hose for water but I did and now the heads are off cause they were not happy with the treatment. We took off the unit as a whole with the exhaust manifolds because I could just tell by the mangled head on one of the bolts in the manifold that there was going to be trouble. On the bench there are three broken bolts as we speak and though all the others are out, the manifold is still reluctant to release from the head. They will be going out for magniflux and whatever needed when we can seperate them from the heads. Any tricks that might help? Boat is leaving for Florida on Sunday LOL.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2013 at 10:05pm
Take them or send them to a metal desintegrator. I have had great luck with that. Some mole welding shops can do it too. I have had hardened bolts desintegrated from aluminum castings successfully. That's just my opinion, there are some here with much more metal working experience that I.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 11:12am
I guess Burton has gotten the first manifold to release a bit so it may give in soon. The long shank of the bolt has seized to the cast where it passes through. May need your disintegrator suggestion yet John. Looks like I may pull the boat to Florida and get the heads when I come back up Xmas time less we get real lucky and they come apart today.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 11:22am
Where you taking it to in Florida? I would love to see it!
Js
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 11:30am
Thanks for your interest Jerry. Would love to show it to you. The boat and I winter over in Oak Hill which is on the Mosquito Lagoon due east of you I believe. I will be bringing it to the SJRR and Tavares this March and expect when the heads are back on I will make several trips to the closest fresh water to tune it in. I think that may be near Sanford somewhere. If you want to stop by and visit on the lagoon feel free. Drop a line.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 11:33am
Jack, I'm curious about how it overheated and how long it took to damage the heads. What happened?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 11:52am
As it were Bruce I struggled with fuel pump issues and installing the Carter YH's. For a while it was like stopping water in a leaky dike as I would fix one issue another would pop up. Such as it probably is when a boat sits many years. I digress well short story is I ran it on the hose and had installed a shutoff oh the hose so I wouldnt have to keep running to shut it off. Forgot to open the shutoff. Was right there but didnt realize till I saw I go up to about 200 deg and shut it down. A good reason to always run from a bucket is what I learned. The head gasket let go as best as I can see and it was in bad shape so I guess that is ok if nothing else is damaged. I think I am ok. Was putting off replacing the impellers because they were working but the overheat took care of that also.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 12:15pm
I can see how that would happen. I've got a splitter with valves in it. I'm going to fix it so it doesn't work!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 12:58pm
I assume the bump up in the top of the motor box was to accommodate the retrofit carburetor. If so do you have plans to change the motor box now that the YHs are on there. I posted a photo of a very nice fin boat for sale back in the thread somewhere and I believe it had the bump up too, so maybe it's original. Just curious.
I dream about owning an Atom someday, preferably a fin boat like yours, but I'm afraid it's just a dream. I really enjoy this thread especially when new photos are posted.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 1:16pm
Ya John, I have a tendency to put the horse before the cart often. When I brought the Nomad home( your name pic?)it had a funny wedge shaped top and I altered it to accommodate the Holly and not look so Batman like. I really didn't spend a great deal of time on it. Now it needs to be rid of the bump and when the YH carbs prove their worth I'll fix it. The twin to mine was at Sunnyland show two years back and it has a naugy covered one. I know original had the same stain combo as the fore deck so may well go that route though I do like the upholstered one.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 1:33pm
Jack, the motor box that went with your '60 Atom probably is the exact same motor box that went with your fin boat.

That fin boat is very nice, but the color does not look right.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 1:51pm
I am sure you are right Bruce and it is my reference. Makes it worth hauling down from Portland . The one on my fin boat is larger however because the profile of the AMC Gray Marine. Larger footprint. I believe the Ford y block may have been a little better fit for the little boat, but we all like to go fast right?

Did you notice the three scarph joints on the port side of the Lake Dora boat? I do agree the custom job on that boat is interesting but I prefer the original style. It think the doghouse is high also probably for a downdraft carb.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2014 at 11:41am
Old post here from John but it may be time to consider this option. A quick search didn't turn up any in the Ct area but I can try harder. Meanwhile after making a static display out of the Nomad at the ACBS show in March I put her in my neighbors garage in Fl and pulled the engine. When the heads are ready the bilge area can be cleaned properly and the block and accessories can be painted. Worth the wait and several knowledgeable folks have given a thumbs up to the condition of the block and cylinder walls.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2014 at 3:30pm
A fin boat post makes my day. Nice to see it getting some more love.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 10:39am
missing photos

You can't see it but she's smiling...

Just as a reminder of how Nomad looked last summer with the windshield on. I believe to be the original however if others think not now is the time to inform me please. Meanwhile, have you ever lost a tool or a pencil you had in your hand a minute ago never to be found again, even if you blew a day looking for it? Such is the case with the hardware to reinstall the windshield. I have a new gasket in hand and set aside a day last week to do the job but the rest is history. Does anyone know a source for these parts which seem to be somewhat illusive in my search.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic