NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Ski Nautique Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2013 at 6:04pm
Chris,

I have done some research on those sleeves ( I dont have any experience with them) and I have a couple of questions. Have you or any one else out there used one for the harmonic balancer? Also I have seen some videos and its seems there is a lip that rides behind the seal. If this is the case how can I get it behind the seal? I'm also assuming I can do this with the timing cover still on!

Thanks Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2013 at 9:23pm
I used one years ago on my Chevy truck.

The surface was way worse than yours & it never leaked a drop after the fix.

Is the lip you mentioned like this?:

If so, I had put that away from the seal (towards the balancer).

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2013 at 10:02pm
Allen,
That lip is needed to install the sleeve. The body (where the seal rides) is very thin so the lip gives you a surface to use the installation tool to drive the sleeve on.

Chris is correct. They do work. I've used maybe 6 or 7 of them over the years and never had a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2013 at 12:24am
Sweet, Thanks guys for the input. I will locate one next week and see how it goes. I will update yall.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 4:45pm
All right guys, I have gotten my sleeve and seal kit to fix my oil leak. But as you all know there is always a catch. I opened the box and noticed that the seal has wick lines in it similar to the rear end of the crankshaft. I purchased another seal that does not have those lines in it just in case. I check my seal in the boat, which came with the "felpro marine 351 gasket kit" it also had the same wicking lines. I know someone posted that seal are not rotation specific but this surely doen't look right to me. What do yall think. I have posted pictures of both seals here.

Here is the one with the wicking lines.

Here is the one with out.

Thanks Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 5:09pm
If the crank is turning clockwise (right rotation) the top one will pump the oil out.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 5:29pm
Thats what looked funny to me and I email Tim and he mentioned the same. I think I am going to go with the one without the wick lines.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2013 at 5:50pm
I got a Felpro set from Summit and threw away the front and rear main seals and ordered those and an intake gasket from SKIDIM. Worked out cheaper than getting the whole PCM kit. The PCM set is nicer, but I figured with 1000hrs on the motor it won't be the last time I will need a new set.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 2:52pm
Well guys we made a little progress yesterday. M Mabe was gracious enough to come over and help. We got most of the running gear installed. Got the engine cradle installed and started on the carpet. Oiled up the swim platform and polished all the metal.

We will get back at it tomorrow.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 3:18pm
Looks great! Must be nice to have CCFans close!
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Yeah it is very nice! I met Marty through this site and he has helped me on several projects.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 7:49pm
I have a question.. it's ok to tie the steering cable to the stringer as long as there is slack to allow for some movement? My Tique came with the cable running along the floor unattached..
'82 Ski Tique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 11:16pm
That will work!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2013 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

I have a question.. it's ok to tie the steering cable to the stringer as long as there is slack to allow for some movement? My Tique came with the cable running along the floor unattached..

It is fine as long as it has free movement as the rudder arm moves. My plan id to have no wires or cables running on the floor. I think that it will look nicer and keep them functional for a longer period of time.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 1:23am
I was hoping to keep everything off the floor, but the steering cable and one of the V drive cooling hoses have no other place to go.   The middle of the steering cable might sit in water, but the end is the part to try and keep dry. I had the luxury of test fitting everything first and got the end as high as I could. I would like it even higher, but everything I tried caused it to run into something. With it adjusted correctly it doesn't move around so I wouldn't worry about securing it if it was close to something.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 5:51am
Thanks fellas   
'82 Ski Tique
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 8:53am

Ditto, Looks great. And yes sometimes you need the extra set of hands but other times it's just the motivation that someone that can testify to your work is coming by and it's time to put your A game on and things done
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 9:32am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Ditto, Looks great. And yes sometimes you need the extra set of hands but other times it's just the motivation that someone that can testify to your work is coming by and it's time to put your A game on and things done

You make a good point. I have done about 95% of this work right by my self but i is very hard install the running gear without that extra set of hands. However, when someone does come over either to help or just check it out, it does motivate me to work a little harder. Its also nice to hear from other CCFans that its looking good, it keeps me going. I need that some times because I am TIRED.

Thanks Guys
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 12:23am
Well the progress has been slow. Been doing a lot of work on others boats. I will be setting the engine on Saturday so I have been getting ready for that. I hope the weather holds out and we can get it in with little trouble.

I did get the two ring and fingers back from Courtesy Metal today. Take a look at one of the before pics and then after.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 11:02pm
Well the rain set in pretty good today, so I had to work mostly in the garage. I was able to get all the panels done in the bow.

I also went ahead and bit the bullet and purchased an ACME 540. It looks pretty nice on that new ARE Shaft.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2013 at 11:06pm
Glad they did a nice job on your rings and fingers. Seems the turnaround was pretty fast.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 1:32am
Hatterbee, I might have missed this somewhere in the thread, what is the round hole for just rear of the battery box. I added that to my tique for an additional bilge pump and access forward of pylon bulkhead. Just curious..

“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 4:21am
Just read through this whole thread! Amazing job so far man, I love the old Nautiques!!!
74SkiNautique
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 10:33am
Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

Hatterbee, I might have missed this somewhere in the thread, what is the round hole for just rear of the battery box. I added that to my tique for an additional bilge pump and access forward of pylon bulkhead. Just curious..

That hole is there (I'm guessing) to give access to the forward tracking fin bolts. However, in my redesign it has given me better access to installing a transducer for my gauge style depth finder and the u-bolts for mounting the pylon on the new engine cradle. In my boat the hole is under the observers seat so you can't really see it once the seats are in.

Thanks for asking.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 10:37am
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

Just read through this whole thread! Amazing job so far man, I love the old Nautiques!!!

Thanks Chris,

It has definitely been a labor of love. I have learned so much about these boats and life in general. I am excited that it is finally coming together and I can see some of the fruits of my labor. Hopefully the engine will go in tomorrow.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 8:11pm
Well a big thanks to Marty Mabe who came over to get the engine installed today.

Got her all lined up and in, now just to hook everything else up, finish the removable panel and then the water.

The engine sits a little more to port than starboard but I'm fairly certain it was like that before.

Thanks again to all the help I have gotten you guys on here, I would not be where I am today without your help. If I ever get a chance to meet yall the first round is on me.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

The engine sits a little more to port than starboard but I'm fairly certain it was like that before.

An alignment should handle that. You have plenty of adjustment in the engine mounts. One reminder is alignment starts aft at the strut. If the engine was "like that before", then maybe it was misaligned. Keep the shaft pretty close to center in the log when the shaft is "happy" in the strut/cutlass.

Marty is the man!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 11:24pm
Yeah Pete, I didnt notice until the stringers were in that they are off center from the log that is. They were replaced in the same spot as the originals (I am sure of that). But I made the new stringers a little wider with the added glass and then added the cradle after the fact. I would have factored in the cradle if I had known about it then.

So when we got the strut lined up it was pretty true to the engine sitting all the way port which is in its happy place. It lined up good and the shaft turns free but it sits toward the port side of the log. It doesnt touch and I dont think there is any reason it would either.

I'm pretty happy at how it has all turned out. Thanks
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 1:52am
Well guys after three years of working on the ’77 SN I finally got to put it in the water. Went to White Lake on Saturday to do a water test. I have never had this boat in the water and I would say the venture was a SUCCESS!! I have a few tuning issues to work out but all in all I am HAPPY. I will give you guys a rundown on the things that seem funny to me and see what y’all think.

1.     I’m not sure if I have an overheating problem or not. Just sitting in the water idling and some light revs the temp stayed around 150 or so (I really think I have the 160 degree thermostat in there but I’m not 100%). When I would get on it, it would rise very quickly to about 180 or 190. I would stop at this point and it would cool down. I put my IR thermometer all over the block and heads and the block would be close to 200 and the heads about 240 (this was around the exhaust manifold). The intake manifold was very close to the Temp gauge. Is it normal for the block and heads to be that much warmer? Could I have a circulation problem?
2.     Timing seems to be a little off and might be the reason for most of the other issues I will list. My initial timing is 14 and at 3000 RPM its only 24. Tim says it should be around 36 or so. I can only get about 30 MPH (Acme 540 wheel) at 4500 RPM. I never got over 4500 because it would backfire and I just didn’t want to push it.
3.     Many of you know about the noise in the transmission and it is still there but didn’t seem to affect it at all in my opinion. It definitely makes a ruckus. I will look into rebuilding maybe over the winter.
4.     I cant get the shaft or rudder packing to leak at all. I can loosen the cap nuts and water will start coming through the threads but as soon as I tighten the jam nut it stops. Neither one seemed to get hot though.
5.     Once the engine heated up and after a few runs of higher RPM’s the carb started to drip a little from the rear jets causing it to flood after shutdown and to raise the idle. I really think the engine is running rich as well. I will call the guy who worked on it and ask him what he thinks. It worked fine for a while and didn’t leak until after I used it a while.

Thanks for all who have helped. Marty Mabe has come over many times to help. Many of you have offered ideas and solutions. Tim you are awesome and this project would not be this nice without your foresight, and willingness to help a complete stranger.

I will try to post a small video of it running later.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:18am
1.) Might just be a thermostat problem. But, also, the thermostat doesn't control the water going to the exhaust manifolds, so they should always be getting water. Hmmm, I'd check to make sure you don't have any restrictions anywhere in the water supply, like in the tranny cooler etc.

2.) On the speed, are you sure your speedos are correct, have you GPS'd it?

4.) Depending on what kind of packing you have in there, it may not really leak. I don't think the modern goretex stuff really does much. Of course, there's always the dripless setups. The rudder is fine not to leak anyway, cause that's not rotating constantly like the driveshaft. Long story short, you're probably fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic