Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

99 SN GT40 Fuel Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:43am
the caps are the tall, can-like component. the tops should be flat, not bulged. capacitors fail quite often.   
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:47am
They are flat.
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 1:21am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Al it looks good no signs of water intrusion or oxidation. The earth tracks and power tracks on the board look OK from the pins out. The whole board is coated to aid in water resistance.

Put it all back together and see if you can the pumps to prime and the engine to start. It may take some tapping of the ECM or jiggling of ECM connector. After you get it to this stage turn off engine. Connect Code reader and see if you can get the code reader to run the KOEO tests and retrieve any stored Continuous codes. It may require the grounding of single STI wire we mentioned previously.
-------------------
Just to be sure, when I hook up the code reader, I plug in the triangular plug to the STO AND the single wire on the single plug, or just the STO? I jumpered the single wire earlier tonight, and it seemed to read, but I don't know if it was because I had no power through ECM.

I just put the ECM back on and plugged everything in, and the darn pumps PRIMED! My wife has a card party at our house tomorrow night, so probably won't be able to run it until Friday or weekend.
----------------------------

***EDIT***
I do not see any bulging in caps but it is hard to tell from a picture sometimes. Sometimes the plastic coating goes on thicker around components giving them a rounder appearance. The ECM may be the fault but let's try and get some fault codes out of it.

-----------------------
Yes I noticed some buildup, but it looked more like excess coating, sort of a paint run, than bumped up from damage..

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 1:36am
The larger triangular connector is the STO connect it to Code reader. If the code reader will not communicate with ECM with single STI wire connected to code reader(no link indicator on code reader) disconnect that single STI connector and ground with jumper as the code reader manual indicates. (Page 75)

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 11:52am
Al,
This video should help you with Code reader

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2012 at 6:56pm
Ok, pulled out in the driveway and started it up. Ran freaking like new. No hissing, pumps primed, etc., let it warm up and then took it up to 1500rpm and then razzed it and not a missed beat.   

Tried to hookup the code reader to get some KOER readings and although little tringle showed, it wasn't reading, so while engine was running at idle, I disconnected the single grey test lead and grounded it (BECAUSE IT WASN'T READING WITH IT CONNECTED TO READER). Oh boy, the engine jumped up several hundred rpms, started hissing immediately, and died... Looked like code 08 was being displayed, so it was reading a V8. I tried to recall from memory and nothing came back..

I tried to get some KOEO readings, and again, no readings with the single wire plugged into the reader, so I grounded it, and when I did, the pumps primed. Read 11 and 10, so zip and zip. When I unplugged the ground, the pumps primed again.

What the heck? Can the single test lead be tied into shutting the pumps and other stuff off? Or is this all another coincidence to throw me off track for the 20th time??? I THINK THE CODE READER TRIGGERS THE PUMPS WHEN ENGAGED, CORRECT?

Going off to study diagrams...

Went back out to see how it would run again. Started up ok, pumps primed, and idled for a while, took it up to 1500 and then hissing started, then shortly thereafter, missing, loping, and stalled. I could not make it run long enough to get any codes while running. I hooked up KOEO, and again, 11, 10, 11. All clear..   

I tapped on the back of the ECM with key on, and PUMPS PRIME everytime, it is comical..

I am betting the house on a bad ECM and will order one on Monday from the lowest bidder!

I don't know if heat plays a role, as it runs ok for a little when it is cold, then then crappy. I can't explain why it ran well in one of the videos I posted a while back, or why it REALLY ran well today when I started it up. Took rpms great, took throttle bursts without any skipping, like were present in the video, and then just crapped out and ran bad the rest of the time. Could not get it to run like the initial 5 minutes.. The last time I had run it a few days ago before I took the ECM off, it ran like crud, so why it started up like a beast today??

Any last minute thoughts??

Oh, the code reader doesn't really work unless I have it grounded on the battery. For whatever reason, the single wire has to be off and grounding to the block or motor frame doesn't cause the square box to pop up, only ground direct to battery. I am not sure this is significant or not, but would throw it out there..

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2012 at 10:52pm
Al with the engine running tests (KOER) it raises the rpms up and down a few times. I have a video or the KOER for future reference if you require.

Before going any further I would replace the ECM. I think your house is safe.

It would be nice to borrow one for a test. Once again wish I was closer could swap over ECM's and confirm it is the cause without spending $$$$$.

It sounds like you have a internal grounding problem in the ECM itself. The earth to start pumps and then the earth to code reader are the missing connections in ECM.

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2012 at 11:15pm
Well, the PCM Tech said that there was no test for the ECM, and you can only rule out everything else. I believe we have pretty much accomplished that.

I will order an ECM tomorrow and post results after it is installed.

I appreciate everyone's help out here. I have learned a lot more about the GT40. It has been a great running engine for 12 years, aside from a pump relay issue a couple seasons ago, I have put oil in it, new plugs, and the occasional impellor. So if I need to drop some bucks this year, I guess it will average out to be a pretty low cost over the long haul..

Weather is starting to warm up, so hope this is the fix!!

AB
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2012 at 12:44am
Lewy,

The unidentified wire I posted about comes off the 60 amp fuse. There is also a single brown or green wire that is not connected to anything. Hard to tell if it is a dead end wrap from the factory or if it goes somewhere, because the endof the wire is encased in a black fitting,mbut there is a hole at the end, like something could be plugged into it.

I have no idea what those wires are from schematics.
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 11:35pm
Well, the ECM came in direct from PCM. It was a freaking old ECM off of some other engine, not even the 300 model that I ordered from a dealer. They sent me a 290. The case on it looked like it was dragged around on the floor vs. mine that looks basically new, so no telling how many hours were on it.

A call to the dealer and he straightened it out with PCM and I am getting a new 300 sent my way.

PCM says that Ford stopped making them so they are getting very hard to get.

My question is: Is there a repair shop that could go through all the resistors etc., on the board and determine what is wrong with it, and repair it? This thing might be worth its weight in gold some day!!

I am going to pop the new "old" ECM on tomorrow hopefully, and see if it at least runs well in the driveway.
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2012 at 10:37pm
Started up the boat in the driveway with the new "used" ECM and it ran fine. No fluctuations in fuel pressure, gasping, or stalling out.

Its a bummer that there is no test to see what is wrong on the ECM. I think maybe someone who fixes televisions or radios, etc., might be able to determine what is wrong with the board and repair it.

Should get the new ECM 300 model later in the week. I will plug that in and take it to the lake for the real test!

Thanks for all the advise and ideas on this, it definetley helped me get to the core problem.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2012 at 11:27pm
Al was hoping all the way along it was not the ECM. You basically have to prove everything else is OK before replacing. I doubt your dealer would have been as logical in fault finding before deciding to just swap out ECM.

Just think what the dealer would have charged you to fix the problem.

There must be a business in the US that repairs auto ECMs. As the GT40 is a Ford auto based solution they use the same ECM (EEC1V) but with a slightly different "program" stored in the PROM (Programable Read Only Memory). If you can find this company send your old computer there for repair. Make sure that they send your original one back.

89 Ski

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2012 at 11:57pm
While not related my Dads Lincoln electronic dash went out completely,he went to the dealer they said sorry no parts available to fix it,they would just replace the whole unit if they could get it. I did a web search and found a place that would fix it for 275. I pulled it out sent it in and it took them a week and has a year warrenty. Maybe there is someone who is out there to fix them but don't expect a dealer to find them,you'll have to do the leg work.

Doing a quick search here is a place that says that they will repair and return your ecm if they don't have one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
the good ag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the good ag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 7:13pm
OK all, this has been very informative and helpful but I've got a variance of the problem going on right now.   

I do not get the hi pressure pump buzz, to make it even more interesting after working on it last week I got back to it today. Did nothing but said to myself "let's give this a try" , there it was the hi pressure pump buzz we all know and love, did it 3 times and all is good, put the water on the engine and started the engine right up.   Then about 4 minutes later motor dies and I can not get the high pressure pump to go any more.   

I have tried putting new relays, I tried the jumper suggested above, no go.   Circuit breakers look good, kill switch is in place.   I'm positive this is something easy if I can just find it.

Look forward to hearing your ideas.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2014 at 9:40pm
If the low pressure pump runs but the high pressure does not with EEC STO jumpered.

1. Check connections and verify voltage at high pressure pump connector.
2. If that all checks out replace high pressure pump.

89 Ski

the good ag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the good ag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 8:56am

Replaced the hi pressure pump,   no wonderful little hum of the hi pressure pump.   Read some more around here and thought what the hell let's play with the man overboard kill switch.   Bingo

All is good with the kill switch bypassed.   

Sidenote - threw away volt meter that showed power to hi pressure pump, when it obviously was not getting power due to the kill switch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic