NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 121314
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 10:32pm
I think his point is that the carbs may not be as needy of perfect float adjustment if the linkage was staggered. Float adjustment seems to have been a problem for people since they were invented.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Float adjustment seems to have been a problem for people since they were invented.

Bruce,
I think you are trying to rationalize going non original with those that have removed the YH side drafts!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2017 at 12:11am
Because I love the Fin Boat and I have no experience with YH carbs, I read an explanation of how they work and proper adjustment. By this paper maintenance and adjustment doesn't appear to be terribly difficult. Nothing looks sweeter than a pair of YHs on a 312 IMO. On the other hand I would be very sad if the Fin Boat suffered damage or worse. It is a favorite of mine.
Carter YH
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 2:15pm
How’s the fin boat doing? Will it be ready for the water this year?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 12:13pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

Say it ain’t so

I saw it this morning too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

How’s the fin boat doing? Will it be ready for the water this year?

This is an old one I did not see. The boat is ready for the water this spring John with a holly downdraft. All parts saved for the side drafts. Should be a fun ride for the new owner if one comes along. If not and I have some time to go to New England and use it that's fine also. I am in Ct now and peeled back the cover in the garage on the boat and lament the fact that I have listed it here for sale but there are other fun boats to play with. I shall not want.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 10:40pm
Is the boat in CT? And you mentioned the carbs. I apologize I’m on my phone. But you had a carb fire? I’m asking because I want a wooden inboard for my retirement. Not ready for retiement, economically, but I will be finished with the camp rebuild by July 4th, And my boat storage people’s son has showed interest in my boat. It has sat in storage for the last two years due to my obligations with the camp.. pm me.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 11:27pm
The boat is in Ct
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2019 at 10:02am
Since the Skier has not sold and the rebuilt holly 2 barrel downdraft didn’t work out so well i have decided to buy a new carb for this boat and give it a little TLC it is in need of. Might even keep it a while and enjoy it until an interested party comes along. SJRR is coming up. Need a little help finding a small carb that fits the AMC marine intake. Looks like 600 CFM the match but i have been told that a 2 barrel is all the engine needs. Quadra jet would probably save me a little money. Any help?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2019 at 11:19am
What didn’t go well with the holley?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2019 at 11:55am
Hey Tim, I bought a marine 2 bbl and the rebuild went bud. Think unfamiliarity with the carb and manual adjustments. Not sure. It ended up pouring gas down the throat. Since I have very little knowledge in the matter and want to cut my losses thought get new might serve me better. It is an older style Holley.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2019 at 11:43am
We have a 600 Edelbrock 4 Brl on our 312 and it runs really good. 450 cfm is probably all that it needs, but a 600 runs well.   Is your intake for a 4 brl? We have bought Edelbrocks for other engines and they've not run so well, 318, 427. Maybe someone has a decent one you could borrow before you spend $500+? We've got some carbs, but they all need rebuilds. Summit has Holley and Quick Fuel 2bls if that's what you're thinking of, but pricey.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 9:24am
Thanks for the input Bruce, Think that’s the one Burton said would be best also for the money. I do have a 4bbl manifold. The boat came with a Holley 750cfm but it was automotive. That’s how the whole saga started. I am a little tired of it and want to close the book on carbs for this boat and move on. The 188HP, 327 AMC is prolly matched close to your 312 in needs and i think it would work. I don’t have the luxury of borrowing and trying one unfortunately.
Looks like Jegs has a reman for 376 free shipping. Think i should consider a reman?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 10:34am
I've never bought a reman. Summit has a new Edelbrock for about $100 more. Decent used carbs come up on the CCF from time to time. I'd rather have a Holley 4160 600 than the Edelbrock. Maybe someone will put one of those up for sale, but if you're looking to have it ready for SJRR, you may have to buy the Edelbrock. The 2 engines that did not run well for us with Edelbrocks may have had other issues, not necessarily carb issues. The 318 was worn out and the 427 may have had a fuel pump issue. .
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 11:36am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Hey Tim, I bought a marine 2 bbl and the rebuild went bud. Think unfamiliarity with the carb and manual adjustments. Not sure. It ended up pouring gas down the throat. Since I have very little knowledge in the matter and want to cut my losses thought get new might serve me better. It is an older style Holley.

The new Holley needle and seat assemblies coming in rebuild kits are not awesome... have seen the dripping before on fresh rebuilds. I’d replace the needle/seat again and give it a try.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 11:45am
Hi. There is CARTER marine on eBay for a chrysler. Looks good 150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2020 at 11:25am

Can’t figure how to make this link to Imgur work. Help?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2020 at 11:47am

Can’t figure how to make this link to Imgur work. Help?

Gotta click on the pic and then grab the link from there, looks like you are trying to share from the gallery.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2020 at 11:54am

Thanks for the help Tim.
I have had interest in this boat but chief concerns mostly were the poor condition of the dog house. Have now rebuilt it and need to find a little time to finish.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2020 at 12:44pm

New carb is the bomb. Runs very well. Have repacked the log and rudder so it’s getting close to water test.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2020 at 12:48pm
Jack,
The dog house looks great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2020 at 10:09am
Thanks Pete, I appreciate that. Already know your feelings in regard the downdraft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2020 at 10:11am
Jack,
Looks like the only thing you still need are hoses running from the valve cover vents up to the new carb.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2020 at 10:20am
I agree and it has been done. Decided to go ahead and send the starter to the rebuild shop. New bendix wasn’t releasing and had to lift the engine three times to remove and return to the shop. They finally got it right. Had to again lift the engine to service the log packing. Lot of motor for a small space.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2020 at 11:06am

Had to again lift the engine to service the log packing. Lot of motor for a small space.

Yup, CC did have some tight engine to hulls. I think the worst I know is the 331 hemi in Alan's Hurricane. He too would need to lift the tail end of the engine for a packing gland service.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 121314
  Share Topic