NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 29303132>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I know it's bad enough where I have to snug down the packing quite a bit over the last two years

The rudder port packing can be tightened lots more that what you would do on the prop shaft packing and is typical. The rudder shaft isn't constantly rotating like the prop shaft is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 5:42pm
Good news, shaft had only about 1/4 play all directions. Bad news, rudder has a small crack right where the rudder casting meets the shaft casting. Not sure if it's been there this whole time or if it's been developing, definitely has something to do with the bend. I don't know where I could find somebody to take a look at welding it but don't feel too comfortable about using it now. Camera couldn't pick it up, it's about 1/8 deep, looks like it's tearing
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 6:34pm

I don't know where I could find somebody to take a look at welding it but don't feel too comfortable about using it now. Camera couldn't pick it up, it's about 1/8 deep, looks like it's tearing

Jim,
Have a prop shop look at it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2016 at 7:07pm
I had a prop shop look at mine they thought they could straighten it. they gave it bck to me in 2 pieces
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I had a prop shop look at mine they thought they could straighten it. they gave it bck to me in 2 pieces

I actually lol'd at that (sorry for your loss)

So because summers coming up on me quick I saw a Correct Craft rudder on ebay and just snatched in up. Says it's for a full size tournament ski nautique, it's definitely a little larger I'll post up pics when it arrives. It was only $70 shipped so if it doesn't look like it will work out no great loss
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 8:51pm
Jim,
Did you check the size of the port needed?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 9:56pm
Welp, the rudder I bought was a bust, bent to the left. Doesn't have any real mares on it so I can understand it being a honest mistake. Back to square one I guess
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 10:07pm
Jim,
I gather the prop shop you took your existing rudder to said they couldn't fix it. If so, I'd suggest trying another shop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 9:13am
doesnt Glen-L have an assortment of rudders?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 9:30am

They do but wow, $$$ and some are chrome platted steel!

Buck Algonquin has more

I'd sure look into the repair first.
Jim,
Do you have a picture of the rudder you can post so we can take a look at how bad it is?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

They do but wow, $$$ and some are chrome platted steel!

Buck Algonquin has more

I'd sure look into the repair first.
Jim,
Do you have a picture of the rudder you can post so we can take a look at how bad it is?

I would be leaning heavily towards a “speed rudder” in that boat.   The stock rudders work well for lower speed maneuverability but they have a tendency to suck air and stall, that coupled with a low nose and hard chines likes to flip the boat around as previously discussed. One remedy employed successfully on several fast 16 foot boats around these parts is a speed rudder or a hybrid design rudder. They are less available than they used to be but if you keep your eyes out you will find one.   A plate behind the rudder to prevent sucking air might help as well.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I would be leaning heavily towards a “speed rudder” in that boat.   The stock rudders work well for lower speed maneuverability but they have a tendency to suck air and stall, that coupled with a low nose and hard chines likes to flip the boat around as previously discussed. One remedy employed successfully on several fast 16 foot boats around these parts is a speed rudder or a hybrid design rudder. They are less available than they used to be but if you keep your eyes out you will find one.   A plate behind the rudder to prevent sucking air might help as well.   

Joe, I am interested in the speed rudder also. Saw some listed and I don't see why a stock one could not be reshaped into a speed type. Looked as though it is a case of removing stock and re-contouring as opposed to adding material. Explain the plate behind the rudder also. PM me if you don't want to go into all the details on this site. I can give you my cell # if needed. Also have thought about "softening" my chines. Thoughts??
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 12:48pm
Duane I wouldn't mind talking it over sometime but a lot has already been covered here in various threads like this one
Old thread with a talk on skiing vs speed needs

I would be careful on modifying a rudder that you are going to run fast.. they do break and some act crazy when even a little off in my experience... you would be better off welding one up in steel and shaping if that was the route you wanted to go
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 1:16pm
Good reading material Joe. Thanks,
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 2:44pm
That's it Buck algonquin.. I remember the race rudders but also that when i wanted one every design i looked at was backordered for what seemed forever
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2016 at 1:14am
Hm, interesting. As far as driveability at high speed it steers quite nicely, but the thought of rudder stall is always at the back of my mind.

I'll run my rudder by my prop guy, but the thought of fixing the crack doesn't really make my socks go up and down.

I could make a rudder plate pretty easily, so I might just do that for kicks.

I have a buddy that has a rudder from a '85 tique I was going to check out.

I was also thinking about the rudder that century put on the small v drive Arabians and Marks, those are about 17ft boats capable of 50Mph+, seems like it would be pretty close in specs to what I'm looking for
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2016 at 1:26am
Good news, got the rudder off a Ski Tique for $50 that is mint, should be here in a couple days. And I'm also now in this I guess, boat owners encyclopedia, and I got a FREE STICKER!

As soon as the sign up is open I'll be going to the Old Forge Rendezvous which should be a good time.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2016 at 1:34am
I think that's the same rudder I posted in my pic. Did you get the port too?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2016 at 2:02am

Hm, interesting. As far as driveability at high speed it steers quite nicely, but the thought of rudder stall is always at the back of my mind.

I'll run my rudder by my prop guy, but the thought of fixing the crack doesn't really make my socks go up and down.

I could make a rudder plate pretty easily, so I might just do that for kicks.

I have a buddy that has a rudder from a '85 tique I was going to check out.

I was also thinking about the rudder that century put on the small v drive Arabians and Marks, those are about 17ft boats capable of 50Mph+, seems like it would be pretty close in specs to what I'm looking for

Here's the rudder on my Mark II

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2016 at 3:56am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I think that's the same rudder I posted in my pic. Did you get the port too?

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2016 at 4:09am
Hmm after staring at quite a few pics I don't think it's from a Correct Craft at all, measures out to almost identical measurements as a 80's cc rudder but this rudder comes to a point, interesting I guess?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 4:37am
I have terrible news, the rudder is off a... Mastercraft haha.

I'll now have parts off a Century (ladder, exhaust outlets) Chris craft (step pad frames) and Mastercraft
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 11:45am
Just finished testing the trim tabs, writing this from my hospital bed...

Just kidding

This upgrade couldn't of been more of a success, I went on the first run with my boss, got it up to about 42mph when it started porpoiseing, lowered the tabs a little and boom gone! We both looked at each other like F#ck yeah, fixed! Trimmed it out a little more and brought it up to 53mph. It felt more stable than it ever had.

Only 2 cons I can think of, there's a huge jet boat like ploom that pops up when you start trimming and I'm not a big fan of how they look. Might paint the actuators white. I'll take a video today
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 11:46am
Just finished testing the trim tabs, writing this from my hospital bed...

Just kidding

This upgrade couldn't of been more of a success, I went on the first run with my boss, got it up to about 42mph when it started porpoiseing, lowered the tabs a little and boom gone! We both looked at each other like F#ck yeah, fixed! Trimmed it out a little more and brought it up to 53mph. It felt more stable than it ever had.

Only 2 cons I can think of, there's a huge jet boat like ploom that pops up when you start trimming and I'm not a big fan of how they look. Might paint the actuators white. I'll take a video today
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 11:50am

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 11:51am
Patiently waiting for the video! Good to hear they worked and here is to hoping they continue to do so safely!
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 3:37pm
Someone check on Pete. I think he might have passed out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2016 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Someone check on Pete. I think he might have passed out.

No, I'm still here! I just got home from wearing the orange apron all day. The DIY'rs were nuts today!!!

I'm waiting on the video as well and certainly hope the tabs work out especially from the aspect of safety.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 6:58pm
Anxious to see that video posted here...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2016 at 8:46pm
Sorry it's been pouring here most days, might clear up Tuesday. Had 5 people in the boat and it felt great at 52mph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 29303132>
  Share Topic