NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 14>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1960 Atom Skier Fin Boat Recondition
    Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:04am
Had a great visit today with Brian our resident fin boat enthusiast. I have been looking at his Atom Skier fin boat for some time and finally dropped him a line to see if it still was on the market. Though he had not been aggressively trying to sell he did still have it and as I was coming out here this month I decided to have a look. The rest is history. So, sometime in July I plan to drive west from CT and tow the newest acusition home, no small adventure in itself. Perhaps someone needs a boat taken west as it would be a shame to go out empty. More to come. Boat fever strikes again LOL.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 11:52am
Nice werk!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 1:04pm
Nice- nothing like a good road trip!

Wish you were coming back empty instead of heading out... Im sure I could find something that needs to be dragged back east.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 1:20pm
What a great road trip. You ought to grab this while your out there! I'd ask you to grab it for me, but I'm trying to have some self restraint and finish the project's we've got going.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320906864493?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

What a great road trip. You ought to grab this while your out there! I'd ask you to grab it for me, but I'm trying to have some self restraint and finish the project's we've got going.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320906864493?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

That's a fine looking power plant Bruce. What does restraint have to do with boat fever. Go ahead and pull the trigger I dare you. I need an excuse to visit an old Vietnam buddy in Cali.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:07pm
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/jwinnjr/5ed32241.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/jwinnjr/90c09845.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/jwinnjr/7d7fd428.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/jwinnjr/bc706db9.jpg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 2:10pm

FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 12:06am
What a great time visiting with Jack and his wife. This Atom has been sitting quietly under the carport waiting its turn in the shop. Jack is going to give it a great home and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Now I can get back to work on the '59 Atom. Maybe a reunion between the two restored boats at some point!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 2:55pm
While on the subject of fins I couldn't stop myself from taking this pic out on the Hood Canal. I know it's not a boat so inappropriate but here it is.....

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Nice- nothing like a good road trip!

Wish you were coming back empty instead of heading out... Im sure I could find something that needs to be dragged back east.

Ditto!!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3039512184.html

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 2:20pm
Good looking hot rod boat. Bet it would give one heck of a ride. Time to get a doubly tier boat hauler like on I saw years ago. Had a guy in CT that restored Cris Crafts and he had a boat hauler just for delivery of up to three boats. Our here in Seattle there are many interesting water craft. Th e hydroplane museum is on my bucket list this visit. Only a few days left here before I return to CT and get my van packed for the big ride.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 1:23pm
Road trip is in the works. Gona be a long one. The plan is to have the fin boat safely home in CT around the fourth of July. Maybe a bit later. I will stick to I90 most of the way though I am considering taking a loop around to see the bad lands and back through Sturgis. I would like advise from those who have hauled boats long distances and what to anticipate. The bearings will be serviced before leaving Seattle. I do plan to pack them at least once on the way back east also. Two new tires and rims will hopefully bolt on. These purchased recently from the tractor store.

Any advice?
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 1:41pm
Jack,
Ask Brian to get a set of Bearing Buddy's on the trailer hubs. You won't be putting it in the water when they are really needed but they will keep a constant supply of grease to the hub bearings on the road.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2012 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
Ask Brian to get a set of Bearing Buddy's on the trailer hubs. You won't be putting it in the water when they are really needed but they will keep a constant supply of grease to the hub bearings on the road.

Will do on that Pete. I think they may be on there already. I plan to drop new bearings on each side before heading out. Have been discussing the logistics of that with Brian and he has offered to check the wiring. I tell you I couldn't have bought a boat from a better person. There is a comraderie amongst CC owners the likes of which I've only experienced with my other hobby group which are the beekeepers. Started the motor vehicle department today to see about getting the stuff registered.
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 12:25pm
Here is how it traveled from Southern California to Seattle several years ago. I had no idea what the trailer condition was like and really did not want to take the chance since I only had two days to make the trip.

It does have bearing buddies on it now and I am going to be pulling them, cleaning it all up, check the axle and mounts, and then install all fresh so Jack is ready to just hook on and go. The trailer is really an well built unit and the boat sits really low so it should tow great. What a great circle route this little boat has taken. At some point it left Florida and made its way to LA, then up to Seattle, now headed East and eventually back to Florida. Oh the stories it could tell!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 1:28pm
Is the ole finner eastbound?!
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 4:48am
As of about 11:00am PST Jack and the little Atom Skier headed...South. Well at least for a little bit, just down to Portland and then hang a left on 84 and start the long journey East. Jack showed up last Friday with a new set of tires and some misc. tools and got the trailer all ready to go. The lights all worked and hitch sat nice and level behind his big Sprinter van. He was going to check the bearings at several stops today just to keep an eye on them. Hope he has a great trip and meets lots of Correct Craft Fans along the way. An old wood boat behind a truck at fuel stops has a funny way of eating up a lot of time!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 8:27am
Greetings from an Iowa rest stop. Free wifi at all rest stops here. Three days on the road east and many thumbs up from passers by. Bearing buddies are doing their job and if all goes well this package might just arrive on Saturday. Hit 100 deg. yesterday in Nebraska.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 8:34am
All thumbs up Jack!! Continue on and I wish the rest of the trip is uneventful as well. Yes, I knew the Bearing Buddy's would help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 12:06pm
That's a pretty cool looking project. I hope you post a lot of pictures documenting the restoration. The craftsmanship displayed on this site is outstanding from hurricanes to surfboards and everything in between.

David
86 Martinique
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2012 at 5:25pm
Little update, jack is now in Illinois on i80 with broken leaf spring, he did a quick fix and is still rollin eastbound!
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 1:37pm
Give a heads up nearing exit 45 on I-90 and if I'm around I'll come down and say HI and get some pics for you and the group.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Greetings from an Iowa rest stop. Free wifi at all rest stops here. Three days on the road east and many thumbs up from passers by. Bearing buddies are doing their job and if all goes well this package might just arrive on Saturday. Hit 100 deg. yesterday in Nebraska.

Wish I would have followed this thread closer. Sure would of tried to catch up with ya. It is still hot here!!!!
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 8:11pm
Heard dad is on CT soil! Can't wait to be introduced to the finner!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2012 at 9:32pm
Tis true, the fin boat has completed another epic journey along with it's new owner. Many thumbs up on the road all the way across the states a feeling I've only gotten once before and that when riding in my old pal's 1932 five window coupe rod. Any ways I tethered the two spring parts back together with my boat hold down strap and cinched the whole package together. Rode it and checked frequently until I built enough confidence to run several hundred. Went through some rough road avoiding tolls in Ind. and Ohio and beat the holy crap out of the set up all the time worrying the other side would let loose. Kept telling the trailer what a fine job it was doing an essential part of the outcome. I have a few pictures to post eventually of the finner in some states for proof lol.

This was an epic twelve day adventure to be sure!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 1:34am
Glad to hear you made it back relatively with no problems. What route did you take?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 2:29am
Good story about a very cute boat.
How many of these did they build. I very seldom see anything wood with fins. Amazingly, a guy I met several weeks ago pulled up to my dock today in a Yellowjacket with fins.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Glad to hear you made it back relatively with no problems. What route did you take?

I took int 80 from Penn. out to Omaha where I picked up 90 and ran it all the way to Seattle. For the return trip I took 5 south from Seattle to Portland where I got on 80 for the long ride back. Dropped down on 25 for an overnight visit in Fountain, Colorado, and then back up to 80 east to complete the trip. I took state road 20 along Indiana and Ohio to beat the approx. 50 bucks in tolls
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Good story about a very cute boat.
How many of these did they build. I very seldom see anything wood with fins. Amazingly, a guy I met several weeks ago pulled up to my dock today in a Yellowjacket with fins.

I like to think these fin boats are a bit rare. There sure aren't any around these parts. As for how many we're made that's a good question I would love to have the answer to. Regardless how many made there are fewer and fewer left of these old plywood boats because they just didn't last like the planked ones. This one has not been altered very much over the years with exception of the dog house made larger to cover the four barrel carb which replaced the two barrel set up. Brian did have the original carbs and he had them rebuilt, so I anticipate putting it back stock and a rebuild of the dog house. This should help the looks a lot.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2012 at 2:28pm
I inquired about this boat, it was calling out to me for some love. Possibly the right boat at the wrong time. Glad to see it is getting a good home.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 14>
  Share Topic