NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Inspection Video

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer Inspection Video
    Posted: March-17-2012 at 7:34pm
Hey guys, I threw this video together today as I had the floor up replacing the fuel line before I head down to the River Run and was able to bring home a training aid to help demonstrate. Seeing as how there have been allot of new members interested in purchasing an older boat here lately and not sure what to look for I thought this might be a great how to video to explain what you are looking and listening for. Let me know what you think.

Boat Stringer Inspection

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 8:25pm
Nice video, seeing and hearing will be more instructive than reading for buyers that don't have all the knowledge many have on this site.
Thanks for posting.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 8:51pm
Great Info----The MoFoot

Yes look at it again
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 9:13pm
Almost didn't recognize you w/o the hat.

...those who have fallen and those who will.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 9:32pm
Good video Tim,
We've got tap out coins, itty-bity hammers,sonic testers ect...
but I still like my illegal pocket knife best.

Are you going to make it to White Lake this year ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 10:38pm
Great video!
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 11:31pm
Awsome video Mr Moroot.The video was in detail to stringers and what to look for. Thank you..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 12:20pm
Great video, Tim!

Good to know the difference between a delam and a disbond, I know I learned something today!

The only thing that I noticed that might confuse someone is that on a cradled boat, you dont actually want to check the motor mount bolts to see if they spin. The bolts actually going through the mounts are through bolted to the aluminum cradle only and dont go into the stringers- if you feel underneath the lip of the cradle you can feel the backing nuts. The bolts you want to check for tightness on a cradled bolts are the other vertical bolts, which are lagged into the stringers. Your statement holds true for the non-cradled boats though, as those boats have their mounts lagged directly in.

Good job!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 12:37pm
Great video Tim! Sounds like your stringers are A.O.K.! See you in a few days.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 12:53pm
Nice video...I'm sure many will learn from your work here. Thanks!
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 1:31pm
Very nice sir!

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The only thing that I noticed that might confuse someone is that on a cradled boat, you dont actually want to check the motor mount bolts to see if they spin. The bolts actually going through the mounts are through bolted to the aluminum cradle only and dont go into the stringers- if you feel underneath the lip of the cradle you can feel the backing nuts.

Yes sir you are correct! The engine mounts are thru bolts on a cradled engine and not lags. I didn't think about that while Sydney was shooting the video. I just kinda threw that in there at the end without rehearsing it. Thanks for pointing that out Tim

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Waterdog.....don't know yet. guess it depends on time and $$$.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Slupe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 6:51pm
Excellent video - thank from one of the newbie's asking all the questions.   Anyone know if the floor of the Martinique lifts out and provides the same access to the stringers?   I as assuming you just had to check what you could access under the engine cover.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 7:10pm
I'll have to watch it again, I was watching the finger in the top left corner.    The aluminum cradle that Tim B mentioned, don't the horizontal bolts go into the stringer?
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 10:18pm
Tim,
Excellent vid! Thanks for the great addition.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:44am
Great work Tim....one to put in my favorites
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

The aluminum cradle that Tim B mentioned, don't the horizontal bolts go into the stringer?

Not all cradles have horizontal lags... though most seem to have been drilled to accomodate them. My '90 only had vertical lags installed.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 2:32pm
My '85 had both vertical and horizontal installed.
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 7:09pm
Tim and any others,

Can a disbond occur w/out water infiltration? And if so what would cause that?
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 9:00pm
Great video, Tim! Thanks to people like you who take the time to post such valuable information. By the way, the cleanliness of that bilge reminds me of work that needs to be done on mine.

A couple of observations and questions for you:
1. In addition to this video, It'd be awesome if there were some pictures posted of what a delam or disbond on these boats looks like. I've noticed cracks on alot of these seem to show up at that crossmember board that spans the main stringers. Also, cracks seem to show up at the top corners of the stringers where the stringers actually corner into floor. There not that hard to find on most of the old boats, but if you've never seen them and don't really no what you're looking at, they could be missed. Just a suggestion.

2. Is it reasonable to think that the most likely place for rot/delam/disbonding to occur might be the stringer area between the front of the engine and kickboard under the dash? Since there's plywood spanning the entire beam of the hull in that area and since that area is the place where soft spots seem to be prevalent, it seems reasonable to think there might be rot there before anywhere else. What do you all think? You also have the battery box up there which also seems to harbor moisture b/c of the poor drainage setup.

Again, great video. Thank you for taking the time.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by MAN - GA MAN - GA wrote:

Can a disbond occur w/out water infiltration? And if so what would cause that?

Mark, Yes a disbond can occur without water intrusion. The panel that I used to demonstrate what you are listening for was scrapped because of the large area of disbond and we can not fix it. It was caused by excessive heat from the engine that caused the glue to fail therefore causing the fiberglass portion to disbond from the honey core. There is no fix and calls for total replacement which we manufacture in house in our dept.

Disbonds can be caused by several things, Moisture trapped between the glass and wood causing the epoxy to break down. Resin wasn't mixed properly and eventually failed (highly unlikely in boats), Excessive heat breaking down the resin, Stress forces exceeding on the area more than what the resin can withstand. Blunt trauma to a concentrated area causing stress. (like a 15 lb anchor slipping out of your hand), Slightest bit of water gets in and freezes causing the disbond.

That's all I can think of but I think you get the point. Bottom line is I think the the main reason stringer rot occurs is water intrusion. Boats left out in the elements uncovered is just bad all around. Water will find a way in there eventually so do what you can to prevent it.
I do realize "It's a Boat" and it's supposed to get wet but dry it out as best you can at the end of the day.

Steve,
Good points on both. The cracks at the top of a stringer with a web connecting the left and right primary stringers is a good place to loof and if you have them they should be sealed up with epoxy to prevent water intrusion. In the video I had the ratchet and demonstrated using it to tap test so that you can use it or a light hammer and tap test as far up under the floor as your arm can reach. Good points and those who've done stringer jobs can verify the condition of the stringers towards the bow. Thanks for pointing that out.
Gluvs2brd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gluvs2brd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2013 at 2:02pm
Much appreciated! Great video!
wallowater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallowater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 11:38pm
Great video and helpful information. Looking to purchase an older boat and will definitely be doing this test!

Thanks!
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 1:57am
I saw someone state that in 89 CC went to epoxy over poly ester. Would this be true for my 89 Martinique?
I believe the stringers are good.
~850hrs, bought in NH, 3rd owner since ~600 hrs.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
83jobeskis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83jobeskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 2:10am
That is an excellent video. I will be checking my boat out again tomorrow. Thank you!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2013 at 9:40am
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

I saw someone state that in 89 CC went to epoxy over poly ester. Would this be true for my 89 Martinique?
I believe the stringers are good.
~850hrs, bought in NH, 3rd owner since ~600 hrs.

I recalled a thread a while about the resins CC used in building their boats and TRBenj responded with this......

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Vinylester is a good resin. CC used it to build their hulls from '89 to '92 (AME4000). Pretty sure the stuff they use now (AME 5000) is a vinyl-epoxy blend. Prior to '89, they used poly.

Thanks for the positive responses guys and I'm glad this has helped y'all out in determining what condition your stringers are in, or ones in a CC that your looking at purchasing.
GeoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2021 at 10:59am
Found this nice old video. I’m new to a 1985 SN and boating. A retired old guy now.

Stringers run fore an aft. Just forward of the muffler trench is a beam that runs port and starboard.

During my end of season prep I was spraying gunk out of the bilge. I noted pooled water at this joint, found clogged drain holes and cleared them. The trench now drains.

Well, while spraying some white paint exposy popped off the cross beam and exposed wet rotted wood.

Is this an important brace?

This weekend I’ll be back with the boat and will do the video knock inspection on all the wood and see what is up.

I’m not clear as to the extent of the rot and I have no clue as to the repair process, if needed.

Any updated comments on this old topic?
Geo
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2021 at 11:59am
Originally posted by GeoB GeoB wrote:

Just forward of the muffler trench is a beam that runs port and starboard.

If it’s the piece i think you’re talking about, Its not structural.
Its there to support the removable floor panel that covers the driveshaft area.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2021 at 5:53am
That guy hasn't aged a day in almost a decade.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2021 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

That guy hasn't aged a day in almost a decade.

Wow...Thanks Mike but Oh yes he has......He's lost  a lot more hair and gained a few more wrinkles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic