NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 32>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build
    Posted: February-04-2012 at 9:40pm
Hey guys, new to the forum and new Correct craft owner! Just won the ebay auction tonight!!!

Not sure if this is the correct place to post a build thread so mods, feel free to move it.

What we have here is a 1965 Mustang with a 351w in it! Interior looks to be junk, stringers prob have some rot but the engine runs well and the hull is in ok shape.

My career has been restoring interiors and hulls on all sorts of old boats, now I finally get to do my own!

Anybody know how to pull pictures off of Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=130638411374&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2012 at 10:43pm
NG,
Take some time to explore CCfan. Welcome to the site. Yes, we love pictures.

Pictures off ebay? well, I imagine you would first need to copy them to your computer and then to the site.
Please explain what you mean by "custom". Here at CCfan, most of our members prefer original. If you deviate, you may be better off at a different site. Sorry! "custom"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2012 at 10:58pm
proper link

Cool find, I think you got a good price but have a long way to go. Sounds like you need to start with the stringers, a big job you will want to do yourself but it sounds like you have the skills. Read up and ask questions. There is lots of experience, so no need to re-invent the wheel and no excuse to not do it right. Welcome and enjoy your classic boat.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2012 at 11:17pm
Welcome to the site. Looking forward to seeing your progress! You'll get plenty of help, ask away.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2012 at 11:19pm
looks like a good start to a project for the right money , good luck with it and dont be afraid to ask questions on here.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2012 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrosherd 8122pbrosherd wrote:

NG,
If you deviate, you may be better off at a different site. Sorry!

Come on Pete!!! He's welcome here whatever he wants to do with HIS boat. That can get really old after a while. I am often compelled to extol the virtues of originality of OTHER peoples work but then I ask myself two questions.

Is it my boat?

Did he ask my opinion about keeping it original?

If the answer to either of those is NO then I keep my mouth shut.

I hate to crab at you Pete, because I consider you a friend and dont want to jeopardize that and I do really respect your passion for original and the fact that you have more knowledge in your little finger than I will ever have, but it doesnt give you the right to send people on their way who come to this site nor the right to pass judgement on others.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2012 at 11:54pm
Thanks for the welcome guys!

As far as "original" goes that ship has long since sunk for this boat. The engine is out of a cris craft, all of the interior guts are trashed/gone and generally will need a everything tweaked to make it fully functional again.

My current thoughts are:
-New glassed stringers front to back
-New 1/2 glassed floor attached with SS screws
-Respray the engine Old ford blue, make the wiring nice nice, replace any ugly components
-Bright red carpet
-Full length dash facia overlay 3/8 ply wrapped in red vinyl
-Tastefull aftermarket gauges
-Looks like new steering box and a new mid 70's mastercraft style steering wheel in order.
-Gas tank facia, red vinyl
-Seats, prob full length front bench, maybe 3/4 bench with port isle way red.
-Full width rear vinyl seats, red
-Exterior chrome, keep all original, rechrome/replace the junk with OEM.
-3M the windshield (prob hazed plexi, hard to tell)
-Get rid of all the blue

Suggestions are more than welcome!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 12:08am
Oh, and by pure coincidence my friend mike (I think his SN is whitelakemike?) has a 1961 american skier with a 302. An important factor is to make sure my boat ends up being the faster one, don't you think?

I will be picking this pile up around the 9th to 18th of march, we are making a road trip out of it. NY to florida and back! Any good sights to see on the way through guys???
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 1:30am
Welcome! If you're gonna make a road trip all the way down here to FL, then you might want to postpone another week and drive a few extra miles for the SJRR event. Kick off your introduction to Correct Crafts in style:

SJRR
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 1:53am
Welcome to CCF. A Mustang with a 351 will really move, and if you ever want to bump that up to 300 HP you'll leave your friend behind pretty quickly!

The boat looks really nice, and your plan looks great to me. The fact that you're going to go right at the stringers means you aren't worried about taking on the project, to be honest the prospect of a stringer job is pretty daunting for me.

Where in NY are you? Joe in NY on this site is an upstate guy, terrific souce of info on these boats. Good luck!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 2:13am
Plus one on the SJRR pickup plan.. I would do whatever possible to make that happen if I was you.

She is gonna need a little work to be sure. Interesting engine though. I started with worse and paid more.. if you are anywhere near the fingerlakes area let me know and I will be happy to get together and tell you all the stupid things I have done over the years so you can avoid them.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 5:52am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Welcome! If you're gonna make a road trip all the way down here to FL, then you might want to postpone another week and drive a few extra miles for the SJRR event. Kick off your introduction to Correct Crafts in style:

SJRR

Unfortunately its my spring break and I'm dedicated to class otherwise :(

On a side note, you guys seem like one hell of a group! What, 10 welcomes in a couple hours??

Hopefully I'll learn a couple new tricks from you guys and I may be able to return the favor.

And yes on the stringers, despite what they look like I will tear them out anyways. I plan on having this boat for, well, ever! This will be the 20ish floor job I've done and at least the 6th stringer job. I'm very excited, I've never had a boat worth putting money into.

I guess we should get this build thread started right, whats the swankest material I can make my stringers out of? I usually just replace with wood but if there is something much more bad *** I'd love to hear about it. Its always come down to price point with customers but I dont have to put up with that **** anymore!
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 6:08am
Talk with Joe about coosa (sp?) stringers. He is the expert on cossa and horsepower. He has the fastest correct craft on the site to date, despite having a hull generally believed to be slow. With his guidance you can smoke that 302.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 7:59am
Larry,
Come on, you know I need to always push my "keep it original"   

I welcomed him to the site and now that I've seen the pictures of the Mustang, I'm sure he'll be a great addition to the CCfan group.

"hussler"
Welcome again. Make sure you get at least your first name up in your profile. Once you've been around the site more, you will notice most here go by real names and not screen names. Yes, it's a fantastic group - none other like it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 2:22pm
   A few pics were already in here.

Thread: 1965 Mustang Project

I have lifting rings.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

A few pics were already in here.

Thread: 1965 Mustang Project

I have lifting rings.

Hahaha check that out! Glad I got it for less than he was asking, that would have sucked if I paid more than what he was asking for it. I think it is a fair deal, he gets 1250 for a pile of ****, I get a pile of ****! Well heres the pics transferred from that thread, because NO THREAD IS GOOD WITHOUT PICS!

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 5:11pm
Looks like someone put some Seacast on the stringer in front of the motor mount. That's what that pinkish-beige color looks like. Take the Fram oil filter off and put a FL-1A on it. Does it still have the number ID plate on the stringer? It should be about where the water hose is laying on the stringer.
Tim D
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Looks like someone put some Seacast on the stringer in front of the motor mount. That's what that pinkish-beige color looks like. Take the Fram oil filter off and put a FL-1A on it. Does it still have the number ID plate on the stringer? It should be about where the water hose is laying on the stringer.

Guy said he would look for the plate tomorrow, after he gets the title from his safety deposit box I'll prob run a napa gold/wix. The stringers are coming out regardless.

Any suggestions for CC build threads? I want to see what you guys have built!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 9:15pm
Jim.
Great choice on the Napa Gold or Wix. Best ones out there!

Thanks for getting your profile filled in.

Use the search feature and you will have plenty of reading to do with stringer jobs. Most are Doug Fir, some are composite non wood and I know of one that is LVL because he was in an area that he was having a hard time finding the Doug.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2012 at 10:58pm
Pete i was reading that thread , not a lot said about those lvls what would your take be on those , pros and cons,
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 1:11am
... Congrads to hussler on the purchase of my boat, "CC & Water" I have had this boat for 22 years, since 1990, and put a lot of hours on other engine, (302 LH) I was really looking forward to rebuilding it and keeping it forever, but life changes and it's better off going to a Cat like hussler, someone who has the skill to finish it right. After talking to him a few times on the phone I feel really good about the direction he's going with the boat as I was very attached to it and really wanted it to be lake worthy once more. I totaly respect some member here that think all boats can and must be restored to show level, but time has made that harder though the years, so hopefully hussler can do boat in his own style, use and enjoy this boat for 22 years like I did.....as far as what he paid, I can tell you that anybody that's bought a complete engine knows I lost money, but it's cool with me knowing hussler's going to keep this boat going.....I have loads of pics, but will forward them to hussler and let him decide what he wants to broadcast on the www...

But I feel safe telling the history of the boat as far back as I know.
The boat was purchased new by someone in north Georgia(name unknown to me), a close friend I knew in high school bought the boat around 1980, it would not crank and when he got it home to Tallahassee Fl, I went over and helped him get it running, had stuck points, and exhaust manifods rusted though. We replaced points and manifods/risers and skied on Lake Jackson Florida for the next few years....In 1985 or so, My friend took a job in Tampa and moved to an apartment where he could not park boat. It was covered and stored behind a shed in my backyard for the next 6 or so years. Neglected and out of sight, cover rotted, boat filled with pine straw, and rain water, trailer rusted, and boat eventully boat fell though tailer onto ground. In 1990 I sold my home and moved boat onto present trailer, cleaned out hull and covered it, stored at lot where i worked. Around 2000/2001 I got the itch to get it running, discovered orginal 260 engine block was cracked and replaced with LH 302 I bought and rebuilt. Boat was skied and run pretty hard for the next 4 or so years as I had a home on a large river near Tallahassee. However after 3 summers, engine developed a rear main seal leak that, while not pouring, should have been addresed. My then 16 y/o son ran it a few weeks on summer vacation and (you guessed it) ran it low enough it spun a rod bearing. I removed engine in spring 2005, then in July engine was lost in flood during hurricane Dennis (only a mounth before katrina) but boat was not at same location. (it was safely stored at my home in Tallahassee......
NO LONGER A MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 1:28am
....continued....After losing engine and related parts, like Holman moody front timing cover exhaust system, etc....Boat was put on back burner. Then in 2007 I again got the itch to get it running. At the time my dad had a older Shamrock inboard fishing boat that need a new engine as well. A search on e-bay and we together purchased a old late 60's Chris Craft Wood hull, like a 30 or so foot boat. Chris Craft had been repowered with 2 new 351 / 260hp fords. with 90 hours on each (engines had new gauge panels in engine room) We purchased entire boat for 3K. Boat was in Michigan and owner had lost interest. We salvaged engines, drives shafts etc... and junked rest of boat. I took the RH engine and my Pop used the LH... Engine was installed, transmission resealed, I took stainless plate and bent a 90 degree, bolted the plate though the side of stringer and used mercruiser big block chevy rubber insulated engine mounts, and all the other work that I stated in my for sale post. Engine idles very smooth, no shake, no vibration & I wish I would have had other engine on those mounts. I know there not OEM Show spec, but it's how CC should have built the mounts.. any rate,

I wish nothing but the best for hussler and I know there's a load on knowledge and passion for these boats here,I lurked here for years and used the site quite often for ideas and tips.... It's that passion the makes these boats the collectors ther are. I mean You dont see many 40+ year old Mastercrafts do you?
Respectfully,
Todd O'Neal
NO LONGER A MEMBER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

TimD, Not sure about the seacast, and there's none on the stringers but the entire hull inculding under the floor, & all the stringers are that same pinkish-beige color....stringers are no means rock solid, and are orginals, but don't seem to be an issue, hussler's got that on his to do list.
The yuky blue insides was painted on later....
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 1:59am
Thanks for your contribution Todd!!! I totally forgot to ask you, the engine that's in it now, has it ever been powered through the water or just installed and run on a hose?

Don't worry about it losing too much of its originality, I'll salvage what I can and keep it very tasteful. I know it must be tough to sell a machine you've had for a long time, but once you see all the time and money I'll have to put into this thing it wont seem so bad LOL!!

I intend to use this boat as she she meant to be used, for fun! I have driven cris'es, centurys, garwoods even a freaking dodge and while nice classics are fun to look at, it gets old soaking classics for customers just so they can sit all summer.

Oh, and heres a few pics of the bayliner I'll be selling in the spring. Figured it would be good to complete the circle of life on this thread.

Shes been an awesome boat but just isnt worth putting the money into the interior (slowly degrading) She has been super reliable over the years but its best is she lives out her days with a big family that can utilize such a monster. It was sweet owning a 50MPH sleeper but she just doesnt fit my personality.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 2:13am
Also Todd, I'm very thankful for your openness and honesty. It makes me very confident in my purchase. I have to drive a 15 year old Ford 1,400 miles for this thing, its best to get the idea in my head that there's nothing sugar coated about this craft. A engine that runs and no fist sized holes in the hull and it will be worth the trouble haha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 2:14am
Jim....The boat has not been put in water with current 351, It has a "T" in the pick up hose to tap a garden hose and run that way. There is also a garden hose fitting at the transom where you can hook up w/o opening engine cover, take a look at the e-bay pic of rear, it's located just to left of swim platform support bracket, just under rub rail. You maybe want to look at /replace impeller, only because of time... The engine had ran the 90 hours in the Chris Craft, Depending on my load at work, I'll try and send you a video on your phone of it running in a few days...I have a load of pics, I'll burn to a CD and give to you...will be in touch...Todd
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 3:41am
Sweet, can wait to hear her rumble.

Stinger thought, I was walking through lowes and was eyeballing their composite decking, what do you guys think about using that stuff for stingers? It has a nice texture to it for the glass to grab, seams like it has good structural properties and should never, ever deteriorate.

Not very interested in putting in any fir. I'm looking for max . Not really interested in that coosa stuff, they only sell it in big boards and I really dont want 400 bucks worth of scrap left over after this job. Ill make the floor out of ply but I really want the stingers to be composite. Never had a customer request composite stringers so this is all new to me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

Stinger thought, I was walking through lowes and was eyeballing their composite decking, what do you guys think about using that stuff for stingers? It has a nice texture to it for the glass to grab, seams like it has good structural properties and should never, ever deteriorate.

Not very interested in putting in any fir. I'm looking for max . Not really interested in that coosa stuff, they only sell it in big boards and I really dont want 400 bucks worth of scrap left over after this job. Ill make the floor out of ply but I really want the stingers to be composite. Never had a customer request composite stringers so this is all new to me.

If you spend some time using the site's search feature, you will find that using composite decking is really a bad idea. Using it has been dicussed as well as being tested. The bottom line is the bond is bad. Even using epoxy, the basic component is recycled PE from old milk bottles. PE is what's used for glue containers since the glues do not stick.

"Structural properties"? look into the details - They recommend never going beyond 16" centers for the joists!

I also feel if you looked at the flex modulus specs between it and Doug Fir, you would be in shock!!!

You mentioned "customers"? Are you in the boat restoration biz?
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I have driven cris'es, centurys, garwoods even a freaking dodge and while nice classics are fun to look at, it gets old soaking classics for customers just so they can sit all summer.

Soaking? The only hull that needs soaking is a single plank on batten. Please, fill me in on your trade.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 11:04am
Where in the adks are you? Good luck with the project.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2012 at 12:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 32>
  Share Topic