NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2829303132>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 11:46pm
Oh no, not built vs bought here.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2016 at 12:52am
Today's the 4th year anniversary of winning the Mustang on ebay, shoulda bought it some rum!
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 3:18am
I'm currently putting together a 4.7l stroker kit for my Jeep, the urge to stroke the boat to a 408w is strong. I can get a complete rotating assembly for $1700 with custom Pistons so that the dish/ valve reliefs are on the correct side. Besides the boring of the block and gaskets that would be a full setup. Might benefit from a larger carb/intake manifold down the road. That would certainly make for a Biblical holeshot.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2016 at 1:27am
My trim tabs were just finished up, look great in the pics the guy sent me. Can't wait to get them on the boat. I'll polish them up before they go on
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2016 at 9:23am
be careful you don.t snow plow that bow into the water. they get really dangerous. I cant imagine the trim tabs actuators and pistons can react fast enough.Hell the human reaction isn't fast enough..
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2016 at 12:14am
It was very controllable on the Chris, I think as long as I'm modest with the adjustments I should be fine.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2016 at 1:11am
How big of a Chris ?

I agree with Peter.   Those are some mighty big tabs for such a little boat.

Take a video cam for the test run.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2016 at 9:11am
make sure the first thing you say to your passenger     .Hey hold my beer and watch this
Have you actually had this happen to you in any boats yet?
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 12:54am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

make sure the first thing you say to your passenger     .Hey hold my beer and watch this
Have you actually had this happen to you in any boats yet?

You make it sound that this will happen without question, how many inboards with trim tabs have you had this happen to you?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 10:27am
none. I really don't know anything.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 10:39am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

none. I really don't know anything.

Peter,
It's a good thing you didn't tab that Skylark. As I recall, you reported plenty of hull performance issues without them! I can only imagine what would happen with them and the 350!.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 5:18pm
I think what I said above is true. These boats have very high odds of rudder stall and driving the bow down faster than you can blink an eye. fighting the steering wheel and diving out of the throttle are almost futile efforts. Retracting trim tabs . well maybe he is putting light speed actuators in. If its a hey its my boat attitude like i had thats his business. Its usually the passengers that suffer. In my humble opinion based only on ignorance they are ugly as s*#t anyway .
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2016 at 10:19pm
Did some polishing on the tabs today, cut through the haze with 1000 grit then went at it with the polishing wheel. Still needs another hour or so of polishing.

Also, a little background on the shape and size, talking back and forth with lenco they believed that the 9x12 would be a little oversize 9x9 being about perfect. I cut mine out to 9x12 and then trimmed off the corners and bent up the edges to make them more ridged. I asked lenco about the angular shape of the racing ones and the purpose is to allow very incremental adjustment, the square ones being more linear. Based off my measurements fully retracted they should be invisible, much more so than is necessary. That limits my down travel but from what I've experienced so far, I don't need much down travel.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2016 at 12:59am
This should prove to be very interesting.
One thing about it, you should be able to drive down the lake by yourself in a level inboard.
Just be careful out there.   I'd be willing to bet that you will be able to make the boat submarine.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 8:48pm
Got them all polished up, I'll pull the gas tank ect in the coming weeks. Might paint the cylinders the same white as the bottom of the boat, well see.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2016 at 11:39pm
I am patiently awaiting the results. They look good in that picture.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2016 at 4:14pm
Thanks, I spent a LOT of time polishing the damn things lol
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 12:39pm
Just messing around with the Mustang today and I've noticed the rudder is getting really wallered out, it wasn't great when I first reinstalled it and now it's really worn on the shaft. So I'm thinking about replacing it.

From what I've read overall rudder size (surface area) is relative to the size of the boat but the shape is dictated by what the boat is used for (v hull, race, ect) Since the overall speed of the Mustang is faster should o consider a different shaped rudder or is the basic Correct Craft style still relevant?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 12:49pm
Jim,
I'd suggest waiting and try the existing rudder before making any changes. My gut feeling is to not go any bigger since you certainly don't want to create any oversteer or steering abruptness with the engine you have in the Mustang.

BTW, boring and bushing the port is an option. Also keep in mind the rudder shaft to port bore is typically pretty sloppy even when new.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 1:14pm
Some have said the newer style is an improvement over the original lily pad style. I changed mine over only because I had one. I also cut off the part of the port that hung below the bottom too. I really didn't notice a difference,but that could just be me. One from a later Mustang will work for sure,maybe a later 70's Nautique will also,get the port with it to.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 2:14pm
But, boring a 1" log to a 1 1/4" won't leave enough space for packing.

woops, sorry Pete, didn't notice the word "bushing".
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, boring and bushing the port is an option. Also keep in mind the rudder shaft to port bore is typically pretty sloppy even when new.

Pete, I like the idea of bushing the bore. But why sloppy when new?? Looks like installing an O-Ring at the bottom and a zerk in the middle would work well. Then pack the top. Owning the equipment to make or repair parts is certainly a plus, except we tend to reinvent the wheel sometimes.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 8:22pm
Duane,
I'd have to guess that when new, the clearance is around. 005 which to a machinist like yourself, that's pretty sloppy! There was never any reason to go with a tight fit. The packing holds to shaft tight and there's no worry about rotation like the prop shaft. Get your old slide rule out and trig out the movement you would get at the bottom with a rudder about 12" tall and a rudder port about 5" tall. With the packing at the top of the 5", it's close to a zero clearance there so the .005 is only at the bottom of the 5". I'll guess it's about 1/4"??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 8:34pm
For us non machinist's would you be able to repair the port with only a lathe?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

For us non machinist's would you be able to repair the port with only a lathe?

Gary,
Yes, with the OD (not the flange) of the port being round it's an easy chuck up. There are some fantastic stainless shelled bushings that are Frelon (a PTFE) that have pretty thin shells with a wall thickness at 3/32".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 10:52pm
I forgot to say its also a little bent, I ignored that at the time I first installed it and always figured I'd go back at some point to replace it. now that I have to pull the gas tank I'm figuring its a good time to do it
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 11:33pm

Duane,
I'll guess it's about 1/4"??

With .005 total slop I came up with approx .017 movement. at the bottom of 12" rudder.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Duane,

With .005 total slop I came up with approx .017 movement. at the bottom of 12" rudder.

Duane,
Thanks. Is that a total both ways from center? I expected more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I forgot to say its also a little bent,

Jim,
Just like a strut, rudders can be straightened too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2016 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Duane,

Interesting I'll check mine tomorrow. Probably not a great method for checking slop unless you undo the packing but its a place to start

I know it's bad enough where I have to snug down the packing quite a bit over the last two years
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2829303132>
  Share Topic