NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

318 not cooling

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 318 not cooling
    Posted: April-07-2012 at 1:37am
Does anyone have a pic or diagram of the cooling system on a 1969 318 chrysler. I can make it cool with a garden hose attached but when put in the water it doesn't pump enough to cool motor Impellers look good and no obvious leaks. Any ideas?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 2:04am
Here's a few photos of how I have it plumbed.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 9:15am
The manual with all the plumbing diagrams is in the reference section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 9:31am
Bill, those engines have a convoluted cooling system! This is an older model engine than yours, but this photo may be helpful. The through hulls are on opposite sides as yours, the 90 degree is starboard and the one with the vertical and horizontal inlet is on the port.

The forward inlet to the water pump goes to the horizontal inlet on the port side. The rearward waterpump hose goes to the 90 degree inlet on the starboard side. The hose coming out the top of the engine goes to the port inlet that goes straight up.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 10:00am
Bruce

You are exactly right! They are a bit convoluted. Your picture does look a good bit different. I am hoping the fact that the impellers look good they are good. Might try it without thermostat for a bit to see if that helps.

Thanks

Pete

I have been through those manuals more than i care to admit. I agree there are some diagrams but they are just not the "one size fits all"......
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 10:33am
Bruce

After thinking about your post I may have my inlet hoses on the thru hull t switched around. I wonder if that makes a difference? I will look later. Thanks
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 10:38am
Hope you get it figured out. The engine sure is looking good!
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 11:10am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Bruce

You are exactly right! They are a bit convoluted. Your picture does look a good bit different. I am hoping the fact that the impellers look good they are good. Might try it without thermostat for a bit to see if that helps.

Thanks

Pete

I have been through those manuals more than i care to admit. I agree there are some diagrams but they are just not the "one size fits all"......

I don't know if "convoluted" is a good term. All I know is Chrysler did have their "own way" of cooling. Yes, there are several cooling system diagrams. The key is looking at the model number of your engine.

The T stat removal is not the answer to the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 5:36pm
Bill, I would think that connecting the right hoses to the right through hulls is most important. Perhaps your impellers are shot, but I'd double check your connections. If you didn't understand my description, give me a call at 207 272 six 0 nine 6.

The bigger, older manual is for the vintage engine in my pic, about 1966/67. That 225HP manual is for a newer engine, I think around a 1970.

Pete, if convoluted isn't a good term, how about "screwed up" like the Chris Craft 427's and not simple like the Interceptors and PCMs?
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 7:34pm
Double check your intake hose off the bottom thru hull pick-up,check your KEY on the raw water pump,your impeller can be new but if it's not spinning you will not get flow.The water hose pressure will cool it just from the house pressure flowing through.My 67 Barracuda was a learning experience in cooling !!!!! Good Luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 9:11pm
The purpose of the thermostat is to keep the engine warm, at it's operating tempurature, not to keep it cool.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, if convoluted isn't a good term, how about "screwed up" like the Chris Craft 427's

Bruce,
I don't know if Chris learned the cooling plumbing from Chrysler or if it was the other way
around!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2012 at 10:08pm
After messing with again today.....convoluted is the correct term.

And after further review...I am going to order a rebuild kit for the Sherwood's. Cools well at speed and has plenty of water. No forward motion=no water movement. The impellers look good but appear to be "set" and not flapping back. Oh she drives a bit different than the 04 too!!!! everyone on the lake is ready to hear it go by.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 10:49am
Bruce

Where did you get The short formed hose that leaves the top of the front pump and goes to the block?   I must not be looking in the correct places. Mine was described by a buddy as being a sad little short hose......and we all know where a description like that could get a guy in trouble.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 10:50am
Forgot to mention impellers are on the way via boat dr. Thanks Billy.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2012 at 11:20am
Bill, Those hoses all came on the engine and I haven't replaced any of them. The short little stubby one looks like it's been replaced, so maybe NAPA or someone else has them.
hmill24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmill24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 9:54pm
Hello I have a quick question....I have the same engine the 318 chrysler for my correct craft...I am in need of the part number of the hose that comes off circulating pump and goes to the thermostat...greatly in need. Thanks Hayley
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2012 at 10:09pm
Haley,
There were several versions though many years of the 318. One of the biggest changes was the T stat housing and the hoses going to and from. You must fill us in on more details and yes, we demand pictures!!!

The best bet with th hose is to just go to your local auto supply and see what they have. You will probably need to get a longer pre mold and cut a section out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2012 at 12:19am
I would agree. Probably going to have to fabricate one. Pictures would help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic