NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mustang SS funeral and burial.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mustang SS funeral and burial.
    Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:48pm
I have almost finished stripping the hull of my 69 Mustang SS. By May 1 it will take it's last drive to the County G landfill where it will be unceremoniously run over by a huge steel wheeled Caterpillar compactor. The beat up #2 trailer will then go over the scales for scrap value.
I don't see any value in the boat or trailer, if anyone is interested in them come and get it!
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 8:47am
John , I'm still in Florida but if there is no hole in the gunnel by the driver where the morse control is on mine could you take a saws all and cut it out so i candid the hole in mine when I move my control? Thx
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 11:33am
John, just because it's lived its useful life, doesn't mean the hull is no longer art. Find a place in your yard to park it and leave it there. You'll appreciate it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

and cut it out so i candid the hole in mine when I move my control? Thx

Gary,
Is your right arm too short or too long?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

John, just because it's lived its useful life, doesn't mean the hull is no longer art. Find a place in your yard to park it and leave it there. You'll appreciate it.

It's a little big for a planter.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 1:07pm
I'm not into planters because they require maintenance, but we've got plenty of planters in Maine a lot bigger than that!

I've got a 66 hull I cannot bear to bring to the dump. As long as it's still sitting there, it's still got a chance at life someday.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 7:26pm
JUST CURIOUS-I've revived many cars and boats owners have written off-Why are you crushing it???????? Is it in two or many pieces???? Post a pic-Thanks.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 8:14pm
John, is the Mrs pressuring you to get it out of the yard? I'll be making a trip up the Crandon this spring at some point and would be willing to make them disappear!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

John, is the Mrs pressuring you to get it out of the yard? I'll be making a trip up the Crandon this spring at some point and would be willing to make them disappear!

It's yours! I am keeping the guide posts and bow stop from the trailer though.
Do you still want the Nautilex?

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 12:14am
Absolutely! I'm making a trip to Chicago next week. Not sure if we're flying or driving. I'll give ya a call tomorrow.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 12:05pm
Phew! Glad to see that blue hull receive a stay of execution.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 12:47pm
This beauti is available for free if anyone wants to come get it.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:22pm
John, sorry I didn't call yesterday...we were out enjoying the spring weather! I'm headed to Woodridge IL tomorrow afternoon for work on Wednesday and Thursday. Let me know if you can meet up tomorrow evening, it's a travel day for me so my schedule can be flexible.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:34pm
Woodridge is not far from my home, however I am at my cottage in northern Wisconsin right now. I will be home Wednesday. Maybe we can hook up in the evening.
Here's a primer. You can see the spot where I cleaned up the transom last year to see how it would look wet handed and polished. Not bad! I am happy it is being saved too.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:55pm
John, I'll give you a call over lunch if you're free. Is there any chance you'd be able to drag it down to Chicago? If so, I will opt out of a rental car and bring my vehicle over. We can talk details over lunch (arranging wheels/tries, bearings etc). If it's possible I won't arrange a rental this morning.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 5:23pm
I can't tow it home, I don't trust the tires. It also cuts my mileage from 35 to 19-20mpg.
Give me a call, we can hook up Wednesday for the Nautalex.

cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 9:13pm
Speaking of Mustangs I found this today:
Ebay
Same boat?
CCF
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 10:48pm
Not by a long shot. I tried to contact the owner to see if he would sell it, no response. The post hasn't been updated since 2005.
I dreamed about this one, Gary's, and Vondy's. They have set the bar very high.

cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 10:56pm
The registration numbers look the same: "FL 3491 M?". The diary shows Ocoee, FL and the one on ebay shows Tifton, GA. Thats 249 miles, just a hop, skip and a jump. I tried to contact the owner in the diary and mailer-daemon returned it as undeliverable. Contacted the guy on ebay but he has not responded.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 11:19pm
I thought I saw in an earlier post that it is the same... heres what I found in Ebay finds......

Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Mostly Complete 69 Mustang Sounds like he's having some engine electrical issues. SS? It has the center console.

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

It saddens me deeply to report that it is this boat here which was one of the earliest entries in the CCF diaries. (that date showing is an update) When I first got on this site in Jan 2004*, looking for a 60s mustang, that boat caught my eye. At the time I thought florida was just too far away. (My how things have changed around here) I had always liked the SSs since seeing the one in the 66 brochure that pictured the mustang we had when I was a kid. That boat has had a tough life these past 8 years.

old thread

*For those of you checking and questioning the conflicting start dates, see "Larry" 1/8/2004. Changed my name (albiet incorrectly) after picking up the Tique.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 11:41pm
You said it's had a rough 8 years, I didn't get any photos with the eBay post.. Those Nicson manifolds look really sweet on it, possibly better than the H/Ms, but then, it's not original.

FL doesn't sound too far to me, I drove from Chicago to Gulfport MS just to look at a Mustang (many other places too).
I too wanted a or 69. I'm not sure why, maybe because I started high school in 68/69. Heck of a time, the Vietnam war, riots, Woodstock, man on the moon, sex and drugs and rock and roll, and just the year, 69. I settled for the 70. It looks the same to me except the data plate moved to a position by the throttle and looks official.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Do you know where that blue boat is? You said it's had a rough 8 years.
FL doesn't sound too far to me, I drove from Chicago to Gulfport MS just to look at a Mustang (many other places too).
I too wanted a or 69. I'm not sure why, maybe because I started high school in 68/69. Heck of a time, the Vietnam war, riots, Woodstock, man on the moon, sex and drugs and rock and roll, and just the year, 69. I settled for the 70. It looks the same to me except the data plate moved to a position by the throttle and looks official.

Larry's the one that said its had a rough 8 years... he may know about the boat and its history?

The Ebay post says its now in Tifton GA.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2012 at 11:56pm
The current owner responded to my email, I asked if he new if the stringers/floor had been replaced and if it was indeed the same boat from the diaries. He said nothing about the diary question but said he did not know about the stringers but "The floor is solid". I dont know how much he wants for it, the reserve has not been meet and the bid is up to $455.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:02am
If only my 70 was a 69 and had a colored hull it would be exactly what I wanted. I have thought about doing the upholstery similar to the FL boat when I get my seats someday. It may not be original, but it sure looks sharp, and you can always change it back. That is the only detail that has me considering veering off of originality road. I believe Vondy's has some insets in his seats too.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:03am
It's the same boat. It's had enough mods so that it's unique.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:06am
Originally posted by cphase cphase wrote:

I dont know how much he wants for it, the reserve has not been meet and the bid is up to $455.

It was on Ebay last week. Bid went to almost $2800. wonder if deal fell thru?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 12:10am
Its up to $860 now.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 11:41am
As Larry and Bruce pointed out, its definitely the same boat. Lots of unique (non-original) details make it pretty easy to spot.

Bidding reached $2500 the first time it went up. Looks like he's trying to eek just a little more out of it, but having trouble. My bet is that he wont reach the $2500 point again. Its a $1000-1500 boat by the looks of it.

John, I believe 2-tone seats would have been original on a '69-70 Mustang, most Ive seen have been equipped as such. The designs Ive seen were consistent with the Ski Nautique shown in the '71 brochure (note the back seat... the fronts would have matched).

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

John, I believe 2-tone seats would have been original on a '69-70 Mustang, most Ive seen have been equipped as such. The designs Ive seen were consistent with the Ski Nautique shown in the '71 brochure (note the back seat... the fronts would have matched).

Really, on the 69? It has always been my assumption that the 69's were typically solid, the 70 often 2-tone... now I have to go back and check the diaries...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2012 at 11:58am
The big wood based buckets were primarily monotone, as far as I can tell. The fiberglass buckets seemed to be 2-tone more often than not. I can only recall seeing a few monotone '69-70 buckets. The 71+ buckets were often monotone... but I attribute that to the fact that they were most commonly installed in their budget boat (Skier), and thus less fancy.

Either way, it'll be tough to be 100% sure of anything- most '69's would have had their interiors replaced by now (likely several times).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic