NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 5:27pm
Jack what was the fire like? Was it contained to the carb or did it puke gas all over the place which then ignited? The fire extinguisher must have made a mess.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

I have been following this thread, as most of us have, since it started....

Now, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to old things....the more original the better...

But I gotta say, before you drop another penny in that damn motor, or worse yet, burn the damn boat to the ground like you nearly did....

Yank that motor and put it in a nice display case. As soon as you finish that, pick up the phone and order yourself a nice new fuel-injected crate motor and tranny from your favorite manufacture, and be done with it!

There, fixed!

I respectfully disagree. The 312 is a magical beast and the side drafts allow it to fit under the cover. Replacing it with a crate motor would be like ripping out its soul.

Thank you John,
I hate holes cut in the top of the dog houses!! It's so obvious that somethings under it that should not be there! The Y blocks are truly a legend as well as the AMC's with the YH's!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Jack what was the fire like? Was it contained to the carb or did it puke gas all over the place which then ignited? The fire extinguisher must have made a mess.

Bruce, as you can imagine it all happened very quickly. Instead of sitting at the dock and sliding the arrestor back on right away as has been my practice, the wind was being a pain so I eased it into reverse to get away from obstructions. What I think happened is that it backfired under load and belched a little gas out the open carb throat. This caught in the valley and in the back carb there is a small resevoir in the arrestor which ignited also. Honestly a quick snuff at this point with a towel or something would have taken care of it and not ruined the evening. Didn't have one but will always. The fire progressed while the guy was getting to the boat and got to the bilge. It started to chimney through under the seat and that is when it was put out. Good thing cause I do think it was on the verge of becoming exponentially worse or catastrophic as they say. There was quite a mess and the powder seems to be a bit corrosive so the cleanup time consuming but I have a handle on it and think I will be back on the water this weekend.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

I have been following this thread, as most of us have, since it started....

Now, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to old things....the more original the better...

But I gotta say, before you drop another penny in that damn motor, or worse yet, burn the damn boat to the ground like you nearly did....

Yank that motor and put it in a nice display case. As soon as you finish that, pick up the phone and order yourself a nice new fuel-injected crate motor and tranny from your favorite manufacture, and be done with it!

There, fixed!

I respectfully disagree. The 312 is a magical beast and the side drafts allow it to fit under the cover. Replacing it with a crate motor would be like ripping out its soul.

Thank you John,
I hate holes cut in the top of the dog houses!! It's so obvious that somethings under it that should not be there! The Y blocks are truly a legend as well as the AMC's with the YH's!

The dog house will be rebuilt soon. I want it to look like it should. I think it needs the stripes and yellow and mahogany stain like the rest of the deck don't you?
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 9:25pm
i'd build a flat head ford with offy parts   looks cool lowers the boat into the water like a rat rod win win.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

i'd build a flat head ford with offy parts   looks cool lowers the boat into the water like a rat rod win win.

I like the way you think Peter. How you going to cool that beast down now?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 10:55pm
You can do an an LS swap on an AC Cobra or Hemi Cuda and make much more power. It's all in the eye of the owner.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2016 at 11:43pm

You can do an an LS swap on an AC Cobra or Hemi Cuda and make much more power. It's all in the eye of the owner.

No worries Bubba I am just humoring Peter a little. Not touching it. You might want to buy it from me someday and I want to keep it pure.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 12:18am
Glad you were ok too Jack,nothing like that to get the heart pumping! I had a fire in a VW bug once,flames were coming out the louvers beneath the back window. Even so the extinguisher residue was a big part of the cleanup. I started buying the halon ones but now not sure you can get it anymore.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2016 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

No worries Bubba I am just humoring Peter a little. Not touching it. You might want to buy it from me someday and I want to keep it pure.

4-5 years from now who knows.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 9:39am
Does anyone know if the mechanical fuel pump I have in this boat will have the output to supply a four barrel carb?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 10:26am

Does anyone know if the mechanical fuel pump I have in this boat will have the output to supply a four barrel carb?

Jack,
What the "H" are you thinking about?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The 312 is a magical beast and the side drafts allow it to fit under the cover. Replacing it with a crate motor would be like ripping out its soul.

Thank you John,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 10:39am
Thinking about putting the side draft setup in the closet for the next owner and having a little fun with the boat with a safer setup.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 10:45am

Thinking about putting the side draft setup in the closet for the next owner and having a little fun with the boat with a safer setup.

That's what I was afraid of! So, you're going to hack the dog house? What is unsafe about YH's? I have NEVER had a problem. Maybe it's time to set the float levels properly? Also, as suggested, get the auto chokes back on so you don't need to pull that piece od safety equipment called the flame arrestor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 10:53am
Ya well Pete I agree with you except the doghouse has already been butchered. The manual choke has taken the place of the auto. I am pretty much a fatalist but I know when to step aside. Boating is supposed to be a pleasurable activity. Still a little undecided but I have all the parts and the boat was setup that way when it came to me. Perhaps had many good years with it before I got it. You have to admit the side drafts are not marinized and not very safe by comparison to marinized, right?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 4:05pm
Do what makes you happy Jack. I love the side drafts but it's not my boat. You should enjoy it as you please. It is beautiful and many, given the chance to own it, would not use it at all.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 9:37pm
Thanks John, Burton and I have two other of these old wood CC boats and I would like to spend some time working on those projects. This one has been taking all the boat time and not delivering the smiles per gallon. Time to reevaluate what I am doing. Had a nice run on Ricos Mustang last weekend and it got me to thinking that for a similar value to the Skier I could update to a glass ride and maybe get a little boating in. Food for thought.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 9:48pm
I have been on both sides of the fence Original or modernizing. my feeling is if you can put a smallblock ford or chev. with a dui ignition, marine holley or edelbrock or better yet injection modern charging transmission exhaust and gauges if you want   and you can do it withought making it hard to return to original. Do it    enjoy it drive it relax and don't worry about it letting you down.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 10:03pm
Small block ford is def a good fit, actually a little smaller so might help the doghouse sizing. Keeping an open mind is a good thing all due respects to Pete and others regarding originality. I think that way also but there can be exceptions.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 10:11pm
Jack,
Your intent is sound so please don't let my comments bother you. Peter really sums up what you can do:
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

you can do it withought making it hard to return to original. Do it   .

Keep us informed as you progress.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2016 at 10:25pm
My intent is not sound Pete but I am stepping back and reevaluating as I said.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 9:54am
They're just bolt ons, Jack and can be changed back anytime. The PO of our Classic swapped the side drafts for a 4 brl and it runs so well we've never thought about swapping it back. I wouldn't mind having a side draft set up on the shelve just to have. When you get busy with your other projects and your fin boat just sits in the garage, install the side drafts and you'll never have a problem with them.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 10:10am
Thanks Bruce for the input. I have made my best effort to keep things original and I feel going the safer route is best at this time. Glad to hear that your Classic has been swapped out and you like the result. Is that a AMC in it? Is there a two barrel or a four? My only concern at this point is that the mechanical fuel pump will support the carb I choose to go with. Agree that when the boat is no longer in regular use put the side drafts back on and never have a problem. I beginning to think some that own them do just that..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 10:22am

The PO of our Classic swapped the side drafts for a 4 brl and it runs so well we've never thought about swapping it back. .

And I've never had a problem with my YH's, rebuilt them once about 6 years ago and never have thought about swapping them out for a downdraft! Boat runs fantastic and still runs over 50.

Jack,
Bruce's Classic has a Y block in it. It's gorgeous!
Bruce,
Post a picture of it again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 10:26am
I am surprised you can get 50 out of that little boat but don't doubt your word Pete. I am curious as to how much you really use it during the season?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 10:30am
Pete, some people have no problems with them.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 10:35am
This engine has plenty of mods such as the chrome pulleys, inappropriate decals on the manifolds, wrong paint colors, and the 4 barrel conversion. It can all be change back to original easy enough, but it won't be while we own it.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 11:19am
I know I have seen your Classic, Bruce. It is a fine lookin boat. Thought it was a Yblock. Did the PO alter the box or did it fit? Seems the original fuel pump works fine with the four barrel.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 11:36am
Fuel pump should not be an issue. Our Classic was a basket case that did not have a motor box when we got it. We are using the glass box from the Cuda as we had to use a wood box for the Cuda when we converted the Cuda from a 318 to an FE Ford. I like the glass box in the Classic, but if we were going to build a wood box for the classic, I would copy one from the old brochures which have the raised center for the down draft carb.

Paul Waters has also converted his 312 to a downdraft and his engine is really nice, as has Alan in the Hurricane. The Edelbrock carbs aren't as popular as the Holleys, but they cost less and run great right out of the box.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2016 at 12:26pm

Paul Waters has also converted his 312 to a downdraft and his engine is really nice, as has Alan in the Hurricane. The Edelbrock carbs aren't as popular as the Holleys, but they cost less and run great right out of the box.

The Hurricane is a little different because the originals were downdrafts but I changed them for a better running, more stable/dependable alternative as well as adding some performance. Jack, I would have no problem changing to the downdraft especially if you're not happy with the current situation. If you can't enjoy the boat then why own it. Nothing worse than not trusting a boat, taking it out and waiting for it to act up is for the birds. Not enough Sundays in the summer to waste even one of them.

I do plan to leave the side drafts in #1 because the boat needs to be done as correctly as possible but it also won't be my daily driver so I can deal with a little old fashioned wrenching on it once in a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic